Super Mario RPG

Posted by The Punisher

Anyone currently playing this game? I am and this is my first time, its the best game for SNES I think ive ever played. Its so awsome. Anyways any disscussion on it?

Posted by Xero

Sure...I completed the game like 3 times. I enjoyed playing it. My team was Mario, bowser and mallow. I dont take geno, cuz his defence is low. Valentina was the funniest boos to beat and her dungeon was cool.

Posted by Water Adept Mia

My b/f has that game, but I never really got to play it. Is it really that good?

Posted by VicE

Yes, it is. :) Much more like your typical SNES-style RPG than the Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi games (which are more like your typical Mario games with a few RPG twists thrown in) are. Awesome graphics and soundtrack, some really memorable characters (who sadly haven't appeared in any other Mario game since) and a pretty darn funny script to boot. It's the first RPG I ever really got hooked on and it's still one of my top two or three favorite games ever.

Posted by Klarth

One of the better things Square did back in the day. I loved the platforming elements.

And the Culex cameo. I think that scene was what got me playing Final Fantasy. :)

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

I strongly suggest you search for this game. It may be hard to find but once/ if you find it you'll be happy. It's a great game :D

Posted by Wicked Sushi

It's a great game. I finished it a few times years ago; I even wrote a basic walkthrough for it in Hungarian. I just love the amount of secrets and gameplay SquareSoft has stuffed into the little cartridge.

Quoting The Punisher: its the best game for SNES I think ive ever played.

Ever played Earthbound? :D

Quoting VirtualRealityZone: I strongly suggest you search for this game. It may be hard to find but once/ if you find it you'll be happy. It's a great game :D

What he said.

Posted by Outlaw

great game. Alot better than its sequels (Paper Mario 1 & 2). Mario & Luigi was the only one in my op that lived up to Super Mario RPG. I'm glad nintendo and square colaborated in making this game come to life in a way that we've never seen before. Those were the days..

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I concur that it's the best game on that system. I must've beaten it about 3 times, and i'm actually thinking about replaying again soon. Geno was one of the coolest video game characters who'll hopefully make a return, someday.

By the way, the Axem Rangers were an awesome parody of the Power Rangers.[/COLOR]

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I downloaded an emulator last week with mario RPG. I can now play A couple of SNES games on my PC without having to buy a SNES on Ebay (because it's the only place where I can still find one...)

I was really enjoying playing the game again, until I got to Bean valley, where I couldn't climb the vines to Nimbus Land with my keyboard. I thought it sucked to have gotten so far to stop there, seeing as Valentina was my favorite boss. Good memories. Does anyone still play the game?[/COLOR]

Posted by Proto Man

I would still play it if I actually had it. Unfortunately, anymore it costs almost an arm and a leg to get a copy. I WILL get one though eventually when I save enough money to get it.

I had so much fun playing that game, I spent HOURS playing it trying to beat it. I never actually have beaten it before though. Tis one of my many goals. I wish Ninty and Square/Enix would collaborate to make another game like it.

Posted by Zeta

Xero, you should be perfectly capable of getting up to Nimbus Land with a keyboard. Really, the only time a keyboard can give trouble with roms is that input code for one of the 2300 A.D. domes in Chrono Trigger.

Has anyone ever managed to get 100 Super Jumps, or even 30?

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Zeta: Xero, you should be perfectly capable of getting up to Nimbus Land with a keyboard. Really, the only time a keyboard can give trouble with roms is that input code for one of the 2300 A.D. domes in Chrono Trigger.

Has anyone ever managed to get 100 Super Jumps, or even 30?

I got 30 jumps.

Posted by Zeta

****, I can only get like 13. :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Zeta: Xero, you should be perfectly capable of getting up to Nimbus Land with a keyboard. Really, the only time a keyboard can give trouble with roms is that input code for one of the 2300 A.D. domes in Chrono Trigger.

Nimbus Land requires you to do a diagonal jump, which, on the SNES pad, would have needed Up, Left, and Jump. Most conventional keyboards only allowed for two keys to be pressed at the same time instantaneously.

I learned this the hard way from Street Fighter II.

Super Mario RPG is awesome, and I'd gladly spend over 9000 Wii Points to have it in my Virtual Console library. Unlikely though, since it's never retailed in Europe...

:(

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Zeta: ****, I can only get like 13. :(

Doing 30 jumps only gets you the Attack Scarf, but the real prize is the Super Suit, which you get with 100 jumps.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Zeta: No seriously. I tried about 100 times and I can only press 2 keys at the same time. I tried jumping in one direction then quickly pressing another direction, but it just doesn't work. I don't even touch the blue vine. You guys need to tell me how you managed to touch it, cuz I tried every place on the orange vine and I just don't get it.

Monstro town quests: I got the key for the belome treasure room, the 3 flags and I'm one fight away from getting the Jinx belt. I tried to get the scarf, but unfortunatly, like Zeta, I only made 13 jumps. More than that, it doesn't work. Mario stops. What's the trick?[/COLOR]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Xero: [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Zeta: No seriously. I tried about 100 times and I can only press 2 keys at the same time. I tried jumping in one direction then quickly pressing another direction, but it just doesn't work. I don't even touch the blue vine. You guys need to tell me how you managed to touch it, cuz I tried every place on the orange vine and I just don't get it.[/COLOR]

You'll have to make sure your emulator can use macros, then simply assign something like Up + Right to a key and press it in combination with the jump key.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Hmm...I'm feelin' a bit odd there, but I don't even know how to put 2 keys together. That would help for sure. If I press "R", mario goes straight ahead, buy if I press "Y", which makes mario go faster, therefore bigger jumps with "B" (to jump) and "R", it doesn't work.

So just tell me how to make those macro key thingy and I'll try again. :)

Sorry for my ignorance :([/COLOR]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Xero: [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]So just tell me how to make those macro key thingy and I'll try again. :)

Sorry for my ignorance :([/COLOR]

Well, just Google your emulator and 'marcos' and it'll probably give you a guide relatively easily. If not, poke around in your emulator's tools menu. If not again, come back here.

Posted by Xero

Quoting The X: Well, just Google your emulator and 'marcos' and it'll probably give you a guide relatively easily. If not, poke around in your emulator's tools menu. If not again, come back here.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Will do. Unfortunatly, for...job reasons, I won't be able to play this coming week end. Can't test it before 3 weeks now. :([/COLOR]

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I sorry for double posting, but there is something else I wanna discuss about:

I noticed that my team does not need high levels to get to the final boss. I'm at level 20 and I'm already 70% done in the game. In FF 1, for example, I was level 99 and I still couldn't beat Khaos unless I was lucky enough to get melee attacks rather than magic attacks. In Mario RPG, I'm at level 20 (yeah I said that already) and Bowser has the most HP: 167/167. At level 99, it could probably go up to 750...about. Pretty easy no?[/COLOR]

Posted by Zeta

30 is the max level in SMRPG...

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Is it? Lol I forgot about that...[/COLOR]

Posted by Creedence

I've played this game. It was... different.. but good none the less. I recomend you get this game for an emmulator, and if you don't have an emmulator, get Zsnes. Its the best one. Also get Star Fox 2 and the translation patch.

Happy gaming xD

Whyed i get an infraction, who hates me?

Posted by Raptor

There is no way I could possibly enjoy a game this magnificent on an emulator, which is why I own it in cartridge form. And I can only imagine how difficult some of the many mini-games are to play with anything other than an SNES controller.

Posted by Zeta

Nothing's really too hard when playing with a keyboard, except for those "rotate the D-Pad" attacks that some characters have.

Posted by Kit

I played it on an emulator a while back but I didn't do much. I died against that boss in the castle, near the start. And I haven't gotten round to playing it since. I should go on it again.

Posted by Zeta

You lost to Mack the Knife? oh lawd

Posted by Kit

...shut up. :(

If Mack was the springy guy, yeah. :(

Posted by Zeta

But... how? All you need to do is have Mallow spam the timed hit Thunderbolt attack. O_o

Posted by Kit

Timed Hit? oh shi-

I was just using it and it was weeeaak.

Posted by Xero

I lol'd. I never lost against mack. I was killing 3 of the 4...jumpers around him and I would just cast "fire" with mario. Mallow would use maple syrup to reload my flowers. Easy stuff.

I started the entire game again, but this time I kept Geno and Princess Toadstool with me. I'm at bowser's castle again. After I beat that dungeon, I won't go to the factory. I'll get the lazy sheel and the lazy shell armor to fight Culex. He'll be my final boss.

Have you ever won against Culex, Zeta?

Posted by Zeta

Yes. Numerous times. He's not that hard. =/

Posted by Xero

I was told that he runs out of FP before you even get ride of the 4 diamonds. That's odd. But he's probably harder than smithy, so it's a new challenge for me.

Where is the secret passage for the fertilizer exactly? Someone said it was at the top right of Nimbus land and another friend said it was on one of the bean climbing level. :confused:

Posted by Zeta

Nimbus Land. In the town area. Just go to the right edge of town and hold right. At some point Mario should walk off of the cloud on to an invisible path where that Shy Guy gardener is.

Posted by Xero

Alright so the top right...

Just to make sure...that's right beside the house where Croco gives you that ring for the secret chests right?

Posted by Zeta

Yeah. Somewhere around there.

Posted by Xero

Alright. Thanx a lot. (I would rep you for your help, but eh...just repped you ;))

Once I'll have those 2 peices of equipment, I'll get the frying pan for Princess. I forgot where it was, but it just came back to me that it was at Moleville. I'll get it when I go get the Shiny Stone as well. :)

Posted by Proto Man

I want this game so bad.... will someone sell it to me? :)

Posted by Xero

That or check out Ebay. They probably sell it with the console.

Posted by Proto Man

bah, I already have a console. My original one wayyyy back from 15 years ago!

Anyways... this is one of the few Mario games I have not beaten. My cousin, and little brother have though.

Posted by Xero

You did not beat it? Why? Because it was too hard or because you didn't have the time?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Xero: You did not beat it? Why? Because it was too hard or because you didn't have the time?

I just never had the game. I mean I rented it a bunch of times, but I never made it to the end.

Posted by Zeta

Well, you could rom it. You'd have some difficulty with the 'rotate the control pad' attacks, but it's better than nothing, I guess. >_>

Posted by Desperado

I just love the fantasy feel this game had, maybe its just the child in me or something. But back in the Snes days, i dunno...its like those kinda games made you feel as if you part of them. When I first played Super Mario RPG, the same thought came 2 me..."Wow, i'm going on another great adventure, im escapin the world again"

Its been the same for other 16bit titles like Starfox, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Final Fight 3, Demons Crest, Megaman X2....its like it never ends

Posted by Xero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKgT-hwWjE

Owned :)