Dream Theater covers "The Dark Side Of The Moon"

Posted by Richaod

[quote=Wikipedia]On October 11th, 2005, Dream Theater covered Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, their third classic album cover. Dream Theater's official webpage states: "The 2nd sets of the 2nd nights in Amsterdam, London, Buenos Aires and Tokyo (October 11th, October 25th, December 4th and January 13th) will be a classic album covered in its entirety." As of right now, it is unknown whether Dream Theater will play the same classic album at the London, Buenos Aires and Tokyo concerts.

I just discovered that, and very spontaneously. Because Hyper said Dream Theater covered "Comfortably Numb", and I checked Wikipedia. Hurray.

Downloading ASAP. Hopefully. I can't wait to hear James LaBrie absolutely murder "The Great Gig In The Sky". :D

if only they had Theresa Thomason again.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Boo.

Posted by Porcupine

Why do they have to rape such a rad album? ;o;

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Meh. I'm not into Pink Floyd much, too boring for my tastes.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I wish people would leave Pink Floyd alone. First Korn and Kittie rape them over with their covers. Maybe. Just Maybe. Dream Theater can do it right this time and they won't change anything or add retarded things like screaming and point less crap like that.

Posted by Klarth

Dream Theater? Screaming? Never.

Ahem.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Vampire Slayer: You haven't heard much DT, have you?

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin_Akuma: Meh. I'm not into Pink Floyd much, too boring for my tastes.

The Great Gig In The Sky and Bike own. :) High Hopes seriously sounds like it was written by Tuomas Holopainen of Nightwish, too.

I didn't know that Korn and Kittie covered Pink Floyd. What songs?

oh, and OSI did Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun, need to listen to that too.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Stop. Talking. About. Dream. Theater.

NOW.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting MetalVox~55: Stop. Talking. About. Dream. Theater.

NOW.

Hey, people want to know. I said practically nothing about them (nothing in my last post); I simply quoted and said that JLB will murder The Great Gig In The Sky, and it's pretty clear that he will.

lol, let's stop talking about a band that appeals to the majority of the people on the forum and an article that interests them because MetalVox said so!11!one nobody has any interest in dream theatre or pink floyd!

Seriously though, this is the kind of thing people want to know about. If you'd prefer them not to know for the sake of you not hearing about Dream Theater, then I'd suggest you take your opinions to the music discussion blog. We had six pages of absolute crap on that AC/DC thread (contributed by me, too)... go complain about that. This is worthwhile discussion, and there's absolutely no rule in this board that we can't discuss Dream Theater.

[/rant]

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Richaod: lol, let's stop talking about a band that appeals to the majority of the people on the forum and an article that interests them because MetalVox said so!11!one nobody has any interest in dream theatre or pink floyd!

Dude, 80%+ of your posts in this section of VGC have included the words Rudess, Petrucci, LaBrie, Theatre, Theater, Dream, Stream, Consciousness, DT, Portnoy, John. Christ, don't you think you're sucking DT's proverbial dick enough? I'm still a fan of Dream Theater, but ****in' christ, I don't want to hear about them in every post on this music forum!

Quoting Richaod: Seriously though, this is the kind of thing people want to know about. If you'd prefer them not to know for the sake of you not hearing about Dream Theater, then I'd suggest you take your opinions to the music discussion blog. We had six pages of absolute crap on that AC/DC thread (contributed by me, too)... go complain about that. This is worthwhile discussion, and there's absolutely no rule in this board that we can't discuss Dream Theater.

[/rant]

No ****, but i'm addressing -YOU-. There are more bands out there than just Dream Theater and it's fledgling spin-offs. Yeah, they're good at music. Yeah, they're quite talented. Yeah, i'm sick of hearing about them.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Richaod]...because MetalVox said so!11!one nobody has any interest in dream theatre or pink floyd!
He didn't say that no one has an interest in Dream Theater or Pink Floyd, he just told you to stop talking about Dream Theater so much. You do it excessively, Richaod and even when people raise this fact to your attention, you still fail to lower the amount of times references to the band, or its music, are made. He isn't saying that no one doesn't want to hear, he's saying that you say the same thing way too often. I'm certain that the entire music board, and three quarters of the rest of the board heard you the first few times.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

post anything about Dream Theater here. If you have DT news, post it here. If you think the sound your stool made hitting the water sounded like Neil Peart making a wicked drum solo, then post it here. If you masturbate incessantly to the thoughts of James Labrie so much as giving you the time of day, this is your thread. Fill this thread with Dream Theater creamy goodness. Note, this also applies to the band Dream Theatre, for ye olde Britishe types. Richoad, have at it.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

problem solved

http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?p=147648#post147648

edit: hah http://www.google.com/search?q=richoad+dream+theater&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&safe=off&filter=0

Posted by TheSecondComing

'You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bj Blaskowitz again.'

Posted by sabre

Neal Peart is in Rush. :( Either way, neat idea. Stickied. And, note that anyone who comes in to say "YOU'RE ALL SHEEP" or some other uninformed, presumptuous crap (as this thread practically asks for) will get their posts deleted. Music board's rid of multiple Dream Theater threads, DT fans are rid of morons. Rad?

Posted by Porcupine

12 pages of results. lmao :)

Posted by Richaod

Well, you'd better merge the various threads (um... there's only one of them... so there isn't really much point in this thread, is there?) then.

The first person to call for the movement of a DT-mentioning post in threads like Currently Playing is seriously going to be hurt though.

Posted by netman

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=richaod+dream+theater

its even worse when its spelled right!

Posted by netman

I disagree with the stickiness of this thread, though.

Posted by sabre

You're just jealous of its ability to be made all sticky by me. :(

Posted by Richaod

Quoting netman: I disagree with the stickiness of this thread, though.

I guarantee it will be inactive within a few weeks. Not after I've said this, though. :(

When I flushed the toilet, it sounded rather similar to Mike Portnoy's drum solo at 2:58 in Stream of Consciousness, track 6 of 7 from the 2003 Dream Theater album Train of Thought, song composed by John Myung/Mike Portnoy/John Petrucci/Jordan Rudess, total length 11:16.256, average rating 4/5 stars genre is Progressive Metal. Total album length 1:09:19, total amount of memory when imported at 320 kbps AAC being 159.9 MB.

Hey, that's a valid comment now. :D

Posted by sabre

Quoting Richaod: if only they had Theresa Thomason again.

http://dreamtheater.net/bb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89877

They do.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting MetalVox~55]Dude, 80%+ of your posts in this section of VGC have included the words Rudess, Petrucci, LaBrie, Theatre, Theater, Dream, Stream, Consciousness, DT, Portnoy, John. Christ, don't you think you're sucking DT's proverbial dick enough? I'm still a fan of Dream Theater, but ****in' christ, I don't want to hear about them in every post on this music forum!
You're clearly exaggerating. http://www.vgchat.com/search.php?searchid=115426 - let's work down the list. Dream Theater covers... well, obviously, that's warranted. Currently playing, obvious. Bands by alphabet... includes a mention. Something like orgy? Nope. O3? I didn't mention Dream Theater: No ****, but i'm addressing -YOU-. There are more bands out there than just Dream Theater and it's fledgling spin-offs. Yeah, they're good at music. Yeah, they're quite talented. Yeah, i'm sick of hearing about them.

Hah, since when do I only listen to Dream Theater and the members' side projects? Ever looked at my Last.fm account? What did I start (unfortunately inactive) threads about Arcturus and In Flames for? Most of the music I listen to is very variable in scope and genre, and I'm quite possibly listening to more artists than you. You must have made at least 10 Evergrey posts in the last few pages of "Currently Playing".

[quote=Trigger]He didn't say that no one has an interest in Dream Theater or Pink Floyd, he just told you to stop talking about Dream Theater so much. You do it excessively, Richaod and even when people raise this fact to your attention, you still fail to lower the amount of times references to the band, or its music, are made. He isn't saying that no one doesn't want to hear, he's saying that you say the same thing way too often. I'm certain that the entire music board, and three quarters of the rest of the board heard you the first few times.
Why do you always pop up for these types of threads? Seriously though, saying the same thing too often? I just found out that they covered a Pink Floyd album; it's not like I've posted about this before. The only multiple mention of anything I can recall is that Hendrix vs. Petrucci thread, and I stated that Stream of Consciousness > anything Hendrix can play multiple times because Creature wasn't getting the point. People want to know, more so than people want to hear about them less. The majority's desire gets put first.

You don't stop arguing or reduce the amount of times it happens either, and clearly that's been discussed at length, far more than any Dream Theater spammage or non-existent bandwagons.

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz]edit: hah http://www.google.com/search?q=richo...e=off&filter=0
Most of those posts were made by other people where I'd posted in the same thread. Although the incorrect spelling is surprisingly high... but then again, it's in signatures and you've probably all posted in the same Dream Theater-related threads too.

[url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=klarth+dream+theater&btnG=Search]Klarth + Dream Theater[/url]... 187 results. (more for Alpha Weapon too, Majesty obviously doesn't count)
[url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=sabredog+dream+theater&btnG=Search]Sabredog + Dream Theater[/url]... 612 results.
[url=http://www.google.com.au/search?q=metalvox~55+dream+theater&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official]MetalVox~55 + Dream Theater[/url]... 439 results.
[url=http://www.google.com.au/search?hs=EKl&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=bj+blaskowitz+dream+theater&btnG=Search&meta=]Bj Blaskowitz + Dream Theater[/url]... 418 results.
Still heaps.

Hey, let's get a few things straight here. More people like Dream Theater than are annoyed by supposedly constant mentions of it (with overlap). I made this thread as a one-off thread that I thought people would be interested in, and they are. Believe it or not, I've never made another thread specifically about the band; Gigantour, DT vs. Symphony X, Octavarium, Dream Theater covering Master Of Puppets and the short-lived Dream Theater blog were all made by others. If you value a petty, ignorable annoyance over people listening to good music, go kill Raptor and netman and blame them for any bandwagons that may or may not have arisen.

Response to Sabredog: HALLELUJAH JAMES LABRIE DOESN'T MURDER US ALL. :D

Posted by Klarth

I have thought long and hard about this one, and I've come to the conclusion that you're dumb.

:)

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Klarth: I have thought long and hard about this one, and I've come to the conclusion that you're dumb.

absolutely spiffing, chap. lol I can talk

Posted by Porcupine

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Klarth again.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Porcupine: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Klarth again.

A step-by-step analysis would be nice. Hey, I put in the effort.

Posted by Porcupine

Well okay.

[QUOTE=Richaod]You're clearly exaggerating. http://www.vgchat.com/search.php?searchid=115426 - let's work down the list. Dream Theater covers... well, obviously, that's warranted. Currently playing, obvious. Bands by alphabet... includes a mention. Something like orgy? Nope. O3? I didn't mention Dream Theater; there isn't a mention of them in the entire thread, even though it's about Charlie Dominici. Number of the Beast, no. What got you involved? No. Recommendations; there's really no need for it. There's also nothing about them on the second page and many others. I post about Dream Theater when prompted; I'll make comparisons when there are warranted links. Cocksucking? Have you heard me criticizing Octavarium and Jordan Rudess' keyboard solos? My great dislike of James LaBrie's live singing? I'm not a fanboy (not even of Images And Words), I'm a fan of them. Shut up.

[QUOTE=Richaod]Hah, since when do I only listen to Dream Theater and the members' side projects? Ever looked at my Last.fm account? What did I start (unfortunately inactive) threads about Arcturus and In Flames for? Most of the music I listen to is very variable in scope and genre, and I'm quite possibly listening to more artists than you. You must have made at least 10 Evergrey posts in the last few pages of "Currently Playing". Shut up.

[QUOTE=Richaod]Why do you always pop up for these types of threads? Seriously though, saying the same thing too often? I just found out that they covered a Pink Floyd album; it's not like I've posted about this before. The only multiple mention of anything I can recall is that Hendrix vs. Petrucci thread, and I stated that Stream of Consciousness > anything Hendrix can play multiple times because Creature wasn't getting the point. People want to know, more so than people want to hear about them less. The majority's desire gets put first. Shut up.

[QUOTE=Richaod]You don't stop arguing or reduce the amount of times it happens either, and clearly that's been discussed at length, far more than any Dream Theater spammage or non-existent bandwagons.Shut up.

[QUOTE=Richaod]Most of those posts were made by other people where I'd posted in the same thread. Although the incorrect spelling is surprisingly high... but then again, it's in signatures and you've probably all posted in the same Dream Theater-related threads too.Shut up.

[QUOTE=Richaod][url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=klarth+dream+theater&btnG=Search]Klarth + Dream Theater[/url]... 187 results. (more for Alpha Weapon too, Majesty obviously doesn't count)
[url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=sabredog+dream+theater&btnG=Search]Sabredog + Dream Theater[/url]... 612 results.
[url=http://www.google.com.au/search?q=metalvox~55+dream+theater&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official]MetalVox~55 + Dream Theater[/url]... 439 results.
[url=http://www.google.com.au/search?hs=EKl&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=bj+blaskowitz+dream+theater&btnG=Search&meta=]Bj Blaskowitz + Dream Theater[/url]... 418 results.
Still heaps.Shut up.

[QUOTE=Richaod]Hey, let's get a few things straight here. More people like Dream Theater than are annoyed by supposedly constant mentions of it (with overlap). I made this thread as a one-off thread that I thought people would be interested in, and they are. Believe it or not, I've never made another thread specifically about the band; Gigantour, DT vs. Symphony X, Octavarium, Dream Theater covering Master Of Puppets and the short-lived Dream Theater blog were all made by others. If you value a petty, ignorable annoyance over people listening to good music, go kill Raptor and netman and blame them for any bandwagons that may or may not have arisen.Shut up.

[QUOTE=Richaod]Response to Sabredog: HALLELUJAH JAMES LABRIE DOESN'T MURDER US ALL. :DShut up.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Richaod]You're clearly exaggerating. http://www.vgchat.com/search.php?searchid=115426 - let's work down the list. Dream Theater covers... well, obviously, that's warranted. Currently playing, obvious. Bands by alphabet... includes a mention. Something like orgy? Nope. O3? I didn't mention Dream Theater:
:rolleyes: You know I didn't restrict my statement to only the first page. And yes, you are QUITE the fanboy. Your lame attempt to make yourself not look like one isn't doing too well.

Quoting Richaod: Hah, since when do I only listen to Dream Theater and the members' side projects? Ever looked at my Last.fm account? What did I start (unfortunately inactive) threads about Arcturus and In Flames for? Most of the music I listen to is very variable in scope and genre, and I'm quite possibly listening to more artists than you. You must have made at least 10 Evergrey posts in the last few pages of "Currently Playing".

Where did I say that you only listened to one band? I said you TALKED about them far too often. And well done in trying to get in a cock battle with me over "im listening to more people than you!" And I'm quite aware that i've posted a bunch in the Currently Playing about Evergrey. Not my fault they kick *** and deserve priority over other bands.

[QUOTE=Richaod]Why do you always pop up for these types of threads? Seriously though, saying the same thing too often? I just found out that they covered a Pink Floyd album; it's not like I've posted about this before. The only multiple mention of anything I can recall is that Hendrix vs. Petrucci thread, and I stated that Stream of Consciousness > anything Hendrix can play multiple times because Creature wasn't getting the point. People want to know, more so than people want to hear about them less. The majority's desire gets put first.

It doesn't matter if you haven't posted about it before. It's in the same context: Dream Theater! Dream Theater! You're ****ing retarded.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I have no idea what I was thinking about when I typed Pearth P(

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I can't help but feel weird hearing all this hype now, when I remember my friend Sam introducing me to DT like 6 years ago. Go figure. Crap, this should be in the other thread

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Quoting Vampiro: Vampire Slayer: You haven't heard much DT, have you?

No I have not sadly. I'm going to download some of their songs and check them out since everyone here seems like them a lot.

I just heard the cover of Hey You. I have to say. I think I love Dream Theater for not raping the song and souding really good while playing it. Bravo Dream Theater. I think you should cover Dark Side of the Moon.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting MetalVox~55]:rolleyes: You know I didn't restrict my statement to only the first page. And yes, you are QUITE the fanboy. Your lame attempt to make yourself not look like one isn't doing too well.

[quote=Wikipedia]Fanboy or Fanboi is a term used to describe someone who is utterly devoted to a single subject or hobby, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. The term originated in comic book circles, to describe someone who was socially insecure and used comics as a shield from interaction, hence the disparaging connotations. Fanboys are often experts on minor details regarding their hobbies, and they take these details extremely seriously. The term itself is often used in a derogatory manner by less serious fans of the same material. Nevertheless, self-labeling usages of the term have been noted:
Devoted? I happen to be really into music in general, and surely a sign of devotion is the buying of CDs. I have 4 Dream Theater CDs. Sabredog and Klarth probably have their whole discography between them. :)

[quote=MetalVox~55]Where did I say that you only listened to one band? I said you TALKED about them far too often. And well done in trying to get in a cock battle with me over "im listening to more people than you!" And I'm quite aware that i've posted a bunch in the Currently Playing about Evergrey. Not my fault they kick *** and deserve priority over other bands.
Talking about them way too often? I haven't made any really detailed posts pertaining to them, really frequent recommendations or anything like that. Really, if you hadn't raised the issue, I probably have left this thread and moved on. I could say what you said about Evergrey for Dream Theater too.

[quote=MetalVox~55]It doesn't matter if you haven't posted about it before. It's in the same context: Dream Theater! Dream Theater! You're ****ing retarded.

What if anyone else had posted about it? The point of the thread is the news, not my semi-enthusiastic reaction to it.
[quote=Richaod]I just discovered that, and very spontaneously. Because Hyper said Dream Theater covered "Comfortably Numb", and I checked Wikipedia. Hurray.

Downloading ASAP. Hopefully. I can't wait to hear James LaBrie absolutely murder "The Great Gig In The Sky".

if only they had Theresa Thomason again.
A true Dream Theater fanboy would have known about it the day it happened (October 11). Do you really think I actually want to hear LaBrie sing The Great Gig In The Sky? If you'd heard some of his latest live performances and the original version of that song, you'd be expecting him to absolutely murder it too. I wasn't being sarcastic about the fact that he was going to murder it. I was being sarcastic about the fact that I couldn't wait.

If I make a detailed post regarding how Octavarium is more simplistic and less likeable than some of their earlier work, clearly stating non-fanboyistic opinions SINCE I DON'T LIKE ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING THEY DO, then you'll say I talk about them too much. If I say "meh" and go on with life, you'll call me a fanboy and then pounce the next time I post some news about them, saying that I still talk about them too much. Take your pick.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Nope, you're basically the epitome of a fanboy.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Richaod]Sabredog and Klarth probably have their whole discography between them.
I own all their studio and live albums, yes. Also, I at one point bought the 1999 Fanclub CD as an investment and wound up making £60 profit from it. Despite this, I am a fan who is a boy, as opposed to a fanboy. I don't post about them in threads completely irrelevant to the subject of DT, unlike you sir.

[quote]I could say what you said about Evergrey for Dream Theater too.
Yeah, fact is, he's the only die-hard Evergrey fan on VGC, so it isn't as irritating.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting Klarth: I own all their studio and live albums, yes. Also, I at one point bought the 1999 Fanclub CD as an investment and wound up making £60 profit from it. Despite this, I am a fan who is a boy, as opposed to a fanboy. I don't post about them in threads completely irrelevant to the subject of DT, unlike you sir.
Yeah, fact is, he's the only die-hard Evergrey fan on VGC, so it isn't as irritating.

As annoying his posts me be sometimes, you pretty much just ignored everything he said. I'm not biased toward either side, I really don't think he's a fanboy. Just a guy with a bad choice of posts. So can everybody just please stop calling eachother fanboys? It's retarted. All of you have better things to do.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

you guys, there is a new thread made for this!

Posted by sabre

Merged!

'speshly 4 u, beej

Posted by Richaod

[quote=NegativeTrend]Nope, you're basically the epitome of a fanboy.
Again, I'll state that I know more about myself than you do, thanks.

Quoting Klarth]I own all their studio and live albums, yes. Also, I at one point bought the 1999 Fanclub CD as an investment and wound up making £:
...irrelevance. I reply to posts relevant to the subject. I won't randomly pop out and mention the band (Currently Playing obviously doesn't count); take for example the completely off-topic AC/DC thread.
[quote=Richaod]I know this is addressed to me... sort of. I listen to music from a composer's (songwriter is a bad, bad word... there are no good singer/songwriters) point of view as opposed to that of a musician's. Of course, I play songs like Stream Of Consciousness (I don't actually play them myself, I showcase the songs as in actually playing the CDs/mp3s) to impress people, but shred doesn't really have much compositional value. The reason why I listen to music, apart from the sheer enjoyment, is to... not really analyze, but understand how the music is written and structured, mainly so I can do it better myself. I don't listen to music just so I can play it either; I'll take random songs that I like and look at the parts, etc.

The main misconception with progressive music is that "progressive" means "technical". Look up the word "progress" in the dictionary - clearly, they're not the same thing. I know you know this and are probably smarter than I think, but just getting it clear for some others - it means DEVELOPMENTAL (the technicality is a property of progressive music, but not part of the definition). Personally, I think there's not much point writing music at all if you're not going to have some form of progression or variation from the usual verse-chorus type stuff in it - see all club music, Kelly Clarkson songs and Smells Like Teen Spirit. I'm sick to death of verse-chorus song structures and at the first possible opportunity I will smite such "artists" (they're unworthy of the name) like a non-metalhead in the presence of Manowar.

What else? Um, yeah, I don't dislike AC/DC's simplicity because their parts are easy to play, but because it's not as if we haven't heard that kind of stuff before. Playing AC/DC 24/7 would probably turn you into more of a robot than playing Dream Theater 24/7 (because AC/DC-style music is more common, and Dream Theater more variable).
Okay, TheSecondComing commented that he dislikes viewing music solely from a musician's prespective. I mentioned Dream Theater once in the last paragraph. It was relevant... not entirely to the thread, but to his post, surely.
[quote=Klarth]Yeah, fact is, he's the only die-hard Evergrey fan on VGC, so it isn't as irritating.

We all add up, don't we? :(
[quote=Sabredog]Merged!

'speshly 4 u, beej
Aww, I asked for it first. :(

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Sabredog: Merged!

'speshly 4 u, beej

<3!!!

Posted by sabre

Well, they started off with The Root Of All Evil which was an incredible starter. I loved the animations of the landscape from the octavarium cover art that they played at the start. I'd actually felt slightly out of place at first; when everyone was yelling for the band to come on I was feeling slightly half-hearted and intimidated, but from the first note, I leapt out of my seat, and I was yelling every single word, clapping frantically... it was great. Then they went into Panic Attack, which was much of the same awesome, awesome, awesome stuff. D: I liked how James LaBrie high fived members of the audience. Then they did something totally unexpected (for me) and turned off all the lights, except the video screens. There were noises like rewinding, and it went backwards through all the albums and the years until it got to "1985" and the cover art to the Majesty demos. Then James LaBrie started talking for a bit, playing the crowd ("Hello England! Are we having a good time?") (sidenote: someone pushed a piece of card reading "Can I have a drumstick Mike" onto the stage while he was talking, and he picked it up, studied it, and said to Mike Portnoy "give this guy a fu[b][/b]ing drumstick or something" :[i]D) before going into Another Won. This was shortly followed up by A Fortune In Lies, and then Under A Glass Moon, which had some wonderful images on the main screen of the moon and the sun and it was all very well done. They threw in a couple of odd instrumental bits here and there, too. Then they played Caught In A Web (with some especially neat drumming towards the end!), and then all the lights went out except on Jordan and Mike, who played something, which later prevailed to be part of a Pink Floyd song. I was wtfing for a little while, until eventually it segued into Peruvian Skies, at which point the entire crowd cheered. They played some Metallica at the end of it (specifically Wherever I May Roam, in much the same style as they played the Enter Sandman riff at the end of the Once in a LIVEtime version), before going and playing Fatal Tragedy flawlessly, followed by ATCR and Losing Time, both of which were simply orgasmic. I kinda guessed they were going to play Losing Time, from the gong on the back of Mike's drumkit. Naturally, he stood up from the kit and took a huge swing back before bashing the gong, and as it resounded the lights came back on and the video screens informed us of an intermission.

When we returned, they played As I Am (complete with "Eat my a[b][/b]ss and balls!" on the final chorus) shortly followed by Endless Sacrifice - during which instead of the cartoony bit Jordan played "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."

After Endless Sacrifice, James started talking to the audience again, and said something to the effect of "you've been a great audience tonight. As well as a 20th anniversary tour, this is in support of our latest album, Octavarium, (at this point, Mike gestured from his drumkit to the wall behind him, where the middle video screen was replaced by a huge image of all eight octavarium balls) and we still have plenty more for you tonight. This song's called Never Enough!"
Never Enough: Strong performance, very well done, and featured the only slip-up I detected of the night. :X Up to the spectacular standard of everything else, but there weren't noteworthy little extras.
Sacrificed Sons: I was impressed at Jordan's playing the continuum and the keyboard at the same time. Very nifty stuff here, and I think the extra bits he did with the continuum was great. The video screens had some very radical displays, too, though I'd have liked something a little more like the displays from ITNOG.
Octavarium: Started out with Jordan on both keyboard and continuum, and when JR eventually had to play the continuum with two hands, James LaBrie started to play a mini-keyboard. Medicate went down especially well, and I liked the images that went across the video screens for Full Circle. In Intervals, the images for every pair of lines were taken from the videos for the respective songs. E.g., frantic pacing for Panic Attack's bit, twin towers for Sacrificed Sons' "innocent victims of merciless crimes...", and from "step after step..." until the last "trapped inside this octavarium" it was a quickly flickering array of images based on the lyric book art, including an eight sided majesty logo sign emerging from a sea, and the dominos against the landscape from which the balls hung, among others. And, on that note, I believe that the four "TRAPPED INSIDE THIS OCTAVARIUM"s were the loudest I've yelled in my life. Razor's Edge onwards had the images from The Root's intro.
Pull Me Under: The lights went out, Dream Theater left the stage, and I almost thought they weren't doing an encore, and then suddenly the burning hearts appeared on all three video screens (the third one reappeared for Pull Me Under and Metropolis) and all was right in the world once more. Very good, I enjoyed it a lot. However, instead of the solo, they played...
Metropolis: ...everything from 4:16 in the studio version of Metropolis onwards, for an awesome finish. Images of London passing by on the main screens, naturally interspersed with images of the Dream Theater members playing.

I was very impressed by how well James worked the audience, and I liked seeing John Myung and John Petrucci sharing the centre stage a lot - Myung hadn't been very active for a long time up until now (I'd barely seen the guy move around at all on any DVD that was recorded after Images and Words) so it was great to see him really into it. At first, I felt slightly out of place, but from the first note of Root I was pulled straight in - I clapped, headbanged, threw my fist into the air and etc. with so much enthusiasm and frequency that my neck is stiff, I have all the arm movement of a geriatric with a fractured humerus (I couldn't actually brush my hair back from over my face on the bus trip back from London), and my hands hurt like hell just beneath my thumbs, but dear go[b][/b]d, I don't regret a second of it, and I'd do it again in a flash. It's a testament to how well the concert went and how much everyone enjoyed it that it was originally to be an all seated concert, but I couldn't see a single person who wasn't standing all the way through. It was incredible.

Note also that when I got back in, I played Panic Attack on Winamp, a song that I'd always thought was pretty neat but kinda overrated, and now that I'd heard it live I couldn't help but pound the air when listening to it - and this is in spite of all the physical weaknesses I've now picked up.

Ten out of fugging ten.

Other:
Didn't get to see the band, because it would mean standing in the rain for an hour and a half, and even if I did that, then it was unlikely they'd have stayed.
Came back home with [url=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/sabreydoo/c6b6becc.jpg]a shirt[/url] [url=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/sabreydoo/863a62f5.jpg](shirt pic 2)[/url], [url=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/sabreydoo/fc2b5482.jpg]a poster[/url], and an even stronger love of Dream Theater.

[url=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/sabreydoo/Pict0008.jpg]The view from where I was "seated" (stood?).[/url] Though I was at the back of the stalls, I had a wonderful view. The Hammersmith Apollo really does have a great view no matter where you are.

[url=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/sabreydoo/53665201.jpg]Me looking incredibly bewildered, relatively sleepy, and slightly large-headed three hours before the concert.[/url] I'd guess the fat looking face is to do with the way the wind was blowing my hair.

Posted by Richaod

Wow, sounds awesome. Just what was the Pink Floyd song though?

It sounds pretty cool how they went through their albums in order and stuff. They had better be coming to Australia in January to an all-ages venue; I've heard rumours. Mike was unable to bring his Albino Monster kit to South America, which seems to have complicated some of the touring over there.

Posted by sabre

Quoting Richaod: Wow, sounds awesome. Just what was the Pink Floyd song though?

I didn't recognise it. It wasn't Have A Cigar - at the very least, not the same parts of Have A Cigar as they played on OIALT.

What I do remember, however, is that they played a second Pink Floyd interlude before the second intro-thing, and when they played that, it had the album cover displayed on all three video screens. I'll see if I can find it, it'll be something off that album.

[edit: Wish You Were Here was the album! It was only Jordan and Mike playing, too, if that helps at all to isolate the single song.]

[edit: OH! And while I remember, at the very end of the second influence-tribute in Full Circle ("gabba gabba hey hey my my generation's home again") they threw up an image of the cover of Dark Side of the Moon, only instead of the prism there was the Majesty logo, and the image lingered on screen for about a bar. There was a HUGE cheer as soon as it appeared.]

[edit: oh, oh, oh, and James LaBrie didn't do the Dave Mustaine stuff once in the concert - not even during Never Enough. I liked hearing him singing it differently. His voice was more raw live, as opposed to full in the studio - not a bad change, but a difference. It's definitely obvious he's recovered from the ruptured vocal chord that meant he hadn't been on top form once between Awake and Octavarium.

And, I'm proud to say that I'm now listening to all the songs they played at the concert in order, and enjoying every second of it.]

Posted by Hyper

Your show was so much better than mine :( I hope they come and do some Evening With's here in the states. Preferably with at least one in Arizona.

Posted by Richaod

[quote=Sabredog][edit: oh, oh, oh, and James LaBrie didn't do the Dave Mustaine stuff once in the concert - not even during Never Enough. I liked hearing him singing it differently. His voice was more raw live, as opposed to full in the studio - not a bad change, but a difference. It's definitely obvious he's recovered from the ruptured vocal chord that meant he hadn't been on top form once between Awake and Octavarium.

Dave Mustaine stuff? I assume you just mean "bad vocals", which is pretty much the same thing. :) The more similar to Live At The Marquee, the better.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Richaod: Dave Mustaine stuff? I assume you just mean "bad vocals", which is pretty much the same thing. :) The more similar to Live At The Marquee, the better.

That would be because the majority of the vocals on that album were overdubbed. :)

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Irrelevant: That would be because the majority of the vocals on that album were overdubbed. :)

What a shame. :(

I haven't got Live Scenes From New York, so I don't know how good the vocals are on it, but they're really not very good on Once In A LIVEtime or Live At Budokan. He sounds okay on the various fan club CDs, but he's simply perfect on the Metropolis 2000 DVD, which I've watched about half of.

That had better not be overdubbed too.

Posted by sabre

Quoting Richaod: Dave Mustaine stuff? I assume you just mean "bad vocals", which is pretty much the same thing. :)
By "no Dave Mustaine stuff," I mean he didn't try to sing in the Muse inspired falsettos, like he does in Octavarium at, "Run, try to hide, overwhelmed, by this complex delirium" and pretty much all of Never Enough except the chorus. He sang them more melodically. And he sung every note wonderfully - as I said, he's definitely got his voice back.

And apparently, the Pink Floyd song was indeed Wish You Were Here.

Posted by Klarth

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8591698192184904694&q=%22dream+theater%22

look, a bar band covering hollow years!

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Sabredog: By "no Dave Mustaine stuff," I mean he didn't try to sing in the Muse inspired falsettos, like he does in Octavarium at, "Run, try to hide, overwhelmed, by this complex delirium" and pretty much all of Never Enough except the chorus. He sang them more melodically. And he sung every note wonderfully - as I said, he's definitely got his voice back.

Dave Mustaine singing in falsetto could probably knock out a whole roomful of people. But yay, and perhaps I'll get to see for myself when they possibly come to Australia in February? They're passing through Asia in January, so I don't see why not...

Klarth, that cover actually isn't bad at all. The video is fairly... unnecessary though. BLACK SHAPES IN FRONT OF LIGHTS!

I did some random piano adaptations of DT songs for some event recently; I did Wait For Sleep, Another Day, Hollow Years (Live At Budokan-esque piano shredding included of course :)), Sacrificed Sons with the Master Of Puppets clean interlude thrown in the middle and Vacant too. Basically what I learned by ear and the vocal lines played with the right hand. I might record some of it if I can be bothered after exams have finished. Oh, and I can play the end of When The Water Breaks much better now too. Good stuff. :)

Posted by Klarth

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Dream_Theater

Posted by Hyper

That page wins.

Posted by sabre

...What the HELL is wrong with me. When I said Dave Mustaine, I meant Matt Bellamy.

See, this is why I don't make fun of Richaod for getting his genres wrong.

That said, getting a bootleg of the show I went to. I only have the first set right yet, the second should be up by the end of tomorrow.

@Richaod: I can send you the version of Peruvian Skies they played, as a result, if you'd like.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Sabredog: ...What the HELL is wrong with me. When I said Dave Mustaine, I meant Matt Bellamy.

See, this is why I don't make fun of Richaod for getting his genres wrong.

That said, getting a bootleg of the show I went to. I only have the first set right yet, the second should be up by the end of tomorrow.

@Richaod: I can send you the version of Peruvian Skies they played, as a result, if you'd like.

That'd be pretty cool if you could, actually. I need to talk to you about the trip; we'll actually be in Gloucestershire or the Cotswolds or somewhere like that on the 4th of December. I think.

Oh, and since Mike Portnoy said that Dream Theater will cover 5 classic albums in total, what do you think they'll be? Obviously Master Of Puppets, The Number Of The Beast and The Dark Side Of The Moon have already been played. Honestly, I think Operation: Mindcrime will be one.
[quote]
What served as inspiration corner when Dream Theater did When Dream And Day Unite?
MP: I remember we were listening to Operation: Mindcrime *a lot* - it was a big influence on us for that album.
From his website. I'd link if possible, but somehow Firefox is screwed and I can't copy and paste stuff. omgwtf.

Posted by Hyper

I agree with Richaod. Operation: Mindcrime will most likely be covered. Portnoy talks about how it was such a huge influence on the When Dream And Day Reunite DVD commentary.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Hyper: I agree with Richaod. Operation: Mindcrime will most likely be covered. Portnoy talks about how it was such a huge influence on the When Dream And Day Reunite DVD commentary.

It's not exactly hard to place the influence, either. When Dream And Day Unite has the sort of 80's heavy metal feel (especially A Fortune In Lies, and I'd name more songs if I listened to the album enough) that seems to be... missing from all their other albums.

Posted by Klarth

I'm pretty sure they're bound to do a Queensryche one, most likely O:M. Wouldn't surprise me if the other one was either a Yes, a Rush album or a Megadeth one.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Klarth: I'm pretty sure they're bound to do a Queensryche one, most likely O:M. Wouldn't surprise me if the other one was either a Yes, a Rush album or a Megadeth one.

Megadeth? Unlikely, in my opinion, but... interesting. If they ever go on another Gigantour, they'd probably be more likely just to play a single Megadeth song or something like that. With that said, they'd better not play Symphony Of Destruction; there have been enough mediocre covers of Megadeth's most overrated song (Nightwish and Arch Enemy at the very least).

2112 is possible. In the cases of the other three albums (and O:M), they hadn't actually covered any of the songs prior to the live cover concerts, though. I'm pretty sure they've played 2112 Overture before, and they played Tears on Acoustic Dreams.

Posted by sabre

got the rest of the bootleg! Sexy stuff.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting Richaod: Megadeth? Unlikely, in my opinion, but... interesting. If they ever go on another Gigantour, they'd probably be more likely just to play a single Megadeth song or something like that. With that said, they'd better not play Symphony Of Destruction; there have been enough mediocre covers of Megadeth's most overrated song (Nightwish and Arch Enemy at the very least).

2112 is possible. In the cases of the other three albums (and O:M), they hadn't actually covered any of the songs prior to the live cover concerts, though. I'm pretty sure they've played 2112 Overture before, and they played Tears on Acoustic Dreams.

They should cover Tornado Of Souls or Five Magics. That would be pure....musical orgasm.:eek:

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin_Akuma: They should cover Tornado Of Souls or Five Magics. That would be pure....musical orgasm.:eek:

...not likely

They did play Cemetery Gates (obviously by Pantera) at one point during Gigantour... with Dave Mustaine onstage.

Speaking of which, I really need a bootleg of that. And the Dark Side Of The Moon covers.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting Richaod: ...not likely

They did play Cemetery Gates (obviously by Pantera) at one point during Gigantour... with Dave Mustaine onstage.

Speaking of which, I really need a bootleg of that. And the Dark Side Of The Moon covers.

Dave played the solo, it was in Dallas Tx. *dimes hometown*. It will be on the Gigantour dvd when it comes out.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

http://htfails.ytmnd.com/

Posted by Klarth

BJ WINS

edit: after reading some of the comments on that ytmnd:

"real metal doesn't come from the western hemisphere."
"dream theater is sucks"
"Oh and I've never heard of Dream Theatre either, and no wonder, their highest selling album
Their highest selling album has come in at only #36 on the charts. How pathetic."
"If you're a Dream Theater fan odds are you'd be better off doing searches for "weight loss
treatment" or "basic hygiene products"

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I think I commented about manufactured angst or something

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: http://htfails.ytmnd.com/

That is hilarious :)

Posted by The Punisher

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: http://htfails.ytmnd.com/

I love the music in that. Ive grown tired of Hot Topic, use to shop there, but now its turning out to be like Up Against the Wall is.

Posted by Shade

Hot Topic scares me.

Posted by Pit

Yo, alright I have some questions, mainly because I don't feel like checking up myself.

Is dream theater like gonna tour 2006 or something and go to New York? I think I heard that somewhere

Posted by The Punisher

Well this is pertaining to Dream Theater, the tab for The Dance of Eternity is about to make me sick... There isnt a line that the same throught the entire song... Ive been working for like an hour I have a few parts down.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Pit: Is dream theater like gonna tour 2006 or something and go to New York? I think I heard that somewhere

They're doing a 20th Anniversary tour and are going to a lot of places with "historic DT value", i.e. places they've already recorded at. Personally I THINK IT WOULD BE MUCH BETTER IF THEY WENT TO CITIES THEY HADN'T ALREADY BEEN TO.

I'm pretty sure they're finishing the tour in New York, and they're releasing a live DVD/CD set of that concert. I personally think that a 2-year gap between live releases is a bit too short a gap, but anyway... the more the better.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting The Punisher: Well this is pertaining to Dream Theater, the tab for The Dance of Eternity is about to make me sick... There isnt a line that the same throught the entire song... Ive been working for like an hour I have a few parts down.

Are you learning that for your band? :p: What instrument do you play?

And uh richaod, care to explain why you think 2 years is too short a gap?

Posted by sabre

The Dance Of Eternity is one of the few boring DT songs. :X It shows off the band's chops alright, but it just drags on. I think I'd probably cut off everything after 4:21.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Irrelevant: And uh richaod, care to explain why you think 2 years is too short a gap?

Too many live albums. It's like they're competing with Iron Maiden or something.

I suppose having a lot of releases is a good thing, but is it really necessary?

Posted by sabre

Well yeah, considering it celebrates twenty freaking years of the band being together (which is a lot by most bands' standards), and they're playing an ultra-long set, and they say they've got something special planned, and they want to capture the moment, and it's the grand finale of the US tour before they go on hiatus for a little.

Anyway, disagreements aside, John Petrucci's new look!:

I think he'd look cool if he lost the mascara or eyeliner or whatever it is.

Posted by Hammered On

I like him better with the shorter hair.

And humbucking pickups.. mmmm... My guitar looks somewhat similar and has 2 humpucking pickups.. :) (in case you didn't already figure out I'm a guitar player by my username)

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Hammered On: I like him better with the shorter hair.

And humbucking pickups.. mmmm... My guitar looks somewhat similar and has 2 humpucking pickups.. :) (in case you didn't already figure out I'm a guitar player by my username)

whats a humbucker? :-\

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Sabredog: Anyway, disagreements aside, John Petrucci's new look!:

He looks borderline glam metal. Rena probably likes it.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=scobrownl1]He just wants to look like Steve Vai so that people will reckon he is a virtuoso. He isn't by the way, he sucks and he should feel bad about it.
turn off your internet.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Did that dude just quad-post?

Posted by Klarth

Requesting revocation of incorrect use of term "dude".

Posted by Porcupine

Quoting scobrownl1: [lotsa stuff]

Now explain at least a little bit of it. I dare you.

and why does someone who hates dream theater so much have their most recent bootleg? :confused:

Posted by sabre

[QUOTE=scobrownl1]some poor attempt to be clever or edgy or something
[quote=Sabredog]And, note that anyone who comes in to say "YOU'RE ALL SHEEP" or some other uninformed, presumptuous crap (as this thread practically asks for) will get their posts deleted. Music board's rid of multiple Dream Theater threads, DT fans are rid of morons. Rad?baleeted!

Posted by Richaod

[quote]Richaod; http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Alliteration ROFL says:
you got so badly owned on the DT thread
Richaod; http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Alliteration ROFL says:
Apparently you quad-posted
Rumour: Jesus of Nazareth touring in march says:
not really
it appears that nobody on there actually likes you
http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=8947&page=5
infact i couln't give a flying **** what an army of you ****ing computer nerd associates think
"i don't give a flying ****, mother****er"

lol
And, note that anyone who comes in to say "YOU'RE ALL SHEEP" or some other uninformed, presumptuous crap (as this thread practically asks for) will get their posts deleted. Music board's rid of multiple Dream Theater threads, DT fans are rid of morons. Rad?
hmmm.
they deleted my posts because they are ****ing scared of the reality that they suck
no, because you gave opinions without reasons and just mindlessly bagged them.
they are proabley 35 year olds living with their parants
i quoted your *** to hell
not for no reason
just because petrucci isn't glam, isn't a virtuoso, you wanted the classic album boots but if none of your ****ing 'buddies' can face to reality and stop wearing their asses as hasts then maybe i would give a ****
...what?
but till then i couldn't
That completely went over my head. Explain
you obviously didn't see my posts so i can't be bothered
But how is it that, if you hate Dream Theater so much, you have their latest bootleg? http://www.vgchat.com/showpost.php?p=182198&postcount=82
i have them cause i collect bootlegs
lol let's collect Simple Plan bootlegs
not **** ones *******
good bootlegs from **** bands?
more or less
mot from pop punk band though
unless they happen to be blink 182
Guess who I'm talking to.

...anyway, discuss. If this isn't an appropriate place to put it, the IM board will do.

Posted by scobrownl1

Quoting Porcupine: Now explain at least a little bit of it. I dare you.

and why does someone who hates dream theater so much have their most recent bootleg? :confused:

Woah. I'm ****ting myself now. You DARE me explain do you? Well i collect bootlegs. I have over 1000. I have the dream theater boots because i am a fan of the bands that they covered not the band themselves. Also Richoad should be sodomised with a garden rake for suggesting that petrucci is even the slightest bit glam because he isn't. So next time you make up a quote (Lotsa stuff) and dare somebody to explain it make sure that you don't look like a fool but openingly displaying your blatant ignorance. Also remember to get your **** together next time you try to challenge over anything.

I will leave you guys with the decision of whether or not to display this post or delete it because you can't face up to the reality that you guys will get your *** handed back to you every time to try to get one over me that and the fact that dream theater will never be anymore than an overblown softcock progmetal band.

Oh, and by the way i never go on this forum anyway. When i do it is to quote and bag Richoads pimply bearded *** to hell.

If you feel the need to retaliate this post then i will check back but otherwise i wish you well in your quest of someday moving out of your parents house by the time you are 30.

See you guys later.

Quoting Richaod: Guess who I'm talking to.

...anyway, discuss. If this isn't an appropriate place to put it, the IM board will do.

First of all, Rich-Hie that is an edited version of our conversation. Second of all if you feel the need to berate me then do it in person or as you prefer over msn.

Posted by scobrownl1

Quoting Richaod: Guess who I'm talking to.

First of all, Rich-Hie that is an edited version of our conversation. Second of all if you feel the need to berate me then do it in person or as you prefer over msn.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting scobrownl1]Woah. I'm ****ting myself now. You DARE me explain do you? Well i collect bootlegs. I have over 1000. I have the dream theater boots because i am a fan of the bands that they covered not the band themselves. Also Richoad should be sodomised with a garden rake for suggesting that petrucci is even the slightest bit glam because he isn't.
I said that he LOOKED glam in the picture. Which he did: First of all, Rich-Hie that is an edited version of our conversation.

It's actually not edited at all. I copied and pasted exactly what was in the chat window when I left.

blink-182.... I lol'd.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting scobrownl1: So next time you make up a quote (Lotsa stuff) and dare somebody to explain it make sure that you don't look like a fool but openingly displaying your blatant ignorance. Also remember to get your **** together next time you try to challenge over anything.

I just wanted to quote this, just in case anyone missed it, so that they can know how idiotic the statement above is.

Stop acting like you're some kind of hardess who's "untouchable". It's stupid, your stupid, and should really get over yourself. For ****'s sake, the guy only wanted you to back up everything you were saying instead of just throwing **** out there.

But keep this argument between everyone going, I'm curious where it'll go. Just stop double posting, please.

Posted by scobrownl1

Quoting Richaod: I said that he LOOKED glam in the picture. Which he did; he was wearing mascara. Obviously.

It's actually not edited at all. I copied and pasted exactly what was in the chat window when I left.

blink-182.... I lol'd.

1. Wearing mascara doesn't make you glam. Billy joe Armstrong and trent reznor wear it and they aren't glam. Mascara doen't make you glam. If anything it only makes you emo. Swallow that.
2.You have edited the convo because i am looking at it now.
3.Why the mother****ing **** doe vgchat censor ****. For ****s sake. They should get a ****ing grip. **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****. ****ing grow up.

Posted by Porcupine

Quoting scobrownl1: Woah. I'm ****ting myself now. You DARE me explain do you? Well i collect bootlegs. I have over 1000. I have the dream theater boots because i am a fan of the bands that they covered not the band themselves. Also Richoad should be sodomised with a garden rake for suggesting that petrucci is even the slightest bit glam because he isn't. So next time you make up a quote (Lotsa stuff) and dare somebody to explain it make sure that you don't look like a fool but openingly displaying your blatant ignorance. Also remember to get your **** together next time you try to challenge over anything.

Yeah, I just stuck in [lots of stuff] because you managed to spread it across four posts. I meant the way you said a lot of stuff, and didn't explain any of it. Clever how that works out, huh?

[quote]**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****. ****ing grow up.
Ha?

Posted by Gollum

Quoting scobrownl1: ****ing grow up.

Definitely.

Posted by scobrownl1

Quoting Porcupine: Yeah, I just stuck in [lots of stuff] because you managed to spread it across four posts. I meant the way you said a lot of stuff, and didn't explain any of it. Clever how that works out, huh?

Ha?

In case you are illiterate i just explained why i said those things in the last post. You know? The one where i told you to get your **** together?
Obviously you are illiterate because you still haven't. You just posted more crap wanting me to explain things again hoping that your DT buddies would rush to your defence. You sir are an idiot so go and **** yourself with a glass bottle and die. Good day to you.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting scobrownl1: DT buddies

Porcupine barely even likes DT.

[quote=scobrownl1]1. Wearing mascara doesn't make you glam. Billy joe Armstrong and trent reznor wear it and they aren't glam. Mascara doen't make you glam. If anything it only makes you emo. Swallow that.
[quote=Richaod]He looks BORDERLINE glam metal.
As in, not actually. But very close to. Anyway, it's better for everyone if he doesn't.

Oh, and I haven't edited the conversation. Feel free to point out where (if) I did, though. Hyperlinks becoming highlighted don't count. Obviously.

Posted by scobrownl1

Quoting Klarth: I have thought long and hard about this one, and I've come to the conclusion that you're dumb.

Richie, i have to agree with the above quote. You are too obsessed with DT and maybe should consider getting some professional help otherwise drop the smart ***, tough guy attitude because you are a 14 asian private school student who is a memeber of the school chess club and single handedly funds the school library with your overdue library books. And yeah i already had come to the conclusion that you were a dumb pimply bearded dumbass but i just figured to might need a quote to help you understand as you need to be told things twice before you understand them. Good day.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting scobrownl1: Richie, i have to agree with the above quote. You are too obsessed with DT and maybe should consider getting some professional help otherwise drop the smart ***, tough guy attitude because you are a 14 asian private school student who is a memeber of the school chess club and single handedly funds the school library with your overdue library books. And yeah i already had come to the conclusion that you were a dumb pimply bearded dumbass but i just figured to might need a quote to help you understand as you need to be told things twice before you understand them. Good day.

God forbid people fanboy what they want to fanboy, and god forbid people respect the fact that these people choose to put this band as their favorite above others. What on earth is this world coming to? Free choice? Blasphemy.

:rolleyes:

Posted by Richaod

Quoting scobrownl1: Richie, i have to agree with the above quote. You are too obsessed with DT and maybe should consider getting some professional help otherwise drop the smart ***, tough guy attitude because you are a 14 asian private school student who is a memeber of the school chess club and single handedly funds the school library with your overdue library books. And yeah i already had come to the conclusion that you were a dumb pimply bearded dumbass but i just figured to might need a quote to help you understand as you need to be told things twice before you understand them. Good day.

(Klarth's quote was) out of context. He thinks you're dumber anyway.

I'm too obsessed with DT? (you like The Used, enough said)
I have a smartass, tough guy attitude? (you're the aggressor, I've merely replied amusedly)
I'm 14? (15)
I'm a member of the chess club? (you're thinking of the LITERATURE club)
I have overdue books? (If I were loyal to the library, I'd return them on time)
I'm mute?
I need to be told things twice? (that might explain why you're double-posting)

Feel free to point out how any of those statements apply to me whenever you like. :rolleyes: EXPLANATIONS.

Since you were didn't deny anything I said, I'll assume you couldn't. Oh, and I'd really like to know what prompted this, because people usually don't go around doing their business and one day rail completely out of the blue against completely unrelated fans of a band they actually like (if sparingly).

[quote=MetalVox~55]God forbid people fanboy what they want to fanboy, and god forbid people respect the fact that these people choose to put this band as their favorite above others. What on earth is this world coming to? Free choice? Blasphemy.
I hate that free will thing, especially in government, you know? If it were a dictatorship (starring me), it'd be a heck of a lot easier.

Posted by sabre

Taste is subjective, so you're pretty much showing off your ignorance by trying to make a point.

And pssh, you got your post deleted because you disobeyed the rules, so stop trying to bloat your ego by duping yourself into thinking you're more than any of us could take. If you'd done that in any other thread I'd have just told you that you try too hard and left it at that.

Yawn. Half the idea of this thread is to keep out these kinds of arguments, I'm this close to just doing away with everything posted since the post I deleted.

[quote] the smart ***, tough guy attitude

aha

ahahaha

Posted by Porcupine

Quoting scobrownl1: In case you are illiterate i just explained why i said those things in the last post. You know? The one where i told you to get your **** together?
Obviously you are illiterate because you still haven't. You just posted more crap wanting me to explain things again hoping that your DT buddies would rush to your defence. You sir are an idiot so go and **** yourself with a glass bottle and die. Good day to you.

Yeah, read through that post, I didn't ask you to explain again. You sir are an idiot. And no, you actually haven't already explained why John Petrucci is a bad guitarist.

Posted by Stalolin

Octa = 8

8th track on Octavarium = Octavarium (Sure, I'm certain most people got that one.)

Octavarium track length = 24:00

Eventually, you hear "TRAPPED INSIDE THIS OCTAVARIUM"

24 / 8 = 3

Track 3 = These Walls

Walls, trapped, coincidence, relation? Yes? No?

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Stalolin: Octa = 8

8th track on Octavarium = Octavarium (Sure, I'm certain most people got that one.)

Octavarium track length = 24:00

Eventually, you hear "TRAPPED INSIDE THIS OCTAVARIUM"

24 / 8 = 3

Track 3 = These Walls

Walls, trapped, coincidence, relation? Yes? No?

There are way more continuous themes throughout the album than just that.

http://dt.spatang.com/octavarium.php has pretty much everything.

Posted by sabre

Dt.spatang.com also has a lot of unintentional stuff which isn't a nugget at all.

How long has Stalolin been a DT fan?

Posted by Klarth

A while. I seem to remember him listing them as a favourite band sometime in 2004, but I don't think he's fanatical as he didn't realise that trapped.ytmnd was from Octavarium when I showed it to him last year.

Posted by Richaod

[quote=Wikipedia]On January 13, 2006, progressive metal outfit Dream Theater played the album in its entirety at Kokusai Forum in Tokyo. A repeat is planned for the 15th at NHK Hall in Osaka. Both performances were recorded, and one of the two shows will be released through the band's "Ytse Jam Records" label.

Just how slowly does news of this leak out? Anyway, I didn't really expect that at all; I thought the next two would be 2112 or Operation: Mindcrime. Something like that.

Odd decision, to cover a live album...

Posted by Klarth

Yes, interesting indeed, especially considering the fact that you didn't mention what they covered in your post.

YOU STUPID KLUTZ.

Posted by sabre

Deep Purple - Made In Japan.

Heard about it ages ago.

Posted by Klarth

Oh, that. Yes, same here. ***.

Posted by Hyper

NYC Tour Finale, so far (DVD Setlist):

*Spoiler*

Set 1:
The Root Of All Evil
I Walk Beside You
Another One
Afterlife
Under A Glass Moon
Innocence Faded
Raise The Knife
The Spirit Carries On
--intermission--
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (W/Orchestra)
Vacant
The Answer Lies Within
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium
--encore--
Metropolis, Pt. 1

The whole second set + encore was with an orchestra.

Sweeeeeeeeeet.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Klarth: Yes, interesting indeed, especially considering the fact that you didn't mention what they covered in your post.

YOU STUPID KLUTZ.

Didn't notice that. :P

Posted by sabre

hello.

hello.

Hello.

HELLO.

Posted by Klarth

Posted by sabre

Whoa, prince Philip?! Of all the people to join the lavish festivities...

Posted by sabre

[quote=Mike Portnoy]Hi all,
Just a quick update:

I've been in the studio last week and this week with Michael Brauer doing the audio mixes of the RCMH show and it sounds AMAZING!!!!
The mixes are in the can (both stereo and 5.1) and are ready for mastering!

Simultaneously, I've been hard at work on the DVD.
The footage shot is absolutely BEAUTIFUL (11 Hi-Def cameras!) and I also have plans for some great bonus material as well which is in the works.

I will be flying to LA in a few weeks to put the finishing touches on the video editing and wrapping the whole project by the first or second week of May.

We are tentatively looking at an end of summer release (Aug/Sept) for the 2 DVD/3 CD sets....

And yes...I have a name for it...but I have to leave some things unmentioned for now!

OK...back to work....
(and yes, I will be taking time off with my family after this is done.....
....at least until the Amazing Journey gigs!)

MPrar.

Posted by Raptor

**Just listened to "I Walk Beside You" from Octavarium**

Now Dream Theater decides to pull the U2 card... they're really covering all the bases, these guys.

Posted by Richaod

Bump.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ApL1mCdOpxQ&search=nightmare%20cinema

It seems to be one of the only Nightmare Cinema vids on the net. They actually seem to know what they're doing - not sure about Portnoy with his crazy running around though. If you don't know of NC:

[quote=Wikipedia]Perhaps the most extreme example of Dream Theater's unpredictable concert structure is that during Derek Sherinian's time with the band, at selected shows the band members all swapped instruments and performed an encore as the fictional "Nightmare Cinema" (the approximate opposite of "Dream Theater"). They usually performed a cover of Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers", and, on one occasion, Ozzy Osbourne's "Suicide Solution".

Posted by Hyper

Haha, I always wanted to see a full vid of that. Sherinian really seemed to know what he was doing for the most part.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Hyper: Haha, I always wanted to see a full vid of that. Sherinian really seemed to know what he was doing for the most part.

They had actually rehearsed sections of Lie with him on rhythm guitar, but they never actually used two guitars live because of the fact that John Petrucci is up himself/dislikes keyboardists playing guitar onstage.

[quote=John Petrucci]F*ck that gay Winger sh*t!
True quote.

Posted by Hyper

yeah, I read that somewhere a long time ago.