[Audio] Fei-on is headed for Hollywood (maybe someday)

Posted by Fei-on Castor

http://www.myspace.com/feion

Please have a listen to those four songs. I got them professionally recorded, and I'd really appreciate some feedback, positive or negative (hopefully positive) since I did pay for these songs.

I hired a producer named Todd Owens, one heck of a guy too. His equipment was kinda messy and not too expensive, but he got it done for me, and I'm very proud of it. I want to know what others think, too.

If any song jumps out at you, let me know about that too.

Thanks, you guys.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I didn't like them that much. Nothing really jumped out at me. They all sounded run-of-the-mill.

And your sig sucks :)

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Really?

:(

Oh well, feedback is feedback. Thanks.

Posted by Draxamus

haaa emo shit

Posted by Azusa

Some of them were alittle sketchy, but for the most part I thought it they were all suprisingly good. You sound like you have a lot of potential. Not necessarily my type of music, but there is an audience out there for anything these days.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

http://www.angelfire.com/az3/heidihot/Death.mp3

Mind you, that's not me doing vocals. That's this other guy (my brother) who told me he was a good vocalist, and it didn't sound that terrible while recording, but afterward, I realized it sucked. I'll be redoing the song with me singing, but until then, this'll have to do.

I know it's not super hardcore, but it's certainly heavier than the stuff on myspace.

As well, sound quality sucks because we (my friend and I) were working with crappy basement equipment.

Just right click the link, and save as, I guess...

Posted by MetalVox~55

Uhm....:-\ It's better than your other stuff, i'll give you that.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Well, I guess that counts. :) Thanks.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Everything sounded out of sync to me, especially the drums and guitar. Not to mention the vocals barely matched the music.

No offence, but that was pretty bad.

Posted by Acheron

It seems to me like you decided to make a song divergent from your normal style, for the sole purpose of getting people like Metalvox to like your music.

You know my opinion of the music they like. That's all I have to say.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Acheron: It seems to me like you decided to make a song divergent from your normal style, for the sole purpose of getting people like Metalvox to like your music.

You know my opinion of the music they like. That's all I have to say.

Actually, I wrote this song when I was 12, and the other ones that you are more fond of, well, I wrote those within the last 5 years (from age 15 on).

I'm just letting everyone know that I'm not all sappy love songs, or at least, if I am now, I haven't always been.

But thanks for being cool, Acherman.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

You gotta make them catchy so they get stuck in people's heads. Catchy = memorable. Right now I could listen to them for an hour, and then half an hour later, I wouldn't be able to recall one riff or vocal.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

You don't find the "Sorry I don't listen, Sorry I can't hear" to be memorable? A lot of people say that they get that stuck in their head for days.

Same with the chorus to Love Song. And the other two.

Everyone I've played them for in person is usually singing them later that day, because they can't get it out of their head.

Come to my house some time, and let me do a live show for ya! I'll bet I can convey more emotion that way.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Fei-on: Come to my house some time, and let me do a live show for ya! I'll bet I can convey more emotion that way.

You can't base a song around emotion alone.

Quoting Fei-on: You don't find the "Sorry I don't listen, Sorry I can't hear" to be memorable? A lot of people say that they get that stuck in their head for days.

Same with the chorus to Love Song. And the other two.

Everyone I've played them for in person is usually singing them later that day, because they can't get it out of their head.

Come to my house some time, and let me do a live show for ya! I'll bet I can convey more emotion that way.
Which song is "Sorry I don't listen, Sorry I can't hear" from?

Posted by Wicked Sushi

I like how you play the guitar. I'm not into the singing as much, as it's not my style, but anyways, you're talented.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting MetalVox~55: You can't base a song around emotion alone.

Emotion + technique = song

Anyone can learn when to put their fingers where on a fretboard, but it takes emotion to capture that sensation that makes you listen to one song over and over again.

Listen to a recording of me, and I'm not terrible. I'm okay, and all. But come watch me do the same song live, and I'll bet you'd think a lot more highly of it because you'd experience the feeling behind it, not just listen to the technique.

To Phantom:

That line is from Apology, and I'm quite shocked you didn't know that...

Listen to Apology, the whole way through, and then let me know what you've concluded.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Fei-on: Emotion + technique = song

Anyone can learn when to put their fingers where on a fretboard, but it takes emotion to capture that sensation that makes you listen to one song over and over again.

Listen to a recording of me, and I'm not terrible. I'm okay, and all. But come watch me do the same song live, and I'll bet you'd think a lot more highly of it because you'd experience the feeling behind it, not just listen to the technique.

it takes a lot more to make a song than just "emotion + technique".

Quoting Fei-on:
To Phantom:

That line is from Apology, and I'm quite shocked you didn't know that...

Listen to Apology, the whole way through, and then let me know what you've concluded.
The lyrics are VERY unclear. With an acoustic track, I need to be able to understand them the first listen through, without concentrating on it. You might need to project your voice more, or just get louder vocals out of the production equipment - I'm not sure which is the cause of the problem so I cannot say for sure.

Todd Owens gave you a really bad electric guitar sound. It sounds like I recorded it at costco. Kick him. That said, his song "cleansed" is an example of what I like in acoustic music - simple yet well played, clear lyrics, reels you in and doesn't want to let go.

Those bongo drums seem really out of place, as well. I'd say replace them with a more traditional softly-played drum sound or no drums at all.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting MetalVox~55: it takes a lot more to make a song than just "emotion + technique".

Such as?

You have a feeling, and you have the technique to compose the song that you hear in your head. Emotion + Technique.

Technique with no emotion is dry, but emotion with no technique is William Hung.

[quote=Phantomman5000]Those bongo drums seem really out of place, as well. I'd say replace them with a more traditional softly-played drum sound or no drums at all.
Get a hold of me on AIM or MSN, and I can send you the original version, fully electric, with real drums, and all that.

The issue with the vocals stems from Todd's poor mixing of the vocal tracks. He overdid it on the reverb, I think. He claims it made it sound better, but I don't know. I wasn't there for the mixing so I don't know how it sounded before the reverb was added.

I thought the electric guitar itself was nice, but again, issues with mixing. The guitar I was playing was Les Paul, so it was a nice guitar. But I think Todd could've mixed it a bit better...

Also, I just listened to The Love Song, and counted about 3 different guitar tracks at the same time. Only one main acoustic guitar track is necessary, with a secondary track just playing single note melodies here and there when needed. The dual acoustic tracks make the song ridiculously hard to follow. Well played, but I can't even try to get this one stuck in my head.

The lead vocal track should be louder than the backup vocal track, as well.

You don't appear to be on AIM right now. IM me at Turbo Lover GT2.

EDIT: Also, Insecure has pretty high potential. Get rid of the bongos and the strange bass guitar sound, and project your voice, and this becomes an example of what you should continue to do. It has potential to be memorable.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting ///Phantom: Also, I just listened to The Love Song, and counted about 3 different guitar tracks at the same time. Only one main acoustic guitar track is necessary, with a secondary track just playing single note melodies here and there when needed. The dual acoustic tracks make the song ridiculously hard to follow. Well played, but I can't even try to get this one stuck in my head.

The lead vocal track should be louder than the backup vocal track, as well.

We did more than one accoustic track, which, in professional recording, is more common than you'd think. Again, just issues with the mixing.

It was two base tracks, with one accoustic lead. I thought the love song came out well, but Todd wanted to do more vocals, and I didn't. I wanted it to be like a song that ONE guy sings to a girl, not a band. I wanted one vocal track, with a few back up vocals, but he said it needed to be thickened up, and he was my producer, and you're really not suppose to argue with the producer, or he won't produce you.

So I did as he said, but I wasn't pleased with the results. I like the tracks, but I think I could've done the same work on my computer, if I had about $200 to buy a few things (equipmentwise).

Interestingly enough, I paid Todd $200 to do those five songs for me. Had I not hired him, I could've just bought what I needed, and did it myself.

But record labels don't accept unsolicited material, so I'd need a producer to submit stuff on my behalf, and Todd hasn't even offered to do that for me.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/feioncastor/secondfreeconcert.jpg[/IMG]

Free concert for birds.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/feioncastor/feielecguitar.jpg[/IMG]

A little drunk.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Dude, you know I <3 you... but you'd make an awesome guitar hobo.:(

Posted by The Judge

That's a sign of love, dood.

You look as drunk as you say you are. I like it.

Posted by Xenos

All you need in the first picture is a cabin in the background and a nice gun next to your rocking chair.

Good photos.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

You're one of the few people that can pull off that look in the first picture.

Posted by Lord of Spam

oh my ***.

He looks like disaster kid. Let the shopping begin.

Posted by Raptor

I know you live in Arizona and all, but it would be nice to see you wear a proper shirt more often.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I always have a wifebeater on and the first thing I usually do when I get home from work is take off my work shirt. For the rest of the day, I usually hang out in my wifebeater. If I am going some where, I'll put on a different shirt, but otherwise, I opt for comfort.

By the way, Rapty, I live in the mountains of Arizona. Not the desert. It doesn't get that hot here, and it does get pretty chilly (teens/single digits) in the winter.