Congratulations, Sony!

Posted by Fate

You finally got what you deserved.

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/30/news_6134787.html]Original PlayStation, Sony win Emmy[/url]

Posted by Speedfreak

Uh, what the hell? PS1 wasn't even true 3D!

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting Speedfreak: Uh, what the hell? PS1 wasn't even true 3D!

Haha. I personally don't think it should have one anything. There are tons of other systems that have done even better than the ps1 did in sales.

:D Speadfreak you made me laugh today :D

+2 rep. for you :D because I can. I know it's not much but...oh well : )

Posted by Lord of Spam

Didnt the saturn and 3DO do 3d first? :/

Posted by Klarth

Saturn did, I'm pretty sure.

And wasn't Star Wing on the snes true 3D? That didn't seem like mode 7 to me.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Wow. You'd almost think they made a good game or something, back then.

Posted by boomstick

I'm completely surprised by the response this got on THIS board:rolleyes:

Posted by Fate

No appreciation! :(

Posted by Speedfreak

Saturn didn't do 3D either. The N64 was the only true 3D console. It was the only one with a dedicated 3D graphics chip. I don't care, anyway, awards are bogus and this proves it.

Posted by Shade

Good ***. You guys sound like whiney little babies. "But, it wasn't true 3D!" Or, "But this did it first!"Just accept that Sony did pioneer the 3D gaming industry and deserved the award. Gosh.

Posted by ExoXile

Hurray for SoNy!

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Shade]Good ***. You guys sound like whiney little babies. "But, it wasn't true 3D!" Or, "But this did it first!"Just accept that Sony did pioneer the 3D gaming industry and deserved the award. Gosh.

Sorry, I don't accept things that are completely wrong.

Posted by Shade

And I don't accept statements that are submitted by fanboys. If it were Nintendo instead of Sony, you'd be showing some praise. But no, nothing Sony does is deservant of anything.

Posted by Ant

No, they don't.

What exactly did they pinnoer? They just were the first to be popular, but not THEE first.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: They just were the first to be popular, but not THEE first.

That's pretty much the point.

They made it popular, they introduced it to the general public. And that's probably why they are getting the reward.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting Lord of Spam: Didnt the saturn and 3DO do 3d first? :/

The Nintendo Virtual Boy was actually the first 3D gaming system. :D

Posted by ExoXile

I think.. it actually would be SNES who intruduced the 3D-FX32 chip or whatever.

But, the true 3D xp was actually N64.
With out doubt.

I know my mouth got wide open with SM64 and Oot.

So:
Snes, was first.
Playstation, was second in stage.
N64 had the real 3D.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: That's pretty much the point.

They made it popular, they introduced it to the general public. And that's probably why they are getting the reward.

Finally, SOMEONE'S getting it!

[quote=Shafe]And I don't accept statements that are submitted by fanboys. If it were Nintendo instead of Sony, you'd be showing some praise. But no, nothing Sony does is deservant of anything.

Well, yeh. Becuase Speedy is saying it was the n64 that pioneered 3d. So if the N64 got the award of course he would be agreeing. But that has nothing to do with fanboyism.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Shade]And I don't accept statements that are submitted by fanboys.

Wait. Wait. Wait, wait, wait, you're the one showing a disregard for facts here and still backing up Sony over an untruth.

Wait.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Klarth: Wait. Wait. Wait, wait, wait, you're the one showing a disregard for facts here and still backing up Sony over an untruth.

Wait.

It's not a question about which games console had 3D graphics first or who made better ones. It's a case of making 3D graphics a bigger thing than 2D graphics and getitng it into peoples homes. Playstation did that. Even if the 3D graphics were terrible.

I mean come on, the graphics were so bad in Tomb Raider I thought the walls were jumpin out at me!

Posted by Speedfreak

When Mario 64 came out, the only thing PS1 had to rival it were a few 2D platformers. WHO'S PIONEERING WHAT HERE?

Right. Rascal is the perfect example of trying to create a Super Mario 64 experience on the playstation. And people wonder why I say it was the absolute right thing to do for Nintendo to tell sony where to shove their system.

Posted by Random

Graphics or not the Playstation was awesome. I mean not the greatest console ever, but it undoubtedly had numerous Great Titles.

"Undoubtedly?" I only found 4 throughout its entire lifecycle worth purchasing, in my opinion: Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Warrior 7, Star Ocean 2, and Blaster Master: Blasting Again. playstation being a great system is a popular opinion, but it's still just an opinion. For me, the system rates lower than the Sega Master System (my least favorite of any hardware that received a decent amount of respect), and only just higher than the CD-i.

Posted by Random

You didn't play much Playstation did you? or try out many games I presume? The Playstation Rocked. I think greatly of the Playstation. I thought the Playstation 2 was a disappointment compared to what the Playstation had brought to the table.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Speedfreak: When Mario 64 came out, the only thing PS1 had to rival it were a few 2D platformers. WHO'S PIONEERING WHAT HERE?

Playstation had 3D games at launch

[quote=Somebody Random]I thought the Playstation 2 was a disappointment compared to what the Playstation had brought to the table.

I think both suck :)

Posted by Big Boss

Jumping Flash! was awesome.

Congratulations, PlayStation! And shortly after your 10th birthday no less! Thank you for bringing and leading the best era in gaming history!

Posted by Speedfreak

YOU SHUT UP. JUMPING FLASH WAS FORGED IN HADES AND SERVED WITH A SIDE-ORDER OF DRAGON GUANO.

Posted by Aioros

[IMG]http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/images/300/baby_crying_closeup.jpg[/IMG]
[COLOR="Yellow"]Jesus, we have a bunch of whiney monkeys in here.

No, they didn't do it first, and no, they didn't do it perfect. But they did lead the 3D revolution by putting it in most people's homes and therefore making it acceptable as the next step in gaming. And for that they are pioneers and deserve this award.[/COLOR]

Posted by Linko_16

I'm the last person to be promoting Sony over Nintendo on ANYTHING, but I wouldn't deny them this award. The Playstation had plenty of games I still replay for fun.

Posted by ExoXile

Yeah! FFVII! :rolleyes:

I played at least as many playstation games as I own of N64 games, SomebodyRandom. I found most of them to be filth dressed up as games that I enjoy. Chrono Cross being the biggest example of this. I cannot express in words how much I despise that game, to the point that I refuse to believe that anyone likes it even remotely. Legend of Mana was alright, but a pale imitation of Secret. Saga Frontier 1 & 2 were shallow RPGs compared to just about anything on the SNES. Alundra was a pathetic Zelda clone and its sequel was clunky, ugly, and completely unrelated to the first game. The 2D fighters on the system suffered from glitches and lag more often than not, and I sneer at the thought of any 2D fighting fan picking up the playstation instead of the Sega Saturn or Dreamcast. I picked up Final Fantasy VII for the PC, and 8 and 9 were ***-awful. Those are just the ones I can name off the top of my head, too. Unlike Nintendo-haters, I can back up my disgust for sony with actual experience with their products.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting ExoXile: Yeah! FFVII! :rolleyes:

I'm playing it again right now, and among excellent games coming out this holiday season!

*Hugs his PlayStation*

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Big Boss]

Thank you, sony marketing executive.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Big Boss]

Noooo, as I still like Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy X over it, not to mention all MGS titles, KOTOR, Jade Empire... but it's still in my top ten.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Aioros][IMG]http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/images/300/baby_crying_closeup.jpg[/IMG]
[COLOR=yellow]Jesus, we have a bunch of whiney monkeys in here.

No, they didn't do it first, and no, they didn't do it perfect. But they did lead the 3D revolution by putting it in most people's homes and therefore making it acceptable as the next step in gaming. And for that they are pioneers and deserve this award.[/COLOR]

Are you sh[COLOR=lightgreen]i[/COLOR]tting me? Regardless of their total half-a[COLOR=lightgreen]s[/COLOR]sed attempt at 3D, they're pioneers because they sold more?

Alright then, by your logic the Game Boy is the pioneer of portable digital music, because it plays music and sells better than all music players combined. If Sony pissed in a cup you'd call it lemonade.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Not just because they sold more Speedfreak but like i said, because they made it acceptable. Alone in the Dark was a great survival-horror game, the first of it's kind and some say it's still the best of that genre. But if Resident Evil hadn't come into play and popularize it, survival-horror as a genre would not exist today.

If Nintendo asked you to tatoo the words "I'm George Bush's bit[COLOR="Yellow"]c[/COLOR]h on your butt cheeks, you would gladly accept.:p: :p: [/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

But it didn't "make it popular". I'll use your analogy. If Alone in the Dark sold 4 million units, basically MAKING survival horror and making it popular, then RE went on and sold 7 million, by your definition RE would've pioneered it. It's not like the N64 sold a whole 10 units compared to the PS1s ten billion, the N64 was actually an extremely successful console. This isn't like Sega Saturn doing 3D before PS1, the N64 sold by the truckload! So because it wasn't as successful as PS1 that means its accomplishments account for nothing? I'm not buying it. Though, to be honest, I can't say I'd care that much if Nintendo did win the award. I've never cared for award ceremonies, especially not ceremonies that have nothing to do with games yet give games awards. It holds as much value as MTV giving PS1 the same award.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Speedfreak: It not only rendered 3D in software (had no 3D hardware AT ALL), but it did it badly. It has trouble doing simple things like keeping polygons in the same position (ever notice the walls "wobbling" as you went past them in some PS1 games?). It's not real 3D. Besides that, I just disagree with the award in general. Mario 64 kicked the living daylights out of anything 3D on PS1 at the time, and continued to do so, so why the hell should PS1 get the award? PS1 wasn't even built for 3D, so I really fail to see how it can be a bloody pioneer.

OH NOES, IT DOESNT HAVE A SPECIFIC CHIP TO MAKE IT 3D!!! DOESNT COUNT!!!

Seriously, just let the PlayStation have its day. It may not have been the best, or even the first, but it was more popular. It opened 3D gaming up to more people than the N64 did, so just accept it.

Posted by Random

Quoting Lord of Spam: OH NOES, IT DOESNT HAVE A SPECIFIC CHIP TO MAKE IT 3D!!! DOESNT COUNT!!!

Seriously, just let the PlayStation have its day. It may not have been the best, or even the first, but it was more popular. It opened 3D gaming up to more people than the N64 did, so just accept it.

Agreed and lets settle it at that.

I wonder what the sales for true 3D games were for both systems. Were 3D games more popular on the playstation, or just games in general?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Lord of Spam]OH NOES, IT DOESNT HAVE A SPECIFIC CHIP TO MAKE IT 3D!!! DOESNT COUNT!!!

You know what's funny?

It wasn't even more popular when the N64 was doing 3D.

It took a while for the PS1 to exert total dominance, Nintendo was still a massive brand name by then, remember. Sony was the newbie in the industry, Nintendo had owned it for 2 generations straight.

Sorry for daring to question Sony's absolute omnipotence, though! I really should know better!

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Yeah, you should.[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

Didn't see that coming. No, honestly, I really didn't. Totally blew me away. So much so that I'm writing this in Russia.

Posted by TendoAddict

I must admit I really dont give a crap. Sony fanboys are sucking this like collage whore when smashed. And the nintendo fanboys are that much better.

But It does remind me of a story. When the the first (non-counting game and watch) handel held came out their were two competitors for the christmas sales.

1. The original game boy

2. Atari's attempt at a hand-held.

Now we all know which one won. The game boy recived many awards for their Gameboy, so they were better right?

Oddly enough thats wrong.

Atari's machine already had COLOR (nice color too) And alot more power.
So why did Nintendo get the awards? Becuase it won, not because it was the best.

Great story huh?

well I will give sony one thing...

They did attract alot more gamers into the market. Giving it the industry power to exspand to what it is today.

But with that it brought in more idiots and dick heads then I can handle. But atleast they didnt come here (most of the time)

Posted by Speedfreak

The Gameboy won because it had a better battery life and better games. I sincerely doubt GameBoy won any awards for "Best Colour Screen" or "most powerful handheld", which is the equivalent of what PS1 is winning now.

Posted by Luigi182

Well, I suppose Sony can recieve an award for pioneering 3d games. Of course to do that, they had this special approval board for the PS1. This approval board frowned greatly upon 2d games, even the good ones, and only let the most popular 2d franchises be released. While they just about let any crap on a sitck get released as long as it was in 3d. Hence the flood of crappy PS1 games.

Yeah, so they get an award for ramming 3d down our throats, when clearly there was still life left in 2d gaming goodness.

Posted by ExoXile

I beleve i was playing Snes until N64, i didn't even tuch the Playstation before Gamecube came.

So i didn't know so much of Playstation1 before that.

(And the only games i've ever played on PS1 is FFVII, and FFVIII.)

Personally i think Snes is the winner here, awards are just stupid.

Posted by ZEN

They should have given this award to the "Vectrex".
The what? Who? Okay... perhaps not.

I didn't think an "Emmy" was given out for stuff like this. Although, I agree it's a "popularity" award, it's fitting for Sony seeing how they were on top during the years video gaming became a mainstream medium.

I liked 'Ape Escape' for 3D platforming though (probably the best example of how to make a fun game of that kind for PS1).

Quoted post: I liked 'Ape Escape' for 3D platforming though (probably the best example of how to make a fun game of that kind for PS1).

I hated those controls. I ended up beating the game without fully mastering the double-analogue setup.

Posted by Unite

Wow i come back after months of playing world of warcraft and things haven't changed, lol. Speedfreak , Prince Shondronai etc are still showing there hate and dislike for sony. Has any good games come out for the game cube last few months?

Quoted post: Has any good games come out for the game cube last few months?

Battalion Wars is great while it lasts. Otherwise... not that I can think of right now.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Vampiro: Battalion Wars is great while it lasts. Otherwise... not that I can think of right now.

Whats happening with gc? I mean with ps2 there is stella deus , Shin megami tensei digital devil saga , a few others i have haven't bought. Too much world of warcraft to care.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Unite: Has any good games come out for the game cube last few months?

That's a long and resounding no.

Quoted post: Whats happening with gc?

Third-parties have pretty much given up on the GC. Only the big guys like EA remain, though even then, it barely gets anything good.

Posted by KoH

What a bullshit award. Speed's right, it wasn't true 3d nor was it the first.

Posted by Lord of Spam

IT DOESNT MATTER IF IT WAS TRUE THREE D OR NOT, OR EVEN IF IT WAS THE FIRST.

IT. WAS. MORE. POPULAR.

It brought more people into 3d then any other system. Nobody is saying it did it first, or it did it better. Hell, I myeslf accredited both to other systems. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SHUT UP AND LOOK AT THE NUMBERS. The PS sold more, and introduced more people to 3d gaming. So take Nintendo's cock out of your mouth for five seconds and just deal with it.

Posted by KoH

I still hate the Playstation. And on top of that, wtf? An EMMY?

Posted by Pit

Quoting Lord of Spam: IT DOESNT MATTER IF IT WAS TRUE THREE D OR NOT, OR EVEN IF IT WAS THE FIRST.

IT. WAS. MORE. POPULAR.

It brought more people into 3d then any other system. Nobody is saying it did it first, or it did it better. Hell, I myeslf accredited both to other systems. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SHUT UP AND LOOK AT THE NUMBERS. The PS sold more, and introduced more people to 3d gaming. So take Nintendo's cock out of your mouth for five seconds and just deal with it.

Yeah, but everyone seems to be missing the point. The point of this award was which system pioneered 3D gaming.

Now, PS1 isn't true 3D, at all, but N64 was. Now, the PS1 is winning an award for something it isn't. That's the whole arguement here; not which one is "more popular".

I mean, it's ****ing obvious that the PS1 was more popular and sold a **** lot more than the N64. That isn't what this award is for, which one is more popular, now is it?

Posted by Lord of Spam

pi

Posted by Luigi182

Yes, but I still stand by my point that they rammed it down our throats when 2d games still had some life left in them.

Posted by Fate

2D may still have had some life in it; so what? That's what pioneers do. They venture out into unknown territory, i.e., three dimensions.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Lord of Spam]pi

Posted by Lord of Spam

First of all, the second definition is the only one that is applicable, as no video game system has settled anywhere to my knowledge, nor is it a plant or animal.

That being said, under the definition given, the PS still fits the criteria for the award. It pioneered the realm of 3d. Look at American history. The first person to travel accross North America pioneered America. But what do we call the swarms of people that traveled across the country in the mid 1800s? Hmmm... let me see-OH WAIT IT WAS THE PIONEERS. Were they the first? Nope. Where they the most numerous? Yup, so they get the title. They may not have been the first, but since they pioneered it in the sense of making it more accesible and open to the rest, they deserve it.

Its the same with Sony. There were 3d options out. They came first, and there may have even been a true 3d system out before it (I say may here as I dont whack off to console stats), but guess what? The PS was still the popularizer.

Another example. There had been people playing music that was basically rock for decades, but when Elvis made it accessable for large audiances, he was credited with pioneering rock.

So who cares if the PS didnt have "true 3d", or if it was first. It brought what looked a hell of a lot like 3D (to me anyway) to millions of people. It opened up (see how #2 comes in there nice and neatly?) something that wasnt really all that accessible before it. So just chillax on the sony hatin', k?

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Speedfreak: The Gameboy won because it had a better battery life and better games. I sincerely doubt GameBoy won any awards for "Best Colour Screen" or "most powerful handheld", which is the equivalent of what PS1 is winning now.

[COLOR="Navy"]1) Battery power was not as big issue at because it was new (comparing from game and watch) and at the start a common idea was not formed. Just like no one asked about the horse power of the *FIRST* cars because it was a new product and it couldnt be compared.

2)When it first started they were about two machines from two companies, then nintendo won ( I think it was good advertising and free tetris). Thus by they were the only choice to make when it came to makeing profit off games. (why 3rd partys make games, profit)

If Atari won the christmas sales then more people would make more games for it and thus by the gameboy would die.

But Since nintedo won it never gained a serious pompetitor. Thats why it couldnt be givin awards (intell current state of handhelds).
---
Example) If you were the only Guitar player in a group of people and you won the "Best Guitar Player" award it would be pointless, No one else was possible to gain the award so its redudent .
---
The gameboy really count win anything because it was the only real Big Handheld.
=========================================================

Yet I must agree that Sony is taking all the cake for something done by many different groups.

Sony didnt pioneer 3D, even if people agree that it showed up on a ps1 first.

The award should be broken down into smaller pieces because third party's make the games, not sony.

And even if thye made a council the could use 3D they were not the ones to make 3D. 3D was long before the PS1, even if they (hypothetically, meaning if thats what people think) made the first system to fully exploit it that doesnt mean they Pioneered it.

(p.s/ I learned that color text attracts people)

[/COLOR]

Quoted post: I still hate the Playstation. And on top of that, wtf? An EMMY?

Would an Oscar be better?

Edit: Oh shi-

there's a whole other page.

Meh.

I don't know about anyone else, but the first 3D game I ever played was "Roll the ball to mommy" when I was about 1.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Lord of Spam]First of all, the second definition is the only one that is applicable, as no video game system has settled anywhere to my knowledge, nor is it a plant or animal.

That being said, under the definition given, the PS still fits the criteria for the award. It pioneered the realm of 3d. Look at American history. The first person to travel accross North America pioneered America. But what do we call the swarms of people that traveled across the country in the mid 1800s? Hmmm... let me see-OH WAIT IT WAS THE PIONEERS. Were they the first? Nope. Where they the most numerous? Yup, so they get the title. They may not have been the first, but since they pioneered it in the sense of making it more accesible and open to the rest, they deserve it.

Its the same with Sony. There were 3d options out. They came first, and there may have even been a true 3d system out before it (I say may here as I dont whack off to console stats), but guess what? The PS was still the popularizer.

Another example. There had been people playing music that was basically rock for decades, but when Elvis made it accessable for large audiances, he was credited with pioneering rock.

So who cares if the PS didnt have "true 3d", or if it was first. It brought what looked a hell of a lot like 3D (to me anyway) to millions of people. It opened up (see how #2 comes in there nice and neatly?) something that wasnt really all that accessible before it. So just chillax on the sony hatin', k?

Bad analogy. The first person to discover America was a pioneer. He pioneered the Atlantic and discovered America. The people that arrived to America were also pioneers because they explored America, the first guy just discovered it. It has nothing to do with numbers. One person could've mapped the whole of America by himself and he'd be considered a pioneer. Again, you seem to be missing the point that 3D was old news by the time PS1 did it. PS1 did nothing new and it was already popular when it did it.

Elvis got credited as being the king of rock and roll, not the pioneer of it. Your analogy could actually be seen as offensive, by the way, as black people (I'll be d[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mned if I ever use 'African Americans' or 'Hispanics' or 'Caucasians') were the original pioneers of rock and roll. They invented rock and roll, they made it popular. It got so popular that white people started liking it, but they had white people sing the songs instead of the people that wrote them because...well, racism. Quite a few people could be offended by the fact that you think a newcomer to the rock and roll scene who is also white is the pioneer rock and roll.

And again, you're breaking your own arguement. #2 says nothing about opening a new field up to new people, just opening it up. The fact that it isn't true 3D does, in fact, matter because otherwise SNESs Mode 7 would count as the first 3D graphics, which is total bollocks.

About that last little comment about Sony hating, well thanks for proving my point, you whiney baby.

[quote=Prince Shondronai]I don't know about anyone else, but the first 3D game I ever played was "Roll the ball to mommy" when I was about 1.

Oh, way to break the whole freakin' thread!

Posted by Fate

Uh, not all games for the PS1 had pre-rendered backgrounds like Resident Evil (from what I remember...?) or Final Fantasy games. I guess using the first definition is best, since Sony "claimed" the territory that Nintendo had. The games really were 3D. The difference between the N64 and PS1 is that the PS1 uses pixel-shading.

Posted by Speedfreak

Fate. What the F[COLOR=lightgreen]U[/COLOR]CK are you talking about? Not even the Gamecube or PS2 have pixel shading, and Xbox has ONE. Shaders weren't even around when the PS1 was released.

The difference between the N64 and PS1 in terms of 3D was the N64 could render more polygons and render them properly in hardware, put biliniar filtering on textures and have more detailed textures, and had enough processing power to do lighting effects. PS1 could draw a polygon in software (which produced innaccuracies, as you might notice in PS1 games where the walls or floor look like theyre rippling our out of line with eachother), put a texture on it and move it around. That's about it.

And who the hell mentioned pre-rendering?

Posted by Fate

From what I remember, the polygons on the PS1 had pixel-shaded textures. I'm sure you've seen it. I mentioned pre-rendering because you kept saying the PS1 wasn't fully 3D. :/

Posted by Speedfreak

Um, you must be mixing up pixel shaders with something else. The Xbox was the first home console to have a pixel shader in it. PS1 having a pixel shader in it wouldn't make any sense at all. It'd be like the original Game Boy being able to display more colours than a SNES but still having a black and white screen.

As for pre-rendered games, the models are 3D, so that doesn't mean anything. The first PS1 game I saw ever was Ridge Racer, anyway. I'm saying PS1 can't do true 3D, because it has no hardware capable of doing it. Developers had to write a program that would simulate a 3D chip which would then run on the PS1s main processor. The result you got was PS1s attempt at polygons, it couldn't draw them properly so you ended up seeing them move for no apparant reason and the textures put onto it wouldn't stay in line with eachother. It's about as true-3D as those GBA games with polygons in them. It just looks crappy and inaccurate.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

the ps1's graphics are pretty bad compared to the n64. but some buddies disagree. what i noticed was how the graphics were poorer for ps1 games depending on the company that released them. i mean, ubisoft games had moderately decent graphics, but games like ape escape [scea] just continuously flickered. that was crappy.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Speedfreak: Bad analogy. The first person to discover America was a pioneer. He pioneered the Atlantic and discovered America. The people that arrived to America were also pioneers because they explored America, the first guy just discovered it. It has nothing to do with numbers. One person could've mapped the whole of America by himself and he'd be considered a pioneer. Again, you seem to be missing the point that 3D was old news by the time PS1 did it. PS1 did nothing new and it was already popular when it did it.

Okay, i dont really see how you can claim that 3D was really popular. The first times I remember seeing lots of 3d games was PS1. Maybe there are a buttload of others, but I dont realyl recall it being huge before that.

Quoting Speedfreak: Elvis got credited as being the king of rock and roll, not the pioneer of it. Your analogy could actually be seen as offensive, by the way, as black people (I'll be d[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mned if I ever use 'African Americans' or 'Hispanics' or 'Caucasians') were the original pioneers of rock and roll. They invented rock and roll, they made it popular. It got so popular that white people started liking it, but they had white people sing the songs instead of the people that wrote them because...well, racism. Quite a few people could be offended by the fact that you think a newcomer to the rock and roll scene who is also white is the pioneer rock and roll.

Way to miss the entire point of my post. Let me make this clear for you. BLACK PEOPLE INVENTED ROCK, ELVIS POPULARIZED IT, SO HE GOT CREDIT FOR PIONEERING IT. Jesus christ you're dense.

Quoting Speedfreak: And again, you're breaking your own arguement. #2 says nothing about opening a new field up to new people, just opening it up. The fact that it isn't true 3D does, in fact, matter because otherwise SNESs Mode 7 would count as the first 3D graphics, which is total bollocks.

If you arent opening it up to new people, I'd like to know how you are opening it up. Seriously, try to explain that. You can't. To open it up refers to bringing new people to it, or making it accesible, WHICH THE PS1 DID.

Quoting Speedfreak: About that last little comment about Sony hating, well thanks for proving my point, you whiney baby.

At least I can admit that I favour a certain system.

Quoting Speedfreak: Oh, way to break the whole freakin' thread!

Yeah, he wins:(

3D was perfectly "opened up" and "accesible" to people when it was first invented. It's just that it wasn't marketed on mtv by the sorts of losers and morons that the blind masses identify with. Nothing was stopping people from buying the systems that actually did have the first 3D games on them, or playing the first 3D games in arcades.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Lord of Spam]At least I can admit that I favour a certain system.

Who said I couldn't admit it? All I did was say you're an assumptive fuckwad because you think that because I prefer one system I'm rendered incapable of seeing the merits of another one.

The fact that the first slew of 3D games you saw were on PS1 proves my point, you know jack shit. I first saw 3D on the SNES, then in Arcades and on PCs. Fact is 3D was done even before the NES with crappy vector graphics, and there were quite a few of them.

[quote]If you arent opening it up to new people, I'd like to know how you are opening it up.

You aren't. My point is opening something up to new people doesn't equal pioneering. 3D was already opened up to plenty of people, PS1 just opened it up to more people, just like the N64. My whole point is PS1 didn't make 3D, it was done way before that. It didn't make 3D popular, it was popular years before PS1. It may have brought more 3D games into people's homes, but that doesn't mean pioneering 3D in the slightest. It didn't do anything special with 3D (in fact, as I've pointed out, it did it badly), it wasn't popular because it was 3D, otherwise the N64 would've whipped it's ass. It was popular AND 3D. That's it. Annoying thing is there's nothing else I can compare it to. NES did ACTUALLY do new things with 2D, as did the SNES. Difference is I wouldn't say either pioneered 2D gaming.

Posted by Neox

Sony = crap

Care to explain?

Posted by Neox

Lol, your everywere aren't you?

Posted by Oforia

[quote]Sony = crap
leme guess. xbox is the only console that holds to your standards based on your friends 600 games and 10 consoles right?

Quoted post:
Lol, your everywere aren't you?

[FONT='Times New Roman'][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=white]unfortunately[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/FONT] so are you

Posted by Neox

Quoting Mixman: leme guess. xbox is the only console that holds to your standards based on your friends 600 games and 10 consoles right?

[FONT='Times New Roman'][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=white]unfortunately[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/FONT] so are you

1. I just prefer xbox over all
2. No I just tend to be in general gaming and xbox. Thats unfortunate for you I guess.

Posted by Oforia

However whenever you say something it is false or it is an opinion based on nothing reliable. All you have been doing is making up reasons of why xbox is better than everything else. Now I am not going to argue with you unless it has to do with the topic becuase it is just spamming the topic.

Posted by Neox

I don't believe xbox is better then the other systems I simply prefer it over the rest.

Posted by Oforia

Quoted post: I don't believe xbox is better then the other systems I simply prefer it over the rest.

[FONT='Times New Roman'][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=white]Contradicting[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/FONT] yourself shows that you don't have much intelligence at all.

This is a Congrats to sony topic. Stay on topic.

Posted by GameMiestro

People, people, these awards really arent much of a big deal. In fact, if it is such a big accomplishment, why did Microsoft get the same award for XBox live?

The reason is because they give out awards to the people the media wants them to give awards to. There's no 200 IQ panel of experts debating over what companies get awarded or not. The point of these awards is free advertising, plain and simple.

Posted by Fate

But if it was Nintendo, you certainly wouldn't say that, would you?

Posted by Speedfreak

Pioneering gaming, yes, pioneering 2D, no.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Fate][COLOR=skyblue]But if it was Nintendo, you certainly wouldn't say that, would you?[/COLOR]

Actually, I would, Nintendo often annoys me just as much as the other console companies do. How ironic it is that no console maker today actually started with video games.

Posted by Speedfreak

No, that would be a bit difficult for Nintendo considering they started in the 19th Century. They did start with games, however.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Card games.[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

Yup, then toys, then electronic toys, then little games like Game and Watch, then arcade games, then ColecoVision, then NES and onwards. They've always been a game-centric company.

Posted by GameMiestro

Well, then, mabey they should get an award.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't think any awarding body have an award for "single handedly revitalising a stagnant, dying industry".

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Speedfreak]I don't think any awarding body have an award for "single handedly revitalising a stagnant, dying industry".

I wish they did.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't, because Sony would get it, what with how Sony pretty much owns the entire film and music industry, and it's those kind of people that hand out awards.

Awards suck, anyway. "We mighty 10 people of the industry think our opinion is greater than everyone elses". Arragont pricks.

At least those people are even in the industry, though. There are often reports on IGN and Gamespot about "financial analysts" predicting dire circumstances for Nintendo's immediate future, none of which have ever come true. Those analysts have never held a controller in their lives.