RFID chip implants

Posted by MapMan

How do you feel about having a RFID chip implanted inside you ?

The bodies being recovered in the Gulf Coast are being tagged with
RFID.

Imagine if you went to the store with no cash, check or credit card and got
your crap and walked out the door. The RFID chip would be your account.

Stolen items could be tracked easily.

Discuss the pros and cons of Human RFID tagging.

Posted by Slade

BAD: I'd feel like a cow.

GOOD: I could find out who stole my stuff and reclaim it.

BAD: Couldn't get that manly feeling I get when I slap five bucks on the counter and say, "Yeah, I'm buying that," anymore.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Um... how about the complete loss of privacy, combined with the rather obvious ability for governemtn abuse. SIGN ME RIGHT UP.

Seriously, anyone who thinks this is a good idea is.... well, I dont want to say retarded, but retarded.

Posted by Xenos

Megan's Law actually wants to do that too sexual criminals even after they are released, it is a killer for civil rights but whatever you people want to decide.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Megans law is also the most retardedpeice of legislation on the books, right up there with th california "three strikes law" that has people serving life sentences for stealing a pizza.:(

Posted by Killer Jordo

Bad Idea. Just more things to get hacked. Also it makes the goverment more controllable of us

Posted by KoH

Hate the idea. It supports communism ( >:-0 ), and while it does offer easier means of delivering justice, it just is the first step to another civil war. Think about what events are likely to happen... I'd personally hate to be branded.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Wow, I didnt even think about the ability to hax the chips.

Posted by billards

Quoting Lord of Spam: Megans law is also the most retardedpeice of legislation on the books, right up there with th california "three strikes law" that has people serving life sentences for stealing a pizza.:(

That is utter BS right there. I have done a lot of research for the 3 strikes law. In order for it to be a "strike" it has to be a felony. Simple petty theft is not. Burglary is, but that is hard to prove cause you have to prove intent, the other would be robbery which would be threw force or fear. Those are both felonies. Plus not every felony is a strike, the judge has to declare it a strike, if it is not declared at sentancing it can't be a strike again. So stealing a pizza will not get a you a strike. One other thing, it has to be a violent felony for it to count, not just any felony. So if you are caught three times during a violent felony you should serve life, its obvious sending you to prison isn't doing anything.

Megan law is a good thing. Nowing where sexual predators are at is a good thing. But people are abusing it, by protesting and forcing them to move. When you sign onto the site you have to say you will not do that. Plus the government isn't doings it job to follow these offenders. Once they take care of those two problems it would be a very good system.

The chip would not a be good idea. It is a totaly violation of your civil rights. The government could easily track you and track whatever you are doing. I wouldn't support it at all.

Posted by Caryatid

It reminds me of Big Brother in 1984.

Posted by mis0

How the Hell would anyone feel secure ever again, when anyone could figure out who you are with a handheld scanner? ID theft would be as easy as being sneaky. I'll never have one of these things put in my, and if I do, then I'll cut it off (I've always heard that fingertips is where they want to put them).

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Pros: Crimes would be down. Think about it. If ever house had a scanner on it, and someone broke into your house and killed you. The police would be able to check the scanner and see who had broken in. Child Molesters and kidnappers could easily be tracked down and so could kids. This would save more childrens lives.

Cons: I don't know if I would feel free with my every move being watched and scanned.

Posted by Arwon

Why not just kill everyone? That'll solve the crime problem real quick.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting billards: That is utter BS right there. I have done a lot of research for the 3 strikes law. In order for it to be a "strike" it has to be a felony. Simple petty theft is not. Burglary is, but that is hard to prove cause you have to prove intent, the other would be robbery which would be threw force or fear. Those are both felonies. Plus not every felony is a strike, the judge has to declare it a strike, if it is not declared at sentancing it can't be a strike again. So stealing a pizza will not get a you a strike. One other thing, it has to be a violent felony for it to count, not just any felony.

They must have changed the law since I studied it, tehn, beucase any 3 felonies were enough to put you away, and it was mandatory afte rthe third.

Quoting billards: So if you are caught three times during a violent felony you should serve life, its obvious sending you to prison isn't doing anything.

So if prison doesnt work, the answer is more prison?

Quoting billards: Megan law is a good thing. Nowing where sexual predators are at is a good thing. But people are abusing it, by protesting and forcing them to move. When you sign onto the site you have to say you will not do that. Plus the government isn't doings it job to follow these offenders. Once they take care of those two problems it would be a very good system.

Its not really reasonable to expect people to not reaxt differently when they know that there is a sexual offender in the neighborhood. Further more, the law doesnt discern between types of sexual offenses. In the eyes of hte law, a person who rapes a nun is on the same level as someone who is 18 and is lied to by a 16 year old girl about her age.

Quoting billards: The chip would not a be good idea. It is a totaly violation of your civil rights. The government could easily track you and track whatever you are doing. I wouldn't support it at all.

For once, I whole heartedly agree.

Quoting Arwon: Why not just kill everyone? That'll solve the crime problem real quick.

Have I told you I lvoe you recently?

Posted by mis0

Quoting Lord of Spam: They must have changed the law since I studied it, tehn, beucase any 3 felonies were enough to put you away, and it was mandatory afte rthe third.

Generally speaking, though, felonies are pretty serious stuff. Perhaps the least severe felony I know of is traveling in excess of twice the speed limit, but people shouldn't be locked away for that. Still, Meghans law sucks, save for the fact that they require pedophiles and rapists to let people know what they are, which is a good thing.

Posted by Lord of Spam

In the state of Florida, if you shoplift apack of gum, and you happened to have a gun in your back pocket, even if that fact was only found out after you were arrested (i.e. nobody made reference to it, and it was never drawn), you just fell under the 10/25/Life policy, and earned yourself a 10 year minimum sentence. There are lots of little stupid things that count as felonies. The example in question was a guy who had stolen two cars in the past (both felonies), and then robbed as pizza delivery guy of his pizza with a baseball bat. Is it a crime? Yes. Does it deserve punishment? Yes. Does he deserve to spend life in prison for armed robbery? Hardly.

Posted by Arwon

The criminal justice system is probably the best example of why mob rule and direct democracy can't work. Pandering to populist emotion and rage in a justice system is bloody dangerous. Just look at the way people always try to outdo each other in suggesting creatively brutal and torturous punishments for rape and such... this bloodthirsty vengefulness should never be enshrined into a rational justice system.

Might as well just let mobs stone people.

Posted by billards

[QUOTE=Lord of Spam]They must have changed the law since I studied it, tehn, beucase any 3 felonies were enough to put you away, and it was mandatory afte rthe third.

The exact application of the three-strikes laws varies considerably from state to state. Some states require all three felony convictions to be for violent crimes in order for the mandatory sentence to be pronounced, while others

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting billards: These people that continue committ Felonies will end up spending the rest of their lives in prison anyways. Most of the time, these felonies jump in violence or maginitude(sp?). Each time they are arrested and sent threw the CJ system it cost the tax payers thousands of dollars. So what do you think we should do? It is quite obvious that these people aren't learning from their mistakes, and nothing will teach them. They will just be back in prison in a couple years.

Kill them *oscar*

Posted by The Punisher

The thought of something like this inside me, tracing me everywhere i go bugs me. I couldnt stand it, and I do somehow think that I would rip it out of me, and then start or join a resistance. And this of course would cuase more problems than it would solve, and the Goverment are horrible, yet vary vary good at starting stupid things like this. One way or another I have a bad feeling about our future.

Posted by Landon

Quoting Lord of Spam: In the state of Florida, if you shoplift apack of gum, and you happened to have a gun in your back pocket, even if that fact was only found out after you were arrested (i.e. nobody made reference to it, and it was never drawn), you just fell under the 10/25/Life policy, and earned yourself a 10 year minimum sentence.

That is totally, totally false.
The presence of a firearm during a misdemeanor doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of 10/20/Life.
The law is very clear that the crime has to be gun related, with the firearm being an operative element in the comission of the crime.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Couldn't they just end up controlling people's thoughts or something worse be used to find out what your thinking or something.

Posted by Lord of Spam

[quote=King Douchebag]That is totally, totally false.
The presence of a firearm during a misdemeanor doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of 10/20/Life.
The law is very clear that the crime has to be gun related, with the firearm being an operative element in the comission of the crime.

OH WOW THANKS IF IT WERENT FOR YOU I WOULD HAVE LET ALL THOSE COURT REPORTS AND NEWSPAPER ARTICLES FOOL ME. THANK YOU FOR SHOWING ME THE LIGHT, YOU FUCKING CUNT.

Quoting Phlynthe: Couldn't they just end up controlling people's thoughts or something worse be used to find out what your thinking or something.

Are yuou seriously having trouble figuring out why people arent reacting well to you? Jesus, that was the most retarded thing I have ever heard.

Posted by Fadedblood

It would bother me for the government to have that much control over me, and know exactally who I am, what medications im on, my criminal record (or lack thereof), job, income, family status, house size, and fetishes by scanning a little handheld over me.

OMGLOLROFLBBQ NO THX K?!?!?

Posted by mis0

Anyone interested might want to look at this quarters' 2600, in an article entitled "United Kingdom: The State of Surveillance."

Basically, what they're doing over there is installing ANPR (Automatic Plate Number Recognition) systems so they can track what cars are going where, if there are duplicate plate numbers ("cloned cars"), etc. Plates can be read at speeds near 100mph, and the data stored supposedly is mined for roughtly two years. They're seemingly using this to look for criminals and stolen cars, but it seems like a very good way to be "Big Brother" in that if you use a car, they can have a rough idea of your proximity at any time, and go back several years into the past to find out where you were. They're also thinking aboutusing E-plates (Standard EU plates with RFID chips in them) to monitor this more effectively, but to achieve the same result. Also, AFR (automatic facial recognition) systems are being used in some parts of the UK, and these supposedly do the same sort of thing as the APNR systems, just with your face.

The CCTV systems in Britain always seemed excessive, but this? I feel bad for anyone living under that kind of overbearing surveillance and data-logging. Biometrics have always ****ed me off, and that fact that these systems are now entering our society is equally irritating. Where I live, thankfully, there are very few, if any, general surveillance cameras, and equally few traffic-monitoring cameras (although they're simply used against speeders, not the general driver).

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Misoxeny]Anyone interested might want to look at this quarters' 2600, in an article entitled "United Kingdom: The State of Surveillance."

Basically, what they're doing over there is installing ANPR (Automatic Plate Number Recognition) systems so they can track what cars are going where, if there are duplicate plate numbers ("cloned cars"), etc. Plates can be read at speeds near 100mph, and the data stored supposedly is mined for roughtly two years. They're seemingly using this to look for criminals and stolen cars, but it seems like a very good way to be "Big Brother" in that if you use a car, they can have a rough idea of your proximity at any time, and go back several years into the past to find out where you were. They're also thinking aboutusing E-plates (Standard EU plates with RFID chips in them) to monitor this more effectively, but to achieve the same result. Also, AFR (automatic facial recognition) systems are being used in some parts of the UK, and these supposedly do the same sort of thing as the APNR systems, just with your face.

The CCTV systems in Britain always seemed excessive, but this? I feel bad for anyone living under that kind of overbearing surveillance and data-logging. Biometrics have always ****ed me off, and that fact that these systems are now entering our society is equally irritating. Where I live, thankfully, there are very few, if any, general surveillance cameras, and equally few traffic-monitoring cameras (although they're simply used against speeders, not the general driver).

Aye, I agree there. I always took comfort in the fact that, if I'm ever mugged, the wanker will be caught on CCTV without fail. But the possibility of such systems being turned against me is always frightening. But honestly, I can't think of a reason to track 60 million people's every move, and the UK doesn't have the resources to do so anyway. With or without them you'll feel insecure anyway from different parties. Rather the enemy I knew (the government) than the enemy I didn't (some random mugger), in my opinion.

Posted by muffla

i like the idea it would help you find things if you lost them

but i would also have to stop playing with fire

and i dnt wanna

Posted by mis0

I think RFID, surveillance, and data-mining all cause more problems than they solve, personally. And the primary reason most of these things are done on a minimal level here in the States is because a majority of people think the same way.

I'd rather run my risks with a mugger than have every single act I do in public be monitored and possibly stored under a unique profile based on my biometric data, have the route I follow traced, and to be x-rayed by anyone with an RFID scanner. It's called mace and a zippo, guys. ;)

Posted by Hasta Flammeus

Quoting Misoxeny: I'd rather run my risks with a mugger than have every single act I do in public be monitored and possibly stored under a unique profile based on my biometric data, have the route I follow traced, and to be x-rayed by anyone with an RFID scanner. It's called mace and a zippo, guys. ;)
I like to think we'll never be stupid enough to tag everyone and trace everything they do, but if it happens, I'll spend my days driving around tracing words in four-mile-high letters

So, yeah... I guess I'm against it on grounds of preserving a private life