Soul Calibur 2

Posted by veritas

I know Soul Calibur 3 is coming out, but I just want to ask what is your favorite character. Mine is Talim. Her moves are fast, powerful. If i get in a combo with her, there is no way u can beat me. Just ask solarphoenix990

Posted by Lord of Spam

Too bad Ivy wont let her get close enough to pull one off.

Ivy is the character I use the most. I liek her mix of power, speed and range. She has several unblockable moves that are quick to charge and very easy to pull off. she also has rediculous range, and several good moves to push enemies back if they get too close.

Second is Nightmare. He has the best blend of speed and power, with most of his moves being suprisingly fast for the damage they deal. He can tke out huge swaths of health with a few well timed hits, though the delay in his moves requirtes good timing adn proper guard breaking technique.

Taki is my third most used character. She is just so fast and agile that she can get away with being weak. She has a variety of moves that either stun of knock the opponent off balance.

Maxi is the character I use when I want someone to feel bad about themselves. The less said about him, the better.

Posted by veritas

now i changed my favorite character. It's Mitsurugi. His moves are so powerful. If you miss and i dodge its over.

Posted by Lord of Spam

No, no it isnt. Misturugi is only midrange powerlevel. His hits can easily be revcovered from. If you want to play a character that ends games in a few hits, turn to Astaroth. If you can get his timign right, he can kill people in as little as 4-5 hits. Just make sure you knwo all about guard impacting if you want to play as him, as you will nine times out of ten be interupted before your move goes off.

Posted by project101

Spawn is my all time favorite character sure some of his attacks are very week and you have to get sorta close to use his weapon but if you get the right moves and combos going he is deh man and his speed is so high and hard to black against ive beaten all my friends with out breaking a sweat using him bc he is so awsome

Posted by Linko_16

I think there's no pride in some characters... I've never played a fighting game with such a huge distinction between the n00bie fighters and fighters that require skill. It's not to say characters like Kilik, Sueng Mina, Ivy, Rapheal, Maxi, et cetera aren't fun to use sometimes, but the users of these characters who walk around like they're hot stuff really burn me up. I blame the mechanics on this, though; the game is so dependent on speed/range that certain characters have a predisposed advantage.

Anyway, at the end of the day, Astaroth's probably not my best... but he sure as hell is the most fun to play as.

Posted by Hyper_chao1122

(Asides from Link) I like to use Talim, Kilik, and Nightmare. Hey, 2fast4u, I know Solarphoenix990 as well. I kick arse has talim.

Posted by The Punisher

Nightmare is my favorite. Im not paticularly good at this game, but Nightmare is my favorite character. He's strong, his names nightmare, and to top it off he is in (K)night Armor.

Posted by Spin

Favourite Noob Character: Maxi (Just hit X and O, practically does the rest for you)
Favourite Hard Character: Ivy (For sure, you can't beat the sword/whip)

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Linko_16: It's not to say characters like Kilik, Sueng Mina, Ivy, Rapheal, Maxi, et cetera aren't fun to use sometimes, but the users of these characters who walk around like they're hot stuff really burn me up.

Those really arent fair examples. In fact, you've listed along with the easiest (Maxi) some of the harder characters to use. And as far as things like range go, Ivy has a rediculous range, but if you know her moves, you can see what she is about to do and either side step or duck/jump when appropriate. The same goes for Astaroth's 1/4 health moves. If you can see them coming, then you have a few seconds to pound him.

There are some characters that it is easy to win with, but you just have to know what to do to get around them.

Posted by Barrysun

1. Link cause of his cool signture moves and weapons. *the Megatron hammer and great fairy sword are really fun* and his throws are one-hit OK when you are near the edge. (and why I bought the game)

2.Talem- her mix of speed and power are really powerful. let her use soul callibar and she's going to rock your world

close

Rapheal- his rapper skills are really quick and can lay the smack down on many enemies.

Kilik- the duel staff is one of the best long weapons in the game and his swinging combo is also killer if used right

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Lord of Spam: Those really arent fair examples. In fact, you've listed along with the easiest (Maxi) some of the harder characters to use. And as far as things like range go, Ivy has a rediculous range, but if you know her moves, you can see what she is about to do and either side step or duck/jump when appropriate. The same goes for Astaroth's 1/4 health moves. If you can see them coming, then you have a few seconds to pound him.

There are some characters that it is easy to win with, but you just have to know what to do to get around them.

I maintain that, while maybe some of the characters mentioned have more depth than button-pushes can discover, they're still an uppity n00b's best friends. As for Astaroth, seeing anything coming from him is no great feat.

Posted by kenshindude

the best characters are voldo, yoshimitsu and spawn no doubt becasue their all kinda fast and have the coolest moves.

Posted by veritas

just because their moves are cool, does'nt mean they're powerful.

Posted by bustedxup

no body can touch me when i use Kilik. NOBODY!

Posted by veritas

Maybe because he has a fifty foot pole!!!

The name's Mitsurugi, remember it!!!

Posted by bustedxup

Yeah i also have mad skills On that game

Posted by veritas

It doesnt take much skill to use Kilik

Posted by bustedxup

Thats not true because when i first started i got killed by nightmare a lot.

Posted by veritas

I hate nightmare. He's so slow, but when he hits you it takes out a lot of damage.But I hate Ivy the most. She is so annoying. Her stupid rose whip. It hits you from like 30 feet away.

Posted by bustedxup

Quoting 2fast4u: I hate nightmare. He's so slow, but when he hits you it takes out a lot of damage.But I hate Ivy the most. She is so annoying. Her stupid rose whip. It hits you from like 30 feet away.

you siad it man she ****es me so much.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Linko_16: It's not to say characters like Kilik, Sueng Mina, Ivy, Rapheal, Maxi, et cetera aren't fun to use sometimes, but the users of these characters who walk around like they're hot stuff really burn me up.

[quote=bustedxup]no body can touch me when i use Kilik. NOBODY! Yeah i also have mad skills On that game.

I am so annoyed right now that SCII isn't online.

Posted by veritas

Isn't the third one supposed to be?

Posted by bustedxup

Quoting Linko_16: I am so annoyed right now that SCII isn't online.

Yeah maby the 3rd one will be, well if they want it to sell realy well.

Posted by veritas

Do you think the new cahracters will be good. C'mon the one girl has an umbrella as a weapon, and the other has a ring blade. I guess the guy with the scythe is pretty cool though.

Posted by bustedxup

Thats the new characters **** you would think they would come up with something better that that ****.

Posted by veritas

They should put some guy with guns as weapons. jk. I think they have all the weapons covered. I think they only put new chacacters in just because it would be one more reason to buy it.

Posted by verystrait42

i always use nightmare. i own ANYONE with nightmare. im in a local soul calibur 2 tournament on 10/30/05. wish me luck!!! (the next pro gamer from someplace never heard of by anybody, i will be)

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting 2fast4u: I hate nightmare. He's so slow, but when he hits you it takes out a lot of damage.

As far as power characters go, Nightmare's actually pretty swift. He has a good balance between fast, light attacks and slow, heavy attacks. Astaroth is slower and more powerful, and Berserker's the slowest with the strongest blows.

Posted by veritas

Luck!!!!!!!

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Linko_16: I maintain that, while maybe some of the characters mentioned have more depth than button-pushes can discover, they're still an uppity n00b's best friends. As for Astaroth, seeing anything coming from him is no great feat.

I've still got to disagree with your choice of characters. To me it seems like the only one you posted that is really n00b happy is Maxi. He combos so easily that jsut mashing buttons ensures a 10 hit almost. As for Kilik, the delay on his moves is so great that to assume that a n00b can just pick him up and r0xx0r ur boxerz is not logical. Sueng Mina is basicly the same character with boobs, so no surprises there.To claim Ivy is noob friendly is astounding, as her moves are even harder to pull off at random, AND she's slow. Rapheal comes close to being a noob character, but even he is only "ok". he doesnt really do anything by himself; you have to learn the moves to get any good out of him.

And to the person who said that Nightmare is slow. Lol. You just dont know how to use him. Him may not be Taki, but he's mighty fast once that sword starts swinging.

Posted by GameMiestro

Link

Posted by Nightscare

i use nightmare

Posted by Seres Aran

Okay, first of all, my two best characters are the awesome Mitsurugi, and the almighty Nightmare. Yah, I own with them. Anyways, Lord of Spam, it sounds like the only reason you are defending Kilik, Seung Mina, and Maxi is because you probably use them for a bit of n00bish button mashing yourself. I do agree with you when it comes to Ivy, though. She is not n00b friendly. It took me a long time to even SUCK with her, let alone learn her moves. I yearn to be good with Cervantes, Voldo, and Yoshimitsu...

Posted by Non-ExistentOne

I generally use Talim and I've gotten pretty good with her.

My whole opinion with fighting games, is that I can't stand the people who memorize button combos, who go into the training simulators of the games and practice-practice-practice. I don't learn anything before I play the game, I do no training, I play the game and I learn as I go, which IMO, gives you a fuller game then just learning button combos and the like.

I think I picked Talim just because her alternate costume looks [almost] exactly like Yuffie from FFVII.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/animelist/scalibur2.jpg
http://www.finalfantasydream.it/ff7/yuffie.jpg

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Seres Aran: Okay, first of all, my two best characters are the awesome Mitsurugi, and the almighty Nightmare. Yah, I own with them. Anyways, Lord of Spam, it sounds like the only reason you are defending Kilik, Seung Mina, and Maxi is because you probably use them for a bit of n00bish button mashing yourself. I do agree with you when it comes to Ivy, though. She is not n00b friendly. It took me a long time to even SUCK with her, let alone learn her moves. I yearn to be good with Cervantes, Voldo, and Yoshimitsu...

Actaully, I despise Sueng Mina and Kilik, and never use them. As for Maxi, the only time I use him is when I want to make someone feel bad, by being like "HA. I just beat you by mashing buttons." I never use him in a serious fight.

And actually, if you make some changes to should buttons, Ivy becomes muchg more accesible. Just set L1 to A+B, L2 to B+K, R1 to A+G and R2 to B+G. A lot of her moves need either A+B or B+K, so it hels out. With that set up, you can do like 5 or 6 unblockable moves in under 4 button presses.

Posted by Nightscare

Quoting Non-ExistentOne: I generally use Talim and I've gotten pretty good with her.

My whole opinion with fighting games, is that I can't stand the people who memorize button combos, who go into the training simulators of the games and practice-practice-practice. I don't learn anything before I play the game, I do no training, I play the game and I learn as I go, which IMO, gives you a fuller game then just learning button combos and the like.

I think I picked Talim just because her alternate costume looks [almost] exactly like Yuffie from FFVII.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/animelist/scalibur2.jpg
http://www.finalfantasydream.it/ff7/yuffie.jpg

that is your fault, because people who train ACTUALLY take games serriously. it is like traning for a sports event. you cassual gamers make me sick. spelled wrong for emphasis

Quoting Nightscare: that is your fault, because people who train ACTUALLY take games serriously. it is like traning for a sports event. you cassual gamers make me sick. spelled wrong for emphasis

Just because I'm not an obsessive-compulsive practitioner of Soul Calibur II doesn't make me any less of a gamer. However, having enough intelligence to be able to call upon multi-button techniques without extensively researching every pro and con of the move would make me, in-fact, more of a gamer.

However, don't take this post seriously, as I don't take every retort from smart-mouthed n00bs seriously either. Especially ones who can't put together a proper sentence, or ones who compare video games to sports.

Idiot.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Non-ExistentOne: However, having enough intelligence to be able to call upon multi-button techniques without extensively researching every pro and con of the move would make me, in-fact, more of a gamer.

Shooting a leaf off of a tree at a thousand feet is not impressive if you were aiming for a bird on a branch.

That being said, that guy needs to shut up. I trained on Soul Calibur 2 for hours, but to claim that not doing so means that you arent a real gamer is just retarded. Seriously, not everone lieks fightin games that much, and even if htey do, maybe tehy just feel like screwing around. Theres nothing wrong with that. Games are meant to be fun. So if you arent having fun by spending lots of time on training, then there isnt any point for you to do it.

Posted by Seres Aran

This dispute is pointless. Non-Existant One, I think this is your way of trying to convince people you're some "uber l33t gamer". I don't memorize moves myself, but I don't look dwon on people who do. I (let alone you) don't have the right. Face it, in the end, it's usually the people who do memorize, or at least practice moves in fighting games that win. I think that there's someone out there you're mad at for OWNing you in Soul Caliber II (or another fighting game) because they do practice extensively. Also, the fact that they take the time to do so makes me MORE of a gmaer, because they get in more gaming time. So there. Can't deny that.

Posted by veritas

Who cares whose a better gamer. This is where gamers talk about games. Not to fight with one another.

Posted by Seres Aran

Quoting 2fast4u: Who cares whose a better gamer. This is where gamers talk about games. Not to fight with one another.

*Clap clap* Bravo! Well put! That is exactly my point (for the most part). (I'm assuming) We're all decent gamers here, right? No need to argue.

(This isn't a democracy, it's a dictartorship! lol, kidding)

Posted by veritas

Thank you thank you. Any way, hey verystrait42. How did your tournament go.

Quoting Seres Aran: This dispute is pointless. Non-Existant One, I think this is your way of trying to convince people you're some "uber l33t gamer". I don't memorize moves myself, but I don't look dwon on people who do. I (let alone you) don't have the right. Face it, in the end, it's usually the people who do memorize, or at least practice moves in fighting games that win. I think that there's someone out there you're mad at for OWNing you in Soul Caliber II (or another fighting game) because they do practice extensively. Also, the fact that they take the time to do so makes me MORE of a gmaer, because they get in more gaming time. So there. Can't deny that.

Who the hell are you?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Wow, thank you guys for reminding me why I stay out of the themed forums.

Posted by Seres Aran

Quoting Non-ExistentOne: Who the hell are you?

Who am I? WHO AM I?! Who I am is not important. But my comments are, of course. Commit that to memory.

*Fans himself* Just call me Lord Necros...

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Seres Aran: Who am I? WHO AM I?! Who I am is not important. But my comments are, of course. Commit that to memory.

*Fans himself* Just call me Lord Necros...

Quoting Lord of Spam: Wow, thank you guys for reminding me why I stay out of the themed forums.

Retards.

Posted by Seres Aran

Quoting Lord of Spam: Wow, thank you guys for reminding me why I stay out of the themed forums.

Doesn't make much sense but... you're welcome, I guess. Always willing to help a fellow gamer!

Posted by Lord of Spam

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/OwlKeke.jpg[/IMG]

Wasnt a compliment. i was actually making fun of you for the fact that you sound EXACTLY liek the stereotype of someone who posts on a videogame message board.

Posted by Seres Aran

Quoting Lord of Spam: [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/OwlKeke.jpg[/IMG]

Wasnt a compliment. i was actually making fun of you for the fact that you sound EXACTLY liek the stereotype of someone who posts on a videogame message board.

Yes, I know, but I'm not currently accepting insults right now. They're pointless and make the place uncomfortable. Fortuantely, I'm optimistic, am willing to be friends with everyone, and also willing to pardon useless insults. ;)

Posted by Lord of Spam

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/owlfrown.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by dangergoblin

jesus tapdancing christ, has every here forgot about our favorite anoying aisan girl, Xanguha? if you want to show your skill, one must use her to humiliate an opponent. "Just kidding!" holy crap, just hearing that over and over again would drive you nuts, yet she is my all time favorite charactor. forget boobvie, forget talems cheap moves, and forget astroths 10 sec powerup moves. this chick deals almost no damage with every hit, she has alot of evasive/delayed moves... and in my oppinion, looks better than sophitia (even when shes in her push-up tunic). my favorite move? her B-K B move. has to be the longest delay ever, but who dosnt like a stab in the shin?
'tis a real shame that they had to change her moves around in SC3 (including almost everyone else too), she dosnt seem as graceful to me now... but that should be for the other post...

Posted by Grave Wisdom

For me, i'd say Astaroth or Nightmare.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting dangergoblin: ... and forget astroths 10 sec powerup moves.

-> -> B: Astaroth's best friend against those pesky speedsters.

Posted by Lord of Spam

<-b+k

Ivy no like when peopel get close:)

Or, at least I think thats the move I'm thinking of. Its been like a year. since I've played, so I dont remember any of hte moves now.:/

Posted by Klarth

I usually play with Spawn or Link. Kinda depends whether it's the GCN version or not.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Spawn was cheatery and lame. I never played with link since the 'cube has terrible fighting controls:cookie:

I still think that, when used properly, Ivy and Taki ar ethe two best characters in the game (followed by Necrid and Nightmare).

Posted by Evil_Charisma

Cool. My first post. Well, I like SC2 and I play the hell out of it... I don't think there's any certain 'best' character... just about all of them can be really effective if played with a certain skill level... But I do hate Talim :)

Posted by gamer halo

this game is :cool: i have the book and my fav character is kilik he is :cool: i can :chainsaw: anybody wit this dude oh yea just to tell u im a girl everyone think im a male im a female

Posted by Psy

my favorite guy in soul cabilur is nightmare, i have done so good with him in every game mode and he still is one of my favorite chars

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Klarth]I usually play with Spawn or Link. Kinda depends whether it's the GCN version or not.

Aren't they both like super-hax characters?

I mean, Link has the best grab in the game for ring-outs for starters.

Anyways, Ivy is superior. lol boobs

Posted by ShiroiHikari

i dont find Ivy too hot! :(... i usually play as Talim! shes cute.. and she moves hella fast! Strength only matters if you can hit the foe! :D! Combo's with Talim like... never end also!

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting ShiroiHikari: i dont find Ivy too hot!

Thank ***, I'm not the only one.

Talim is indeed very cute, but she looks a few years older than fifteen to me.

Posted by TheSorrow

my favorite charchter is
1.Mitsurugi
2.Spawn
3.Nightmare
4.Rapheal
5.Yoshimitsu
but i really need to get soul calibur 3 now i beat all of soul calibur 2

Posted by Preeminence

Kilik
Link

enough said

Posted by Kit

Me, My brother, and a lot of our friends all play Soul Calibur II Tournaments all the time. On the PS2 version. The best out of us all is my friend, Luke. His best character is Mitsurugi, when he uses that **** Damascus sword. (2nd most damaging weapon on the PS2 version with 180% damage, except that it can't block but Luke practically never blocks anyway, The most damaging of all versions is one of spawn's weapons, with 220% damage.) And he beats all of us with Mitsurugi. I used to use Yun Sung until I realised that he's the weakest character in the game, I could win some fights, but...no. Then I started using Nightmare, and I wasn't too good with him. Now I use Cervantes and I'm really good as him. I can't beat Luke and his Damascus sword, but I can beat everybody else when they use that combo, and I can beat Luke when he uses Heihachi (His 2nd best character.). I've also been doing pretty well with Cassandra and Heihachi.

Posted by TheSorrow

Dark Kirby just dont do extra vs. that way he cant use the damacus sword thats how i beat almost every1 too but if your tired of losing to him just go to regular vs

Posted by maian

Heh, me and my friend play SC2 all the time. We have so much fun on the Extra VS. Team Battle. It's great fun. Sometimes, we have random matches, with just completely random characters, or our own favorites. We typically have our lineups down, but they change occasionally. Mine goes as this:

Cervantes, Mitsurugi, Kilik, Mina, Yoshimitsu, Nightmare, Link, Talim

My favorite characters are definately Link, Talim, Mitsurugi, and Nightmare. Talim is fast, with good moves and requires a bit of skill. Mitsurugi owns with his Damascus sword. It's cheap, but you can't block, so it's pretty fair. And Nightmare is just so badical. :(

It's a shame SC3 is PS2 exclusive. And it's a fscking shame it doesn't have team battle mode.

Posted by Lord of Spam

And its even more of a shame that they completely nerfed all my fav characters.

Posted by Pit_42

Ya that must stink.

Posted by Sterling

I'm pretty good with Necrid, his moves are so unpredictible but I know them.
And Link is pretty good, too.

Posted by Takuya Kanabara

The two characters that I'm good are Talim and Yunsung. My main character is Talim. When I pick her, it's a sign to my friends that the game is over for them.