Irregular Hunter X & RockMan RockMan - MMX and MM1 revamped for PSP?!

Posted by Minesweeper

[quote][SIZE="3"]TGS 2005: Irregular Hunter X Hands-On[/SIZE]
Capcom remakes the Mega Man X series on the PSP.

TOKYO--One of the many games on display at Capcom's booth at the Tokyo Game Show this year is Irregular Hunter X, a remake of the original Mega Man X that was released for the Super Nintendo. The game features a polygonal makeover for Mega Man as well as a new coat of paint on the foes he'll tangle with. We tried out the game and even downloaded a playable demo of it to see how the classic adventure holds up.

The work-in-progress version of the game on display in the booth let us try out a sampling of the platforming action and a boss battle. The gameplay is as rock solid as it was on the SNES and works quite well on the PSP. One of the big twists to the X games were Mega Man's enhanced abilities, such as being able to briefly cling to the side of a wall, which made for more complicated platforming.

The visuals in the game are a noticeable cut above the sprites seen in the 16-bit original. Mega Man X is now a shapely polygon that looks good, although he seems to have lost a bit of his personality in the transition. The enemies you face actually fare better from the makeover, as they all feature unique animation. The environments themselves have been beefed up to include nice ambient touches such as snow and mist in the ice stages. The audio sounds fine and retains the peppy tunes we know and love from the series. The sound effects are also on point, with the effects for X's mega buster featuring that familiar whine as it charges.

Based on what we played, Irregular Hunter X is shaping up to be a solid title for the PSP. Although the game doesn't feature the awesome extra of a level editor as seen in Rockman Rockman (the PSP remake of the original NES Mega Man also on display in Capcom's booth), there is still a nice surprise in the game. In addition to playing Mega Man you'll eventually have the opportunity to play as Vile, a well-known foe in the X series. Irregular Hunter X is slated to ship this fall for the PSP in Japan with a US release to follow.

By Ricardo Torres
[SIZE="1"]Posted Sep 17, 2005 7:34 pm PT
[url=http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/irregularhunterx/news.html?sid=6133776]Source.[/url][/size]

[quote]
Blue Bomber blasting onto PSP
First installments of Mega Man, Mega Man X series being remade for Sony's portable.

Capcom has been going back to its roots a lot lately. The storied publisher is redoing the original Resident Evil for the Nintendo DS, readying the retro compilation Capcom Classics Collection for release later this month, and remaking the first games in its two most popular RockMan series (Mega Man and Mega Man X to American audiences) for the PSP, according to the latest issue of Famitsu.

This isn't the first news of a RockMan RockMan game for the PSP, but it's the first detailed explanation of the title, which is actually a remake of the original 1987 NES release that started the series. The game features familiar (albeit noticeably cuter) graphics redrawn with 3D polygons, but the gameplay has stayed strictly 2D. RockMan RockMan also has a stage edit mode, where players can create their own missions and trade them with their friends. No release date has been set for the game yet.

The second title, Irregular Hunter X, is a remake of the SNES game Mega Man X from 1993. The game features visuals redrawn in 3D like in RockMan RockMan, but the characters here have a more mature look to them. In addition, the game features arranged stages and new modes. Irregular Hunter X is slated for release in Japan in winter 2005.

Both RockMan RockMan and Irregular Hunter X will be on playable display at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show. Visitors will be able to download a demo of RockMan RockMan if they bring their PSP to the show.

By Staff
Posted Sep 7, 2005 3:16 pm PT
[url=http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/irregularhunterx/news.html?sid=6132701]Source.[/url]

(EDIT:: Images removed)

I watched the trailer, and what they showed looked pretty true to the original, but my info is limited. (I'll also admit to not knowing anything about the PSP. ^^;; ) It'd probably end up as something along the lines of Maverick Hunter X o'er here, of course.

So, whaddya think? Does anyone else have more info on it?

Posted by Stalolin

Woah, gotta get me a PSP.

Oh and they're also doing a Megaman version featuring the first Megaman game even though that's mentioned in the article.

I'd go buy a PSP just for this.

Posted by Minesweeper

Me, too. XD

I think the revamped Rockman one is mentioned there, called "RockMan RockMan". ^^;

EDIT: OMG, I just found screens from RockMan RockMan. XD

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/LovelyConcerto/psp411_com-product-700-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/LovelyConcerto/psp411_com-product-700-2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/LovelyConcerto/psp411_com-product-700-5.jpg[/IMG]
CUTMAN! <3

They're so SD, though. Cute, but kinda weird-looking. ^^;;

Posted by Klarth

I'll consider getting this, I guess... I'm getting a PSP in two weeks or something, so once I get a feel for the system I'll make up my mind.

And I love the art style of Rockman Rockman. Ns.

Posted by Linko_16

I haven't trusted 2-1/2 D Mega Man games since the atrocity that was Network Transmission, but I'd be excited to at least try it... if it wasn't for the ****ed PSP. Curse you, PSP, for being more expensive than you're worth!!

And curse you, photobucket, for being down right now and not showing ZS's Cut Man screenshot!!

EDIT - Look what I found: [url=mms://zdmedia.wmod.llnwd.net/a111/o1/1UP/rockmanrockman_df_tgs05_trailer_148k.wmv]RockMan RockMan Trailer[/url]

This does look really cool, especially the level editor. You'll never find a bigger Mega Man 1 enthusiast than me, and I'm really excited.

CURSE YOU, CAPCOM!! WHY JUST PSP??

Posted by Minesweeper

It looks AWESOME. ^(^^)^ I saw Iceman there and just about died, he's extra cute in that style. <3

That level editor looks like a lot of fun, too. Hafta keep an eye on this one. :)

Posted by Pit

Quoting Linko_16: I haven't trusted 2-1/2 D Mega Man games since the atrocity that was Network Transmission, but I'd be excited to at least try it... if it wasn't for the ****ed PSP. Curse you, PSP, for being more expensive than you're worth!!

And curse you, photobucket, for being down right now and not showing ZS's Cut Man screenshot!!

EDIT - Look what I found: [url=mms://zdmedia.wmod.llnwd.net/a111/o1/1UP/rockmanrockman_df_tgs05_trailer_148k.wmv]RockMan RockMan Trailer[/url]

This does look really cool, especially the level editor. You'll never find a bigger Mega Man 1 enthusiast than me, and I'm really excited.

CURSE YOU, CAPCOM!! WHY JUST PSP??

2 1/2 has nothing to do with it.

It's the same exact engine as the original Megaman and vice versa for Megaman X. It's just a look. Hands on even said it played like the original games.

Posted by Zeta

Remakes of MM and MMX exclusively for PSP? Capcom never fails at dissapointing me.

I want to fight Powerpuffified Robot Masters :( But I'm not shelling out $250 just so I can.

Posted by Arczu

I noticed that they recycled a lot of the sound effects from X8. They should have just upped the original ones. They even put that "WARNING, a boss in coming" screen that we saw since X4. Hmm...

X does look a bit wired, but if anything, his armor will look even better. I relly am interested in this game.

Posted by gundelhell_wielder

go to [url]www.capcom.co.jp/psp_x[/url] the've already put information of irregular hunter x in there(in japanese....duh)and fotos.

Posted by Minesweeper

Ooh! Updated art! I lurve the updated art. Very pwetty. :3 I would "Ooh!" about the cutscenes but I knew about them already. ^^;

ZOMG. Is that remix of the ruined highway theme actually in the game?! *dies of joy* X3

And OMG. OMGOMGOMG. Am I seeing those screenshots correctly? Is that... Vava? Is that... Vava under the player's control?! YOU CAN PLAY AS VAVA!?! *squeals and dies again* X3

Posted by Klarth

so, uh, I take it Zerostar's been converted to the PSP now?

If you get one with 2.00 firmware, you can run NES and SNES emulators on it - ie; you can play the originals AND the remakes on it. :D

OMG.I downloaded a video of irregular hunter and if the game is like in the video showed,ill buy it for sure.The video that I saw contained,like some anime parts and parts of the game.At the end of the video you see DR.light saying " my name is thomas light,I am the reasersher that desined and built megaman x"when that ended,I almost got blind,blinded with happyness!!!anyways,now I think we can know more about the creation and reason that megaman x was created. AND yes you can play with vava.

Posted by Minesweeper

Quoting Klarth]so, uh, I take it Zerostar's been converted to the PSP now?

If you get one with 2.00 firmware, you can run NES and SNES emulators on it - ie: [/color]D

Mebbe just a little. =^^=

*makes a note* [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/LovelyConcerto/Smilies3/icon_ninja.gif[/IMG]

[quote=gundelhell_wielder]AND yes you can play with vava.
*squeals with joy and dies again* X3

Posted by Minesweeper

Apologies for the double-post, but you can find music from Irregular Hunter X (aka Maverick Hunter X) as well as a few from Rockman Rockman (aka Mega Man Powered Up) [url=http://megaman.retrofaction.com/?page_id=83]here[/url], if you're curious.

Posted by Zeta

[quote=Some dude on GameFAQs]OK, played with Vile a bit more and he has a whole ton of weapons... instead of flicking between them like X you choose your config before going into the mission, and instead of just upgrading life you upgrade your weapon capacity, so you can put together a better weapon set for a level. Think minicons in the Transformers ps2 game.
I love the names though. Even though one particular knee bomb weapon kinda sucks, I feel I have to use it since it's the 'Peace Out Roller'. Every time I kill an enemy I feel my fingers wanting to twist into a V sign...
The other weapons I have so far are;

-Arm Weapons-
-Shot Style-
Cherry Blast
Backshot Dance
Distance Needler
Triple Seven
-Missile Style-
Humorous Crash
Popcorn Demon
Banzai Beetle
Rostrum
Serotinal Bullet (?)
-Fires Entire Arm Style-
Go-Getter Light
Spoiled Brat
Egoistic Pill
Golden Light
Infinity Gig

-Shoulder Cannon-
-Shot Style-
Front Runner
Trident Rain
Fat Boy
Fire Marlin (Firema Rain?)
Longshot Gizmo
-Laser Cannon Style-
Cerberus Phantom
Nervous Ghost
Rising Spectre
Straight Nightmare
Necro Burst
-Projectile Blade Style-
Metal Crescent
Quick Homesick
Parasite Sword
Two Heads Rush
Marooned Tomahawk

-Knee Bomb-
-Bomb Style-
Bumpity Boom
Rambling Bam
Splash Hit
Territorial Pow
Bannaway Bomb (?)
-Arcing Shot Style-
Dead Star Hag (?)
Peace Out Roller
Sword Bouquet
Hot Icicle
Stubborn Crawler
-Napalm Style-
Wild Horse Kick
Dragon's Words
Green Eyed Ramp
Sea Dragon's Rage
Burning Drive

plus, 'Frozen Castle' as an Armour Powerup and 'Speed Devil' as a Speed powerup. Where I've put (?) it shows that I don't really get what the katakana was going for. Also, the style names aren't official, in fact the different styles aren't even named in Japanese, they just have a little icon (a flame, a laser etc). I just made those up to make reading the list easier.

0_o Those are some wierd names...'Popcorn Demon' lol.

Posted by Minesweeper

Spoiled Brat? Fat Boy? WAHAHA, Bumpity Boom! XD Some of the names are pretty cool, though. ^^

BTW, the music's alright. Not fantastic, but pretty good. It should be fine to play to. ^^;

Posted by brownoystercult

Got my copy from Japan yesterday. Loads of fun.

Also saw Kingdom Hearts II and was really tempted to buy it. :)

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Roinkz]Got my copy from Japan yesterday. Loads of fun.

Also saw Kingdom Hearts II and was really tempted to buy it. :)

mail to me now or I'm killing your dog.

poor dog... anyways has somebody have the idea of when it ships to north america?

Posted by Minesweeper

01-17-2006, according to Capcom's site. (That'd be January 17th.) 01-10-2006 (January 10th) for both versions of MegaMan X Collection, 3-14-2006 (March 13th) for MegaMan Powered Up. The last time the dates were updated was 12-14-05 (December 14th).

Posted by Zeta

So 6 more days 'til X Collection, then I can finally destroy Slash Beast and laugh at X4's voice acting...

"WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!?"

I know there's a ytmnd file for that somewhere...

Well Minesweeper no marverick hunter till,January 30 ,well thats what I readed. It said that capcom changed the date to January 30 ,I don't know if its true but ill just have to call gamestop and ask for the relase date.:metool:

Capcom of America now has pre-order pages up for both Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X and Mega Man: Powered Up. The release date for Maverick Hunter X is set back to January 31st and Powered Up is set for a March 14th release.

now check this out. (look at the inflatable megaman.cuteeeeee!)

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060116/whf21.jpg

Posted by Klarth

It's out and it requires firmware 2.50.

**** this, I'm not getting it. :/

I have good news:
Marevick hunter X has a demo for Megaman powered up
(it has the new cut man stage and the old cut man stage)
It has movies(like a full episodes)The day of E.
Im playing as vile and the music changes(its like heavy metal for Vile and techno for X)

Does anybody know if you can play with Zero? Cause im starting to think that you can't.

Posted by Zeta

No Zero, sry.

I'm curious as to who the extra playable characters in MHX2-6 will be. My vote goes to Dragoon for MHX4.

But...will there be a next Marevick Hunter for the psp ?

Quoted post: Originally Posted by Zeta
My vote goes to Dragoon for MHX4.

My vote goes to Dragoon to.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Zeta]No Zero, sry.

I'm curious as to who the extra playable characters in MHX2-6 will be. My vote goes to Dragoon for MHX4.

Well, considering they used Vile, who's a villian, then I figure they can pull from the villians in the game.

X2 - One of the X Hunters, Agile, Serges, or Violen

X3 - Bit, Byte, or Vile V2.

X4 - Colonel, Iris, Double, or Dragoon.

X5 - Dynamo.

X6 - High Max, Gate, or Dynamo.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Stalolin: X6 - High Max, Gate, or Dynamo.

Invincibility and flight? Win.