Major questions about networking...

Posted by Proto Man

I hope you guys can help me. I have mutiple problems, so to make it easier, I am going to label them.

Problem #1: Ok, here is the dillema, I have a computer I am using as a print server, and soon to be web server. Right now it is running Windows Server 2003 which I got from a friend, but it needs activating. The key that came with it isn't working with the activation though, so right now I am looking to buy one. What I don't know though is if a CAL is the right thing to buy, or not, because that is all I am finding are CALs.

Now here is the deal, I don't have money to buy anything at the moment right now, so buying a license is on hold at the moment, so I have to do a different set up. I just wanted that question answered though so I can use Win 2K3 in the future.

Problem #2: So my new setup would be using Windows XP Proffesional Edition to share two printers. I also want a webserver though, so I was thinking about going with Apache. What I want to know is this:

Does Apache run on XP?

Can I play games on a computer that doubles as a print server and web server?

Will that setup that I just mentioned work?

Thank you for taking your time to look at this.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Apache runs on XP and yes you can play games and do whatever with Apache running as a process in the background but it isn't recommended by my atleast if you have a poor setup.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting NegativeTrend: Apache runs on XP and yes you can play games and do whatever with Apache running as a process in the background but it isn't recommended by my atleast if you have a poor setup.

Poor setup as in... hardaware?

It's an Intel Pentium 4 2Ghz processor, with 768 MB of RAM.