Science talk

Posted by The Judge

This isn't funny, but it's informative. If you didn't already know all this, you might learn something.

sunaipakun: Gravity affects time. Discuss.
Malus Iudex: does it?
Malus Iudex: to my knowledge, time was a static force
Malus Iudex: though I believe I've heard that traveling faster than light could possibly revert one's temporal state
Malus Iudex: however, this is mere speculation on the part of modern human minds
sunaipakun: seems like such a simple concept, but yeah
Malus Iudex: my quesiton being what makes light so special?
sunaipakun: time is tricky lawl
Malus Iudex: take the fastest car in the world
Malus Iudex: it's the fastest. period
Malus Iudex: no car goes faster
Malus Iudex: and then you go faster than it
Malus Iudex: do you hit some sort of automobile nirvana?
Malus Iudex: the same with time
Malus Iudex: ok, it's the fastest thing in existence
Malus Iudex: what makes it so impossible to go faster?
Malus Iudex: and why does going faster entail you revert temporally
Malus Iudex: ?
Malus Iudex: besides, time travel is extremely dangerous
Malus Iudex: but back on subject
Malus Iudex: gravity doesn't affect it
sunaipakun: it certainly affects the human concept of time D:
Malus Iudex: what makes light so special?
sunaipakun: what's light have to do with it?
Malus Iudex: weren't you reading?
sunaipakun: just state what it is you think light is exclusive to, lol
Malus Iudex: light is fast
Malus Iudex: whoop dee doo
sunaipakun: oh, you mean why it's the defines speed?
sunaipakun: remove the >_>
sunaipakun: and 's
Malus Iudex: yes
sunaipakun: not necessarily is a reason
Malus Iudex: ah
sunaipakun: just is so far experimentally and theoretically true
Malus Iudex: ah
Malus Iudex: theoretically
Malus Iudex: but I say it's bull****
sunaipakun: if the theory of relativity is correct, it isn't
Malus Iudex: explain that plz
sunaipakun: basically, if something can travel faster than light, theory of relativity dies... too difficult to explain why
Malus Iudex: well then the theory of relativity is doomed to fall eventually
Malus Iudex: as humans make greater leaps and bounds in technology
Malus Iudex: we can do anything
sunaipakun: still have a long ****ing way to go
Malus Iudex: I understand that
Malus Iudex: but as soon as we discover perpetual motion
Malus Iudex: we'll get there
sunaipakun: mainly due to that ******* gravity
Malus Iudex: lol
sunaipakun: but back to my original point, it has been shown that time as we know it goes slower, the stronger the gravitational pull on us is
sunaipakun: so being at sea level makes you age slightly slower than someone at 5000ft above
Malus Iudex: huh
Malus Iudex: interesting
Malus Iudex: and living in the core of the earth?
sunaipakun: lol, i'm not sure gravity works the same way if you are the center of it
Malus Iudex: well, assuming you weren't incinerated
sunaipakun: i can say that being slightly off-center of the middle would make you age slower, though i don't know how much
Malus Iudex: unfortunately, you're taking the black and white values only
Malus Iudex: the fact of the matter is, despite aging slowly, being at such high pressures underwater, for example, would also significantly reduce your lifespan
sunaipakun: i'm talking as if gravity was the only variable D:
Malus Iudex: well that's sheer foolishness
Malus Iudex: moving on

Posted by brownoystercult

I don't give a ****

Posted by The Judge

Thanks for the input.

Next time don't read the thread. :)

Posted by Ant

tl;dr

Posted by brownoystercult

Quoting Ant: tl;dr

Posted by sabre

What sniper's saying holds. Just that it's so slight that you don't notice it - it has to happen over a huge, unimaginable scale to be noticable.

Posted by Azusa

[quote][FONT=Times New Roman] Malus Iudex: but I say it's bull****
sunaipakun: if the theory of relativity is correct, it isn't
Malus Iudex: explain that plz
sunaipakun: basically, if something can travel faster than light, theory of relativity dies... too difficult to explain why
Malus Iudex: well then the theory of relativity is doomed to fall eventually[/FONT]

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_field_theory"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_field_theory[/URL]
[FONT=Times New Roman]

[/FONT]

Posted by Lord of Spam

My head.... just.... exploded.... GRAH.

Your lack of comprehension is astounding.

Posted by The Judge

Sorry that I'm not well-versed in the fields of Quantum Physics, [COLOR="White"]a[/COLOR]sshole.

Posted by Ant

Light is pure energy...so nothing can really go faster then that.

Posted by Azusa

There is a growing amount of evidence to suggest that the speed of light can be broken. Most of it is theorectical, of course; but a small amount of it has proven to be possible, like the Bell Inequality. Something to think about:

[URL="http://www.khouse.org/articles/2000/265/"][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem[/URL]
[/URL]

Posted by The Judge

My real question was the fact of why the concept of going faster than pure energy would change your temporal status. Energy and the fabrics of chronological matter are most likely different. However, time is an odd matter to discuss and research. Energy is there, and though time is "present," it is not "there," wherein "there" means "here."

Posted by Acheron

Quoting The Judge:
sunaipakun: but back to my original point, it has been shown that time as we know it goes slower, the stronger the gravitational pull on us is
sunaipakun: so being at sea level makes you age slightly slower than someone at 5000ft above

I fail to see how slower aging equates to slowing down of time itself. There are plenty of other techniques that stall aging and death, yet they are not trumpeted as controlling time. Clarify?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Uh, if time goes slower, you age less. :/

Edit: Controlling time controls aging, but nobody is trying to say that the converse is true...

Posted by Acheron

Eh, probably confusion in terms of wording. It appeared to me that Sniper's statement was effectively "People at 5000 ft above sea level age at a different rate than people at sea level, thus gravity affects the rate at which time passes". For this statement to be true, we would have to accept that slower aging equals, or at least entails, slower time.

Of course, I have an absolutely BULLSH[COLOR=Black]I[/COLOR]T record when it comes to figuring out what people are trying to say. So take this with a grain of salt.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Higher gravity (i.e. being closer to sea level) slows time, which means that you age slower.

Posted by sniper

I was only using the aging thing as an example.