Smash on Rev.

Posted by Ant

So...how the hell are we going to play this thing?

An interesting article I found on IGN...

[quote=IGN]Fighting Games Popular examples: Super Smash Bros. Melee, Soul Calibur III

How it might work: Considering we already know that a Revolution version of Super Smash Bros. is currently under development, it goes without saying that the wizards at Nintendo have already given serious thought to the use of the controller in fighting games. Now imagine this: you've used the pointer to lock in your fighter selection, and you're controlling a classic Nintendo character in a vast 3D landscape using the attached analog stick. However, rather than reverting to the skilled-yet-panicked method of finely tuned button mashing, you're now making precision strikes to your opponents to thanks to pre-defined motions with the pointer.

Jab three times quickly to the right for a Kirby flurry of punches. Hold the pointer for two seconds to the right and then slam it left for a charged Smash slice from Link's trusty sword. While it may seem awkward to imagine, the possibilities for attacks are plenty, and each character would have its own predefined range of movements to master. Now toss in the buttons -- A for jumping, and B for grabbing items. The shoulder buttons above the analog stick could easily raise your shields and grapple your enemies. From there, how exactly you choose to punish them depends on the flick of your wrist. Given the physical, frantic, and furious nature of most fighting games, this is one genre that could be very satisfying to control with a little added motion. Just be careful not to get too carried away and smash your brand-new controller in the process.

Seems interesting...perhaps they will allow it to where you can use the old gamecube controllers as an alternative? Discuss.

Posted by Klarth

I know I'd certainly use the GCN's controllers with this one. I'm far too used to it.

Although, the "Vast 3D landscape" bit caught me off-guard. Mayhap this means it won't be the side-scrolling fighter it has been on the GCN and N64?

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I can't wavedash with that ****ing thing

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.3: I can't wavedash with that ****ing thing

YES I KNOW I FEEL IT TOO! Honestly i can't see myself performing any of those cool moves I can do on the current SSBM. I can't see myself wave-ding as Bulb said, and jumping seems kind of odd to do on that thing as well as shielding. I don't know how this thing will work out for my favorite fighting game on earth. I am buying the Rev for the new Smash that is supposedly said to be a lot more fun. The problem is, I can't make all those moves on that little box. I use both my hands when playing the game and the buttons on both sides for the GCN because, well I'm used to playing it that way and I feel comfortable with that button set up. I only hope they coem up with a good customization for the game though.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

They just showed the real deal

Its just the cube controller with dual joysticks instead of a c stick, and that ****ty thing is an attatchment

NOW I can wavedash with that ****, though I'm still using my cube controller if I'm given the option, for smash at least. Or else I can't wavedash with that ****.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Well there is absolutely no change in controller style for the new Smash then. I was kind of hoping for a new controller scheme, but I guess I can deal with the control set now. Though now that I know I will be using the same buttons, Bulb will pwn my arse when we go online. Crap I have no chance then.

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.3: They just showed the real deal

Its just the cube controller with dual joysticks instead of a c stick, and that ****ty thing is an attatchment

NOW I can wavedash with that ****, though I'm still using my cube controller if I'm given the option, for smash at least. Or else I can't wavedash with that ****.

The ****ty thing isn't an attachement. The controller shell is an attachement. Also, the controller shell you're talking about isn't real, it's a mock-up.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

no you see, I just don't care really, I just want to wavedash

Posted by Burrito

Oh, well, just making sure that you're not giving false information to people.

How disappointed would you be, exactly, if you couldn't wavedash? The new game might open up different advanced moves.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Yes/No

In the middle mostly because if I play it, and know I don't like it, its probably because I feel I can't do it with that. Unlike a classical wire controller. It's not a huge thing, I like change, but smash bros is the only system I play <--- its the ONLY game on any system I really play. Seeing that little thing he was holding into something that looked like a controller made me happy.

I could care less what either of the things were called, all I know is that it looked like a controller :-p

Posted by Mystic Hero

Yes and wave-ding is most effective in fights. I just hope this so called "mock controller" or the new skin controller is able to allow people to wave-D. You know, after you get so used to doing an effective technique like that, it's kind of hard to not ever do it again.

Posted by Drewboy64

I wouldnt give a crap if i couldnt wavedash. Why? Because 1,) i'd still win and... two... I don't know how to wavedash. The shell should be similar to the gamecube's controller, and I doubt Hal would totally change ssb's controls and make you move with the remote.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Quoting Drewboy64: I wouldnt give a crap if i couldnt wavedash. Why? Because 1,) i'd still win and... two... I don't know how to wavedash. The shell should be similar to the gamecube's controller, and I doubt Hal would totally change ssb's controls and make you move with the remote.

You'd win without doing a tactic so gamebreaking in the game, and without even know what it is you couls still say the same? I wish more people like you entered tournaments, easy brackets and such.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Thank *** for the shell. That's all I can say. Though... it should be interesting to see how they incorporate the remote (Menus?).

Posted by steve9842005

The remote with the joystick is the revolutions controller...not the shell not anything else. That shell is to play gc games on the revolution and they are making other shells like n64, snes, and nes to put the revolutions controller because of the downloadable library. You can't play the revolution with the gc shell. The remote is the revolutions controller

Quoted post: You can't play the revolution with the gc shell.

Sure you can.

Quoting IGN:
Q: What does the conventional controller cradle/shell do?

A: This add-on makes it possible to play Revolution games in a more traditional manner.

Quoted post: In a Revolution version of Madden Football, gamers might be able to use the combo to control players with the shell's analog sticks and execute pinpoint passes with the pointer's improved accuracy.

Posted by steve9842005

Thats not even the real thing, that is just what ign predicted and made a mock-up of it.

Quoted post: Thats not even the real thing, that is just what ign predicted and made a mock-up of it.

The image... yeah. But not the idea.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Uhh, there's no reason why some Revolution games can't use the GCN ports on the top of the console with a GCN controller. Same thing as there being no reason a DS game can't use the buttons cand not the touch screen.

Posted by Cola308

Nintendo: How can we bury our system before it hits the market?

Posted by gamer_net

Quoting Cola308: Nintendo: How can we bury our system before it hits the market?

Hey, they'll come up with something:

[QUOTE=nintendo.com]After the demonstration, Miyamoto stated that a number of third party developers (besides those mentioned above) had been shown the controller, and that the response was overwhelmingly enthusiastic. When Sega