Quake 4!

Posted by Boner

Well, today is the day. Did anyone else manage to get a copy of this already? I had mine preordered about a week ago and had no problems obtaining a copy. Here are my thoughts on it so far.

The first thing I noticed was the fact that this game was all crammed on one disk. I thought this was rather odd when you consider that DOOM III was on 3 disks. I then noticed a not-so-obvious note on the side of the box stating that a DVD drive was required to play the game. So, that may have something to do with it. I was rather happy about only having to put in one disc one time to install.

The actual game:

At first glance, I was much reminded of DOOM III. Go figure, right? It starts out with a short clip that sets the plot of your character. They use the word shit and drop the f-bomb a lot in this game. I was really worried that they were trying to compensate for something by doing this. As I soon discovered; this was not the case.

This game really starts kicking @ss right from the word go. Picture a game that is as pleasing to the eye as DOOM III (maybe even a little moreso) only there is way more stuff going on. It's not nearly as slow paced. You seem to really hit the ground running on this one. Even the monsters seem to have more attitude. They come at you hard and heavy. Fellow soldiers fight along side you, running and hiding behind obstacles for cover. I have not spent much time playing it yet, but it seems like everything you wished they had done with DOOM III, thye made up for with this game. You even get a machine gun with a flash light built on to it. It's still dark and 'scary', but not so dark that you can't see what the hell is goin on.

I have not tried this online yet. Single player mode is running smoothe as silk, though. I am able to run it at the medium settings w/o any lagging at all. While DOOM III would get choppy at times on the same settings. Here are my system stats incase anyone is wondering how this game might run on their machine:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Hard Drive: 0 MB Space Available, 2765 MB Space On Drive
Video Card: RADEON 9700 PRO
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Display Info: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (85Hz)
Pointing Device: Mouse
Sound Card: Creative SB Live! Series

So, if you have something at least comparable to that, it should run just fine.

I'll try and post more as I play the game. That is, if I'm not too busy playing it :D . I will also try out the online aspect of it and give some thoughts.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Wow, it sounds great. Personally, I loved Quake III (PS2) version, minus the exceedingly, drawn out loading times. But the greatness afterwards compensated. I'll have to pick up this fourth installment someday.

Posted by muffla

id is a really great company just look at the original dooms and quake one (persionally diddnt care for quake 2 and quake three was just a unrealtornamnet ripoff) but i am really wanting to get this game everybody is saying that is is "what doom three should have been and thats great

Posted by Arczu

Personally, I didn't think that about Q3A. We had a lot of fun ties with that one. (Of course, UT does better in that field)

This game... just sounds great dangit. machingun is like a MF gun now. Can't wait to get this.

Posted by KoH

Sad to say, this game slipped right past me when it was released. Sure, I was looking forward to its release, but I mean that when it was released I didn't even realize it. I just noticed it yesterday on the shelf of a store. Go figure, huh.

Anyway, I'm insanely happy to hear that the game isn't shitty or anything. The fact that you say it's better than doom 3 in some (most?) aspects is great too. Good review btw.

PS::: I liked your answer for "pointing device." Classic: Mouse. As opposed to what? Thinking it or just merely pointing?

Posted by Boner

Quoting KoH: PS::: I liked your answer for "pointing device." Classic: Mouse. As opposed to what? Thinking it or just merely pointing?

Yeah, I thought that was funny too. I merely coppied and pasted the stats and didn't think to take that part out. Meh, whatever.

Anyway, on with my review....

I still have not had much time to sit and play this game, as I have been working 60+ hours a week. But, I did dabble with the online feature. It's pretty much like Quake 3 Arena with the DOOM III graphics. I have cable, so lag was not a problem at all. One noteworthy thing I enjoyed was a feature in the spectator mode (basically just watching others play). It almost puts you in a "noclip" sort of mode, only you aren't able to go through walls or anything of that nature. So, you are free to float around the map and even get a bird's eye view of what's going on. While it is still quite fun playing online, it's really not much more entertaining than playing DOOM III in multiplayer. It is what it is and that's all it is.

More on the single player mode....

I got a little bit farther in the game. They really put some cool surprises in here. At one point in the game I was fighting a "boss" cyborg. As fate would have it (so goes the story of the game), he kicked the living sh!t out of me. He was large enough to pick me up with one hand. After doing so, the screen goes black (your character passes out). You then wake up strapped down to a sort of bed/chair on a conveyor. You can actually pan the camera and look around you, but you can't get up. There is another soldier strapped down in the same fashion on the conveyor in front of you. This is the beginning process of you being turned into a cyborg yourself. I won't ruin it with more details, but it's pretty danm cool. Once you have turned cyborg (you are still a "good guy") you have increased health and security access to doors that would not open before. This adds a nice twist to the game.

Another aspect of this game that really gets me glued to the desk chair is the fact that you get to drive/ride in/on military vehicles and use their onboard weapons. If they are giving you stuff like this to cruise around parts of the game with, then you can only image what the enemies are like. So far, this game just keeps getting better and better.

Posted by Slyder

I played quake 1 and 2 on the comp. But I havent played 3 yet.
I loved 1 and 2 so I hope I will like 3 and 4.

Posted by KoH

[SIZE=7]THANKS FOR CONTRIBUTING TO THE F*CKING THREAD, JACKASS. YOUR INPUT MAKES ME FEEL WARM AND FUZZY.[/SIZE]

Posted by muffla

here is my delema
i get 10 dollars a week and i love the quake series but i dont have the original 3 should i get the collectors edition with quake 2 and expaion packs and inter views making of the game etc
or just get the regualar game and wait for the quake triligy (just like they did with doom, GREAT BUY!)
just wodnering

ps great line from a magizine "in quake if it moves kill it, in doom if you killed it, kill it again" thought that was funny

Posted by Fireball

From waht I've played of quake, it was quite good. Much like doom, but less *twitch-scary* and more fun, also better variety in weapons and what you do. (vehicles are very fun too, especially the tanks).

Posted by muffla

vehicles are always good just look at unreal tornament 2004

how often do you get you get to use the vehicles?