Megaman 3

Posted by Fei-on Castor

The first Megaman game that I played was Megaman 3, back in 1991.

We learned a cool secret too, about gaining invincibility.

When you're in any level, if right is being pushed down on the d-pad of the controller plugged into the 2nd player slot, you can fall down holes and not die, and you can jump super high (higher than RC can launch you)

Sometimes, while in the hole, your life will drain to nothing, but you can still jump out of the hole and play the level, but with no life, therefore, no life to lose, therefore, invincible.

The only trouble is that you can't shoot. But you can call RC whenever you want, and your power for it doesn't decrease if you never actually jump on him.

My question to you all is this:

Do you know how this invincibility trick happens? I can get it to happen, but I'm not sure what triggers it. It usually just happens while I'm in a hole. I've noticed that if you quickly fall into the first hole in Spark Man's level, you almost always get it.

Posted by Minesweeper

*makes note of the trick and flees* [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/LovelyConcerto/Smilies3/icon_ninja.gif[/IMG]

I don't know how it happens, though. It's probably just a matter of confusing the game into thinking you've done something you haven't, or that something isn't happening when it really is. It could also be some kind of cheat used by... I dunno, whoever was testing it, or making it, maybe. Y'know, so they could check the whole level without actually having to play it. I heard somewhere that that happens sometimes. I could be WAY wrong, though. <<;;

Posted by Stalolin

There's a way to freeze characters in the game as well. Don't remember it right now but some combination on controller two allows you to stop Robot Masters from moving.

My three guesses on it;

It's a glitch.

It was programmed in as some form of cheat code.

It was something used in the debugging process that they forgot to take out.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Stalolin: It was programmed in as some form of cheat code.

This sounds most likely to me. Something like that wouldn't happen by accident.

Posted by Stalolin

Quoting Fei-on: The first Megaman game that I played was Megaman 3, back in 1991.

We learned a cool secret too, about gaining invincibility.

When you're in any level, if right is being pushed down on the d-pad of the controller plugged into the 2nd player slot, you can fall down holes and not die, and you can jump super high (higher than RC can launch you)

Sometimes, while in the hole, your life will drain to nothing, but you can still jump out of the hole and play the level, but with no life, therefore, no life to lose, therefore, invincible.

The only trouble is that you can't shoot. But you can call RC whenever you want, and your power for it doesn't decrease if you never actually jump on him.

My question to you all is this:

Do you know how this invincibility trick happens? I can get it to happen, but I'm not sure what triggers it. It usually just happens while I'm in a hole. I've noticed that if you quickly fall into the first hole in Spark Man's level, you almost always get it.

Oh and I remember I could get the no life thing to trigger on pretty much every level. So I'll agree with Linko, it's unlikely that it's actually a glitch. However, there have never been cheats or codes for any of the other NES Megaman games, so I'm rather skeptical towards that as well. And I don't see Capcom as one to try to toss codes into a game when they hadn't for the first two games. Capcom stuck to a sort of formula for the first six games. They didn't add anything new in except levels, bosses, abilities, and perhaps a more engaging story.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

As well, it doesn't work on Mega Man Anniversery Collection (when plaing MM3 on there).

It only works with the original NES version, which, of course, I own and play all the freaking time.

You can also slow things down by push Up on the 2nd player D-pad, but this is usually to your detriment because when Megaman gets hit, he remains flashing and sliding backwards for a very long time. Of course, you can always just release the "up" button, and he'll come out of it quickly.