Text Based RPG's

Posted by The Punisher

Has anyone played any realy popular text based roleplaying games online or offline in awhile? I use to play a lot, but I havent played in a long time.

Posted by Klarth

I remember having a game for my C64 called "Adventure". It began "you are standing in FIELD. What will you do? Type "hexellp" for help."

Posted by The Punisher

Whoa. Was it realy open or did you have a set amount of choices you could use?

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I've tried out the Wheel of Time one online, and although I could see it being fun for awhile, I'll most likely never be playing it again.

Posted by The Punisher

Can you send me a link or somthing to it?

http://www.wotmud.org/

Posted by The Punisher

It looks ok. Ive been thinking about running a text based RPG just the thing is most of the time they either never start off, or they do and end up flopping out.

You also have to know how to program it and host it etc. :)

Posted by The Punisher

You know of any good sites that can teach me or is it HTML. If its just html im pretty good at it.

Posted by Spin

Google? :S

Posted by The Punisher

Ok but is it just HTML or do I have to go into C+ and Java. Im willing to do both, but I would like to know.

It's going to be a lot more than html. It also will be a lot of work, and cost a fair bit of money if it actually turns out good and people enjoy it, so if you have time to spare, as well as money, start doing a lot of research.

Posted by The Punisher

Ok. See I am like most of you only not cool. I play bass all day, and at night I don

Heh, I don't have extensive knowledge concerning the subject, nor do I have the time or money to spend on it. But doing a general google search should get you started. And once you know some basic things, perhaps find a forum where you can generate better questions that people are willing to answer.

Posted by Stalolin

C# could code a Text based program easily. And C# isn't terribly difficult to learn (At least how I'm learning it). It'll be rather hard to make the whole program though, I'd assume that many online text RPGs aren't made by one person.

Posted by The Punisher

Yeah I have a crack team. Me and a guy named Dan. Thats about it. Last night I started working on C+ and the basic Story Idea.

Posted by Nickd009

I played a game called pimp quest but you can'yt play it anymore it was like banned frof the internet or something. ^_^

Posted by The Punisher

Banned from the internet... Impossible, the Internet is the biggest tool of freedom of speach and has barely any limits, besides a few wich realy should be there.

Someone ban Nickd009 from the internet plz.

Posted by Echo

I've played Zork, and that's about it. But Zork is really good. Just get a guide to get you through the mazes, because text based RPGs should NOT have mazes.

Posted by project101

Can I get like a link for Zork or what ever

Posted by The Punisher

Google it.