Hands-On with Sony's PSP

Posted by Big Boss

Craig Derrick, Product Manager of GBA-centric developer Vicarious Visions and former producer of the highly acclaimed Outrage Games PC title Descent 3, came to Full Sail to speak to us, the Game Design students, about his experience in the industry, as well as on some of the things we should all take into consideration when seeking a job, and climbing the "corporate ladder" to one day land the coveted designer spot.

After the presentation, he pulled out a PSP from his suitcase. A PSP! After my sarcastically asking if the thing worked, a question that raised the room in laughter, he proceeded to give us a chance to try the sweet handheld.

When I got my hands on it, the first thing I noticed was the amazingly bright, huge screen. WOW. No longer do you have to be at a certain angle or certain light to view handhelds. You can see the picture just as clear from whatever point you're playing in, so do not worry about the screen being similar to that of some LCD TVs out there where you need to be in front to see the clear picture. It's just beautiful.

The game he brought was Ridge Racer, and it's amazing (and scary) that a first-generation title looked this good. I played one full race, and just fiddled with the Japanese-filled menu to quickly start the game. With the quality of the screen, and the incredibly smooth frame rate, it wouldn't surprise me if some people would mistakenly believe the PSP was stronger than the PS2. You really have to play it, or just see it in action to see what the system can pull off in the visual department.

The other welcoming feature of the PSP is its controls. The people that played the PSP before me didn't even think of using the analog stick, something I couldn't wait to try. First off, I must say my doubts on it were quickly put to rest. You basically "slide" the stick in any direction you want, and when letting go it snaps back to its center. It's very easy to get used to it, and the only complaint I have is that the stick doesn't have as much range as a console analog stick, which may pose a problem in future games. Nevertheless, it worked beautifully with RR. I was not one minute into the game and was already showing off my sliding skills on the wheel. It certainly worked better than the d-pad for precision, and there's easy access to all front and shoulder buttons. To really use the stick, just switch the camera to first-person view with the L button. Amazing. If Super Mario 64 was on the PSP, it'd play better than the DS version, hands down. My expectations on the PSP have certainly increased, and I can't wait developers to start looking further under the hood of the system.

Lastly, while I was playing, someone asked Craig about the battery life, and he said Ridge Racer lasted between three and four hours, which is just fine. Sony will eventually release a battery pack, or even a longer-lasting battery, but I wouldn't need it.

Now, if only Ac!d were available...

Posted by Shade

If I ever did get a PSP, I'd certainly but the battery pack. When I get into a game, I play for hours in a row, so 3-4 wouldn't sit well with me.

I have to ask, if you have played the DS, which one do you like better? DS, or PSP?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Anyone who's not on sony's payroll get their hands on one of these things? BB's entire post sounded a lot like Game Informer's article on the device, to me.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Anyone who's not on sony's payroll get their hands on one of these things? BB's entire post sounded a lot like Game Informer's article on the device, to me.

Ah... sadly, I don't work for Sony (or for anyone, actually), nor have I read more than one issue of Game Informer. And VV is a company dedicated to making GBA games, so there's no bias from that end, either.

Shade32: I've only played both handhelds for a few minutes, so I can't decide on which is better until I spend some quality time with good games. The PSP controls better, though the DS has excellent aiming for FPS games if the Metroid demo is any indication. The PSP has more potential though, in the sense that it's better suited for 3D games, both from a graphical and a controlling standpoint. Super Mario DS has already proven to be annoying to control with either the D-pad or touch screen, so we'll just have to wait for a 3D platform/action game for the PSP to start comparing... like Death Jr or Ape Escape. My advice? Skip the handhelds for a full generation, unless there's a game in that period that you really want to have and play. Partly because the PSP will launch with a million flaws, and developers won't know what to do with the DS dual screens.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Big Boss]I just got Mario 64 DS today. It was hard to play at first, but once I got used to the D-Pad, and controlling the characters with the touchscreen, it was very easy.

As for the PSP, the only thing that needs to be done for it to sell well is for Sony to fix all of the supposed faults before U.S launch. Like, the analog stick coming off, UMD's falling out, etc.

Posted by Speedfreak

And some good games, surely? The best selling Japanese game is Golf for God's sake.

Posted by Shade

It will have some good games. Ridge Racer is supposed to be awesome. And Death Jr. looks really cool. I'm not overly concerned with the PSP's games, as I will not buy one.

Of course it is Speedy! Who doesn't like Hot Shot's Golf!

Posted by Speedfreak

....it's Golf, Mario Golf barely holds my interest! Ridge Racer kinda sucks, by the way. That is, if it does that "I'll powerslide for you!" thing the DS version does. I think I read in a review it did anyway, at any rate a single arcade racer isn't enough for me. I'd want...oh...something of Resident Evil 4 quality on the machine. I can't trust Sony with providing me with awesome games as I can Nintendo.

Posted by Shade

But as for the Ridge Racer sucking, neither you, nor I can make that accusation. As we have not played it. So let's stop it there.

Anyway, Sony has come out with quality games. Maybe not as many as Nintendo, but they have. Well, not Sony themselves, but company's that make games exclusively for Sony.

As not many future games for the PSP have been announced yet, we still basically don't know what we're talking about. If you're talking about trusting a company on a handheld basis, then I'll always go with Nintendo.

Yes, I'm aware that that made no sense. I'm a little tired right now.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm talking about trusting them on a game basis, I can trust Nintendo to make games I like far more than I can trust Sony, as Sony make a whopping zero games I really care about.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that short of completing the game, there's not really any other way to find out if I like it other than a review. A rent is barely enough time to get aquainted with a game, as pretty much ANY game can be enjoyable for that amount of time. Honestly, though, you KNOW you don't like Superman 64, you don't ever need to play a game to decide if you like it or not.

Posted by Shade

Sometimes you do need to play a game to like it. Like I pretty much thought that Madden stunk, until I actually played it.

Oh, no! Post number 911! Taboo!

I'm still just amused that ken kutaragi's response to "The square button doesn't work on your system!" was "That's how it's designed to work. Look how pretty the device is!"

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm appalled, frankly. I'm seriously hoping it's a translation issue, I honestly can't imagine someone that high up being THAT stupid.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

On what planet is a 3-4 hour battery life "just fine"? If I get really into a game, I'd kill six pairs a week with that! I'd kill less than half that with my GBA, and that's using batteries that haven't enough energy to power my digital camera anymore.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Prince Shondronai: I'm still just amused that ken kutaragi's response to "The square button doesn't work on your system!" was "That's how it's designed to work. Look how pretty the device is!"

He actually said that? WOW. I mean, come on! "Look how pretty the device is!", I have less respect for him now.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Prince Shondronai: I'm still just amused that ken kutaragi's response to "The square button doesn't work on your system!" was "That's how it's designed to work. Look how pretty the device is!"

The fact that he says it's "something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to" makes me go :dunno:.

No, I was rephrasing his own equally stupid response, Shade32. He didn't say it in as simple of terms, but that's essentially what he was saying.

Posted by Shade

Oh, that's good. Becuase if he really did say tha, I'd shoot him. Hmph, pretty my *ss.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Admiral Anthrax]On what planet is a 3-4 hour battery life "just fine"? If I get really into a game, I'd kill six pairs a week with that! I'd kill less than half that with my GBA, and that's using batteries that haven't enough energy to power my digital camera anymore.

"The button's location is [architectured] on purpose," Kutaragi added. "It's according to specifications. This is something that we've created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake."

Offering additional testimony praising the handheld, Kutaragi said, "I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."

Who knew Kutaragi had the Yamauchi syndrome?

Posted by Bebop

[quote=Big Boss]In a planet where there are power outlets, like Earth. It'd only be an issue in the unlikely event that you want to play a game for a long time and won't have electricity anywhere nearby for a long while. In that case, then you probably shouldn't be cam***g but instead be locked in your room playing, but that's just me.

Outlets are no good for portablility. One time I've really had to milk the GBA's battery life for all it was worth was on a flight to America. An overnight day and long car journeys flew past as I gamed away. Unfortuntely if I had a PSP I might have had to watch the terrible in flight movies.

Posted by Speedfreak

He really did say that, though. What he said boils down to "This is how we made it, it's not a manufacturing error, people will just have to get used to it. I think it is the most beautiful thing in the world".

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Big Boss]and won't have electricity anywhere nearby for a long while. In that case, then you probably shouldn't be cam***g but instead be locked in your room playing, but that's just me.

Then again, I'm biased against handheld games. The GBA has about a 1:100 good/crap game ratio, I play the few ones I like on the Game Boy Player, and none of them are better than the good console games, in my view. Going through the third-party catalog of GBA games is like going to a strip club and shoving your hands down the toilet in the restroom. Too many rehashes leaves only a few games worthy of play, so I don't have a craving to play a handheld game on handheld for more than half an hour at very separate times.
[/color]

Handhelds are meant to be played ON THE GO. In other words, not sitting in your house with a plug hooked up to it! If that is your modus operandi, buy a home console! First you say 3-4 hours are fine, and then you imply that the system should be played with a plug in it, which unless you have one of those luxury cars that has household style plugs in it, makes zero sense. On long road trips, or treks through the mall and other various errands with kids, yes, it IS an issue. If parents are driving from south Florida to a mountain trip to Georgia, then I'm sure they'd rather by one set of batteries for the kid's Game Boy, instead of having to buy three sets. This goes double, triple, etc, depending on how many kids they have, and if they all have handhelds. And if I'm on a road trip and need a way to keep busy, I'd rather not have my batteries die on me in a few hours.

Personally, I find that some of my favorite games of all-time are either Game Boy Color or Game Boy Advance titles. Battery life especially matters when Sony starts being idiots and putting power restrictions on developers instead of fixing their own hardware LIKE THEY SHOULD.

Posted by Prince Redon

Hands-On the PSP? If I were you I would keep my hands away from that thing until Sony finishes working on it...I hope they are able to fix it in time...I a really looking foward to it.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quote:
Nearly 5,000 units are returned to Sony for buggy button; Kutaragi unapologetic about the handheld's design.

TOKYO--About 4,800 Japanese PSPs have been returned to Sony due to problems with the handheld's square button, according to a recent interview with Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi in Nikkei Business magazine.

Kutaragi acknowledged that the button is less responsive than the others, in part because it's so close to the PSP's 480x272 screen. Because there isn't enough room to put the square button's detection switch directly underneath, it's off to the right, making it less responsive--and sometimes causing it to stick.

Nikkei Business reported that, to date, .6 percent of the 800,000 shipped units have been returned to Sony for repair. Kutaragi was unapologetic about the issue: "This is the design that we came up with. There may be people that complain about its usability, but that's something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to. I didn't want the PSP's LCD screen to become any smaller than this, nor did I want its machine body to become any larger.

"The button's location is [architectured] on purpose," Kutaragi added. "It's according to specifications. This is something that we've created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake."

Offering additional testimony praising the handheld, Kutaragi said, "I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hell! Unapologetic?! Does he already think he owns the handheld market?
If I were him I would be kissing their feet because one thing I have learned is that word of mouth is still very powerful and I never have been very excited over a system that my friend said

"Hey, you know that new system I got. Well Guess what! One of the most important buttons doesnt even work!"

But to be fair I can understand why this would happen and it shouldent get so many marks against it. It is just an honest mistake.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's not an honest mistake at all, they did it on PURPOSE, he said so.

Posted by TendoAddict

Oh Really?

well then ,

Now he's just a basterd.

Posted by =/g0ri11@\=

Look, I'm no Sony or Nintendo fanboy, but I don't know what every one is talking about. First off theres a bunch of good PSP games coming out, one that I know every one admitts they would want is that Grand Theft Auto has been confirmed for the PSP. and also a new RPG with 4 pllayer wireless co-op called Untold Legends BrotherHood of The Blade, and to name a couple more, Deathjr.,Coded Arms,Lumines (looks cool to me), ape escape, RenGoku, Metal Gear Acid (even though its a card battle game), KOTOR Revenge of the sith (its for both DS and PSP but im sure the experience will be better on PSP). and to tell you the truth, theres no DS games that look good. Litteraly none look good, I mean yeah mariokart could be cool and metroid but no other games look cool they look crap.

Posted by Scorpion

Sorry, I have to burst your bubble, not everyone wants GTA. I know I sure don't, those games are so repetitive, just a few more whistles and bells. Also KotOR seemed to be the worst game ever to me, you have to freaking tell it what you want to do instead of pressing a button to punch. That being said it seems like it would be better on the DS because you will probably be able to use the touch screen to tell it the commands. You can't name games no one has heard of, give some discriptions included with those games you listed. And a game so great as MGS should not be card based. Also a bunch of DS games do look good. For instance I have Super Mario 64 DS and it is fun as anything. Also Madden 2005 may have bad graphics but it is still fun as a normal console version. Also Wario Ware looks fun, and what REALLY looks fun is Dynasty Warriors for the DS(yes I know it is coming out for both systems). So back up what you say with facts, and you do sound a lot like a Sony fanboy.

PS. I'm no Nintendo fanboy, I own a PS2 and think it is the best console out right now.

Posted by =/g0ri11@\=

ok, so grand theft auto may get repetitive after oh, i dunno a year of playing. but if you want to talk about repetitiveness lets talk about mario 64 ds, all i have to say is, i hate that game at first i was like "oh yeah this is cool" after a couple days i was getting headaches because all of the leveks are exactly the same they just look different but feel the same and the new characters are dumb mind as well just be luigi becuase hes the best and the minigames are ok, id rather play the minigames then play the story but you have to get the bunnies any way so i have to play the story,and you want a description? ok, Coded arems is an fps that looks awesome and its like a sifi horror shoot em up alien game, untold legends is and rpg where you lv up and there 102 randomly generated levels!!
and if you really like a certain level for any reason you can save that level, go back and it will be different EVERY SINGLE TIME! so it will be the level you liked but the monsters will be placed differently and the pathways will be chabnged so it will be different, and one of the collest things about it is the WiFi 4 player co-op and say im lv 30 and your lv 20, each time you go to a level it calibrates you and your teammates lvs so the monsters are equally as hard for both of you. and the graphics are simply amazing. there, is that a good enough description for you?

Posted by Scorpion

No, that was a horrible description, you just named the games features. You didn't mention anything of gameplay or story line. And all you said about Coded Arms was that you shot aliens, lots of games are about shooting aliens and they can be wildy different. So no you still gave no real info about the game. And that was your opinion on Mario, I have had this game for a couple weeks and I love it still. I even owned the N64 version and beat it and I don't find this one boring. And Luigi isn't the best character, it is your opinion, for instance I think that Wario is the best because although he can't jump(just use backflip) he can take more hits and kill enemies quicker. So you still need to back up your OPINION with facts.

Posted by Serenade

I've heard some complaints about the PSP's low battery life myself, and if they plan on putting some FF titles on the PSP, then three to four hours of playtime just won't cut it. I grew up with Nintendo, but I'm not a Nintendo Nazi like some of the kids at my school. It's such a shame when kids don't appreciate a good game just because it's from Sony. Such is life, I suppose...

Posted by =/g0ri11@\=

ok, in coded arms your this guy (name not chosen yet) and your at this virtual reality game arcade, so this man decides he wants to play a game called Coded Arms. But once he got in the game something went wrong with the machine and you have to beat the game for you to get out.so while your playiing the game everything is in a cool digital type view like you download new weapons and it takes place in like 2078 or somthing around that time. As for Untold Legends the story takes place as you (you choose the name) and you live in the city of Aven. One day your sitting in a bar and some weird stuff starts to happen, spiders are coming out of the sewers and befor you know it you have to clear the bar of some spiders. so then you begin to try and get recognised by the city council by going aroound and doing qwests, and then they tell you to investigate the sewers and you start to find out about this grooup of four people called the brother hood of the blade. So twoards the end of the game (which will take a while) you start to find that Aven is built over a misterious structure (hint:an untold legend) and you start to find out what thats all about. oh and in the description i forgot to say that this game will contain real time lighting,shadows, and time of day so it reactes to the time your PSP is set on. There now are you satisfied?

Posted by Scorpion

Well, those were some good descriptions. From those I think that Coded Arms seems like it will be a good game, however Untold Legends just seems a bit too weird for my taste.

Posted by =/g0ri11@\=

Yeah, I can understand why that would be a little weird for some poeple. But yeah Coded arms looks pretty awesome, go check out some videos for it. at gamespot.

Posted by boomstick

The biggest turn off for me about the PSP is price.

EBGames has a good package deal, it's a PSP, memory stick and two games of your choosing for, like $250.

But still, the games by themselves are going to be $49.99, the same price as console games, it just seems like a bit too much to me and if it's anything that kills the PSP, it'll be price.

To me, the PSP has a better lineup than the DS by, honestly, a wide margin, I've found little I like on the DS and see little in the horizion, where as the PSP has several games that have caught my attention. Ridge Racer, Coded Arms, Need For Speed Rivals, Dark Stalkers Chronicles, Lumines and Metal Gear Acid.

If I buy it, I won't until 2006, at the latest, I have absolutely no intentions of buying any new gaming systems in 2005.

Posted by Big Boss

And here are details on PSP's launch:

[quote]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/03/news_6117815.html

PSP launching March 24

Single-SKU $249 "Value Pack" to include 32MB Memory Stick Duo; 24 games confirmed for launch, including Need for Speed Rivals, Metal Gear Acid, and Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix.

After months of saying the PSP will "probably" launch in March, Sony Computer Entertainment America has finally set the launch date for its entry into the handheld wars. This morning, the electronics giant announced that its eagerly awaited handheld game system will go on sale in North America on March 24.

Click Here.

While the PSP's ship date fell inside previously announced release parameters, its price was higher than expected. Sony will only sell the PSP as part of a single-SKU "Value Pack" for $249 in the US, CDN$299 in Canada. The new price point is $50 higher than the $199 many industry analysts predicted; that was based on the PSP's Japanese MSRP of 19,800 yen (approximately $185).

Besides the PSP unit itself, the Value Pack will include a 32 MB Memory Stick Duo (which usually retails from $24.99-$39.99 solo), headphones with remote control, a battery pack, AC adapter, soft case and cleaning cloth, and a UMD disc with game-demo movies and a music and video sampler. As an incentive for early adopters, Sony will include a free UMD copy of the blockbuster superhero film Spider-Man 2 with the first one million PSP Value Packs shipped.

More importantly for gamers, Sony today confirmed the launch-title lineup for the PSP, all of which will go on sale during the PSP's unspecified "launch window." "The high profile lineup includes a wide range of products that will appeal to every type of gamer--from the sports fan to the action enthusiast," said SCEA executive vice president Andrew House. While many games were previously announced, some were only confirmed as launch titles today--a full list is below:

Ape Escape: On the Loose, Sony Computer Entertainment America
ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails, SCEA
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, Capcom
Dynasty Warriors, Koei
FIFA 2005, Electronic Arts
Gretzky NHL, SCEA
Lumines, Ubisoft
Metal Gear Acid, Konami
MLB, SCEA
MVP Baseball, EA
NBA, SCEA
NBA Street Showdown, EA
Need for Speed Rivals, EA
NFL Street 2 Unleashed, EA
Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory, Konami
Ridge Racer, Namco
Smartbomb, Eidos Interactive
Spider-Man 2, Activision
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR, EA
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Activision
Twisted Metal: Head On, SCEA
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade, Sony Online Entertainment
Wipeout Pure, SCEA
World Tour Soccer, SCEA

Also of note was SCEA's revelation that some PSP games would sell for as little as $39.99, some $10 lower than the standard $49.99 price most retailers list PSP games for. However, the announcement did not specify which games would carry the lower price.

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
POSTED: 02/03/05 09:59 AM PST

Yup, yet another promising kickass launch line-up.

Posted by boomstick

Coded Arms isn't on there, I thought Konami was trying to get that out by PSP launch time, oh well, it's not too bad of a lineup, but by far better than the DS's, IMO.

Posted by =/g0ri11@\=

I believe Coded Arms comes out the 29th of March but I'm not sure.

Posted by Crazy K

The depressing thing is the price. 249.99 up here in the us. And in japan its 50 bucks cheeper. But I guess its because it comes with a bundle back and ****.

I could care less for both DS and PSP. Im not the type of person that could ask my dad for a new system. My dad would say "its so little for that much, ,why bother" I even asked him one time if I can get a game for my GBA but he said "thoughs little games cost that much"

So I dont really care about the DS nore the PSP because I could never aford it. The DS has more to it wile the PSP probably (Looks) has better graphics and controls. Hey If I was rich i would buy both of them and tell you all witch one I think is better. And I dont think thats happening anytime soon.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting boomstick: The biggest turn off for me about the PSP is price.

EBGames has a good package deal, it's a PSP, memory stick and two games of your choosing for, like $250.

But still, the games by themselves are going to be $49.99, the same price as console games, it just seems like a bit too much to me and if it's anything that kills the PSP, it'll be price.

To me, the PSP has a better lineup than the DS by, honestly, a wide margin, I've found little I like on the DS and see little in the horizion, where as the PSP has several games that have caught my attention. Ridge Racer, Coded Arms, Need For Speed Rivals, Dark Stalkers Chronicles, Lumines and Metal Gear Acid.

If I buy it, I won't until 2006, at the latest, I have absolutely no intentions of buying any new gaming systems in 2005.

That's no surprise, DS had a terrible launch line-up, the console is plainly rushed. Thank God Nintendo have handheld experience, and there's quite a few decent DS titles coming out pretty soon.

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

Big boss, are you being serious, or sarcastic? I see 3 games on that list that interest me =S.

Posted by G-Sides

You know, it is possible that his opinions on games just might be different from yours. :-\

Posted by Bebop

None of the PSP games appeal to me. I'm no sports game fan so thats the majority out fo the window. The otehr games such as Need For Speed, Wipeout, Dynstay Warriors and Darkstalkers don't appeal to me either. Metal Gear looks interesting however I despise card based games. So no. Alas, nothing here that grabs my attetnin at all. perhpas in the future I'll see something.

Posted by nondetfinaut

Hey-

Check out this great site that is giving away totally FREE iPods!

It's a completely legitimate offer, and this company has already given away $4 million in FREE stuff!

All you have to do is join, complete an online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it!

Here is my referral link. To help me get my iPod, click this exact link to join, or copy and paste it into a browser:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=14781682

Posted by Prince Redon

[color=deeskyblue]Those are always rip offs and never are really what they seem. Remember, nothing in life is free. [/color]

Quoting Bebop: None of the PSP games appeal to me. I'm no sports game fan so thats the majority out fo the window. The otehr games such as Need For Speed, Wipeout, Dynstay Warriors and Darkstalkers don't appeal to me either. Metal Gear looks interesting however I despise card based games. So no. Alas, nothing here that grabs my attetnin at all. perhpas in the future I'll see something.

I concur, I havn't seen alot of games for the PSP that interest me either, yet another reason I bought a DS, to bad it was stolen.:(

Posted by Ant

Well, the important thing is that all the games on that list appeal to those who have a PS2 and love it. You know what kinda games I'm talking about people...