Book-Film, Film-Book conversions.

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

Last frog said in another thread that books are overated- I disagreed with him and explained why. That made me think for a split second. Do conversions of books- Films ruin the book? Indeed, the way you perseve the world inside the book with change if you see the movie. Lord of the rings for example. Would i have seen the characters as I did had I not seen the movie?
No.

So I began to wonder if Book to film conversions are as bad as they seem, I happen to think they are. I love going to see a film based on a book but many things can happen- You automatically start comparing the book and film. When you see A film based on a book (suppose it is one you have read) You could think 'Oh, thats not how I imagined them'. In short when you see a film based on a book you see the Directors' interpretation of the world inside the book. It stops your imagination flowing when reading that book, you no longer imagine your world. You see the Directors' vision of it.

Would you rather invision your own world that the characters live in and make the reading a ton more enjoyable, Or would you rather be spoon fed another persons imagination? I know what I would choose. Comments?

Posted by Arwon

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a near perfect conversion.

Posted by Shade

The Bourne Trilogy was an ugly conversion. Both movies so far have been 99.8% different than the books.

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

Quoting Arwon: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a near perfect conversion.

But it still destroyed what a book is really about. Well in my opinion anyway.

Posted by Arwon

What about the book did the movie destroy, exactly?

Posted by MetalVox~55

lets see how the Chronicals of Narnia turn out.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I'm not so sure if this wasn't already apparent, but Lord of the Rings did well on both pages and film.:)

Posted by Klarth

Quoting MetalVox~55: lets see how the Chronicals of Narnia turn out.

if Amy Lee gets that cameo role, I'll cry.

Posted by loony636

There was a book called Deadly Unna? that they turned into a movie called Australian Rules. That was about 60% related to the book. The Harry Potter's haven't turned out too badly so far... But the Borne series, as was said

Quoted post: The Bourne Trilogy was an ugly conversion. Both movies so far have been 99.8% different than the books.

They didn't turn out very well at all.

Posted by Looski

Borne books better of worse? I thought Harry Potter could be better, they didn't make sense if u didn't read the books ( Ive read them all several times). A series that like just has the same title and thats it is The Princess Diaries. I personally have not read the series, but my sister has and says that they are nothing like the movies.

I had to hand it to Peter Jackson for putting such a powerful and conterversal trilogy into a movie so well. My mother has 2nd editions of the 3 books and swore to never see the movies, but ended up buying the collectors editions of each of them. The only problem with that is 12 hour long LOR dedcated days, blah...