DoA4 to add Halo character

Posted by Zyne

Apparently Team Ninja has decided to add a Halo character to it's line up of fighters in the upcoming Dead or Alive 4 for the 360. This news was released by Game Informer and you can read more about it at:
http://bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=doaversushalo&p=4949519

If this is true, I can only wonder as to who they will decide to put in, My best bet it will be a more solid form of Cortana or maybe Keyes.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Dumb.

Anything Halo has no place in the DOA world.

Posted by Zyne

I must say it's a bit strange putting a FPS character in a fighting game.Tomonobu Itagaki, head of Team Ninja, usually has very private and select way of doing things, and this is very unlike him.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Vampiro]Dumb.

Yes, because a game filled with warriors combating each other has nothing to do with a game with warriors... combating... eachother?

Posted by Lord of Spam

That is the most retarded thing I have ever read. Yes, they are both combat games, but it still doesnt really make sense. A counter terrorist from CS has no place in Everquest, even though they are both mulitplayer online combat based games. The same goes for Halo/DOA.

And if you want to get technical, they dont realyl share a genre. DOA is a fighter, Halo an FPS (or pos, depending on who you ask). They dont really lend well to each other. Also, it jsut doesnt seem like any Halo character belongs in the world of DOA. Doa isnt some futuristic game, if anything, it was older based.

Posted by muffla

this might be worse than putting mario in street basket ball v3 (for gc of corse)

Posted by Pit

Quoting Lord of Spam: That is the most retarded thing I have ever read. Yes, they are both combat games, but it still doesnt really make sense. A counter terrorist from CS has no place in Everquest, even though they are both mulitplayer online combat based games. The same goes for Halo/DOA.

And if you want to get technical, they dont realyl share a genre. DOA is a fighter, Halo an FPS (or pos, depending on who you ask). They dont really lend well to each other. Also, it jsut doesnt seem like any Halo character belongs in the world of DOA. Doa isnt some futuristic game, if anything, it was older based.

Anyone can get technical with what you've given.

Take a look at Super Smash Bros. Every character in the game hardly share a similar genre, yet, they managed to make a fighting game out of that. Mario, platofrmer, Zelda, Action RPG, Starfox, shooter... how does that fit in? It doesn't.

You know, in fighting games, the main focus was never the story, as it was just a filler. I can couldn't care less in what time period these guys are fighting, because frankly, it doesn't matter. I mean, a Ninja fighting a wrestler in the desert, yeah, DoA so far makes a LOT of sense with it's current character line up, because adding Halo characters will now lower the overall fun factor of the game!

Quoted post: Yes, because a game filled with warriors combating each other has nothing to do with a game with warriors... combating... eachother?

Uh, there's a huge difference between characters like Ryu and Master Chief.

Quoted post:
Take a look at Super Smash Bros. Every character in the game hardly share a similar genre, yet, they managed to make a fighting game out of that. Mario, platofrmer, Zelda, Action RPG, Starfox, shooter... how does that fit in? It doesn't.

If it was setup as a SSB style game, maybe it would work. That game is meant to be fun, not using the typical fighter mechanic, so you could easily use any character and it would turn out fine.

But this is a full 3D game. I just don't see how Halo correlates with DoA AT ALL. In a game where technical, smooth fighting mechanics is key, where characters are based solely on their fighting ability, it just seems odd to toss in a character that can only jab with a sword, pistol-whip, and shoot a gun.

Whatever.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Vampiro: If it was setup as a SSB style game, maybe it would work. That game is meant to be fun, not using the typical fighter mechanic, so you could easily use any character and it would turn out fine.

But this is a full 3D game. I just don't see how Halo correlates with DoA AT ALL. In a game where technical, smooth fighting mechanics is key, where characters are based solely on their fighting ability, it just seems odd to toss in a character that can only jab with a sword, pistol-whip, and shoot a gun.

Quoted for great justice.

Posted by Random

Meh I can't say it's all that bad of an idea. Namco did it with Soul Caliber. They added Link, Spawn, and Heihachi in the game. Not only does Heihachi nor Link or for that matter spawn really belong in those games, it made it somewhat interesting to see. I mean Halo is a completely different game all together but it'd still be kinda neat. I'm just curious as to which character. Personally I'd rather them not make it a human character, and maybe put a beasty elite or something in with a sword. Make it somewhat decent.

Quoted post: Meh I can't say it's all that bad of an idea. Namco did it with Soul Caliber. They added Link, Spawn, and Heihachi in the game. Not only does Heihachi nor Link or for that matter spawn really belong in those games, it made it somewhat interesting to see.

At least Link and Heihachi fit into the whole "fighing" theme.

Posted by Random

True but Heihachi didn't even have a weapon so it sorta made him out of place. Halo isn't even in the same category of a gametype as DOA is but it'll be different. I can't say it'll be a bad idea til I try it. Yes thats it.. I'll use my excuse for the Revolution controller to fit with this. I won't complain about it til I try it out and see if I like it or not.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Vampiro:

Whatever.

Thus, they add moves, such as grapples, extended comboes, etc.

I mean, take Link for instance in Soul calibur II. Sure, maybe he somewhat fit to the theme of the game, but when it came down right to it, he was out of place, taking the genre difference, etc. They managed to give him new moves, grapples, and bring old moves to flow perfectly.

All I'm saying is that the game is not going to be ruined or any of it's value is going to be taken away just because they decide to add Halo characters in.

Posted by Zyne

Watch it not be that big of a deal when DoA4 is finally released. First thing that springs to most peoples minds when they hear of a halo character are: FPS, guns, Covenant, master chief, etc, and they think that thats how the character is going to be. I foresee something like Sergeant Johnson in casual military wear brawling or something along those lines.

Quoted post: Thus, they add moves, such as grapples, extended comboes, etc.

I mean, take Link for instance in Soul calibur II. Sure, maybe he somewhat fit to the theme of the game, but when it came down right to it, he was out of place, taking the genre difference, etc. They managed to give him new moves, grapples, and bring old moves to flow perfectly.

Link FIT though. He's a fighter. He had moves that they could use. And MC, for example, hasn't shown even a hint that he can fight. Sure he can probably punch or kick or throw, but when it comes down to it, there isn't any other character out there that would be more out of place.

Of course, we don't even know who the character will be, but it's not like any of them fit whatsoever.

Quoted post: ll I'm saying is that the game is not going to be ruined or any of it's value is going to be taken away just because they decide to add Halo characters in.

I don't believe I ever said that. I just don't think Halo should be incorporated into DoA. It's my opinion, and I doubt I will change it until i actually get to play it.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Halo + DoA is a great idea! If you're the one selling it to millions of little Halo 2 kids. :)

Posted by Skitzo Control

Suggestion: Sam Fisher and Solid Snake in a fighting game. Considering they both have extensive background in hand-to-hand combat, it'd be interesting to see.

Posted by The Punisher

Yes, and sam fisher would try to crawl around and silently kill his enemey... three feet away from him.

Posted by ZEN

Since it's a Tecmo game, they should add Rygar (disc armor and all). Have him go head-to-head with Ryu (equipped with the Vigoorian Flail). Yes I know 'Dead or Alive' doesn't have "weapons-based combat" but perhaps that's something that needs to be changed.

Weapons-based is the only way I can see a 'Halo' character fitting in to a fighting game. I don't mean "long range/gun type weapons" but "close encounter/melee" ones. They could use that laser sword thingy or whatever.
That might work.

Posted by Zyne

Quoting ZEN: Weapons-based is the only way I can see a 'Halo' character fitting in to a fighting game. I don't mean "long range/gun type weapons" but "close encounter/melee" ones. They could use that laser sword thingy or whatever.
That might work.

No, no it would not. We are talking about DoA, not Soul Calibur or Mortal Kombat.

Posted by Klarth

Think of it this way: Super Mario Bros. consisted of "jump on things to kill them." Mario Sunshine = throw all manner of things at your foes, squirt them with a high-powered water gun.

And if anybody pulls the "omg different genre!!!" analogy, I'm going to eat their dog.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=Vampiro]Uh, there's a huge difference between characters like Ryu and Master Chief.

Alien vs. Predator. :cool:

edit: yeah I know it doesn't work. :cool2:

Dude if master chief is in it I'll buy it for sure guys.

Quoted post: Alien vs. Predator.

edit: yeah I know it doesn't work.

I typed out, like, twelve paragraphs before noticing that edit.

Posted by Neox

Dead Or Alive? Plus Halo? Umm.. I think that's kind of gay.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/545/545798/imgs_1.html

[IMG]http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/660/660569/dead-or-alive-4-20051021052813612.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/660/660569/dead-or-alive-4-20051021052821237.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/660/660569/dead-or-alive-4-20051021052814378.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Ant

Quoting Neox: Dead Or Alive? Plus Halo? Umm.. I think that's kind of gay.

I'm thinking the 2nd best game ever guys! It won't be as good as Halo 3 because that will be the best game ever but if DOA4 has a Halo character in it then it will make it the 2nd best game ever because Halo is the best game series ever made and every game should have a halo character in it or it's ****ING ****!

Posted by Ghost_Sniper

Quoting Vampiro: Dumb.

I do agree nothin to do with halo has any place in the DOA world i mean it seems like they will do anything now to games.
(g1)(g2)(g3)

Posted by Random

LOL I CANT BELIEVE ITS MC!!! Thats just retarded... I mean the Black Sgt or Captain Keys or whatever wouldn't be bad, but a Spartan with heavy armor that can withold bullets in a fighting game doesn't seem plausable at all.

Posted by IIMrBrightsidexX

LOL AND WHAT MAKS IT WORSE... THE SPARTANS A FEMALE... THO not to be a sexist there should be a male and female version!

Pff, everyone knows female characters always have to dress provocatively.

Spartans are no exception.

Posted by boomstick

Oh, man that looks SO in place with in DOA.

Posted by Exalbaru

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]:chainsaw: [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR][/FONT]I know what you did last summer.:chainsaw:

Posted by Exalbaru

They were all trained equally, and proved their strength & vallor. Plus Linda & Kelly are as far as we know, still alive+last time I checked, they would either wear Mach 5 or 6 armor. A girl doesn't have to dress skimppy to be attractive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Don Corleone

Hmmm......... Two great games, hate to spoil either