Solo Careers

Posted by Skitzo Control

The Ozzy thread brought up something in my mind that I've never realized: musicians that begin solo careers as singers seem to bomb pretty hard, unless backed up tremendously by their crew. Ozzy being a prime example. Then, there was Jimmy Page, (I mentioned him in the previouis thread. For those that don't know him, he did lead vocals in a little band by the name of Led Zeppelin. Heard of it?) and his solo career turned out to be about half as good as his career with Zep.

However, most of the people who have launched a succesful solo career have turned out to be guitarists (or, in Phil Collins case, he played every instrument known to mankind). So, what gives? What makes their solo music so much better?

Posted by Richaod

Jimmy Page did vocals with Led Zeppelin? WTF? Fail.

I don't actually know of a lot of artists who've been in bands then launched solo careers. Of course, singers are less likely to be musically talented, and they may rely more on conventional record-company songwriters or something like that, which makes fans of their original band less likely to appreciate them. And their music will probably be worse.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Quoting Richaod: Jimmy Page did vocals with Led Zeppelin? WTF? Fail.
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted the thread, but I had to get some sleep so I didn't bother fixing it. Also, I figured most people wouldn't have noticed, because most members aren't Zeppelin fans, let alone knowing the bandmembers. I'd fix it, now, too, but there's no point anymore!:)

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I dunno. Alot go off to do great things, by themselves or another band. Clapton, Gabriel, Steve Vai, David Grohl, I dunno, that's all that comes to mind right now.

Posted by MetalVox~55

SATRIANI

Posted by The Punisher

Wait so let me get this right Jimmy Pages solo career was Zeppelin? I am pretty sure that

Posted by Klarth

Do Falkenbach and Burzum count?

Posted by MetalVox~55

!

Posted by Porcupine

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MetalVox~55 again.

Posted by s0ul

[QUOTE=The Punisher]Wait so let me get this right Jimmy Pages solo career was Zeppelin? I am pretty sure that

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Do Falkenbach and Burzum count?

I know Burzum would, since Varg left his old band Urik-Hai to make it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

gabriel>collins for great justice

Posted by The Punisher

Quoting Vampiro: I know Burzum would, since Varg left his old band Urik-Hai to make it.

Actualy I thought Urik-Hai evolved into Burzum...

Oh and yeah I just re-read over what he was saying. Oh well. What was Pages solo career? Unless he said and I tottaly missed it agian.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Actualy I thought Urik-Hai evolved into Burzum...

uh... no? He killed Euronymous while still in Burzum. So he wouldn't have even had time to form a new band. Plus, he said he wants to release a new Burzum CD (or at least a few songs) when he gets released in less than a year.

Anywho, you're way off.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting NegativeTrend:

TheSecondComing agrees!

Quoted post:

Who's this?

Posted by The Punisher

Quoting Vampiro: uh... no? He killed Euronymous while still in Burzum. So he wouldn't have even had time to form a new band. Plus, he said he wants to release a new Burzum CD (or at least a few songs) when he gets released in less than a year.

Anywho, you're way off.

Sh*t... ok. Still a new Burzum album would rock. I often get confused in black metals early history, forgive me. Then again im wrong at a lot of stuff. I cant wait, hopefuly still low-fi recordings, Burzum wouldnt sound like Burzum with out it.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Quoting TheSecondComing:
Who's this?

Rick Wakeman, keyboardist of Yes and awesome instrumental concept album creating. If you want to hear some IM me. :cool:

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting NegativeTrend: Rick Wakeman, keyboardist of Yes and awesome instrumental concept album creating. If you want to hear some IM me. :cool:

Ohhhh, didn't recognise him. Not a big fan. But he can certainly play those keyboards.

Posted by Klarth

...Instrumental concept album?

I don't get it.

Posted by sabre

There doesn't have to be any lyrics for there to be a concept behind the music. For instance, you could write a score of music which told the tale of a war by intermingling marching drum beats, furious playing, dramatic stringed instruments, to represent different themes and stages.

I don't think I've ever preferred a solo career to the actual band. Some of Geddy Lee's stuff was pretty neat, though.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

No Doubt (Tragic Kingdom) >>>>>>>>> Gwen f*cking Stefani's solo sh*t

Seriously, songs like "Don't speak" were really good, and so were a few others off of their first two albums.

She flat out SUCKS these days.

I've just drawn quite the blank? What's the name of the guy from Wham, who did "Faith", "Freedom", "I want your sex", "Father figure" and so forth? George something, right?

What about when John left the Beatles (non yoko work)? Imagine? Jealous guy? You know, that stuff wasn't too bad.

Posted by The Punisher

Oh hey I thought of an awsome solo artists. John5 from Manson, and he toured with Rob Zombie at Ozzfest. He has a few pretty cool solo albums.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting The Punisher: Oh hey I thought of an awsome solo artists. John5 from Manson, and he toured with Rob Zombie at Ozzfest. He has a few pretty cool solo albums.

:rolleyes:

Posted by The Punisher

I hope thats an agree that you like him, nod your head...! =)