Ultimate Spiderman

Posted by KoH

Alright... I am a HUGE spiderman fan. I mean, REALLY huge spiderman fan and also of the new Ultimate Spiderman comics... So I just got Ultimate Spiderman for Xbox. And I have to say... Gaaaawd.... THANK YOU. I love the ability to go around the city and the new style of spidey is also great.

So... seriously... what do you guys think of it? And be honest. This thread wasn't meant to be a review... just a vent on how much I love this game so far. Hope it isn't as short as Spiderman 2 was.

Edit::: Um... later in the game... you can go to the actual city right? You know... not just Queens... but Manhatten... yeah? Anyone?

Edit upon edit::: YES. I'M THERE. W00T. FORGET MY QUESTION.

Posted by boomstick

I play on renting, but I've heard alot of the Venom levels are very disappointing.

Posted by Random

Eh.. didn't they have the cartoon called "Ultimate Spiderman" ??? I thought it kinda sucked compared to the other Spiderman cartoons/comics.

I doubt i'll even rent the game unless I hear "amazing" reports from it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Eh.. didn't they have the cartoon called "Ultimate Spiderman" ??? I thought it kinda sucked compared to the other Spiderman cartoons/comics

If I recall what you're talking about (where his costume is nanobots or whatever), it has nothing to do with the game or comic.

Posted by Random

Quoting Vampiro: If I recall what you're talking about (where his costume is nanobots or whatever), it has nothing to do with the game or comic.

Ah.. I see. Still it's a Spiderman game. I rather have friends try it out or try it out at work before I rent/buy it.

Don't get me wrong.. I love Spidermand, just not the recent Spiderman games.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Eh.. didn't they have the cartoon called "Ultimate Spiderman" ??? I thought it kinda sucked compared to the other Spiderman cartoons/comics.

I doubt i'll even rent the game unless I hear "amazing" reports from it.

That was Unlimited Spider-Man which was completely separate from the comics as Vampiro said.

Ultimate Spider-Man is based off the new Ultimate series that Marvel is doing with their characters.

Quoted post: That was Unlimited Spider-Man which was completely separate from the comics as Vampiro said.

That's the name! Man, was that one hell of a horrible show.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Vampiro: That's the name! Man, was that one hell of a horrible show.

I don't even remember what it was about, something about Spider-Man on some other planet doing something about something.

I don't blame you for not remembering. I think it there was only three or five episodes, then Digimon replaced it.

Though it took place on "counter earth". And yeah, I don't anyone knew what Spider-man was actually doing, what with there being such a short amount of time for it to get the story started.

Posted by Big Boss

Being a huge Spidey fan, I was looking at this game with great anticipation. I've read every single Ultimate Spider-Man comic book (except this year's Annual), so I knew where the story would pick up from. Sadly, while I was very excited at first, the game is just too ridiculously short. It ended as quickly as it began. It was short and sweet, but I can't help but wonder what it could've been.

Other than collecting items like hidden icons, landmarks and comic book covers, and repetitive rescue missions, there's absolutely nothing to do in the city once the story is over with. You can switch to Venom and wreak havoc in the city, causing a GTA-like meter to build up that causes the authority to go after you. Sadly, the comparisons with GTA end there, as this game doesn't use the potential of having a whole city to play with, like having other Marvel characters give you missions and such, or find secret Marvel goodies. Too bad, because swinging around is just so much fun.

AND the story missions themselves are mostly chasing/getting chased and boss battles, which are the best part of the game. It's worth a rental for non-Spidey fans, but that's about it. The unlockables make it worth owning for webheads, especially the PS2 Limited Edition.

Quoting Vampiro: Though it took place on "counter earth". And yeah, I don't anyone knew what Spider-man was actually doing, what with there being such a short amount of time for it to get the story started.

I believe it lasted just three episodes, and if I'm not mistaken it was inspired by the Marvel 2099 series of comics going on at the time. While Unlimited sucked, the guy who voiced Spider-Man was perfect for the role, and you can see how good he is by playing the two Spidey games for the PlayStation.

Posted by brownoystercult

Was Unlimited Spider-Man, the one that they showed on MTV? If so, I believe there were two seasons on it.

Quoted post: Was Unlimited Spider-Man, the one that they showed on MTV? If so, I believe there were two seasons on it.

No, this was back in '99 I think. BB would probably know the right date.

The one you're thinking of is just called "Spider-man" or "Spider-man: The New Animated Series". Or some crap like that.

Posted by brownoystercult

Okay, I could've sworn that there was another Spider-Man show that was released on MTV a couple years ago..that included curse words and was for "teens" I guess.

Posted by KoH

Game blows. I beat it in 5-6 hours. But hey, it's fun to swing around though... wish you could go faster...

But yeah, Venom missions are pretty dissappointing. Pretty ****ed repetitive. And yeah, the game is nowhere near as fully developed as Spiderman 2. You can't do those stylish moves in the air... nor any sweet fighting combos. All it is is just swinging, punching, kicking, and grappling. That's... pretty... much... it.

Btw, Roinkz is right. There was a series for MTV released. Forgot the name... saw it for sale at fry's though. Dont' recall any curse words but it wouldn't surprise me considering it was an MTV release.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Roinkz: Okay, I could've sworn that there was another Spider-Man show that was released on MTV a couple years ago..that included curse words and was for "teens" I guess.

It was the CG styled one that took from the first movie story line and did have two seasons, but never got a third, I never watched it so I don't know much about it, stoy-wise.

Quoting Vampiro: The one you're thinking of is just called "Spider-man" or "Spider-man: The New Animated Series". Or some crap like that.

I actually like the early 90s Spider-Man animated series, though it was pretty different from the comic.

Posted by KoH

Oh, don't forget the Spiderman and Friends thing. Featuring the firegirl person and Iceman.

Posted by Crazy K

I want to get it for the PS2, but should I rent it or buy it. From the sounds of it, it looks like a bad game, And I do want to try something different for once besides all of them gangs/shoot em up type of games. But I think ill have to pick up a different game.

Anyways I dont think im going to get Ultimate Spider-man because I just dont see anything great about it after what you all have said. I really dont feel like waiting for WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2006. But maybe I can find a good game to buy.

Quoting KoH: Btw, Roinkz is right. There was a series for MTV released. Forgot the name... saw it for sale at fry's though. Dont' recall any curse words but it wouldn't surprise me considering it was an MTV release.

Quoting Me:
The one you're thinking of is just called "Spider-man" or "Spider-man: The New Animated Series". Or some crap like that.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Crazy K: I want to get it for the PS2, but should I rent it or buy it. From the sounds of it, it looks like a bad game, And I do want to try something different for once besides all of them gangs/shoot em up type of games. But I think ill have to pick up a different game.

Anyways I dont think im going to get Ultimate Spider-man because I just dont see anything great about it after what you all have said. I really dont feel like waiting for WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2006. But maybe I can find a good game to buy.

Make no mistake, Ultimate Spider-Man isn't a bad game by any means... it's just too short to be worth a $50 purchase, unless you really, REALLY like Spider-Man and everything about him.

And I actually have the "first season" of the MTV series, which I have yet to watch. I'm not so sure if there's truly more than one season, though.

Quoted post: I'm not so sure if there's truly more than one season, though.

Two or three, I believe.

Posted by KoH

[quote=Crazy K]I want to get it for the PS2, but should I rent it or buy it. From the sounds of it, it looks like a bad game, And I do want to try something different for once besides all of them gangs/shoot em up type of games. But I think ill have to pick up a different game.

Um... yes... mr. Boss is right.

Just rent the game, you can beat it in 5-6 hours. And swinging around the city isn't as much fun as Spiderman 2 the game was. Why? Because you can't pull crazy aerial tricks, as I said, and the combat, again as I said, is very linear.

But yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad game. It's just under-developed, hence, making a purchase of the game useless.

Oh, and here's a suggestion for a game. Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects. Looks pretty good, and considering I dislike fighting games (save a few) that "pretty good" comment shouldn't be taken lightly.

[quote=Vampiro].

Mmmyes. I found the thought worthy of double posting. BEAT THAT.

Quoted post: Mmmyes. I found the thought worthy of double posting. BEAT THAT.

You did bother to read the quotes, correct? I was just reminding you of the TV show title.

Quoted post: Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects. Looks pretty good, and considering I dislike fighting games (save a few) that "pretty good" comment shouldn't be taken lightly.

Don't bother. It's a pretty ****ty fighter and isn't worth anyone's time.

If you really want some good suggestions, go for X-men Legends 2 and Hulk: UD.

Posted by KoH

[quote=Vampiro]You did bother to read the quotes, correct? I was just reminding you of the TV show title.

Actually, not really... :( My bad. :(

[quote=Vampiro] Don't bother. It's a pretty ****ty fighter and isn't worth anyone's time.

If you really want some good suggestions, go for X-men Legends 2 and Hulk: UD.

Oh, really? It looked good... I shall rent for a day. Actually, Hulk seems like a good idea.

Posted by Crazy K

The new Hulk game actually looks good. But I think I would get tired of it after a wile. But who knows if I get good feedback on it, I might just buy it.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting KoH: Oh, and here's a suggestion for a game. Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects. Looks pretty good, and considering I dislike fighting games (save a few) that "pretty good" comment shouldn't be taken lightly.

Now THAT game is a piece of crap. I got the game for free and I still feel cheated.