Encyclopedia Guidelines

Posted by Klarth

Righty, I thought that now that we have a board for this and such, there should be a set of rules as to how articles should look.

1 - Don't flame excessively. Honestly, you wouldn't feel good if someone made an article about you calling you a douchebag and a cockbiter. Yeah, well, Sean Fury has an article like that already, but he doesn't come 'round here anymore. If he did, he'd be perfectly at liberty to change things. If a flame/offensive entry does crop up, edit it out yourself. It's best to write articles that are as unbiased as possible.

2 - Don't write articles in the first person. If you're reading an article full of "I saw him post pr0n seven times" with no indication of who wrote it, what conclusion are you going to come to? Only refer to yourself in the first person if you're writing some kind of personal account / testimony to go along with the article, and even then make sure you attach your username to it. (Remember, you shouldn't lie - it's simple to figure out who's written what.) Besides, take a look at [url=www.wikipedia.org]Wikipedia[/url] - Not a single article full of "I think"s or anything to that measure. Same goes for any bookshelf encyclopedia. The editors don't give their opinions on the laws of physics, now, do they?

3 - Malicious Use. It's rude to lay waste to someone's entry that they've spent hours slaving over. Now, any competent Wiki user can figure out who's ruined their entry, so don't think you can get away with it. Even if you don't have an account registered on the encyclopedia, chances are that your IP address will be logged on VGC. You've been warned.

4 - Post when you've made major changes. Fixing typos and factual inaccuracies in other members' entries is perfectly helpful, and you shouldn't really feel the need to tell people you've done so. However, if you're adding a new page or something, it's probably a good idea to post it in the [url=http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=8591]"changes" thread[/url].

Anybody can add to this list. A copy should probably be put on the encyclopedia itself (hai jesse!).

Posted by Jesse Smith

Another rule. NO POSTING ANYTHING THAT'S COPYRIGHTED. That includes images!!!!

For a GREAT example of how to post, look at [url=http://www.vgchat.com/Encyclopedia/Skitzo_Control]Skitze Control's page.[/url] THAT is how to post!!!!

Wike does keep track of IPs and stuff. And when there is abuse, pages can be reverted to an older version. And of course I can easily ban people and IPs.

Posted by Fate

I can already see some people abusing this. Should I report it or what?

(Max Mouse, MetalVox, Sean Fury, etc.)

Posted by Jesse Smith

http://www.vgchat.com/Encyclopedia/Jesse_Smith

At the top of the page, do you see a 'history' link??

You should be able to go there and revert the page back to the older version. So we don't need to worry too much about this.

Posted by Klarth

It'll all be good if people are responsible with this.

Posted by Porcupine

I'm sure a note like "written by (username)" at the bottom wouldn't hurt.

Posted by Klarth

It's easy to check just by looking in the history. And even if they haven't made an account on the Wiki, we can look up IPs here.