Viking Metal

Posted by The Punisher

Anybody out there interested in Viking Metal. Stuff like Bathory(blood, fire, death) Wintersun, Vintersorg, Amon Amarth, Borknagar and Battlelore? There's a lot and its all realy good. Ok i guess Battlelore arent nessicearly Viking Metal, but there Lord of the Rings metal and its close enough lol.

Posted by Richaod

I like some late Bathory (Vinterblot is a great song), but I wasn't really aware that Wintersun, Vintersorg and Borknagar are viking metal. Whatever, I still really like them.

Amon Amarth bore me though.

Posted by The Punisher

Borknagar are more of Philipical Metal, and Wintersun have some viking overtones. Vintersorg, I dont know the lyrics but someone told me that there viking metal.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

This thread needs more Shin-Ra.

Plus, I'm too lazy to type out a list of what I like right now.

Posted by Klarth

Wintersun are viking-ish.

I like Bathory, Turisas and Hammerfall. And Wintersun if you count them.

Posted by Demonizer

The swedish band "Hel" is good :-D

Posted by MetalVox~55

This thread nee--

Quoting Vampiro: This thread needs more Shin-Ra.

--well fu[b][/b]ck.

Posted by Inferno

I love viking metal. I don't know what it is about. Bathory and Vintersorg are both awesome. I haven't listened to much Wintersun though so maybe I'll check them out again.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I don't know what it is about

VIKING metal?

Posted by The Punisher

I just kind of guessed the name was like you know, easy to guess. Yea its about Vikings.

Posted by Shin-Ra

What the ****? I'm the original Viking here, get out!

Anyway, Bathory's great, easily my favorite band of all time. The so-called "Viking" Metal albums were absolutely amazing. The songs "Blood Fire Death", "Under the Runes" (NS inspired, anyone?), "Home of Once Brave", etc are fabulous. I still prefer the Black Metal material though.

Vintersorg's Odemarkens Son and [I]Till Fj

Posted by The Punisher

You truly are a Viking. Im glad to see that VgChat isnt just a bunch of kids who listen to pop. Four years ago when I was in seventh grade and cruised this forum it was a bunch of kids who listined to pop. But yeah im on and off this forum, but this time I plan on staying.

Posted by Poco

So, does anyone else here listen to Viking Metal, or Nordic, or whatever you call it? I'm hoping some people here do, because it kicks ***! I downloaded some songs from the band "Tyr"! Yeah, they'r pretty good! If you get a chance, listen to "How Far to Asgard" or "Hail to the Hammer", both excellent songs!

So, anyone know of any bands that sound like them?

Posted by Klarth

Check out the following:

Ensiferum
Falkenbach
Lumsk (mostly female vocals, but still good)
Wintersun (raw and growly)
Turisas

And I expect Gar to recommend a load more.

Posted by Fragliche

It depends on how heavy it is when it comes to Viking. I'm only a fan of few Viking bands because of how I prefer Classic, Power, Doom and Drone over more "balls-to-the-wall" Death and Black Metal. But the Viking bands I do like are to remember and really give a listen to. These are more of the powerful Epic Viking bands that tell tales.

Moonsorrow, Thyrfing, Ensiferum and Einherjer.

I suggest trying Moonsorrow first, and start with their album Verisäkeet, their most recent album from 2005.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Wow, even I'm getting sick of metal threads. Anyway, *merged*.

Don't take everyone's recommendations, look up the bands for yourself and find something on your own. Oh, and Gjallarhorn's Nordheim album is the closest thing you'll find to Tyr.