XP Service Pack 3

Posted by Klarth

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_XP_Service_Pack_3_After_Vista/1128101674

[quote]...the company plans to release a third service pack for the Windows XP operating system. According to Bernard Ourghanlian, technical and security director at Microsoft France, the update is significant and a priority for Microsoft's developers.
It'll ship after Vista, apparently. I for one won't make the full switch to Vista for a while (compatability), but it'll be interesting to see what SP3 will add. Support for unsigned .msstyles, please?

EDIT: PLEASE BE WINFS, PLEASE

Posted by Proto Man

It is to include Windows Media Player 11, and Internet Explorer 7 from what I have read. There are supposed to be other goodies, but I can't remember where the article I read about it is.

What is WINFS?

Posted by Klarth

"WinFS is the code name of a Windows storage subsystem, being developed by Microsoft for use on its Windows operating system. WinFS is not a file system, but a file storage subsystem that will run ontop of the NTFS file system, indexing the content of the drive. The codename WinFS stands for Windows Future Storage but will likely change before the technology is released.

Beta 1 was made available to MSDN Subscribers on August 29, 2005. There is no release date for the final product yet."

You could go look for a leaked beta if you really wanted but it might not run too well at this stage. It looks like it won't be included with Vista, "Yukon" or "Longhorn Server", and seeing as SP3 is shipping after those, I reckon it'll likely be included in that. Good for people who hate having file structure. :)

Posted by higbvuyb

But didn't Microsoft say that they were abandoning the WinFS project because it was too complex?

Yes.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting higbvuyb: But didn't Microsoft say that they were abandoning the WinFS project because it was too complex?

Yes.

No, I have not seen anything that would say so.

Posted by Klarth

http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/WinFS/default.aspx
Looks like it's still very much in dev.