3D Modeling and Animation

Posted by Linko_16

I'm taking 3D Modeling and Animation in school this year, and I'm really quite proud of some of my stuff. We use a program called 3DsMax, which is extremely complicated and I've only touched the surface of its capabilities. Check it out.

All Files are .avi... you may be better off right-clicking and selecting "Save Target As."

[url=http://vgchat.com/~linkman/avi/Pac_Mania.avi]Pac Mania[/url]
This project was one of our first and only required basic animation and a lofted object, which is a way of modeling a shape. I lofted the cherry, which was really just for the sake of lofting something since I could've done so with simple spheres.

[url=http://vgchat.com/~linkman/avi/X-Treme_Victorian_IV.avi]X-Treme Victorian[/url]
Our teacher only required us to model a bicycle, but I wanted to do something a little different than everyone else, so I made it an old victorian model. I had lots of extra time, so to make it even funnier, I imported some pre-modeled monster trucks from another tutorial and made it flip over them, even though animation was not a requirement. The only thing that really bothers me about this one is slightly chunky camera movement, but I'm proud of my modeling.

[url=http://vgchat.com/~linkman/avi/Nusery_Surprise_short.avi]Nusery Surprise[/url]
For this project, we were meant to show our comprehension of the lighting tutorials we'd been practicing on. I thought of this, which uses an omni light throughout the room and a spot light on the box, both of which change to red when the box opens.

Big shout-out to Linkman for hosting these for me. Everybody rep him.

Posted by The Judge

*Praise*

Self-centered *sshole, making the Dark Adonis praise you.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

The models look good and the animations are super fluid. Good job, keep up the good work.

I never used 3DsMax, so I don't know how powerful it is, but here's a word of advice: Never-ever use TrueSpace, unless you're feeling suicidal.

Posted by Klarth

3D studio max??! Sweet, that's what developers use. Hell, it's what Pixar uses for their films if I'm not mistaken.

I'd watch them, but... I can't download/stream .avi here. :(

Posted by Linko_16

All you people who say you can't download are just lazy. :beep:

But, seriously... Next thing I want to try animating is an actual person. I mean, everything I've done thusfar has been more time consuming than difficult. The way the program does that is they give you a model for a person all ready to go, but it's just blocks and stuff. You model the movement on that first. Then you have to model each individual body part yourself, put it on top of the corresponding body part of the dummy and link their movement together. I'm not really sure who to model it after, though.

Posted by Hyper

3DSMax is a powerful program, I've used it before. I switched to C4D though, it's easier. Nice work, though!

Posted by Fate

Good work, Linko. I like it.

3DSMax is powerful, but I prefer Maya. I have the new 7.0.
:cool:

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Whoa, crazy. I've not even moved onto animation with Max yet (my model was a lot more complex than everyone else's in the class, so I was stuck trying to create this weird face like in my comic when everyone else was doing stickmen).

Props. MAD props.

Posted by Linko_16

Our most recent project is a train. Most of the class has just put together some blocks that look like a train and moved it across an excuse for a track... this class is one taken for an easy Fine Arts credit, after all, and it is one you can play computer games in when you get bored. Myself, I'm interested in reproducing the mechanics of a steam engine turning the wheels, which started with a short bout of research. It's proving the most difficult thing I've done so far.

By the way, as a personal project inbetween instructions, I've begun a model for Yuffie Kisaragi of FFVII... it's not going well, but maybe it will someday be presentable.

Posted by Drewboy64

Those are really cool. Nice work.