Nintendo Wi-Fi Revealed!

Posted by Spaz

[quote]
Nintendo's US Wi-Fi Revealed
Connect your DS to the internet this November. Full details right here.
by Craig Harris
October 5, 2005 - To coincide with the details coming from Japan, Nintendo of America has revealed the US plans for the service that will link Nintendo DS games wirelessly all over the world. Already revealed as the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, this internet service will go online starting November 14th in the US, with the first Nintendo-published games, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing: Wild World, and Metroid Prime Hunters supporting the network. The first third-party game will be Activision's Tony Hawk's American Sk8land.

The service will be free to Nintendo DS owners, requiring no additional charge to play supported games over the internet. Households with Wi-Fi networks can access the service with only a minimal of setup procedures. For households with standard broadband internet access and no wireless router, Nintendo will sell separately the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector that will enable the Nintendo DS systems to connect to the internet.

Nintendo of America will also set up thousands of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection hotspots all over the US, and the company will soon reveal the details on where and how players can link up via these hotspots. Nintendo will also use the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for its next generation Revolution console when it ships sometime in 2006.

Mario Kart DS and Tony Hawk's American Sk8land will ship on November 14th to kick off the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection in the US. Mario Kart DS will support four player over the internet; racers can pick opponents from their roster of friends, match up randomly against strangers of comparable skill levels or simply choose to race against anyone in the world. American Sk8land will feature head-to-head play, enabling players to create custom art for boards and tags as well as track high scores and stats.

Animal Crossing: Wild World will launch on December 5th. Players can travel to other players' towns or invite up to three other players to visit their own towns, simply by opening the town gate. The four players then can interact and play together simultaneously in one town. Players must know one another and register to their respective friend rosters before they can connect.

Metroid Prime Hunters, the long-in-development first person shooter for the DS, will ship in the first quarter of 2006. The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service will enable players to link up with like-skilled opponents all over the world.

Nintendo has taken the online video gaming model and rewritten the definition of community," said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales & marketing. "With easy setup and no added service fees, players far and wide will log in and play with one another as easily as if they were sitting in the same room."

This is good news, being a college guy. We are among the top ten wired campuses in the country, but we don't have wireless in our rooms. Only in our lobbies. I can just plug this into the thinkpad they issue us and install the drivers, and I'm ready to go. Most pumped.

Posted by Boner

This is good news. I can't wait to try this thing out.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yeah, I'm pretty excited, as well. Let's hope that the DS gets some new, better games now.

Posted by Drewboy64

Yeah, I saw this article. That USB thing looks really easy to use. I have my wireless router set up, although I may buy one at some point in time, just in case.

Posted by Arczu

Yes, yes... this is looking good.

Mario Kart online is going to be fun as hell! I'm gonna save up now.

*Sets aside $30*

Posted by VicE

Awesome, ACWW comes out the day before my birthday.

Posted by veritas

Nintendo RAWKS in my opinion. Their games are for EVERYONE

I find your lack of faith disturbing... - Speedy

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Badass. Even though I have a wireless router, I'm still getting the USB thing. God knows I need something to do at my dad's house.

Posted by Klarth

No trolling. - Speedy

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

I'm so excited...I'm gonna p!ss my pants! :D

g0d, I can't wait.

Posted by ExoXile

The h-e-ll with the wireless router, im getting one of these honeys :)

Posted by crelda

i have no USB ports free and im not getting a wireless routerso i cant join in the wirelessness boohoo for me...

Posted by ExoXile

You can connect the thing at the moment you play online with the DS.
No one said you have to be connected ALL the time.

Posted by Azusa

Looks nifty.

Posted by Drewboy64

Yeah, I will probably buy one later on. It seems reaaally easy to use. Yum...

Posted by Luigi182

Hmmm, very interesting. I wonder if one would do the same for the Revolution...

Posted by Drewboy64

Thats exactly what i was just thinking. And I hope so, so I can play online SSB at my wireless routerless friends' houses.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Yes I am also most anxious for this release. Good thing I have a wireless router in my hosue too. I just hope Nintendo does a good job with the new online titles they will be coming out with.

Quoted post: Hmmm, very interesting. I wonder if one would do the same for the Revolution...

Probably. They aren't going to exclude those without a wireless router, right?

Posted by thelaststand

are there any certain dates set yet, or r we still just hoping?

Posted by Apathetic

online metriod, mmm! oh and i thought the date was nov 15, its probably stated briefly in his post.

Quoted post: are there any certain dates set yet, or r we still just hoping?

For what? Wifi? If so, it will launch with Mario Kart I believe. So November seventh I think. Sometime around then anyways.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting crelda: i have no USB ports free and im not getting a wireless routerso i cant join in the wirelessness boohoo for me...

No one cares about you :D

lol...just kidding.....................but seriously....:D

Posted by Apathetic

Then you can buy some extension for more usb ports. :P

Posted by Drewboy64

Mario Kart = November 14.
crelda should really get a wireless router or a computer with USB ports.

Ugh, i wnat Mario Kart and metroid and animal crossing.

Does anyone know anything about chatting online (headsets - whatabout that headset port on the DS) or Pictochat online?

Posted by Eludiac

u know what im thinkin?....ssb on the ds! that be the bombest man. im crossing my fingies already

Posted by The Ripley

Beautiful. Its so good, I cant even talk that good now. Notice my dialogue seems rather flat. I cannot wait. nov 14, find me around in your ds, I'll take ya'll on!

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Eludiac: u know what im thinkin?....ssb on the ds! that be the bombest man. im crossing my fingies already

Dude, who isn't thinking SSB online for the DS? Right now I've got Jump Superstars to satisfy me, though. But there's only 15 days left till Mario Kart comes out :spooge: And then next year comes METROID PRIME HUNTERS!

I hope there's downloadable content for the DS; like maybe new levels for Metroid or different Karts for Mario Kart, although I don't think they would.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Drewboy64: Dude, who isn't thinking SSB online for the DS? Right now I've got Jump Superstars to satisfy me, though. But there's only 15 days left till Mario Kart comes out :spooge: And then next year comes METROID PRIME HUNTERS!

I hope there's downloadable content for the DS; like maybe new levels for Metroid or different Karts for Mario Kart, although I don't think they would.

Having online SSb for Ds is dumb. Thats one of the selling poitns for Revo so why use it now?

There won't be downloadable levels and stuff. No way to store it. The closest thing is stuff you can buy on an expansion cartridge in GBA cart form.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Quoting Bebop: Having online SSb for Ds is dumb. Thats one of the selling poitns for Revo so why use it now?

Agreed.

I may just get Mario Kart upon release. I'm excited to use the wireless capabilities.

Quoted post: I may just get Mario Kart upon release. I'm excited to use the wireless capabilities.

WE SHALL DUEL!

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Vampiro: WE SHALL DUEL!

As shall we, the 25th november! ->(EU release date :()

Posted by Drewboy64

duel on the dual screen, omg a pun.

Yeah, there's only 13 more days left......

Posted by Seres Aran

Um... I'm kinda' slow when it comes to these things... so can someone explain it to me? What is a USB port? And what is a router/ what does it do? All I have is a computer and a dial-up connection, so I don't know much about connectivity. If the answers to these questions are so obvious it's annyoing, then you all can beat me with a feather.

USB port looks like this: http://pix.crutchfield.com/kb/USB_Jack.jpg

It should be on the back of your computer near the bottom. It will have that symbol above or bellow the actual port. Also, your computer may have a couple on the front. Those should be easy to identify. You use it to connect to tons of different devices. For example, the "jump drive" Nintendo is making. It plugs into your USB port and basically piggy-backs off of your internet connection.

As for a router. Just do a search on one. It basically allows you to connect multiple computers to one modem. Wireless routers are, well, wireless. They send out a signal that your computer (connectors) pick up on. The DS will work this way. But instead of the signal going to the computer, your DS will pick it up. Thus, online.

Posted by Drewboy64

Man, the USB router is gonna be so easy to use!
and there's only nine days left!!...

8==Days left!

Posted by Shade

It's at times like these where I'm reminded how much the last Mario Kart for handheld, unfortunately, completely sucked. And I still want Castlevania...but Animal Crossing will be in my DS the day of release, can't wait for that.

I wish there was a thing you could plug into your DS to enable online play, so I can play on the move. Or on the Chicago trip to which my friend isn't going.

Posted by Drewboy64

[URL="http://www.nintendowifi.com/global/index.jsp"]http://www.nintendowifi.com/global/index.jsp[/URL]

[URL="http://www.nintendowifi.com"]Wifi official site[/URL] Press refresh until a different page shows up; I guess that's the finished page. Weird.

The site seems to work, butr sometimes when you click on a link it gives you a 404. Just refresh a few times until the real page shows up.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah, the site isn't actually up yet.

Posted by Drewboy64

It's partly up. I got the main page to fully load, but it doesn't always appear.

Posted by Apathetic

I got confused with the Euro release date. Now Im missing out. :(