Snake? Old? wtf?

Posted by Fate

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/15/news_6133386.html]First Look: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots[/url]

Snake doesn't look like Snake anymore. I know Kojima won't let us down, though. He's a genius! He knows what he's doing...!

Seeing Snake age kind of makes me sad, though. Hopefully Kojima mind****s the fans again by doing something with FOXdie having an advanced aging effect. When FOXdie is eradicated, maybe Snake can be his young[er] and attractive self again! Help me.

Edit: Also, he has a patch over his eye. Did Big Boss really die? Is it some kind of peripheral device? wtf?

Posted by Big Boss

Odd as hell, but it's not the first time Kojima has done weird things with the games. They've all ended up being ***like, so I don't worry too much about it.

However, Snake's look has to go.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Calm down. Konami has been one a favorite game developer of mine since Rocket Knight Adventures when I was just a kid, I'm sure they won't disappoint, especially when it comes to the MGS storyline.

Posted by Klarth

It could be that the actual meat of the game takes place in a flashback, thus retaining his youth...

Eh. If I do wind up getting a PS3, I'll probably pick this one up. I've played MG and MGS, so I'm intrigued.

Posted by Fate

The eyepatch, guys, the eyepatch. THINK ABOUT IT.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Fate: The eyepatch, guys, the eyepatch. THINK ABOUT IT.

Konami apparently guaranteed that he was Solid Snake. Maybe Big Boss will have a part in the game, but don't think of him as the hero of MGS3. Solidus also wore an eye path in MGS2, so Snake might just wear it as a means of representing his "family" in his character design. Also, the eye patch looks like a necessary device rather than, well, just an eye patch.

However, if Snake is that old, I wonder how old Ocelot may be. The MGS4 promotional poster from E3 showed Raiden with a kid, which might lead to believe the game doesn't take part as far away from MGS2 as announced. You might be able to play different portions of the events leading up to Snake's elderly status, though I doubt it.

Posted by Fate

Like I said, Kojima might mind**** us with FOXdie. Otacon doesn't look much older than his MGS2 part.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yay, Raiden's back.

Don't look at me like that,. MGS2 was the first MGS game I had played, and like Raiden I had no clue what was going on. WE FORMED A CONNECTION.

Also, urban warfare sounds way cool, this is the first time I've actually been interested in an MGS title before it's come out.

Posted by Pit

I hope they add like an arthritis feature. Make the game somewhat realistic. Let's say you don't take your medication or something, and you run, Snake cramps up and stuff. It'll add so much more depth to gameplay.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]First the Revolution controller, now this? TGS is getting odder by the minute. I'm still waiting for the news that Square-Enix has decided to replace the Disney characters in Kingdom Hearts 2 with Looney Tunes at the last minute.

Judging by the earlier MGS4 posters and the picture of Otacon, i'm hoping that most of the game will take place shortly after MGS2. Hopefully those scenes with an older Snake are glimpses of the future which might be a theme in MGS4.[/COLOR]

Posted by Pit

Or a heart attack, stroke, or even prostate cancer feature.

Posted by Bebop

What's up with this tache? I thought it was Big Boss at first. Allow the face hair.

Whow, these images sure do look EXACTLY like that Killzone 2 footage.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Big Boss]

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Aioros: I'm still waiting for the news that Square-Enix has decided to replace the Disney characters in Kingdom Hearts 2 with Looney Tunes at the last minute.

I'd play that...

No wait Dragonball Z characters :cool:

Posted by Bebop

I 2nd that Looney Tunes>Disney

Posted by boomstick

I'm excited about the game, but I'm with Fate, I prefer the way Snake was before, but maybe Kojima is doing with Snake what Frank Miller did with Batman, I mean he may possible be thinking of completely redefining the character.

Posted by Fate

...And making him more BADASS than ever before.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Fate: ...And making him more BADASS than ever before.

If he plans to redefine Snake and goes even close to the route Frank Miller did with Batman then Hell Yeah.

Posted by Alastor

They showed a clip of the trailer on G4 yesterday, and Snake seemed to control that little mechanical thing that was following him around with the eyepatch. Weird.

Posted by Fate

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/18/news_6133793.html]I just had an orgasm.[/url]

Posted by brownoystercult

http://vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=8202

Hai.

I had a multiple orgasm.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting boomstick: I'm excited about the game, but I'm with Fate, I prefer the way Snake was before, but maybe Kojima is doing with Snake what Frank Miller did with Batman, I mean he may possible be thinking of completely redefining the character.

I didn't think Solid Snake had a character :amy:

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Fate: ...And making him more BADASS than ever before.

[COLOR=Yellow]Is that even possible? [/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

Just saw the new trailer.

This is no FPS! This is MGS! What the hell? That makes no sense!

This is no realistic driving simulator! This is Mario Party!
This is no MMORPG! This is Donkey Konga!

Pit, it seems you spoke to soon. I'm guessing Snake's age and tired old body will affect the gameply and the actual story. *sniff sniff* I smell Snake dying!

Posted by bazariah

Quoting Bebop:

This is no FPS! This is MGS! What the hell? That makes no sense!

This is no realistic driving simulator! This is Mario Party!
This is no MMORPG! This is Donkey Konga!

lol it's like this is no ordinary roast chicken!! this is a succulent roast chicken, marinated in the juice of a pig :d (hey marks and spencers rule!)

why do they have to be so cryptic about mgs titles

Posted by Fate

Quoting Bebop: This is no FPS! This is MGS! What the hell? That makes no sense!

That was just a joke trailer, you know, to get the fans riled up when all you see is a FPS at the beginning in an MGS game. First, you're supposed to be "wtf" and go downhill from there. When you see Snake come up and attack the "FPS guy" (lol all fps to mgs = suck), that's when you go "OMG MY PANTS ARE SOAKED."

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Fate: That was just a joke trailer, you know, to get the fans riled up when all you see is a FPS at the beginning in an MGS game. First, you're supposed to be "wtf" and go downhill from there. When you see Snake come up and attack the "FPS guy" (lol all fps to mgs = suck), that's when you go "OMG MY PANTS ARE SOAKED."

Sad that it needs to be explained.

OMG ALL NEWS ON TGS ARE ABOUT MGS!

I wish I was there.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Big Boss]http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/050926.jpg

I thought it was pretty funny. :)

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoting Alastor: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/050926.jpg

I thought it was pretty funny. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/VampiroV.Empire/1127504050507.jpg

Posted by Bebop

It's nice to see VGCats being funny for a change.

I prefer seeing Snake old. I've kind of gotten used to characters being changed. From Conker to Zelda, it works out for the best. People should stop fearing change so much.

Posted by Ch

Quoting Bebop: It's nice to see VGCats being funny for a change.

I prefer seeing Snake old. I've kind of gotten used to characters being changed. From Conker to Zelda, it works out for the best. People should stop fearing change so much.

Well I imagine Snake as a healthy young guy in his 30's not some old fart. Hopefully he goes back to that Snake and not some sort of The End type character. Otacon looks cool though.

Posted by Sting

It's a brillant idea to allow Snake to grow old, to age with the series, but that does kind of kill the notion of good MGS games in the future. I mean, what would MGS be without Snake? Who will we play as in MGS 5? Raiden? Ha-ha.

But seriously, maybe Snake will be revealed to actually of had a wife on the side and she got pregnant and had a child, who would then go in his father's footsteps to stop the Metal Gears. Then again, maybe this game will mark the end of the series, maybe Snake will stop them once and for all.

Too many ideas, too little to go by.

Posted by boomstick

[QUOTE=Ch

Posted by TendoAddict

Its seems like they have balls over at Kojima. I have never seen such a videogameing Icon undergo such a story change. It is a big gamble to send such a guy as snake and make him old for the sake of plot . Its like seeing mario turn old (or soem thing like it)

Im glad to see that not everyone is playing it safe on the ps3.

(p.s I think Otacon is long dead and is useing the robot is leading Snake to the truth about the war. Thus by exsplaining his not so aged look.)

Quoted post: Its seems like they have balls over at Kojima. I have never seen such a videogameing Icon undergo such a story change. It is a big gamble to send such a guy as snake and make him old for the sake of plot . Its like seeing mario turn old (or soem thing like it)

It doesn't seem that different... he's just older.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: It doesn't seem that different... he's just older.

Older is different. Hes tired of fighting, not as cocky as the old (younger) Snake. He's takeing medicin to stay alive, and I can be pretty sure that is veiws has changed. Character development doesnt just mean on the outside.

The storyline, however, will probably follow along the same lines. He's just older.

Posted by Fate

**** straight he'll still be cocky. Snake is a character with an already-developed personality. Snake is old and he doesn't need to develop new ways of thinking. He knows his life inside and out and doesn't need anything. Metal Gear is one of the few games out there where character development isn't necessary to advance the story or draw a player in. He doesn't change himself because he's been through all the war and Metal Gear ****.

I'm still thinking about FOXdie, though.
:/

Posted by KMFDM

Well i kind of the Snake was getting older either because of FOXdie or because he may be a clone(i heard that from a very unreliable person)but whatever it is even if its just old age he is still cool,