Shadow of the Colossus

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Sometimes i forget why i love video games, and it takes certain titles to remind me why i'll be playing games until i physically am not able to anymore. Shadow of the Colossus in not only a great gameplay experience, it's also a work of art, plain and simple. If you call yourself a gamer, pick up one of the best games ever seen in this freaking century![/COLOR]

Posted by veritas

You're right. This game is amzing

Posted by Big Boss

I played the demo, and the game's beautiful. I'm definitely picking it up before the year's end.

Those ICO developers sure know their stuff.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I got it Wenesday. And all I can say is that it is a work of art. I feel the same way you do Aioros. At times I think I should just stop playing games. And then works of art like this come a long and I too remember why I play video games. This is a most have for anyone that owns a PS2.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

haven't had a chance to get it yet, since I'm strapped for cash from all the other games I've bought recently. I'm hoping to get it before the month's end. It looks amazing, there's just no way I can pass it up.

Posted by muffla

thinkin about buying it

how does it compare to god of war?

They're two very different games, really...

Posted by Arczu

Friggin looks awesome. It's just got to play as well huh?

I remember seeing this and that was crazy. You versus a 340 foot giant, it's original isn't it? I really want to play the game too, just from what I saw.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting muffla: thinkin about buying it

how does it compare to god of war?

[COLOR="Yellow"]You shouldn't compare it to God of War, or any other game you know of, that's what makes it so great. Just play the game and take it for what it its. What David Jaffe said is both true and unfortunate. This game will suffer in sales because of it's originality and uniqueness. SotC is one of the best games ever created, but gamers are too busy playing Madden 2006 to realize that. Thankfully, Sony continues giving these guys the financial support needed to keep creating great games.[/COLOR]

Quoting Arczu: Friggin looks awesome. It's just got to play as well huh?

I remember seeing this and that was crazy. You versus a 340 foot giant, it's original isn't it? I really want to play the game too, just from what I saw.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Of course it's original, but trying to describe what makes this game so great is like trying to describe what makes sunsets beautiful. Just wait until your first encounter with a colossus, it is jaw-dropping to say the least. I was looking at this monstrous thing, walking with it's back against me, ignoring me like i wasn't even there. I shot an arrow at it's head from afar because i had no idea how exactly i was even going to attempt defeating this thing. Then it turned it's head and started walking towards me, not only shaking the ground but leaving crater-like footprints with each step, it was insane. And unlike any game or movie i have ever seen before, as it gets closer, you actually feel the enormous size of these things, and it is scary.[/COLOR]

Posted by nich

I just checked out the videos for this, after hearing very little about it. It looks really good, first off, but based on the videos I'm having trouble seeing this as a work of art. I mean the colosuss' are huge and look fantastic, and the environments are beautiful, yet work of art? Maybe I have to play the actuall game to get the whole feel, I'll be renting it pretty soon I think, to see If it's as good as everyone says it is.

EDIT: This is developed by sony!? finally a fraction of my respect to them as a developer.

Yeah, screenshots and videos do it no justice. You have to play it.

Posted by KMFDM

Well I plane on Renting the SOTC it looks good but I thinks its one of those games I have to try before I bey. It does look very Beautiful but from what I hear it takes some time to find each Colossus. That may be fine fore the people that like looking around a big land scape but I have like really bad ADD so its hard for me.

Posted by BEZ1

I really really want this game. This and God of War. Which one should I get since I can only afford one right now?

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting BEZ1: I really really want this game. This and God of War. Which one should I get since I can only afford one right now?

God of War is the safer bet, as its crazy action is a hard miss. SoC may turn off gamers that aren't willing to embrace its unique gameplay approach to roam around for a dozen minutes before finding your next target.

Either way though, you'll eventually have to play Shadow of the Colossus.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Yeah. Go with God of War. Don't get me wrong though, Shadow of the Colossus is a great, but because of the way its set up. Just riding around looking for Colossi and killing them. You may get bored with it. I would go with God of War first and then get Shadow of the Colossus.

Posted by spork

I played the demo and its pretty awesome! I wasnt too into the camera though :(

Posted by Lord of Spam

I've heard that there are some major camera issues, and that its one of the games that you end up loving, but still hating for its one niggling little flaw.

Posted by Bebop

I haven't read too much into this. I haven't even read a review. Looks interesting. But it also looks dumb. From what I've heard you just kill one big monster one after the other. Just sounds like killing lots of bosses.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Bebop: I haven't read too much into this. I haven't even read a review. Looks interesting. But it also looks dumb. From what I've heard you just kill one big monster one after the other. Just sounds like killing lots of bosses.

That seems to be the main concern for most people.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]It's like a love/hate relationship.[/COLOR]

Posted by nich

ok, so, I finally rented this and like I originally thought it's overrated. The main concern for most people is the main concern for me aswell, fighting the colossus' is really sweet but looking for them is a whole other story. The environments are super nice but theres just nothing going on in them, untill you find another colossus. It just feels so wierd getting dropped into the story without much plot developement. Also, why is that horse so friekin huge? Overall I'd say really good game, but not 94. whatever percent good, and no reason to forget about zelda or anything.

Posted by gundelhell_wielder

okokok....fun game,beautiful vast land,really,really creative game...anyways the d4mn camera,too easy and what the hell happened with a plot(it has one but...you get the point...)those where the bad points of the game...
anyways i think its a must buy...right now im so into the game that i spend hours in front of the tv playing sotc(like 5 or 6 hours to be exact)...

Posted by Lord of Spam

Played it recently.

I'm not going to mess around here. I think the game is a peice of sh1t. The concept of nothing but boss fights seemed fun, but the huge stretches of time between them left me aching for mindless goons. Not only that, but the main character moves like a moron. He runs, walks, and generally behaves as if he is struggling to overcome crippling retardation. In addition, the physics were terrible. At one point, I launched myself off a cliff of several hundred feet, only to land the jump, and then fall over.

As for the creaturesand envirnments, yes, they're big and pretty. But if thats all it takes to impress you, then thats rather sad. Its like seeing one of the best looking pies ever, but finding out when you bite into it that it's filled with dung.

How this game got 94%, I'll never know.