Best Console War To Date

Posted by Outlaw

What was in your opinion the best console war we've seen to date? I'd have to pick the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo one (16 BIT wars). Quite possibly the greatest console war in gaming history.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Agreed. SNES vs. Genesis was the Golden Age of gaming, says I. I enjoy the current generation of games well enough, but the industry just seems polluted to me with sony as a hardware manufacturer.

Posted by Lord of Spam

PS1 vs N64. Gooooooooood times.

I think too much emphasis is placed on older systems just so people can seem "cool" for liking "old school" games.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Lord of Spam: I think too much emphasis is placed on older systems just so people can seem "cool" for liking "old school" games.

Agreed, I think people get caught up too much in the classic great games and forget that there was alot of bad crappy games then, too.

Posted by Axis

I think that N64-PS1 was a really good one.

Posted by Random

SNES-Genesis

Both the consoles had great games. I mean I bought the Genesis first and honestly I preferred the Genesis over the SNES. I'm sure most of you disagree but I mean back in the day playing Sonic, Matchbox Racing, Battletoads and Double Dragon, and Gunstar Hero's was just way fun.

The SNES had great games to. Link to the Past being my favorite SNES Game.

I spent equal amounts on both consoles. They were both truly great consoles. I played more RPG's for the SNES seeing that the Genesis had like 10.. but the Genesis I thought had better action games and I got hardcore into sonic.

Now I can see where some of you guys liked the Playstation vs N64. I didn't think it was even close in comparison. The N64 had Great games don't get me wrong. But lets see.. what N64 games did I like..?
Legend of Zelda OOT
Perfect Dark
007: Goldeneye
Mario 64

Thats about it..

Playstation 1
Monster Rancher
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
Smackdown 1-2
Jet Moto 1-2
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Metal Gear Solid
etc etc.

I mean the N64 had some great games don't get me wrong. I loved 007 and OOT a lot. I would rank them top 10 of my favorite Games of all Time. But the Playstation would have MGS, FF7, FF Tactics, Breath of Fire III in that list aswell which doubles the N64 in my personal point of view.

The current console war wasn't close but I enjoyed it.

Meh.. so I babbled on.. sorry.. :-\

How many more N64 games did you actually try than those you listed, though?

Posted by Random

Quite a few. I can't name exactly. I went N64 happy when I purchased my
N64. As I do all consoles I normally buy plentiful amount of games. I liked some other games like Command and Conquer and Resident Evil and what not but those weren't exclusive titles. I played and didn't care too much for Donkey Kong 64, or Banjo Kazooie or however you spell it. Haha now that I think about it.. didn't the N64 have like 50 games total? I mean mostly exclusives of course but meh. The N64 had a few greats but like I said.. A few..

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Prince Shondronai: How many more N64 games did you actually try than those you listed, though?

[COLOR="Yellow"]But those were like half the number of games that were released on the N64 anyways. There's not much else to try.[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=SomebodyRandom]Quite a few. I can't name exactly. I went N64 happy when I purchased my
N64. As I do all consoles I normally buy plentiful amount of games. I liked some other games like Command and Conquer and Resident Evil and what not but those weren't exclusive titles. I played and didn't care too much for Donkey Kong 64, or Banjo Kazooie or however you spell it. Haha now that I think about it.. didn't the N64 have like 50 games total? I mean mostly exclusives of course but meh. The N64 had a few greats but like I said.. A few..

Considering I own over 50 N64 games total, no. You didn't even play Perfect Dark. Lame, dude, lame.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Actually, on fact, the biggest console was was the Super Nintendo Vs. Genesis/MegaDrive one. Nintendo had Rare Ware, HAL and the other developers, trying to release as many heavy hitters as possible. There was, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, Pilotwings, StarForx, Earthbound etc. Though they had the censor, while Sega didn't really have that. Also, they had Sonic and ports of arcade games, like Space Harrier and Streets of Rage. Nintendo and Sony tired to develop as many unique games as possible to win the crowd.

The Nintendo 64 vs. Sony PlayStation vs. Dreamcast one, wasn't really a big war. Sony had all the games; Syphon Filter, Crash Bandicoot, Silent Hill etc. Publishers have released more than a 1000 games for their system in North America. What about the Nintendo 64? 200 or so games. It had it's gems though, like Ocarina of Time, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Wave Race 64, Donkey Kong etc. Dreamcast? Haha.

But in my opinion, the PSX vs. N64 vs. DC was the best, just because in the Super Nintendo times, I didn't play Sega. I hated the controller and hated most of the games.

Posted by Burrito

What about Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros, Majora's Mask, Jet Force Gemini, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Star Fox 64, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards etc.?

It doesn't matter how many games were on the N64 because quality beats quantity.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Quoting SomebodyRandom: The N64 had a few greats but like I said.. A few..

Super Mario 64
Yoshi's Story
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
007 James Bond: Goldeneye
007 James Bond: World Tomorrow
Perfect Dark
Donkey Kong 64
Donkey Kong Racing
Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Puzzle Leauge
Super Smash Brothers.
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Glover
F-Zero X
Goemon's Great Adventure
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Beetle Adventure Racing
Wave Race 64
Cruis'n Exotica
Pilotwings 64
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Killer Instinct Gold
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Chameleon Twist
Mario Kart 64
Resident Evil 2
Paper Mario
Ogre Battle 64
Quest 64
Castlevania 64
Turok 2
1080° Snowboarding
Bomberman 64
Blast Corps
Bomberman Hero
Bust-A-Move 2 Arcade Edition
Dr. Mario 64
Duke Nukem Zero Hour
Earthworm Jim 3D
GT 64: Championship Edition
Gex 64
Jet Force Gemini
Star Fox 64
Vigilante 8

Just some top off my head.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]You consider Bomberman 64 a great game? Come on man. . .[/COLOR]

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]You consider Bomberman 64 a great game? Come on man. . .[/COLOR]

That's what my post says, doesn't? I, personally, love that game. Yeah, 4.6 by GameSpot. Who cares? :mad:

Posted by Speedfreak

Bomberman 64 was pretty naff, but the multiplayer could be absolutely hilarious when you got that mini-bomber item.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Wicked Sushi: Killer Instinct Gold .

I'm not about to point out every game that shouldn't be in your list, but I'm making a note of this one. I was a huge fan of the Killer Instinct series, but the N64 port, or whatever it was, was horrendous. It did not compare in quality to the arcade originals, or even the SNES port of the first game. Gold was true fighting crap.

And Pokémon Snap was barely a game. Its more of a fan service than an actual title highlighting the best of the N64.

And Quest 64? QUEST 64!? That's one of the worst RPGs ever! What the hell?

I better stop...

Posted by Random

Quoting Big Boss]QUEST 64!? That's one of the worst RPGs ever! What the hell?

I better stop...[/color]

I completely agree. I didn't see much good in the N64 other than a few games. 007: Goldeneye was the true FPS I got into, Perfect Dark was fun, OOT was great and mario 64 had some fun points but overall I didn't think the system matched up too well with the PS1 which had a load of Exclusive titles that burried just about anything Nintendo had beneath the earths surface.

Thats just my take on it but I can name Dozens of great PS1 games.

Pokemon snap was pretty bad.. It reminds me of the recent budokai series.. You can beat it in a couple of hours.

Quest 64 and Aidyn Chronicles had very innovative battle systems that, had the entire games been finished, would have made them loads of fun. I'm still angry that H2O went under and never had the opportunity to fully explore the possibilities of that battle system, and that no new developer has tried it since. Future Tactics came close, but wasn't quite what I was looking for.

I also enjoyed the Bomberman games on N64. They had a quirky sort of feel to them that set them apart from the Mario 64 clones that ran rampant for awhile there. I also loved the Castlevania games and Shadowgate, which got horrible reviews but grabbed me with their creepy atmospheres and unique takes on the gameplay styles of their genres.

Then there's Sin & Punishment, for those of us hardcore enough to import it. Unbelievably awesome shooter. Short, but sweeter than anything the playstation or ps2, for that matter, have offered in the genre, I say.

Harvest Moon and The New Tetris are my favorite games in their respective franchises. New Tetris introduced the idea of mono-squares and truly competative multiplayer coupled with rock-solid controls and great music for the series while the playstation had "The Next Tetris" with jiggly controls, no mono-squares, and only a 2-player mode. That's right. The playstation screwed up Tetris. Harvest Moon 64 was just an all-around well balanced version of the game. Unlike the latest installments on the GAMECUBE, there's tons to do, and plenty of time to do it all in HM64.

Mischief Makers, by the good folks at Treasure, offered a very unique 2D platforming experience just when everyone thought 2D platformers were going to take a nice long nap while Mario 64 reigned. Awesome game. "Shake-shake!"

I also really got into Buck Bumble. Sort of a free-roaming Star Fox from the perspective of a dashing young bee out to save the hive from evil.

Space Station Silicon Valley offered some very cool puzzle-solving action.

Posted by Roth

I personally like the console war that's going on as we speak. I mean about the next-generation systems coming out. It should be interesting to see what pans out with this next-level of gaming. All three companies boast great consoles. I haven't heard so many things being hush hush in the gaming world ever. It should end up being cool. I just hope through all the warring going on that the companies don't try to rush developers to get games out as quickly as possible. I want quality ;)

Posted by Random

Quoting Roth: I personally like the console war that's going on as we speak. I mean about the next-generation systems coming out. It should be interesting to see what pans out with this next-level of gaming. All three companies boast great consoles. I haven't heard so many things being hush hush in the gaming world ever. It should end up being cool. I just hope through all the warring going on that the companies don't try to rush developers to get games out as quickly as possible. I want quality ;)

I agree. Even though sales didn't come out anywhere close, it opened a lot of peoples eyes to realize theres more than just Sony. I expect the next console war to be a close one. Each having Innovative idea's or games to come out, it just seems like it will be. I'm not saying Sony will lose. As much as I'd like to see Microsoft or Nintendo sit on the top of the mountain, sony has a rather large fanbase. A fanbase that seems too biased to care about anything but Sony.

I work in game retailing and I try to find out what people plan to purchase. We already have over a hundred 360's pre ordered which is amazing. Which probably 90% of that is the fully loaded systems. We don't have many pre orders for the Core for obvious reasons.

Anywho back on topic.. I myself liked this war because I was just getting ready to go out and purchase a PS2 when it was released. I had a PS1 and I felt it was far superior to the N64 and the Dreamcast never really had a long life span to find out if it was worthy of competition, so I was on the Sony Bandwagon. I was all hyped and ready to buy one. And of course I did. However not until 2 weeks after I purchased the Microsoft XBox. I bought that around launch and had Halo: CE, Fusion Frenzy, Munch's Odysee, and NFL Fever 2002. I really enjoyed those games. Plus originally GTA III was supposed to come out on the Xbox supposedly 2 months after the PS2 version which didn't happen til about a year after the PS2 version had been out. But I purchased both and picked up a GC at $150. I decided to try them out. For a while I enjoyed the PS2 more than the XBox. The Xbox had Halo which I played more than any PS2 game, but at the time I was a junkie for GTA III and DBZ Budokai. Though I think I beat Budokai in a whopping 2 1/2 hours. Story mode that is. The GC too had it's moment to be number 1 in my heart when Resident Evil 0 was out, Windwaker, OOT Masterquest and Metroid Prime + I actually enjoyed Mario Sunshine. But now overall I prefer the Xbox. The Games for it, the online play, offline multiplayer, the RPG's for the Xbox. I mean it just seems like it's what I want. Who knows..

Next Gen I plan to buy the 360 and Revolution for sure and maybe the PS3 depending on Games. So we'll see..

Posted by Burrito

I thought Pokemon Snap was a fun game for a short rent.

Posted by Speedfreak

It was worth it if you found it in a bargain bin. Wasn't a bad game by any means, just a bit short.

Posted by Ghost_Sniper

N64 by far i was just playing 007 golden eye on it an hour ago as my xbox sat in the back round that thing has caused nothin but trouble they do not make them like they used too.

Posted by Soulanim

How can you choose anything but the original? It's all about Atari VS. Intellivision.