From Russia With Love

Posted by Klarth

This one looks great. Yeah, I know, EA, it'll never be Goldeneye and all that, but I think it's worth a look before the sixth-gen consoles are phased out.

Thoughts?

Posted by loony636

It looks alright, but there are no real reviews out on it yet. I'll give the advice that I do to all people I talk to who are thinking of buying games: Try before you buy. If you buy the game and dislike it, you are stuck with a AUS$100 game that you don't want. You can always sell it, but you're going to lose money. Rent it from somewhere and play it. If you really like it, then buy it. If you don't like it when you rent it, and decide not to buy it, you have saved yourself $100.

But aside from that, here's some good info on the game:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/fromrussiawithlove/index.html

There's pictures, previews, movies, everything you need to know about the game, everything you CAN know about the game without actually playing it.

Posted by Random

Well personally I loved the Movie. I love all the 007 movies. Though I probably won't pickup the GC version I do think i'm gonna purchase this game. My favorite Bond (Sean Connory) was in "From Russia with Love" so it'll be interesting. Maybe i'll see if I can finish it off in a rental first and see if it's worth purchasing. The only 007 game i've found worth purchasing is Goldeneye for the N64.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Well personally I loved the Movie. I love all the 007 movies. Though I probably won't pickup the GC version I do think i'm gonna purchase this game. My favorite Bond (Sean Connory) was in "From Russia with Love" so it'll be interesting. Maybe i'll see if I can finish it off in a rental first and see if it's worth purchasing. The only 007 game i've found worth purchasing is Goldeneye for the N64.

If you learn one thing from EA developed games, ALWAYS rent before buying, it's almost academic by now.

Posted by Dexter

I get these games regularly. I've gone through them all and they have enjoyable moments. I like to observe them getting better and better, although not that much better. I don't even bother comparing them to the genius of Goldeneye 007. They are satisfying little adventures for me to indulge myself into, but they'll never mean much. The multiplayer gives them some replay value. They probably are better to rent, but I usually find them for about 10 dollars after they've been around for about a month, so it is worth it to me.

Posted by ExoXile

I don't like EA at all.

But this looks pretty good.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

There are far better Bond movies to base a FPS on than From Russia With Love.

Heck, Living Daylights would be better and that was a Dalton one. Moonraker, You Only Live Twice, Dr No, For Your Eyes Only and On Her Majesty's Secret Service all have better movie to game compatability. Though, Agent Under Fire was fairly "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" like.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Meh, I tend to skip over Bond games these days, so I haven't been keeping track of this one. Maybe I'll check it out once some reviews come in, otherwise I'm not really that interested.

Posted by Klarth

[quote]Moonraker
Bahahahaha. Terrible film, but it'd probably make a half-decent game.

[quote]Agent Under Fire
Was pretty bad.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Quoting Klarth: Bahahahaha. Terrible film, but it'd probably make a half-decent game.

Was pretty bad.

I didn't say they'd have been or will ever be good games, I was saying that if they're going to suck they should at least try harder.:D

Posted by ExoXile

007 GoldenEye was the only true Bond game :(

Posted by Zyne

While most of the bond games suck, with the exception of Goldeneye, this game gets major points for starring Sean Connery. Pierce Brosnan imo could never live up to Connery's portrayal of Bond.

Posted by Oforia

[COLOR=white][FONT=Verdana]This game looks interesting. Probably wont buy it unless it really surprises[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] me.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Posted by loony636

Gamespot.com hasn't rated it yet, because if was only released for the gamecube on the 15th of November, 15 days after it was released for the other consoles. I have a bad feeling about this....

Anyway, the game got a 7/10 for the other consoles, which is kinda pitiful compared to the other 007 games. If your looking for a decent multiplayer 007 game, go Nightfire, for an excellent multiplayer, go Everything or Nothing. The single player in Nightfire is okay but in Everything or Nothing you have to play cooperative in order to unlock multiplayer maps.

I managed to pick up Nightfire off ebay (perfect condition) for AU$17.19. The going price on ebay for Everything or Nothing is about $AU35-$AU40. So for about $US44, you can pick up both of those games which are much better than FRWL, for about half the price (depending on where you get it).

For comparison, 007 Goldeneye (the earlier one) got 9.8/10, the later one got 6.3/10. That makes it the worst 007 game yet (according to Gamespot, other people may have different opinions of the game).

So basically, if you can't be stuffed reading all of that, Nightfire and Everything or Nothing rule, everything else sucks, and definately DON'T go out and buy From Russia with Love.

Posted by Klarth

Figures. If I ever get around to modding my Gamecube... I'm sure there'll be an ISO up soon.

Posted by sniperwolf128

i got this game a few days after it was out i think it is a great game the graphics are sweet and the gameplay works well. The jetpack part on the first mission is great. the review have given this ok scores but i like it. Goldeneye is still the best by far.