CEASE YOUR WORRIES ABOUT THE CONTROLLER.

Posted by Speedfreak

"We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the GameCube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

"So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too."

[url="http://revolutionreport.com/articles/read/101"]http://revolutionreport.com/articles/read/101[/url]

So it does everything the other consoles do, and more. Win.

Posted by maian

My day just got even better.

Is there anything at all that's bad about this controller now? I can't think of anything.

Posted by Drewboy64

I just read this, and was about to post a thread. But yes, this is great news. And I believe this may be the best option to play SSBRevolution with.
Nintendo never ceases to amaze me.

Posted by Arczu

Nintendo didn't go into business only to screw up by introducing a new style controller. There are probably teasing us with that thing, and when we find out what we really can do with it, it becomes the killer app of the decade.

Posted by TendoAddict

Few, I was about to die.

But what about the strait up revoultion, will it still use the controler (remote?)

Posted by Drewboy64

uh... yeah. that is the controller, so why wouldn't it use it? The wavebird shell is just an extra thing for backward compatability games and games like Super Smash Bros.

Posted by Burrito

It's also important for multiplatform games.

Posted by Azusa

Awesome. The remote shaped controller had me worried.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Wow... Speedy, you needed to post another thread for this?

And I sure do look forward to buying the Xbox 360.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]If developers have the option to make games suitable to the traditional controller and traditional gaming, i can see that games developed solely to be used with the freehand-style controller will be occasionally made (mostly by Nintendo). Which, in turn, says to me that the freehand-style controller is more of a gimmick than a revolution.[/COLOR]

Posted by Darkbackward

I disagree, I think that developers will focus on the new controller, the traditional controller will be used to play classic games.

I personally think that the old school way of life is going to be over once Nintendo hits the fan. Honestly, this thing looks really cool, I was just wet dreaming about sonic revo a couple of hours ago. I am still reserving the possiblity that the new controller is nothing more than a peripherial used to play pokemon and mario party, but I'm pretty confident that it will do well if nintendo avoids the mistake of quantity over quality, which is what I'm hoping for.

This is now three threads on the controller, where are mods?

Posted by Random

WOULD EVERYONE STFU ABOUT THE **** CONTROLLER? TRY IT WHEN IT COMES OUT FOR C*RISTS SAKES! IT EITEHR SUCKS OR IT DOESN'T. SIMPLE AS THAT!!! OMFG I'M SO F*CKING SMART. I'M SORRY FOR FLIPPING BUT I'M GETTING IRRITATED WITH EVERYTHING. STFU n00bs AND JUST SETTLE DOWN. EVENTUALLY YOU YOURSELF CAN TRY IT AND SEE IF IT WORKS OR NOT.

Eh sorry.. I just like my route better.. Try it before you say it's the greatest thing in the world, or complain how crappy it is even though you have yet to try it.

Posted by boomstick

I figured this would probably happen, just from some of the feedback we've seen on the controller, I figured Nintendo would probably make some type of backup thing.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR=Yellow]If developers have the option to make games suitable to the traditional controller and traditional gaming, i can see that games developed solely to be used with the freehand-style controller will be occasionally made (mostly by Nintendo). Which, in turn, says to me that the freehand-style controller is more of a gimmick than a revolution.[/COLOR]

Granted 3rd parties aren't exaclty an imaginative bunch but I doubt if they do produce games for the Revo it would just work as either a traditional game or a Revo game. I'm sure it'll be somewhere in the middle. I imagin when EA makes a crap game for the Revo it'll still mostly be played like a traditional game but I also think that EA might say take advantage of some of the Revo's capabilities rather than focus heavily on all of them. imagine playing your genertic Madden of Fifa series where you can make a sharp jap with the controller to pass to a teammate.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting boomstick: I figured this would probably happen, just from some of the feedback we've seen on the controller, I figured Nintendo would probably make some type of backup thing.

[COLOR=Yellow]Seeing that there are regular style controllers being made for the Revolution enhances my point that the remote is more or less a gimmick.

Bebop, in all honesty, playing a game like Madden that way doesnt sound all that exciting to me, the same goes for the idea Speedfreak had for Resident Evil 5. As i see it right now, playing a sports game or an action game with the remote doesn't sound like it would be any funner than if i played them with a normal controller. At least that's how i feel as of now.[/COLOR]

Posted by Klarth

I honestly couldn't care less if it's gimmicky or not. As long as the graphics are on par with the other two and the games are worth playing, it'll be a good console with an interesting controller.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Aioros: Seeing that there are regular style controllers being made for the Revolution enhances my point that the remote is more or less a gimmick.

Bebop, in all honesty, playing a game like Madden that way doesnt sound all that exciting to me, the same goes for the idea Speedfreak had for Resident Evil 5. As i see it right now, playing a sports game or an action game with the remote doesn't sound like it would be any funner than if i played them with a normal controller. At least that's how i feel as of now.

Then you have a worrying lack of imagination, frankly. With the revolution's control setup you would be able to actually shoot whilst moving without using a crappy dual-analog setup, aswell as aim your knife at specific points of the body much quicker.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Smart move on Nintendo's part. Though, I hope to hell the main focus is on the remote, and not the controller. I want to use the remote as much as possible, with as many games as possible.

Posted by Speedfreak

Even EA, the most unimaginitive developer out there, it talking about being all excited about using the remote in it's sports games.

Being excited about it doesn't guarantee anything.

Posted by Spaz

I'm hella excited for this thing.

From one of my buddies over in Okinawa-ken, that actually went there and got a chance to play it, said the control was more precise than using a mouse in terms of accuracy and ease of use.

Vamp: Yeah I hope to hell they make more support for the remote than a traditional controller.

Do you remember the first time when you tried the analog stick on the n-64? Wasn't it tough, and don't lie...we all took some time to get used to it. But now analog sticks are standard, so why is this such a scary move for everyone.

Gaming is changing...embrace it.

Posted by Bebop

Airos, in response to your rep I'm not being uptight. I'm being brutally honest. Seriously, sometimes I cannot tell whether you're just naturally an ignorent or some fanboy. If anything you're uptight. Lots of people here have given clever and interesting ideas for the revoltuion controller but you instantly dismiss them. In fact I've posted a good use the controller would have in a horror game, one of your favorite genres if I'm not mistaken, and you respond with some stupid fanboyish retort. I know you've already told us your boring when it comes to playing games (In fact I imagine you just sit there like a sack of crap with a stupid look on your face where your only body movements are your fingers) but it would sure help if you'd open up about this rather than being a grumpy grumps.

Quoted post: Do you remember the first time when you tried the analog stick on the n-64? Wasn't it tough, and don't lie...we all took some time to get used to it. But now analog sticks are standard, so why is this such a scary move for everyone.

That or the DualShock. Both were somewhat a pain to master. Especially the PS1's controller. Though a good example, this is somehwhat different. It'll possibly take a bit longer to get used to. Either way, I'm looking forward to using it.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: That or the DualShock. Both were somewhat a pain to master. Especially the PS1's controller. Though a good example, this is somehwhat different. It'll possibly take a bit longer to get used to. Either way, I'm looking forward to using it.

But consider how often you've used a remote control whether for tv set or whatever. This is one of the reasons Ninty based the controller on a remote design because people are already used to it.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Vampiro: Being excited about it doesn't guarantee anything.

True, but it's a bloody good omen.

Posted by Bebop

Would the size of a television screen affect gameplay at all? Considering depth can be detected I assume your distance would affect play too which means I can't play from my bed anymore :(

Posted by Spaz

The range they've stated so far was in the 20's if I'm not mistaken. (Feet)

You'll be able to play from your bed most likely, I mean I can with the Xbox Controller, and that's what, 9 feet long or something?

Posted by Bebop

What I mean is, would sitting say 5ft away make the game easier to play than if you were 10ft away if a game can judge depth?

Quoted post: But consider how often you've used a remote control whether for tv set or whatever. This is one of the reasons Ninty based the controller on a remote design because people are already used to it.

It's not the same though. You're moving the Rev remote in certain directions, pointing it a certain objects, and so on. With a TV remote, you just point it at the general direction and press a button.

You're movements will have to be much more precise. Though I see you're point nonetheless.

Quoted post: True, but it's a bloody good omen.

I absolutely agree. I'm just saying.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Bebop: What I mean is, would sitting say 5ft away make the game easier to play than if you were 10ft away if a game can judge depth?

That's a really good question. The way I think about is, if you sit closer to the TV, the more precise you're going to be. If you're 10-20 ft. away you may be a little more inaccurate. I think this would only affect some games though, I don't see this affecting a LOZ or Mario game. However, FPS may have this problem. Overall though, it shouldn't be a problem

Posted by Spaz

Halo: Now on Nintendo Revolution.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Spaz: Halo: Now on Nintendo Revolution.

Err...no.

Metroid Prime 3 for lyfe dawg! :rock:

Posted by Skitzo Control

Quoting Speedfreak: With the revolution's control setup you would be able to actually shoot whilst moving without using a crappy dual-analog setup...
Speedy, you're just bad with analog sticks. I can do all that with ease on my Xbox controller.

Quoted post: Speedy, you're just bad with analog sticks. I can do all that with ease on my Xbox controller.

Yes, but that's not saying it can't be better.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Bebop: Airos, in response to your rep I'm not being uptight. I'm being brutally honest. Seriously, sometimes I cannot tell whether you're just naturally an ignorent or some fanboy. If anything you're uptight. Lots of people here have given clever and interesting ideas for the revoltuion controller but you instantly dismiss them. In fact I've posted a good use the controller would have in a horror game, one of your favorite genres if I'm not mistaken, and you respond with some stupid fanboyish retort. I know you've already told us your boring when it comes to playing games (In fact I imagine you just sit there like a sack of crap with a stupid look on your face where your only body movements are your fingers) but it would sure help if you'd open up about this rather than being a grumpy grumps.

[COLOR=Yellow]Whoa! All that for just a little de-rep? So i make one witty remark, you know, like you tend to always do (in every single of your posts, i might add) and suddenly you get all serious on me. Every single thing you said is completely false in one way or another and calling me ignorant or fanboyish shows you're just throwing random insults at me because you don't really have a point to make.

My only 2 complaints about the remote are that (A) i don't like the way it looks and (B) as of now it doesn't seem like it will be a huge improvement or a revolution in the way we play games. Is that really so horrible that you would already start with the namecalling. This is coming from someone who hasn't tried it yet, which is why i haven't made fun of the device's capabilites. How does that make me ignorant or fanboyish, it doesn't, tard.[/COLOR]

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Bebop: Would the size of a television screen affect gameplay at all? Considering depth can be detected I assume your distance would affect play too which means I can't play from my bed anymore :(

I'd say that the gyroscopic functions would reset it every time you turned it on. Screen size probably shouldn't matter too much, so as long as the remote's where you want to play from before you turn on the console, it'd work fine.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR=Yellow]Whoa! All that for just a little de-rep? So i make one witty remark, you know, like you tend to always do (in every single of your posts, i might add) and suddenly you get all serious on me. Every single thing you said is completely false in one way or another and calling me ignorant or fanboyish shows you're just throwing random insults at me because you don't really have a point to make.

My only 2 complaints about the remote are that (A) i don't like the way it looks and (B) as of now it doesn't seem like it will be a huge improvement or a revolution in the way we play games. Is that really so horrible that you would already start with the namecalling. This is coming from someone who hasn't tried it yet, which is why i haven't made fun of the device's capabilites. How does that make me ignorant or fanboyish, it doesn't, tard.[/COLOR]

That remark wasn't witty at all.

I'm just calling it like i see. As previously stated, I wasn't sure if that 'witty' post was a fanboyish retort or just some stupid unimginative view. But if you want we can agree that it was just an unfunny remark. Seriously, if you consider that witty it's no suprise American comedy is so, well, crap.

Although i haven't tried the controller, much like yourself, at least I'm trying to undersatdn it and imagine it's possibilites. Again, I repeat how a gave an example how one your favorite examples could benefit from it but you instantly dismiss it, much like a fanboy would.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]I'd say it was pretty darn funny. I'm assuming with some of the rep i got on that post, others thought it was funny as well. But we're not going to start arguing on wether or not that post was funny cuz that would be retarded.

The idea you gave is actually really interesting, and wouldn't be possible with a regular controller, so if you really wanted to hear a legitimate response, there you go.[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Aioros: I'd say it was pretty darn funny. I'm assuming with some of the rep i got on that post, others thought it was funny as well. But we're not going to start arguing on wether or not that post was funny cuz that would be retarded.

The idea you gave is actually really interesting, and wouldn't be possible with a regular controller, so if you really wanted to hear a legitimate response, there you go.

Are you just humouring him? :p:

Posted by Neox

Quoting Speedfreak: We're

We?

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Neox: We?

Us?