Future Of Nintendo

Posted by blade527

Nintendo have done quite alot of crazy things in the past by releasing innovating consoles/games and I think that they have done a good job in the past by creating games such as ZELDA and METROID PRIME (two of my favourites) which both have unique gameplay that no other game has, thes games had great gamplay, great graphics, great storylines and a unique feel to them. They have been great uptil now, what do nintendo think they're doing by making consoles such as the nintendo DS and games such as PAC- PIX, I can understand a bit of innovation but they have gone a step too far. Nintendo said that the new type of gameplay lets players enjoy games more, but actually they are making games which are not fun at all with 2-D drawing games. Have nintendo forgotten the basic features which make a game appealing, they are good graphics, good gameplay and a good storyline. The games that nintendo make today lack 2 of the features and miss on out completely (STORYLINE), these games appeal to people for no more than a few days. Nintendo said that they are doing this to appeal to all audiences, but infact the games only appeal to the audience who have never played games before, if they continue the way they are they will lose their current audience. I understand that this post is biased, but it is just what I feel is happening.

By Blade527

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: They have been great uptil now, what do nintendo think they're doing by making consoles such as the nintendo DS and games such as PAC- PIX, I can understand a bit of innovation but they have gone a step too far.

Basing a whole handheld console on only one game? Christ, why not look at Meteos, Advanced Wars, Kirby, Castlevania, Trauma Center, and Phoenix Wright. All are fantastic games that use the system's capabilites very well. You're a idiot to bash Nintendo because of only one bad game.. which isn't even THAT bad.

Quoted post: Have nintendo forgotten the basic features which make a game appealing, they are good graphics, good gameplay and a good storyline. The games that nintendo make today lack 2 of the features and miss on out completely (STORYLINE)

Oh right, I forgot Mario and Zelda had deep, branching storylines.

Quoted post: but actually they are making games which are not fun at all with 2-D drawing games.

You've never played a DS game before, have you?

Posted by Oforia

I would have to agree with Vampiro. Blade527 you are not basing your opinions on any facts. Nintendo games don't have a storyline? come on. Nintendo is taking a whole new approach with the Revolution. That doesn't mean that they are doing bad.

Posted by Pit

Quoting blade527: Nintendo have done quite alot of crazy things in the past by releasing innovating consoles/games and I think that they have done a good job in the past by creating games such as ZELDA and METROID PRIME (two of my favourites) which both have unique gameplay that no other game has, thes games had great gamplay, great graphics, great storylines and a unique feel to them.

Zelda and Metroid have never been games that have had excellent compelling deep storylines. It's focused more on gameplay than anything. Hell, Metroid hardly has any storyline at all.

Samus parents were killed in a space pirate raid. Samus was raised by chozo and infused with their blood enhancing her physical attributes. Chozo build Samus her power suit. Chozo wiped out by Ridley and space pirates. Samus becomes a bounty hunter.

Wow, Samus's past!

[quote]They have been great uptil now, what do nintendo think they're doing by making consoles such as the nintendo DS and games such as PAC- PIX, I can understand a bit of innovation but they have gone a step too far. Nintendo said that the new type of gameplay lets players enjoy games more, but actually they are making games which are not fun at all with 2-D drawing games.
It's funny how you keep listing innovation and Nintendo when Nintendo didn't even make Pac-Pix. Namco did. All the features there DON'T HAVE TO BE USED. It's up to the developer.

[quote] Have nintendo forgotten the basic features which make a game appealing, they are good graphics, good gameplay and a good storyline. The games that nintendo make today lack 2 of the features and miss on out completely (STORYLINE), these games appeal to people for no more than a few days. Nintendo said that they are doing this to appeal to all audiences, but infact the games only appeal to the audience who have never played games before, if they continue the way they are they will lose their current audience.

By Blade527

So are you the audience? Because I totally highly disagree with the above statement.

Posted by Drewboy64

Have Nintendo forgotton fact that gameplay and graphic make game good?

No, they haven't. Go play Meteos, Advanced Wars, Nintendogs, Wario Ware, Jump Superstars, Castlevania and such for a few hours before you post that.

But omg, nintendo realy should have made splinter cell better because nintendo made splinter cell and ubisoft didnt.

Posted by GameMiestro

I'm sick of people saying that the DS has nothing but "drawing games" and collections of minigames. The DS is the ONLY video game system that started great and that constantly will get better. Also, people who have not played Wario Ware: Touched should not critisize minigame collections...

Quoted post: The DS is the ONLY video game system that started great and that constantly will get better.

It didn't start off all that great...

Sales, sure. But not when it came to games...

Posted by Random

Blade527 is rather biased it seems. I read a post of his earlier comparing the 360 to the PS3. I bet he's Sony biased as well. Just ignore him. Ignore his posts and maybe he'll think twice before posting biased opinions.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting blade527: Nintendo have done quite alot of crazy things in the past by releasing innovating consoles/games and I think that they have done a good job in the past by creating games such as ZELDA and METROID PRIME (two of my favourites) which both have unique gameplay that no other game has, thes games had great gamplay, great graphics, great storylines and a unique feel to them. They have been great uptil now, what do nintendo think they're doing by making consoles such as the nintendo DS and games such as PAC- PIX, I can understand a bit of innovation but they have gone a step too far. Nintendo said that the new type of gameplay lets players enjoy games more, but actually they are making games which are not fun at all with 2-D drawing games. Have nintendo forgotten the basic features which make a game appealing, they are good graphics, good gameplay and a good storyline. The games that nintendo make today lack 2 of the features and miss on out completely (STORYLINE), these games appeal to people for no more than a few days. Nintendo said that they are doing this to appeal to all audiences, but infact the games only appeal to the audience who have never played games before, if they continue the way they are they will lose their current audience.

By Blade527

Someone needs to bone up on their facts before posting such things like this.:(

You obviously havn't played to much DS games now have you? I'm not going to waist time retyping what everyoen just listed either. Here is another thing, what is wrong with 2D games anyway? I for one still like the old school 2D games. True there are tons of better DS games than the ones you just mentioned, but I don't mind playing a few of those other 2D games once in a while.

Posted by Neox

Quoting blade527: if they continue the way they are they will lose their current audience.

Indeed, DEATH TO NINTENDO

Posted by Drewboy64

OMG DEATH TO NINTENDOZ!

Posted by Neox

Quoting Drewboy64: OMG DEATH TO NINTENDOZ!

Indeed..

Posted by Drewboy64

I was being sarcastic. I love and will continue loving nintendo.

Posted by Neox

Quoting Drewboy64: I love and will continue loving nintendo.

How old are you?

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Neox: Indeed, DEATH TO NINTENDO

I could ask you the same thing.

Quoted post: Indeed, DEATH TO NINTENDO

My God, I may not like Sony that much, but I can at least respect them and what they've brought to the industry.

Quoted post: I could ask you the same thing.

Indeed. Though, we all know Nintendo is for kids, right?

Posted by Neox

Quoting Vampiro: Indeed. Though, we all know Nintendo is for kids, right?

Thank you, you got my point through

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Vampiro:
Indeed. Though, we all know Nintendo is for kids, right?

You are being sarcastic, no?

Quoted post: Thank you, you got my point through

I was being sarcastic, hence my "indeed". I know sarcasm is hard to convey on the net, but I was sure it was fairly easy to pick up.

And you're an idiot to think Nintendo is for kids. Though they tend to gravitate to characters like Mario and Luigi, they also have characters like Samus and Link. Both, though in E games, are somewhat mature characters, in that they basically kill people.

There's really no reason to call Nintendo kiddy. Simply because they have just as many M games as Sony or Microsoft (ratio). You're just being close-minded.

Quoted post: You are being sarcastic, no?

Hah! Of course!

Posted by Drewboy64

Samus is actually in a T game. And a better word to describe Nintendo is "Universal," because any gamer can pick up Mario Kart and have a hell of a lot of fun with it. Not so with a game like GTA.

Well, time to play Resident Evil 4, which isn't on the X-box :)

Posted by Neox

70 % of Nintendo games are Everyone rated. (I'm not saying that's bad) but I prefer mature games and i apologize for posting my DEATH TO NINTENDO post. Awe, and just for the record ironically enough 65 % of ps2's games are teen rated and 80 % of xbox games are mature rated.

Posted by Neox

Quoting Drewboy64: Well, time to play Resident Evil 4, which isn't on the X-box :)

Which is soon to come to the xbox :)

Quoted post: Samus is actually in a T game.

GB versions? I wasn't talking about just the Prime games.

Posted by Oforia

neox.. shut up. So the resident evil series is for kids? What is this world coming to?

[quote]Well, time to play Resident Evil 4, which isn't on the X-box :)
it may be on xbox 360 soon.

[quote]Not so with a game like GTA.
I had a good time with gta... I agree its not like mario kart with the arcade feel but I wouldn't say it's not F-U-N.

Quoted post:
70 % of Nintendo games are Everyone rated. (I'm not saying that's bad) but I prefer mature games and i apologize for posting my DEATH TO NINTENDO post. Awe, and just for the record ironically enough 65 % of ps2's games are teen rated and 80 % of xbox games are mature rated.

um..Source??

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Vampiro]It didn't start off all that great...

Alright, alright, the games after the first month of relase were pretty mediocre. However, that wasn't entirely Nintendo's fault, and look at it now.

I really don't care what happens with the GameCube. It's just to expensive, and impossible to sneak out of your room. Plus theres the cost of the TV, all the controllers, and the memory cards. Suddenly, that $99 price tag doesn't look so cheap.

Posted by Oforia

There is no point in arguing with Biased VG fans who lean toward 1 system or another.

Quoted post: Alright, alright, the games after the first month of relase were pretty mediocre. However, that wasn't entirely Nintendo's fault, and look at it now.

First month? It was ****ty for almost 3/4 of a year. Only a few GOOD games came out during that time. it's only now picking up.

Quoted post: it may be on xbox 360 soon.

Haven't heard a thing about that. You sure you don't mean RE5?

Quoted post: There is no point in arguing with Biased VG fans who lean toward 1 system or another.

Truth

Posted by Neox

Quoting Mixman: neox.. shut up. So the resident evil series is for kids? What is this world coming to?

Note that I said SEVENTY PERCENT of games are everyone rated.

And for sorce my friend has about 600 games for xbox ps2 and gamecube and i took the time to see what ratings were what.

Quoted post: And for sorce my friend has about 600 games for xbox ps2 and gamecube and i took the time to see what ratings were what.

So it was a figure you pulled out of your *** based on some games your friend had?

Hahahaha.

Posted by Oforia

HAHA. Maybe he only buys M xbox games and E nintendo games. Think about that?

btw:: learn how to spell Source. Better yet....just shut up.

Posted by Neox

No, I will not shut up and this forum is not a spelling or grammar test it is a place of self expression and I do not own a Gamecube nor do I WANT to own one.

Posted by Drewboy64

I wasn't saying GTA wasn't fun, just that not everyone would want to play it.

"It's just to expensive, and impossible to sneak out of your room. Plus theres the cost of the TV, all the controllers, and the memory cards. Suddenly, that $99 price tag doesn't look so cheap." Compared to the other systems, it's pretty good; cheaper, more portable, thus being the easiest to sneak out other htan the small PS2, and all the other systems use memory cards (although i know x-box doesn't really need them).

Please Neox, stop humiliating yourself.

Posted by Burrito

Resident Evil 4 isn't coming out for xbox. Where did you see this?

Posted by GameMiestro

Actually, I was talking about why I play on the DS, which does not use memory cards. Another plus.

BTW, what are we trying to argue about here? It looks like everyone is just yelling at Neox.

Posted by Oforia

Quoted post: Resident Evil 4 isn't coming out for xbox. Where did you see this?

Theory stated in Xbox Magazine in the November Issue.

Posted by Burrito

If there is no fact behind it then Neox shouldn't be stating it like it's a fact.

Grand Theft Auto can't be played by kids whose parents wont get them that type of game, or people that don't like violence. Mario kart can be played by almost anyone. That's what makes it so popular.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Burrito: If there is no fact behind it then Neox shouldn't be stating it like it's a fact.

Grand Theft Auto can't be played by kids whose parents wont get them that type of game, or people that don't like violence. Mario kart can be played by almost anyone. That's what makes it so popular.

Yeah.

I'm saying a game like Mario Kart isn't a kiddy game, but one that can be enjoyed by people who aren't kids. In the same way, an M game could be enjoyed by some people under seventeen (although not everyone).

Posted by maian

Sorry, I'm in kind of a hurry, so I skipped most of this page. :cool: Sorry for saying anything that's already been said ;o

Nintendo. They are not kiddy. I'm sick of all the kiddy crap. Sure, there games may look cuter or more colorful. So what? Any good gamer will realize a game DOES NOT need to have an f'ing T or M slapped on it to be good. I'm sick of all the stupid Halo/GTA/FPS junkies who are too immature and close minded to consider an E game. Ask any gamer you know. Everyone I've seen who has played Animal Crossing has loved it. Everyone loves Mario, even people who haven't played it. Zelda has enticing stories and fantastic gameplay. Because Nintendo is brave enough to make games for everyone, people don't buy it because you don't shoot a massive gun or slaughter crowds of people. Look beyond all the freaking guns and teen ratings, and you'll find that, *gasp* Nintendo actually makes good games!

A perfect example, which inspired me to post this, is Neox. Wow, you're an idiot. How many of Nintendo's games have you played? Are you judging them by their E rating? What the crap does the E rating have to do with the quality at all? Who cares if it's "kiddy", IT'S A GOOD GAME. It's gamers like this that annoy the crap out of me. You don't own a Gamecube, you're a seemingly Xbox fanboy, and your taste is limited. Go out and try playing some E games. They're not that bad!

Sorry for exploding, but I despise the kiddy Nintendo remarks and such. :)

Posted by Random

Quoting Mixman: Theory stated in Xbox Magazine in the November Issue.

Meh.. What does it matter.. Resident Evil 4 wasn't that great. The camera angle was rather poor and you weren't actually fighting zombies. I'm looking much more forward to Resident Evil 5 for the 360. Which actually has Zombies that Run. So it'll probably be the most intense Resident Evil yet. How did we jump from GC To Xbox again? Yeah drewboy please um.. stop with the fanboyism. I'm not going to bash you but c'mon.. I was there once upon a time. Let it drop..

Quoted post: Resident Evil 4 wasn't that great. The camera angle was rather poor and you weren't actually fighting zombies.

You're kidding me right? The camera angle was very well done, the game was fantastic, and so what if there weren't any zombies?

Posted by Random

It just ruins the point. I mean i'll give the game credit. It had it's ways of suprising you at times, but all in all it wasn't so great.. I don't know.. It was missing the Resident Evil feel. I'm not saying it was a horrible game but i'd rate it probably 7/10 maybe 8 at best. I was going to wait for the PS2 version but purchased it for the GCN anyways and my cousin and I had a hard time getting into the game at all. It was missing the feel. Missing the feel *sniffle.*

I'm tellin you tho.. If Resi 5 has zombies running as in the trailer, it'll be one hell of a hard game.

They were basically zombies anyways...

Anyways, running zombies are worse then parasitic villagers. How is that not ruining the feel?

Posted by Drewboy64

REsdient Evil 4 was different from the previous ones, but it was still same in the sense that it was scary as hell. And the guys are basically zombies - one hit kill when you take their head off, etc.

And yes, Nintendo games are good. Just because a game is rated E doesn't mean it's bad, or kiddy.
Take Meteos for example: It's rated E because there is no violent content or sexual stuff in it, but it's not rated E because it's designed for kids only. In fact, a kid would probably have less ease playing Meteos then an older person, seeing as its a fast-paced puzzler.

Posted by VicE

Last time I checked, there wasn't an E anywhere in "Kids Only! No Adults!" (Heh, I like how people ignore the fact that the "Everyone" rating used to be "Kids to Adults" up until around 98 or so)

I'd say quite a few, if not the majority, of old-school classic games that show up on a lot of people's "Best Games Ever!" lists would be E rated if they were released today. ZOMG ONLY THREE-YEAR-OLDS LIKE SUPER MARIO BROS 3!!!

Posted by Drewboy64

I must say, if someone says something like "OMG, only cool people who are old and mature play M rated games and only people who are threezors play teh E games!" then that person is less mature than gamers who play E games because they're fun. Yeah.

Posted by TendoAddict

I really hate people like you Noex, I just really do.

I would argue but every-one else seemed to have riped your ideas to shreads.

Posted by Neox

Hey dum *** my names not Noex + this is just a forum they havent ripped my ideas to treads they've just insulted them. And why hate some one over a thread that's kind of dumb.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'd like to point out that the film Scream isn't regarded as a mature film, just a film they should only be viewed by mature people. There's a difference.

Quoted post: And why hate some one over a thread that's kind of dumb.

Technically, since we know next to nothing about you, all we have to base our opinions off is how your present your ideas and yourself within your various posts.

Thus, he can either like or dislike you because of one thread.

Of course, that would be different if this was real life, but it is not. Instead, just a forum where text means all.

Posted by Pit

Quoting SomebodyRandom: It just ruins the point. I mean i'll give the game credit. It had it's ways of suprising you at times, but all in all it wasn't so great.. I don't know.. It was missing the Resident Evil feel. I'm not saying it was a horrible game but i'd rate it probably 7/10 maybe 8 at best. I was going to wait for the PS2 version but purchased it for the GCN anyways and my cousin and I had a hard time getting into the game at all. It was missing the feel. Missing the feel *sniffle.*

I'm tellin you tho.. If Resi 5 has zombies running as in the trailer, it'll be one hell of a hard game.

They weren't even real zombies in any of the game. They were infected by the T-Virus and became like that. It's not like they were killed and came out of a grave to only eat brains. They were a result of a virus.

Plus, the Resident Evil feel sucked until 4. The ****ty controls and the camera. The games just started getting good now.

Posted by blade527

No resident evil titles have always been great you just have to give the game a chance, O.K maybe the controlls are a bit different to what you are used 2.

When I first got resi 1 I returned it the same day but about half a year later after reading some reviews abou the game I finally realised what I was missing and I went a game store and bought it again, when I mastered them I found myself playing one of the best survival horror games on the gc. The first time I saw a zombie i paniced like hell and wasted all my ammo, lol.

The point is don't dis resident evil games just for the camera angles and controlls, the reason they are like that is to add to the sense of horror and suspense.

Quoted post: O.K maybe the controls are a bit different to what you are used 2.

Different? Yes, but that does not excuse bad controls.

Posted by Pikamon

Getting back on topic....

After seeing the Revolution and the Rev. Controller, I must say that I am looking forward to it. I see a bright future for the company, and they seem to be going down the right path. They're doing more serious and mature games like Metroid Prime and Zelda: TP, and they also have Smash Bros (by far their greatest seller). I've heard talks about new games like Kid Icarus and other fascinating endevours. They're back with Square, too.

I just don't see them failing unless they really screw things up. I would hate for them to go the way of Sega. :(

Posted by Fate

If Nintendo fails with the next console (which hopefully won't happen), the company will recede to Japan. If Japan hates the console, Nintendo is screwed. The console war outside of Japan is different. Out here, the grit is viewed and all cards are on the table. Nintendo held ground with the GC, but it was a failure in terms of popularity outside of the home country. Nintendo has a genuine opportunity to switch the console war around to their favor.

I only wish all consoles had equal footing.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Fate:
I only wish all consoles had equal footing.

I only wish there were one, and one only.

(Not handhelds :) )

Posted by boomstick

Quoting ExoXile: I only wish there were one, and one only.

(Not handhelds :) )

No, that would suck really bad.

Posted by Fate

Talk about artistic clashing and quality debunking.

Posted by Speedfreak

Considering all I've heard about PS3, more and more I'm thinking that the next war will essentially be Revolution VS 360. That would probably be the most interesting console war ever...

Posted by Drewboy64

what have you heard about it? And yes, that would be interesting... Although I think it'd sort of be like PSP vs DS: innovation and games vs. some games and lots of technological stuff.

Posted by Speedfreak

Crap to develop for, no chance of getting full power out of it resulting in Xbox having a better CPU, it's going to be out extremely late and seems to have no real distinguishing features whatsoever. I've even heard rumours that it'll be released at late at Xmas 2006, which would give Xbox 360 a whole year's head start. Basically, I think Microsoft could just beat Sony. You'd think that, by default, they'd also beat Nintendo. The Revolutions sheer originality allows it to completely set itself apart from the other two and sidestep the threat completely.

Posted by Big Boss

Nintendo is the wild card of the next generation. After being part of a discussion with the Full Sail game advisory panel a little over a week ago, which includes artists, game designers, programmers, and product managers from the industry, we came to the realization that developers know as much about the hardware as Nintendo has made public to the media. The general view is that Microsoft is the one that will make the big jump from distant second to a direct competitor of Sony, with Nintendo up in the air on whether or not the company will join the two giants. Sony is seen as remaining on the top, whether sharing its lead or not, while Nintendo's success will depend on the uncertainty of how the Revolution will be received by the mainstream audience.

Posted by Drewboy64

Ah, I see.
It's a shame so many people just bypass the fact that Revolution is innovative and will be fun to play, thinking it's kiddy and dumb. "OMG A [insert appliance] REMOTE!"

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Big Boss]

Speedy's right. As far as I know, every developer that's on board is using a GC right now to make their games. Which really isn't a problem. They still have over a year (I'm sure). And look and MS, they gave their developers final kits in August. They barely had 3 months to complete the games.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Yes, but even working off of GAMECUBE programming structure, the preliminary kits would have to include the technology to make use of the controller, as well as pretty specific estimates on graphical capabilities of the final product. Thus the developers with them know more than the few who deigned to speak to big boss.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Yes, but even working off of GAMECUBE programming structure, the preliminary kits would have to include the technology to make use of the controller, as well as pretty specific estimates on graphical capabilities of the final product. Thus the developers with them know more than the few who deigned to speak to big boss.

Heh, I wouldn't be surprised if all those developers with the actual DKs were simply the ones owned by Nintendo.

Posted by Speedfreak

Well they would be the first developers to get them, yeah. Just like with any console manufacturer? 0_o

Posted by veritas

Nintendo is Classic, It's never dying out

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Big Boss]actual DKs were simply the ones owned by Nintendo.[/color]

More likely a good deal of the big-name Japanese developers have them, but few-to-no Western developers.

Posted by Drewboy64

I bet lots of my freinds' parents will like these games, especially my neighbor; hsi parents enjoy Donkey Konga, so they probably would love the Revolution.

Posted by Random

I see this generation of Nintendo going for more of the old school downloads than anything else which is what I'd like. I'd love to see some new zelda, mario and DK games but the old ones were classics and were always close to my heart.

I also see Nintendo building relations with Microsoft til Sony falls from their throne. I don't see exactly close relations but I see Microsoft developing a few games for Nintendos collections and who knows what else. I doubt Microsoft will buy nintendo out (At least not for a long time while Nintendo manages to make the sales it does), but I definately see them helping eachother. My Enemies Enemy is my friend.. Is that not how the saying goes?

After all.. Who does Microsoft and Nintendo hate more.. Eachother or Sony?

Not saying you'll see Mario on a Microsoft console or really a Halo game on a Nintendo console, but perhaps microsoft allowing rare or another company microsoft owns to make More games for Nintendo, not just handheld games. And who knows what'll happen from there..

I'd really like to see them work together..

Posted by Speedfreak

I doubt it'd get as far as allowing Rare Revolution games, but I could certainly see them conspiring in their release schedules to exert a constant strangle on Sony.

Posted by Drewboy64

i guess i could sort of see some developers close to nintendo or microsoft developing for each toher and such, but I doubt it. I would love to see perfect dark for download on the rev, or something, but oh well.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: I see this generation of Nintendo going for more of the old school downloads than anything else which is what I'd like. I'd love to see some new zelda, mario and DK games but the old ones were classics and were always close to my heart.

Way too early to make that predication, since we have no idea what's gonna to be on the Revolution except Nintendo's franchises.

Posted by Drewboy64

I think Nitnendo will have lots of downloadable content, but that won't be the focuse of the Rev. THey are going to look more at the innovative new games and possibilities.

Posted by Eludiac

this is my opinion on the future of nintendo:

so far the revolution looks muy caliente but its innovation may get boring after a while. many third party games probably wont show up on the revolution. dont get me wrong, the rev looks like LOADS of fun but the games may not be full of breath taking stories and plot twists and great graphics (already turned down HD) as i had come to expect from nintendo. heres a quote from denis dyack, head of silicon knights explaining what direction nintendo wants to go in: "They wanted to create smaller and simpler games, and we wanted to make deeper and more-epic game experiences." im sad to say it but this long time fan and nintendo must part ways. i have to go with the ps3 in this next gen race.

as for the portables, nintendo is my choice. the combination of the ds's innovation and it online capabilities will shake the foundation of gaming as we know it. i love my ds and i always will. true the ds got off to a rough start but its getting better each day. Mario Kart, metroid prime hunters, viewtiful joe, sonic rush, and many more games will be making their way to the ds soon. i can tell u that mario kart online will be the bombest.

Posted by Speedfreak

Dyack is a pompous retard who doesn't even know how to make his own games fun.

You've used some very poor logic and displayed great ignorance in that analysis.

Posted by Eludiac

what are u talking about? dyack knows more about the gaming industry than u do. ignorance? poor logic? notice i said MAY and PROBABLY not anything definite.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Eludiac: "They wanted to create smaller and simpler games, and we wanted to make deeper and more-epic game experiences."

Wow, what an idiot.

They wanted to create games that are simple to grasp and easy to play. Making the control scheme easier to pick up won't take anything away from a "deep and epic experience."

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Eludiac]what are u talking about? dyack knows more about the gaming industry than u do. ignorance? poor logic? notice i said MAY and PROBABLY not anything definite.

I don't care if Dyack supposedly knows more about the industry than I do, I don't like his games or his design principles. The guy thinks storylines are integral to gameplay, he's full of it.

Posted by maian

...Wait, how does innovation even remotely affect the depth and storyline of a game?

Posted by Eludiac

i never said that i didnt like the revolution. im just basing my opinion with what i know. the rovolution may have some deep games who knows. its all speculation (i emphasize SPECULATION). from the video from the tokyo game show it looked like they were playing some minigames. i can really see that this system will shine in FPS, baseball, and sword-fighting (WEEEE), but its bold controller scheme may scare some third party games away. thats all im sayin man. and story lines nowadays are integral to gameplay. i dont think ud rather play a pointless game than one with a compelling story. then again if the gameplay is superb than it doest matter.

Posted by Drewboy64

I think Revolution will be pretty succesful. Some core gamers may loose some interst, but I'm pretty sure it will be grasped once they see the amazing fun of the games and how many core games there are. Also, I think lots of casual gamers will be attracted, because this type of innovative gameplay is the kind of things I notice non-gamers loving; my neighbor's parents love to use the DK bongos to play Donkey Konga, and even MY parents thought it was pretty cool that I could blow into the DS's mike or draw on the screen. The Rev's new control mechanism is gonna be even more breathtaking, and thus get more attension from more people.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Eludiac]i never said that i didnt like the revolution. im just basing my opinion with what i know. the rovolution may have some deep games who knows. its all speculation (i emphasize SPECULATION). from the video from the tokyo game show it looked like they were playing some minigames. i can really see that this system will shine in FPS, baseball, and sword-fighting (WEEEE), but its bold controller scheme may scare some third party games away. thats all im sayin man. and story lines nowadays are integral to gameplay. i dont think ud rather play a pointless game than one with a compelling story. then again if the gameplay is superb than it doest matter.

If the gameplay is superb then story means sod all anyway. Storylines don't aid core gameplay, fact. It doesn't make battles more challenging, deeper or otherwise more interesting in Final Fantasy, it didn't make stomping goombas more fun in Super Mario Bros and it sure as fuck hasn't helped recent Sonic games. The only possible benefit a story could give to core gameplay is setting out a goal, such as "Save Pauline from Donkey Kong", but even then you don't need a storyline to set goals. So far the controller has scared away zero 3rd parties. The only ones that are sceptical are those who that have yet to use it and those who have yet to use it AND have no imagination. i.e. many western developers.

Posted by Drewboy64

What do you mean? DK: junlge beat had the most in depth storyline [/sarcasm], and it was really fun, too!
Same with SSB, Metroid, Zelda and mario!

Posted by Eludiac

im not disagreeing with any of u im just saying it doesnt look to the favor of the revolution, it just doesnt. i LOVE a lot of the nintendo games. i might in fact change my mind to only gettin a revolution. right now i wanna get a ps3 AND a revolution. i hope that nintendo isnt digging themselves into a hole they cant get out of. that would've been much more convenient if the revolution's downloads were free. another thing: anyone know if revolution online is free? if not= not good in today's market

Posted by Speedfreak

You're not disagreeing with us, you're just using logic (or absence of which) that we disagree with.

Isn't Dyack a graphics-whore? Which would explain why he woul rather work with the PS3 and 360.

Posted by Random

Wait Revolutions downloads cost? how much.. if it's not too much then I won't mind. But if it ends up racking up costs, then I may change my mind on getting a Revolution. I'll just dust off the SNES/NES consoles and find the games on Ebay if the price is high.

Tell me Nintendo hasn't made that official please?

Quoted post: Wait Revolutions downloads cost? how much.. if it's not too much then I won't mind.

We don't know. Hell, we don't even know if they will actually charge or not at this point.

Quoted post: anyone know if revolution online is free?

Nintendo wants it to be free, but that's not stoping developers from charging for their own games.

Posted by Random

For Nintendo's sake, if they want to get a Huge fanbase back, the downloaded games better be free. They'll still have a fanbase, but to really get a mass of fans back, have it be free, and the revolution to be cheap and the fans will come crawling back. Trust me.. I think it'd be a wise business move.

I understand they might not make as much money now, but down the road they could make a lot more. Sort of what Microsoft had planned with the Xbox. Not make so much with the Xbox but plan to make a lot with the 360 which looks to have actually had an effect aswell.

Quoted post: the downloaded games better be free.

What if they were .99 cents? Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Posted by Random

ok well dirt cheap wouldn't be bad. But anything over $5 is really pushing it. I'd still buy multiple games but I'd be a little upset about it.

Posted by Eludiac

depends though about the $.99 i really dont wanna have to use a credit card for that. if they do make ppl pay, i hope they do it some way different than that. oh and so u guys know...i cant break up with nintendo... ill be getting the revolution...i just cant loose SSB and zelda and all the downloadable one! but i guess ill really have to see the games before i make a definite decision ;) now what about the numchuk style contoller? i think that could get a little messy. i dont wanna have to keep buying peripherals for different games. that sure takes away major $$$

Posted by Speedfreak

There will most likely be about as many peripherals for Revolution games as there were for GC, all of which were bundled with the game. Like Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat with the Bongos and Mario Party 7 with the microphone.

Quoted post: depends though about the $.99 i really dont wanna have to use a credit card for that. if they do make ppl pay, i hope they do it some way different than that.

I wouldn't be surprised if you went to stores to buy game cards or something like that. Let's say you buy one that's worth ten dollars, get a code, put it in, and download a game. If it costs a dollar, you'll have nine dollars remaining on the card.

It's an idea that COULD work. And it would be easy for anyone to do, really.

Posted by Seres Aran

Quoting Vampiro: I wouldn't be surprised if you went to stores to buy game cards or something like that. Let's say you buy one that's worth ten dollars, get a code, put it in, and download a game. If it costs a dollar, you'll have nine dollars remaining on the card.

Hm... excellent point. If there is a cost, that should definitely be the way it's paid for.

And I hope the online gaming on the revolution is free. Then all I'll have to do is find a way to get rid of my 56K and get a broadband adapter thingy... unless online gaming supports modems... o.O *prays*

Posted by Eludiac

thats a good solution vampiro dude, i'd totally do this.

look what i found though on gamespot.com about mr miyamato. its headlined "Miyamoto: Games should belong to the entire family" read the article and see if u like his views. im kinda iffy on it.

article:[URL="http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136988.html"]http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136988.html[/URL]

Posted by Drewboy64

I'm glad Miyamoto has this view on some games. I know that core games will be kept for gamers, like Zelda and such, but I'm glad universal games will be available for lots of people. I know many people who like these casual games. And I totally agree with Miyamoto that Nintendo games aren't kiddy, but for everyone who likes a good game.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Vampiro]I wouldn't be surprised if you went to stores to buy game cards or something like that. Let's say you buy one that's worth ten dollars, get a code, put it in, and download a game. If it costs a dollar, you'll have nine dollars remaining on the card.

And... easy to hack.

Posted by Speedfreak

...phone companies do it to let teenagers add credit to their phones with cash.

Posted by Drewboy64

i think Nintendo downloads will be free, but third party games will cost money...

Quoted post: And... easy to hack.

Not if they actually put thought into it.

Posted by Seres Aran

All I can say is... ONLINE SUPER SMASH BROTHERS AND METROID PRIME!!! WOOT! NYAH!!! *Twitch twitch* Need I say more?

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Seres Aran: All I can say is... ONLINE SUPER SMASH BROTHERS AND METROID PRIME!!! WOOT! NYAH!!! *Twitch twitch* Need I say more?

Yes, you do. Online crystal chronicles!
WOO! God I'm gonna love playing SSB on the first day of the Revolution's release.

Posted by Dexter

Online Metroid doesn't sound appealing to me. I remember fondly the feeling of isolation. Being in a gigantic world with no one else around gave the adventure a certain quality that I couldn't imagine being there if it were to be online. Geographic remoteness is rad.

Posted by Drewboy64

that's why an online metroid game (like hunters) would have a single player mode and a seperate multiplayer mode.
I'm not sure if a new Metroid for Rev would have online multiplayer or not. The DS one focuses more on shooting rather than loneliness and whatnot. But with the revolution, a feeling of isolation could be expressed with the next gen graphics and everything, but the controls would be perfect for hunting other hunters. Blarg.

Posted by Major Kitty

Blarg... that's what elites say on halo?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Dexter]Online Metroid doesn't sound appealing to me. I remember fondly the feeling of isolation. Being in a gigantic world with no one else around gave the adventure a certain quality that I couldn't imagine being there if it were to be online. Geographic remoteness is rad.

See, I never felt alone in Metroid. I always felt like "there are some huge freakin' monsters here somewhere". To me, Metroid multiplayer just recreates the franticness of boss battles.

Posted by Burrito

Yeah, you aren't really alone in Metroid. There are space pirates all over the place.

Quoted post: Yeah, you aren't really alone in Metroid. There are space pirates all over the place.

You haven't played a Metroid game in awhile, have you? You're completely alone in the sense that you've been isolated from the rest of the universe. It's just you on a vast world with absolutely no help and barely anyone to talk to.

Posted by Burrito

What I mean is, you are alone in the sense that there's noone to help you or talk to you, but the planet is full of strange creatures that jump out and attack you. I think they could capture that feeling in multiplayer. As long as there is no chat function.

Posted by Major Kitty

there will be cht function tho

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Speedfreak: See, I never felt alone in Metroid. I always felt like "there are some huge freakin' monsters here somewhere". To me, Metroid multiplayer just recreates the franticness of boss battles.

I've never really felt a feeling of isolation, either. I mean, sure you are alone, but I don't think that's one of the main points of the game. I think it's more about exploration. Resident Evil is a game where I feel alone, and it feels like delicious ****.
And I'm pretty sure a chat function would be in multiplayer mode. If you want to feel alone online, just turn of the mic function or whatnot.

Quoted post: I've never really felt a feeling of isolation, either. I mean, sure you are alone, but I don't think that's one of the main points of the game. I think it's more about exploration.

You're exploring a big world alone. It combines the two to create a different feel than most games.

Quoted post: but the planet is full of strange creatures that jump out and attack you.

So? There's barely any way to interact with them, other than killing them. Go to a different country where the official language is different than your's. You may be surrounded by millions of people, but you get the feeling of being completely isolated due to the language barrier.

You don't have to be alone to actually feel alone.

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Vampiro: So? There's barely any way to interact with them, other than killing them. Go to a different country where the official language is different than your's. You may be surrounded by millions of people, but you get the feeling of being completely isolated due to the language barrier.

You don't have to be alone to actually feel alone.

That's my point! I'm saying they could have multiplayer while still keeping the feeling of loneliness.

Posted by Drewboy64

I'm sure Revolution would have Mic options, so you could probably just turn all voice chat off if you really wanted to in a Metroid online game.

Posted by Jesus of Suburbia

Quoting Vampiro: It didn't start off all that great...

That's true, but now they are coming out with good games. And I personally didn't like Wario Ware, however i don't like Warioware.