PS3's Abilities?

Posted by Xqars

OK, so the PS3 is going to use Blu-Rays. But can it read regular current DVDs? And I read an article about the Blu-Rays. They mentioned that the Xbox 360 can't read them (duh) and that the PS3 can't read HD-DVDs. I don't know what HD-DVDs are. Can someone please tell me? All comments are appreciated, thx!

Posted by Ant

I believe that HD-DVDs are a new format of DVD's that are coming out along with the Blue Ray. Imagine it like Beta vs VHS. Since Sony own a major part of the Television and Movies industry I forsee Blue Ray being the victor.

Posted by Speedfreak

They owned that much before, yet Beta still lost.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Ant: I believe that HD-DVDs are a new format of DVD's that are coming out along with the Blue Ray. Imagine it like Beta vs VHS. Since Sony own a major part of the Television and Movies industry I forsee Blue Ray being the victor.

Agreed. With a lot of movie studios pulling back from their promises on supporting the HD-DVD for their films, as well as others pushing back their releases for an indefinite time, the original plan to put the format in consumers' minds this holiday season has failed. On the other hand, the Blu-ray format's only drawback is its cost of production, which would likely be transferred in some form to the consumer. Other than that, the format is indeed vastly superior than standard DVDs and HD-DVDs.

Hopefully, I can say bye-bye to 10-case anime box sets in the near future. (I'm looking at you, Gundam SEED).

Posted by obryen

It seems like they'd wait a couple years before trying to throw out another video medium on the mass market. There are still tons of movies just now being released on DVD. The things didn't even get that popular until about seven years ago. VHS had a good long lifespan before being replaced, so I'd like to see DVD last at least a little longer.

Oh well.

Posted by Xqars

But can it play current regular DVDs?

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Big Boss]It's nearly double the capacity, and developers love, love, love more space. (25-50 GB to 15-30 GB)

csr: We're talking about the discs systems will play, not the systems themselves.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Well, let's talk about the systems themselves then, shall we?

"360 Great, ps3-pain in my ***." -Id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead on John Carmack's attitude. (EGM)

Apparently all of sony's efforts to make the ps3 so endearingly easy to program for have failed miserably by some developers as, I believe, I predicted quite some time ago.

Honestly, all they're doing now is hyping the processor. Everyone's all buzzing about how powerful the cell processor is (just like they were about the emotion engine), without even thinking about whether or not the rest of the system will be able to take a good enough portion of advantage of that processor without 7 billion extra pages of code that no one wants to write. I laugh uproariously, and weep because developers will still feel obligated to develop for the system when millions of morons buy the things without worrying about the software lineup because "Hey! The games come later! We'll just watch movies and play ps2 games on our $400 hardware until then."

Posted by Random

I honestly don't care how the PS3 shows up hardware wise. Honestly it's all about the Games. I thought the majority of the PS2 exclusive Titles sucked hardcore. The Better games for the PS2 were mainly on multiple consoles. If the PS3 doesn't have a lot of Great Exclusive Titles, then I doubt i'll purchase one at all.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Big Boss]