2-D VS 3-D

Posted by Xqars

Which do you like more? 2-D Metroids including Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission or 3-D Metroids including Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2 Echos, and the upcoming Metroid Hunters? I like the 2-D Metroids by far (Metroid Fusion is the BEST). But I'm dissapointed because I think it looks like Nintendo isn't going to make any more platformers. It looks like they're concentrating on the Primes.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Tough question. Personally, I can't compare them. I love them both pretty equally, as they both have their pros and cons.

Quoted post: It looks like they're concentrating on the Primes.

Prime 3 is the last Prime.

Posted by Stalolin

I was greatly disapointed with Metroid Prime 2. I didn't enjoy it at all but I've enjoyed pretty much every 2D Metroid game, Super Metroid being my favorite.

I'm a hardcore 2D gamer, always will be.

Posted by Xqars

Quoting Vampiro: Prime 3 is the last Prime.

Good. I think the Prime Series is OK but not A+ material like everyone says. I'd like to see some new Metroid.

Posted by Zeta

The Metroid games are amazing, no matter if they're 2D or 3D, but if I had to go with one, I'd say 2D, and it would be a really, really close call. I have too many fond memories of playing Metroid II and Super Metroid when I was six. (That's right, I beat SM at the age of 6. ph33r m3.)

They should port SM to the DS, y'know? Use the bottom screen for the map and to toggle equipment on/off. Or at least remake Metroid 2 for GBA.

Posted by ExoXile

Can't choose, they're both as great.

Posted by Roth

I'm way more into old school games, but when it comes to Metroid, I've come to the conclusion that I like it better in 3-D. I think the transition was done very well. I haven't had any problems in terms of gameplay (i.e. awkwardness of controls). After playing the Prime games, I just can't get into the 2-D Metroids as much, which really sucks, because I used to love those games. I'm pretty sure this is one of the only series of games I've come to appreciate in this regard. Definitely 3-D Metroid for me.

Posted by Zyne

Personally, I like the 2-d side scroller metroids. I grew up with samus being in a 2-d world and thats how I will always remember her. Though I did think the first Metroid Prime was very well done. The second prime was kinda a disappointment, it had too many bland areas that they forced you to back track through and having to keep up with different ammos other than missiles in a metroid game...no. Even though they probably wont be coming out with any 2-D metroids for the consoles anytime soon, theres always the gb metroids and the castlevania series to fall back on.

Quoted post: Even though they probably wont be coming out with any 2-D metroids for the consoles anytime soon

Dread

Or whatever it's called.

Posted by The Punisher

3-D Metroid for me. Its fun seeing all these things that were 2-D now in a living vibrant world.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting The Punisher: 3-D Metroid for me. Its fun seeing all these things that were 2-D now in a living vibrant world.

2-D can be just as living.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Super Metroid is the best.

Posted by psp

Meh, i grew up with the 2-d metroid, so im gonna go with that one. Sure the 3-d metroid games are great, but not as good as 2-d in my opinion.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=GoldenMyr][COLOR=black]Super Metroid is the best.[/COLOR]
Super Metroid is definitly my favorite.

2-D.

Posted by ExoXile

And the level of difficulty is way higher in 2-D.
(Which isn't a bad thing)

Posted by Jak Pattinson

i liek teh 2-D metroids. they are mopre enjoyable.

Posted by Non-ExistentOne

I never really got into the Metroid games, I just never had a real liking for the more technologically advanced games I guess. I prefer swords and magic.

But in any case, I liked the multiplayer modes in Metroid Prime 2, so I'll go with the 3-D ones. Did I mention I hate backtracking in 2-D?

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Xqars]I like the 2-D Metroids by far (Metroid Fusion is the BEST).

Metroid Fusion wasnt that great compared to the likes of Zero Mission or Super Metroid... the only really cool thing they had was the Diffusion Missle.

Oh yes, I like 2-D Metroid much better. When something important happens in a 3-D Metroid, the action stops and the game forces you to look at the event in an annoying cutscene. 2-D games are far more interactive. You get to see everything that is going on, even if you aren't looking at it. And, if you want to do something really stupid, you're able to (such as shooting the SAX the first time it walks under you).

Quoted post: Metroid Fusion wasnt that great compared to the likes of Zero Mission or Super Metroid... the only really cool thing they had was the Diffusion Missle.

No Metroid can compare to Super, but I gotta disagree... Fusion was pretty badass.

Posted by ExoXile

Indeed. Metroid fusion was my first game for GBA, and i liked it a whole lot.
But i have yet to play Super Metroid :(

Posted by GameMiestro

They really should remake that game. They did with every Mario game.

Posted by Outlaw

The 2-D Metroids by a long shot. The 3-D ones were ight.

Posted by Slade

Super Metroid was the best one ever, so 2D. Fo sho.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Vampiro]No Metroid can compare to Super, but I gotta disagree... Fusion was pretty badass.
Seriously, you think that Fusion is better than Zero Mission? Well, there's another topic for that...

Anyways, with the emminent release of Metroid Prime Hunters coming up, I may have second thoughts about 3-D. I'm glad they brought that sense of room clearing madness back into the game.

Quoted post: Seriously, you think that Fusion is better than Zero Mission?

No, I just said that because... well, I don't know. I like to lie.

Posted by Drewboy64

2d metroids are very fun and are the ones I can actually finish. But I just played some Metroid Prime and **** was it fun.

Posted by CS Ryan

I prefer both of them. They're both good in their own way.

Posted by Cronoan

I agree. But I'm more of an old-fashioned Metroid fan, so I'd still lean more toward 2-d as far as the Metroid series is concerned. However, of the newer Metroids (After Super Metroid), I think that the 3-d ones were better than Fusion and Zero Mission. I don't know, Fusion and Zero Mission were too bright and colorful, like a cartoon, whereas Super Metroid was colorful, but it had a serious depth of shadow to the sprites and backgrounds. Call me crazy, but there you have it. 2-d was better before Fusion and Zero Mission. 3-d is better now. Huzzah. :)

Posted by Pit

Quoting Cronoan: I agree. But I'm more of an old-fashioned Metroid fan, so I'd still lean more toward 2-d as far as the Metroid series is concerned. However, of the newer Metroids (After Super Metroid), I think that the 3-d ones were better than Fusion and Zero Mission. I don't know, Fusion and Zero Mission were too bright and colorful, like a cartoon, whereas Super Metroid was colorful, but it had a serious depth of shadow to the sprites and backgrounds. Call me crazy, but there you have it. 2-d was better before Fusion and Zero Mission. 3-d is better now. Huzzah. :)

Meh, personally I thought Fusion was too colorful, in terms of Metroid. As usually, just like you, Metroid games carry an "eerie" theme to it. Not only that, but a lot of the Sprites used in Fusion (except the X-Ridley Sprite, which totally kicked ***), it carried a cartoony feel to it. However, Metroid Fusion is one of the best 2-D Metroid games and comes the closest to Super Metroid than any other 2D Metroid out there.

However, I disagree with Metroid Zero Mission being too colorful in terms of "appereance" to Super Metroid. Both had the same exact visual style, except since the GBA can do more than the SNES, everything is just more detailed.

See? Kraid looks a lot more fearsome, Samus is more detailed, and on top of that, Zero Mission has more backrounds, whereas in various instances in Super Metroid, it was plain black.

Only problem I see with the new 2D Metroid games (Fusion/Zero Mission) is that they tell you where to go and what to next. I would understand this in the 3D games, as they are so huge and even if they tell you where to go, most likely, you're going to get lost, but in 2D Metroid games... well, I find it more fun figuring out where to go next.

Yeah.

Posted by Cronoan

Quoting Pit:

However, I disagree with Metroid Zero Mission being too colorful in terms of "appereance" to Super Metroid. Both had the same exact visual style, except since the GBA can do more than the SNES, everything is just more detailed.

See? Kraid looks a lot more fearsome, Samus is more detailed, and on top of that, Zero Mission has more backrounds, whereas in various instances in Super Metroid, it was plain black.

Only problem I see with the new 2D Metroid games (Fusion/Zero Mission) is that they tell you where to go and what to next. I would understand this in the 3D games, as they are so huge and even if they tell you where to go, most likely, you're going to get lost, but in 2D Metroid games... well, I find it more fun figuring out where to go next.

You are quite right about Metroid Zero Mission being better shaded. It's been a bit since I played it, and I stand corrected. :) And I agree with you on their telling us where to go in the new 2-d Metroids. I hate that about Fusion, you can't even go anywhere unless you submit to that ridiculous bossy ship and go through dialogue.

After all is said and done, if they make another Metroid game in 2-d, I'll still buy it. :-D

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Pit]

Yeah.

Fusion told you what to do because the storyline in the game is huge. I'm suprised that you think Zero Mission has a lack of freedom, though, because the only things that even gave you advice were the chozo statues, who's advice are anything but required.

Posted by Pit

Quoting GameMiestro: Fusion told you what to do because the storyline in the game is huge. I'm suprised that you think Zero Mission has a lack of freedom, though, because the only things that even gave you advice were the chozo statues, who's advice are anything but required.

If you play Metroid Zero Mission, in it's state of chozo statue to chozo statue, they do tell you what to do. Yes, there are ways to get around it, obviously. In fact, you don't even need all the powerups to finish the game, but that's not the point I was trying to make.

Point was, that even if the advice is anything but required, when it comes down to it, they do tell you where to go, making the game linear. Yes, you have the freedom to go explore other areas in the game, but that takes away the exploration to figure out where you need to go to progress, which was an element in past Metroid games.

Agree with you on the Fusion thing though.

Posted by GameMiestro

Metroid 1 indeed forced you to figure out where to go. Wouldn't you agree, though, that if everyone truely played the game without any help whatsoever, that only a slim group of people would actually finish? People are a lot more impatient then they were, say, 10 years ago. Where as the action in Metroid 1 could come to a dead halt, the vauge but helpful targets in Metroid Zero Mission keeps the action flowing.

Posted by Xqars

(this is off the subject) I said awhile ago I liked 2-D Metroids way more than Prime. Well, that's because I didn't give Prime a chance. I actually started playing past the arrival visit to Tallon IV and got addicted to it. It's excellent. So I'm changing my preference to 3-D. But they're both great, 2-D Metroids still get an A+ from me.

Posted by Cronoan

Quoting GameMiestro: Metroid 1 indeed forced you to figure out where to go. Wouldn't you agree, though, that if everyone truely played the game without any help whatsoever, that only a slim group of people would actually finish? People are a lot more impatient then they were, say, 10 years ago. Where as the action in Metroid 1 could come to a dead halt, the vauge but helpful targets in Metroid Zero Mission keeps the action flowing.

I agree with you that Metroid 1 was too difficult without some form of guidance, but I think the reason is primarily because of the low level of memory the Nintendo had at the time. So all the levels looked the same and it was pretty easy to get turned around. But in Super Metroid, gamers weren't provided with any guidance either, yet it was easier to beat (Mind you, I didn't say easy) because the levels varied and it included a map of Zebes. And then in Zero Mission, the Chozo statues show you were to go whenever you receive a powerup from them, whether you need the help or not, which in my opinion was way too easy.

Therefore, I liked Super Metroid's layout best of all the 2d games, because it was challenging but surmountable. This may be off topic, but it still makes for an excellent discussion. :) And just so it's not off-topic, 2-d is better than 3-d. Bring it on.:cool:

Posted by GameMiestro

Hard mode on Zero Mission is harder than Super Metroid...

BTW, Xquars, you're not off topic at all.