Worst vocalists

Posted by Richaod

I'd say... the guy from Mastodon first, then Shagrath of Dimmu Borgir, then In Flames' vocalist post-2002.

Don't forget the guy from blink-182, he couldn't sing in tune to save his life.

Posted by Fiindil

Shagrath isn't too bad IMO

erm, most emo bands vocalists, whiny bastards

Posted by MetalVox~55

Definately the dude from Dragonforce. Way too Cheese-Metal for me

Posted by Gollum

The guy from Redemption isn't great, though I am fond of the band.

And Metalvox, I've been meaning to ask, who are those other two guys in that picture? I recognize only Petrucci.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Irrelevant: And Metalvox, I've been meaning to ask, who are those other two guys in that picture? I recognize only Petrucci.

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai :link:

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting MetalVox~55: Definately the dude from Dragonforce. Way too Cheese-Metal for me

oh bull ....

my answer is the majority of meta growlers/raspers

Posted by louder than a bomb

Hey guys, your precious subjectivity deems that you cannot judge any vocalists as "bad".

Sorry :(

Posted by Richaod

Quoting louder than a bomb: Hey guys, your precious subjectivity deems that you cannot judge any vocalists as "bad".

It means that they can't reject the opinions of others when they describe them as bad.

This is really getting on my nerves, so just shut up before your rep reaches -100.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Shagrath was pretty tolerable all the way up to Spiritual Black Dimensions which sounded like absolute crap.

Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes - Horrible, just horrible. He sounds like a guy who did nothing but drink for a decade, went to AA and is singing around all the other chemically tortured people with the most whiny, inconsistent voice all while strumming the same chords again and again. Example of a song: [url=http://www.saddle-creek.com/sounds/BrightEyes_HalighHaligh.mp3]Haligh Haligh[/url]

The dude from Finnugor - I swear he sounds like Gollum being brutally tortured. Then again you can't expect much from a guy that looks like [url=http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5487_photo.jpg]this[/url]. I don't know exactly which one he is but I don't think it really matters. Example of a song: [url=http://www.hammerheart.com/mp3/finnugor_lordofthedarkestfreedom.mp3]Lord of The Darkest Freedom[/url].

Also, the guy from Katakylsm sounds pretty bad when he tries to do Black Metal vocals. I tried finding the exact post, but I saw a guy compare it to a crocodile being raped while it vomited into the microphone. Too bad I can't find the actual quote.

Quoting Richaod: It means that they can't reject the opinions of others when they describe them as bad.

This is really getting on my nerves, so just shut up before your rep reaches -100.

Subjectivity means whatever you want it to mean, doesn't it?

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting louder than a bomb: Hey guys, your precious subjectivity deems that you cannot judge any vocalists as "bad".

Actually, subjectivity means that I can judge (being the keyword) a vocalist based on how I perceive the music. Anything such as music cannot be deemed entirely objective outside of 'there is a string vibrating and sending sound waves into the body of the guitar, etc'. It should be pretty much understood that subjectivity is what's behind our conclusions when it comes to how we view what songs are enjoyable. You can get into meanings behind the songs themselves and say that whatever's not classical is crap, the philosophies/music theory behind if an instrument is actually being played or beaten or even if what you're listening to is music or simple noise. But, you see, no one really cares so get over it.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting louder than a bomb: Subjectivity means whatever you want it to mean, doesn't it?

Here's a lesson for you.

In this thread, we are stating our opinions.

Opinions are 'subject' to personal taste.

When we disagree with an opinion, we can state it, eg:

Quoted post: Shagrath was pretty tolerable all the way up to Spiritual Black Dimensions which sounded like absolute crap.

... which is countering what someone else said about Shagrath always being crap.

This, however, is not acceptable...

Quoted post: I disagree with you, but I am right and you are wrong, because I am a better piano player than you, hence my opinion is worth more than yours.

This is also not acceptable...

Quoting You: *being an arsewipe*

Thankyou.

Posted by sabre

This thread's about personal opinions, is the thing. The one with the subjectivity in was about people's opinions being wrong.

Anyways, the Accomplice guy is pretty da[b][/b]mn bad.

Posted by junior senior

[color=#ff6633]Ashlee Simpson is a bad vocalist.
Wait...my mistake...she doesn't sing!
[/COLOR]

Posted by auzzman5151

Those A$$es from the band Europe

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Junior Senior: [color=#ff6633]Ashlee Simpson is a bad vocalist.
Wait...my mistake...she doesn't sing!
[/COLOR]

Heh, neither do Shagrath or the guy from Mastodon, etc. And that's why we don't like them!

Quoting TheSecondComing: Here's a lesson for you.

In this thread, we are stating our opinions.

Opinions are 'subject' to personal taste.

When we disagree with an opinion, we can state it, eg:

... which is countering what someone else said about Shagrath always being crap.

This, however, is not acceptable...

This is also not acceptable...

Thankyou.

My subjective opinion is that you contribute nothing to VGC.

Quoting louder than a bomb: My subjective opinion is that you contribute nothing to VGC.

And I think you're a tool.

Now get in line behind BJ, please.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

I don't know about the Mastodon guy, but Shagrath is one of the best metal vocalists I've heard.

The worst vocalists: ICP, the lead singer of Future Leaders of the World, Chingy, Ashlee Simpson, and the Spice Girls.

Posted by Fiindil

Almost all pop/rap/rnb etc 'artists', I can't stand any fo them, as well as the emo kids mentioned earlier.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Almost any Punk or Emo vocalist and the vocalist from mastadon...

Posted by Lazy Guitar

Quoting auzzman5151: Those A$$es from the band Europe

I disagree.

Kurt Cobain was pretty crappy. :)

Posted by auzzman5151

Ya but Europe was worse

Posted by Fiindil

The guy from Velvet Revolver, URGH! Everytime I hear a song by them I go a few steps closer to getting a rusty fork and digging out my ear

Posted by auzzman5151

Quoted post: The guy from Velvet Revolver, URGH! Everytime I hear a song by them I go a few steps closer to getting a rusty fork and digging out my ear

Scott Weilands sings better live. IMO

Posted by Fiindil

Well he can't get much bloody worse! IMO

Posted by Arwon

Quoting Funntroll: I disagree.

Kurt Cobain was pretty crappy. :)

Can you really criticise him for that when it was kinda the point?

That said, Cobain could scream tunefully. Many could learn from this.

Posted by Lazy Guitar

^Yes, he was trying to sound like s[color=skyblue]hit. Note how he succeeded.[/color]

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Fiindil: The guy from Velvet Revolver, URGH! Everytime I hear a song by them I go a few steps closer to getting a rusty fork and digging out my ear

I'm disturbed by how Scott Weiland manages to sound completely different in every single song. Sometimes he sounds like two different people in one song - and in a very different way to the Mikael Akerfeldt-Opeth thing.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Shin_Akuma: Almost any Punk or Emo vocalist and the vocalist from mastadon...

nice sweeping generalization.

Posted by Ch

I don't like hearing Zakk Wylde sing in BLS.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I like the vocalist from Mastodon. Mind you he can actually sing/scream very well, it's just that his style fits the music wonderully.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting rivercitytecmo: nice sweeping generalization.

but....he's right?

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I like the vocalist from Mastodon. Mind you he can actually sing/scream very well, it's just that his style fits the music wonderully.

I don't like the music much in the first place; it has some decent elements but is really far too riff-based for me to enjoy. Whether the vocalist is out of context or not, I really can't say that I like him at all. I even prefer Tom Araya.

Quoting MetalVox~55: but....he's right?

No he's not.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting TheSecondComing: No he's not.

shush! yes he is :mad:

Posted by twosauce

Wayne Static. I like his hair though.

Posted by sabre

Whoever the vocalist in Opeth was when they covered Number Of The Beast. Dear god, if you're going to be a vocalist, don't have a lisp.

Posted by The Punisher

Quoting Richaod: I'd say... the guy from Mastodon first, then Shagrath of Dimmu Borgir, then In Flames' vocalist post-2002.

Don't forget the guy from blink-182, he couldn't sing in tune to save his life.

Dude do not rat on Shagrath, him and the band have to be one of the best live acts i had ever seen. Plus Shagrath would own you ;).

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Sabredog][/color]

AAAAAAAAAH!

Actually, I've never heard any signs of him lisping in studio work (singing, anyway - who can lisp death metal, anyway?)... Listen to Windowpane or Benighted and you'll actually find one of the best "clean"-singing vocalists to ever exist. He's only the first person who I've ever considered as versatile and complex a vocalist as Daniel Johns (cue random falsetto).

Shagrath, eh? Dodgy name, dodgy black metal gimmick... It takes no real skill to do death or black metal vocals - I find guys like the In Flames vocalist and Shagrath really stupid because they have so little input. At least learn how to play a couple of chords on guitar or something like that. I never actually bagged the rest of Dimmu Borgir in the first place - they happen to have a lot of skill.

btw, I like In Flames, but not the vocalist, I like some thrash metal but hate the super-syncopated drumming, etc. I don't have to like every single thing about a certain band, you know.

also, plz note that Shagrath does not own me. kthx

Quoting Richaod:
also, plz note that Shagrath does not own me. kthx

Dude, his name's Shagrath. Give it up.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting TheSecondComing: Dude, his name's Shagrath. Give it up.

Heh, we both have made-up names. I actually got quite a few votes for Best Username in the Member Award nominations, and I'm sure anyone registered as Shagrath would've gotten less.

Posted by Lazy Guitar

Quoting Richaod: (singing, anyway - who can lisp death metal, anyway?)

The majority of his work I've heard wasn't actually growling. The given song being a perfect example. -_-;;;

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Richaod: I find guys like the In Flames vocalist and Shagrath really stupid because they have so little input. At least learn how to play a couple of chords on guitar or something like that.

Um. Shagrath played drums on the first album, lead guitar on the first two albums and he comes up with most of the keyboard lines. To add to that, something around 60% of their songs start off with the keyboard line first, so he definitely does have 'some' input. So, uh, read upon this stuff before you complain about them. Interestingly enough, Shagrath doesn't even think of himself as a vocalist but rather a guitar and keyboard player. Plus, even if he just did vocals, he'd still be 'playing' his respective instrument (voice). I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

The whole thought of somebody lisping death metal vocals is still making me laugh :D

Posted by Bebop

The singer from Kings of Leon can be pretty screechy at times.

Posted by -Shadow-

Billy Corgan

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting Mr.Smith: Billy Corgan

I agree

Posted by twosauce

Its takes talent to make that Billy Corgan voice, but its annoying as hell. It sounds like 2 chickens doing it.

Posted by Fiindil

Everyone from the band 'Kitty', please, someone shoot them, or something. They can't sing, play drums/guitar, or even scream, which they seem to do a lot. I've had the displeasure of listening to a few of their songs while watching Scuzz for a while, I lost the remote control >_<

Posted by twosauce

Courtney Love.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin-Ra: Um. Shagrath played drums on the first album, lead guitar on the first two albums and he comes up with most of the keyboard lines. To add to that, something around 60% of their songs start off with the keyboard line first, so he definitely does have 'some' input. So, uh, read upon this stuff before you complain about them. Interestingly enough, Shagrath doesn't even think of himself as a vocalist but rather a guitar and keyboard player. Plus, even if he just did vocals, he'd still be 'playing' his respective instrument (voice). I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

:tomato:

Nevertheless, he really doesn't have to do very much live, does he?

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Richaod:
Nevertheless, he really doesn't have to do very much live, does he?

What much can he do live? They have Galder and Silenoz on guitars, a very capable keyboarder and it's pretty difficult to play drums while singing (since Nick left and that spot's still open to my knowledge). I'm sure he could replace Galder, but that would mean the group would lose the catchy guitar melodies that makes them so accessible (which is, surprisingly, what they're going for). And replacing Vortex is out of the question for the obvious reasons. He does, however, 'own up' to his role as the frontman of the group by being very charismatic and doing exciting stuff (spewing blood, etc). I dunno, I see him singing (live at least) as being productive enough as it is. Hell, he's basically doing what Ozzy did for Black Sabbath which was just acting as an energetic frontman and singer, well... minus the harmonica. If you are interested in the group, or their live act in general, I highly recommend checking out their 'World Misanthropy' dvd. It's very entertaining and it gives some insight into the guys themselves since most of it is them just screwing around on their tour. Plus, the dvd is extremely long and full of fun content such as shows and the like.

Posted by Philsdad

Any female vocalist.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Philsdad: Any female vocalist.

Now that is tight.

Posted by Fiindil

Listen to Nightwist and/or Lacuna Coil and say that again.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Fiindil: Listen to Nightwist and/or Lacuna Coil and say that again.

[img]http://cis.niagara.edu/~s0071365/nightwish.JPG[/img]
[img]http://cis.niagara.edu/~s0071365/lacuna.JPG[/img]

Yep, I've listened to them alright. And I will say it again. Any female vocalist.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Philsdad: [img]Yep, I've listened to them alright. And I will say it again. Any female vocalist.

Sharon den Adel? She's far more talented than either Tarja or Christina.

Posted by Philsdad

I have all of Within Temptation's albums as well. I am not denying that they are talented vocalists, I just don't like it, and don't want to hear it. The only female vocals I can tolerate are background vocals, and if that usually only opera vocals.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Philsdad: and if that usually only opera vocals.

That's disturbing. Therion, for example, undoubtedly have one of the worst vocal styles ever created.

Actually, add Therion to number one in my list. Completely random people singing out-of-tune, incomprehensible opera vocals are useless. Plus it means that Therion's already-weak music lacks a frontman or (vocal) consistency to hold it together.

Posted by Philsdad

Well no shit, but Therion isn't a very good example to use. Listen to the song "Han" by Sad Legend, to see what I mean for example.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

phil, please get my aim name and let's talk sendingmealbumsplz

Posted by sabre

Quoting Richaod]Completely random people singing out-of-tune, incomprehensible opera vocals are useless.They've had lead singers before - Piotr Warzeniuk? Sides, if you're looking for "constant lead singer" in music, you're obviously not paying enough attention. Sometimes it works better to have different vocalists for different moods, for instance - would you rather they'd used Piotr for "From the Dionysian Days" than the choir they did? Or Chris? Besides, if you wanted the voices of a choir, would you go and audition twenty-odd different band members, then try and keep the band going at a "right direction" to appease twenty-three different members?

Be realistic.
[/color]

Posted by netman

Richoad's being elite again :kiss:

Rob pretty much made any points I would about Therion. Richaod you should stay away from Churches or Operas or anything like that if choirs to you are all out of tune and every which way.

Posted by sabre

Oh, and that guy from Ima Robot just makes IR's sucky music suck to a degree beyond the point at which unsucking is possible because he sucks so bad.

i really think he sucks

Posted by Lazy Guitar

I wonder if choirs can get perfect pitch...

Posted by rivercitytecmo

doesn't richaod worship linkin park and nickleback? that is to say, "why aren't all of you ignoring richaod's opinions about anything?".

Posted by Klarth

Possibly because he's a fool along with everyone who cares.

I really don't like Miyako Namikawa's voice much. Fairy Mirror (wtf) are actually a half-decent band (same vein as Sonata Arctica), but the singing lets it down.

Also; John Clohessy of Cruachan really irritates me. He should stick to bass.

Posted by G-Sides

The punk who sings for the Dilinger Escape Plan and the punk who sings for Bleeding Through. Their voices just plain out annoy the shit out of me. :mad:

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting G-Sides: The punk who sings for the Dilinger Escape Plan and the punk who sings for Bleeding Through. Their voices just plain out annoy the shit out of me. :mad:

Yeah they are pretty horrible....

Posted by netman

Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir.

He sounds like Popeye :(

Posted by Sterling

Kevin Lyttle
Beyonce
Justin Timberlake

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Sabredog]
Be realistic.
[/color]

I actually have all of Lemuria and Sirius B, and the vocal style I dislike is, say, the random people who sing the verses in (the song) Lemuria and Abraxas. I had absolutely no mention of choirs whatsoever in my post. Although I don't particularly like them too much either. Either way, I can never really hear the lyrics.

omg, rivercitytecmo ignored my opinion for six months.

Look at my favourites plz. kthx

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

so when did you stop worshipping linkin park, exactly?

Power Metal elitism is so funny.

I remember being called a "fag" on [url]www.metal-rules.com[/url] for saying that I liked Sonata Arctica. Boy, this place really feels weird after that.

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz:
I remember being called a "fag" on [url]www.metal-rules.com[/url] for saying that I liked Sonata Arctica.

Whereas here you'd be called a bandwagon follower ;)

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Richaod: Look at my favourites plz. kthx

it's currently filled with a bunch of metal, which at this board doesn't necessarily affirm a position of good taste. it just seems like you're being trendy and following the vgs crowd.

and silverchair sucks. they sucked 10 years ago and they suck now.

Quoting rivercitytecmo:

Hahaha. Werd.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting rivercitytecmo: it's currently filled with a bunch of metal, which at this board doesn't necessarily affirm a position of good taste. it just seems like you're being trendy and following the vgs crowd.

we have a winner!
close thread, it has served it's purpose.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Power Metal elitism is so funny.

Yup. Especially when you're like me and dislike pretty much the entire genre (Angra is a guilty pleasure).

Oh yeah, and the Linkin Park thing pretty much stopped the second after I played Ghost Love Score for the first time.

[quote=rivercitytecmo]
it's currently filled with a bunch of metal, which at this board doesn't necessarily affirm a position of good taste. it just seems like you're being trendy and following the vgs crowd.

k, you've done it now

Does anything necessarily affirm a position of good taste apart from your own bloatedly self-confident, egotistical opinions? How about you do something productive and make a couple of recommendations instead of being so blatant? Taking from the idea of subjectivity that I (admittedly, unlike everyone else who preaches it but still bags the crap out of everyone and intends to have others actually care) really only apply when it's a beneficial point in an argument, I'll simply not listen because that's probably what, at heart, you want done. I was nudged into Dream Theater by a single track Raptor mentioned in one post and a bit of whoring from Xenos, and that was months before anyone like Sabredog (who really does seem to get everything from netman) or Abraxas had tried anything out. And is Silverchair a trend? Are The Dissociatives and The John Butler Trio trends? I'm actually one of the few Silverchair fans who can actually appreciate The Dissociatives for the band they are. And if you looked at, say, my [url=http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/Richaod/]Audioscrobbler playlist[/url], I usually end up appreciating rather different songs of popular bands compared to others. Dream Theater's most listened song is The Glass Prison, and mine, Under A Glass Moon, is 29th on that list. Silverchair's most popular is Anthem For The Year 2000, and Tuna In The Brine and Across The Night are 31st and 27th respectively. And what kind of rock/metal fan listens to Daft Punk, The Cat Empire and Delta Goodrem, and hates power metal, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, the Pixies and Slayer? Is that a trend? Or is it an exhibitionist anti-trend (which is still a trend)? I think I'm on the loner's bandwagon for people who appear to be on a bandwagon but actually aren't, don't you?

And then you pick out the only band of my favourites that's not trendy and you discredit them. Is a song as complex as Emotion Sickness a work that one can convey an opinion of in a single word? Is Daniel Johns' vocal performance on tracks like Tuna In The Brine and Across The Night not skilful? Silverchair are vastly underappreciated, simply because their first singles off each album gave the impression of a grunge band. Which is what they were for one whole album (how overwhelming). Freak Show was more alternative rock. Neon Ballroom was just random, and Diorama an orchestral pop/rock masterpiece. I can't even name another band that's done orchestral pop, and it's probably my favourite genre (another anti-trend there?).

Did I mention that we're off-topic? To add another few to my list, Ozzy was never that great (or perhaps Ronnie James Dio is just really good), and I never really liked Bruce Dickinson either.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

sorry, i'm not going to read that much. i'll just assume that since my two sentences provoked that avalanche that i hit a nerve.

let me guess, though. you accuse me of being some type of elitist and then essentially call me a moron for not liking silverchair?

Posted by sabre

Quoting Richaod: I was nudged into Dream Theater by a single track Raptor mentioned in one post and a bit of whoring from Xenos, and that was months before anyone like Sabredog...

Um, unless I've got my facts scrambled, me and Xenos started listening to Dream Theater at approximately the same time; I've been a listener since about May or June of 2004, probably mid-late May. And the vB3, on which Raptor mentioned Dream Theater, started at the end of April, so even if you did start listening before me (which I'm pretty certain is wrong), it wasn't months by any stretch of the imagination. Just because I didn't post in the music board much back then didn't mean I didn't listen to music.

yah, usually I wouldn't bother responding to comments like that, but that point in your post seemed to be implying "LOL SABREDOG AND ABRAXAS ARE TRENDWHORES," and I kinda resent that when dream theater is my favourite band by such a wide margin that it's to the point of obsession. =(

Oh, and I don't really get all too much stuff from netman now; I tend to quite evenly balance my own research with him as a resource, and have ended up buying CDs more than downloading. Besides, netman's and my tastes have started to seperate, I feel. A coupla months back, I don't think I had a thing in my media library which didn't stem from the guy, however. :cool: Well, except Helloween.

Quoting Richaod: Especially when you're like me and dislike pretty much the entire genre

The Dream theatre album you continuously whore out to me as 'nothing like Images and Words' is power metal. Most Metallica is also power metal.

Quoted post: How about you do something productive and make a couple of recommendations instead of being so blatant?

Put your hands up if you have no intention of ever randomly downloading a recommendation from anyone.

Quoted post: I usually end up appreciating rather different songs of popular bands compared to others. Dream Theater's most listened song is The Glass Prison, and mine, Under A Glass Moon, is 29th on that list. Silverchair's most popular is Anthem For The Year 2000, and Tuna In The Brine and Across The Night are 31st and 27th respectively. And what kind of rock/metal fan listens to Daft Punk, The Cat Empire and Delta Goodrem, and hates power metal, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, the Pixies and Slayer?

Because unpopularity and diversity automatically equal goodness!

Quoted post: Is a song as complex as Emotion Sickness a work that one can convey an opinion of in a single word?

How about 'crap'?

Quoted post: Silverchair are vastly underappreciated, simply because their first singles off each album gave the impression of a grunge band. Which is what they were for one whole album (how overwhelming).

Underappreciated? Every impressionable listener in the world loves them.

Quoted post: Freak Show was more alternative rock. Neon Ballroom was just random, and Diorama an orchestral pop/rock masterpiece. I can't even name another band that's done orchestral pop, and it's probably my favourite genre (another anti-trend there?).

Orchestral pop? How about the Beatles, the Flaming Lips, the Polyphonic Spree? All of them make remarkably similar music.

Quoted post: Did I mention that we're off-topic? To add another few to my list, Ozzy was never that great

LIE LIE LIE LIE!

Posted by sabre

Quoting TheSecondComing: The Dream theatre album you continuously whore out to me as 'nothing like Images and Words' is power metal. Most Metallica is also power metal.

Tell me.

Do you have a clue what Power Metal is?

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting TheSecondComing:
Put your hands up if you have no intention of ever randomly downloading a recommendation from anyone.

not to mention that if he wanted recommendations he could take his own advice and "Look at my favourites plz. kthx".

Posted by Lazy Guitar

Quoting TheSecondComing: The Dream theatre album you continuously whore out to me as 'nothing like Images and Words' is power metal. Most Metallica is also power metal.

They released Fairy Metal reissues of Master of Puppets?

Metallica is thrash metal. Dream Theater is progressive metal. Neither of them are even in the same pink boat with power metal.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting TheSecondComing: Whereas here you'd be called a bandwagon follower ;)

and rightfully so, had I suddenly completely altered my tastes towards power metal when the surge hit ;)

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

sarah mclachlan and stevie nicks, good sir

Posted by Richaod

Quoting rivercitytecmo: sorry, i'm not going to read that much. i'll just assume that since my two sentences provoked that avalanche that i hit a nerve.

let me guess, though. you accuse me of being some type of elitist and then essentially call me a moron for not liking silverchair?

Thanks for changing your position.

Tell me, is there anything with me calling you a moron (which I really didn't) for not liking Silverchair when you call me a moron for liking them (and previously Linkin Park, etc.)?

TSC, convenient that you can't remember the name of said Dream Theater album. I can't remember quite which one it is either. But if it is power metal, then that makes Images And Words something completely different. IAW is actually much closer to power metal - there's happiness and soft-ish snare drums. Power metal is actually Iron Maiden, Sonata Arctica, early Nightwish, etc. If I really do dislike almost the entire genre, and Dream Theater is included, then they're an exception. There always are. The only time I've ever heard a genre that mislabelled is when some critic (who wrote a decent book on metal's history) I know of labelled Kill 'Em All as power metal, but Master Of Puppets as thrash. There's surely something wrong there. Also, I did hint when talking about Ozzy that it may well have been Ronnie James Dio's skill that gives Ozzy a bad sound. It probably is.

btw Funntroll, Dream Theater did actually cover the whole Master Of Puppets album, and with guitars almost one and a half times as heavy as the original, if that's what you're on about...

Quoting Richaod: Also, I did hint when talking about Ozzy that it may well have been Ronnie James Dio's skill that gives Ozzy a bad sound. It probably is.

Ozzy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ronnie 'I made Black Sabbath suck' Dio.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting TheSecondComing: Ozzy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ronnie 'I made Black Sabbath suck' Dio.

Oh, I applaud the amount of evidence that appeared in that post.

Since you usually like majority opinions, well, I and a lot of others prefer Ronnie James Dio as a vocalist. Whether Black Sabbath was better with or without Ozzy is irrelevant.

I do prefer songs like Heaven And Hell to, say, Paranoid. I like War Pigs about as much.

Posted by netman

Iron Maiden isn't power metal

Posted by Richaod

Quoting netman: Iron Maiden isn't power metal

They're more power metal than Metallica, that's for sure.

I've heard them remarked on as NWOBHM, which is true, but that's really not a genre at all. Since when does a country or a time period define a genre?

Iron Maiden are, at the very least, the origins of power metal. The drumming, the vocals, the guitars and generally cheesy mood... It seems to fit.

Perhaps I need a lesson on the definitions of power metal, but I don't think I'm too disillusioned.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Iron Maiden isn't power metal

Indeed, more NWOBHM.

Posted by netman

Metallica isn't power metal

Quoting Richaod: Oh, I applaud the amount of evidence that appeared in that post.

You can't actually use 'evidence' in a discussion like this.

Quoted post: Since you usually like majority opinions,

If I liked majority opinions, I'd be orgasming myself over Dream Theatre and Nightwish like everyone else on these boards.

Quoted post: well, I and a lot of others prefer Ronnie James Dio as a vocalist.

And I'm saying he BLOWS HARD. Maybe he appeals more to the 'radical' Dream Theatre fanbase, but I just have to chip in here, Diko and Dream Theatre's and Nightwishes' vocalists are boring, but Ozzy is exciting. Dio only appeals to people who listen like a hawk to find out whether the vocalist is 'orgasmically technically proficiently talented OMG this 18 minute epic is classic and beautiful like a Mozart 2nd Concerto purple monkey dishwasher'.

Quoted post: Whether Black Sabbath was better with or without Ozzy is irrelevant.

It's pretty much the crux of the argument.

Quoted post: I do prefer songs like Heaven And Hell to, say, Paranoid.

Paranoid being the classic, if slightly copied, metal song, and Heaven And Hell being a mainly boring song with elitist appeal, and- oh wait. Elitist appeal. Now I get it.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

this thread just gets worse and worse

Iron Maiden= power metal? Ozzy > Dio? Metallica=power metal!?

you people have no idea what you're talking about, and I find that funny

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Richaod:
Tell me, is there anything with me calling you a moron (which I really didn't) for not liking Silverchair when you call me a moron for liking them (and previously Linkin Park, etc.)?

there's something wrong with you calling me a moron because i don't talk on and on about subjectivity. you're hypocritical for calling me a moron; i'm just being my normal, bad-*** self. you can't condemn me for disregarding opinions about ****ty music and then disregard my opinion.

Posted by Lazy Guitar

Quoting Richaod: Oh, I applaud the amount of evidence that appeared in that post.

Hi. I'm richaod, and I need a lot of evidence to support my opinions on someone's music. :)

OMFJEDIT:

[quote=choad]btw Funntroll, Dream Theater did actually cover the whole Master Of Puppets album, and with guitars almost one and a half times as heavy as the original, if that's what you're on about...

Dream Theater is not power metal, it is prog metal. Metallica is not power metal, it's been thrash and speed metal. Some Iron Maiden contains mythological lyrical themes, however it is not power metal, it is NWOBHM. If you refuse to call it that, call it Heavy Metal. -_-;;;;;;;

Posted by netman

I think we've all learned to point and laugh when richaod talks about music :)

Posted by sabre

Quoting netman: I think we've all learned to point and laugh when richaod talks about music :)

Sabredog agrees!

i gave you rep too recently. :[b][/b]( But yeah, I think this debate has discredited him a lot. :/

Posted by ZEN

I can't stand the guy who sings that "Hey There Lonely Girl" song. He's really high pitched in a nasally drone kind of way.
Hearing that song with that voice is torture.

Posted by Kaise Suratu

The worst vocalist (live) would be Ashely Simpson & Avril Lavigne. Some R & B artist is aweful as well as puke emo bands. I'm not a big fan of rap, but most rap artists don't use any vocals in there songs, there tallent is based around traditional poetry. So I don't know why people are judging rap artists on their vocals.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting rivercitytecmo: there's something wrong with you calling me a moron because i don't talk on and on about subjectivity. you're hypocritical for calling me a moron; i'm just being my normal, bad-*** self. you can't condemn me for disregarding opinions about ****ty music and then disregard my opinion.

That makes absolutely no sense. Actually describing yourself as badass?

k, well, what's the difference between me calling you a moron and you calling me a moron? That if you act like one all the time, it turns into something completely different that I have to tolerate? Stop trying to make everyone worship yourself. What's the point? So you'll be thought of as "cool"?

[quote=Sabredog]But yeah, I think this debate has discredited him a lot. :/

Why, because someone said something random and untrue at the right time? I think I know myself better than rivercitytecmo does.

btw Funntroll, I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the Dream Theater/Metallica thing. I certainly know that neither of them are power metal, simply that DT's earlier work has far more power metal elements than their later albums (like the cheese/soft snare drums).

And if Iron Maiden isn't really power metal, then what's a single band that sums the genre up?

Posted by sabre

Quoting Richaod]Why, because someone said something random and untrue at the right time? I think I know myself better than rivercitytecmo does.Forgetting Blind Guardian, here?

Posted by sabre

Quoting Funntroll: Forgetting Blind Guardian, here?

I wouldn't exactly call them definitive, as such, they have a certain element to them which strays from the genre slightly. They're an example of good power metal, however. Not that At Vance and Helloween aren't good.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Richaod: That makes absolutely no sense. Actually describing yourself as badass?

you are so dense. i'll say this again: the reason it's different for me is that i've made it abundantly clear that i don't care about people's opinions. you, on the other hand, are constantly whining about how everybody''s opinion is valid. then, you treat my opinion as invalid because i dislike one of your favorite--and ****ty--bands.

i'm calling you on being a hypocrite, not for disregarding my opinion. don't make me explain that again.

i also have no idea what you're talking about with me "trying to look cool". if anyone thinks i'm cool, so be it. but i'm pretty sure most people just ignore me.

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: this thread just gets worse and worse

Hahaha, yeah, I'm definitely a bit rusty on my heavy metal vocabulary.

But I still stick with Ozzy > Dio. :cool2:

Posted by Nep0

- Must...resist...dropping...gems! -
D*mnit tec, it's been too long.
____

I'm a bit too fatigued for making calls like these, but in the end, it's understood.
Drowning Pool's former singer. Now we've gotta get the other fella 'cause he's just as pathetic.
That dude from Jet, along with his powerchord self and lame excuse for a band.
I've grown all too fed up with country vocalists, especially nowadays. They're all sounding alike more than ever. It's bad enough that they whine, but then they have to go about and do that little noise that, to me, resembles a dog's yawn right before their mouth closes. Maybe I'm just now noticing this due to having been forced to hear the music nowadays. I'd probably be less depressed if it were played backwards; your wife's at home, the dog's alive and you have a full mug of beer.

50 cent 'cause he supposely sings.
Skindrid (or whatever the spelling) due to being lamely overdone.
Any vocalist who'll sound fantastic in studio due to equalizing, and not have anything to show for it on stage (well, anything you'd want to hear.).
Any vocalist which sound like other singers. This is moreso a pop music thing.
Muddle Of Pudd's vocalist because he's not Kurt Cobain and thank Gilbert Godfrey for that.

How could I have forgotten The Darkness? Wrong band, sonny. And take those D amn-shame-for-lyrics with you!

Waiit, can't depart just yet!

Every contestant who has stepped onto the stage of American Idol since season one. Alright, which one of you tasteless motherfookers got those of us bearing class stuck with having to experience the media's whoring about this crap for yet another year? Watching failure at work is humorous, but it's not worth the earache.
I'll never forget what Conan's Triumph The Insult Comic Dog said way when they brought in Simon for a talk. Acually, I did forget. It was something along the lines of "You telling me I suck is like barf telling sh

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: this thread just gets worse and worse

I don't usually agree with you, but Christ, this thread is a fucking nightmare. This is, generally speaking, why I avoid this forum. Let me throw something out there, though; why the Hell are you at each others throats over something as trivial as a MUSIC GENERE? I mean, there are much better things to argue about than some sub-sub-genere or whatever it is you're getting at. Also, the sheer amount of wrong in this thread is alarming. I've never heard Iron Maiden was "power metal" before. If you're going to be stupid, at least do it correctly.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting rivercitytecmo: you are so dense. i'll say this again: the reason it's different for me is that i've made it abundantly clear that i don't care about people's opinions. you, on the other hand, are constantly whining about how everybody''s opinion is valid. then, you treat my opinion as invalid because i dislike one of your favorite--and ****ty--bands.

i'm calling you on being a hypocrite, not for disregarding my opinion. don't make me explain that again.

i also have no idea what you're talking about with me "trying to look cool". if anyone thinks i'm cool, so be it. but i'm pretty sure most people just ignore me.

I've never actually said that everyone's opinion is valid. I said that subjectivity works if everyone's listened to the exact same songs, and that's obviously an impossible situation. My view on it is that if two people have listened to the same song in detail, their views are valid if they can both explain why/why not they like the songs.

And quite obviously, you probably couldn't even name a single song from Silverchair's most recent album, let alone the album itself, without having to look it up. Surely a throwaway opinion isn't worth one built up in detail?

k, now stop it with the bigotry please. We have more than enough of it on the boards without it clogging up as simple a thread as this. I asked people's opinions on the worst vocalists. You don't care about other people's opinions? You cared enough to make a big deal about them caring about mine

[quote=Irrelevant]After you're done listening to some of that, listen to Metallica and tell me whether the two sound at all alike. Hell, even netty know that Metallica isn't power metal.

I never mentioned any similarity between Metallica and power metal at all. I said something about Kill 'Em All once being classified as power metal and Master Of Puppets as thrash, but I certainly didn't agree with that.

Posted by Lazy Guitar

... Hold up...

Quoting Richaod: btw Funntroll, I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the Dream Theater/Metallica thing. I certainly know that neither of them are power metal, simply that DT's earlier work has far more power metal elements than their later albums (like the cheese/soft snare drums).
... I quoted TheSecondComing. Shit, I always said he was your clone.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Richaod: You don't care about other people's opinions? You cared enough to make a big deal about them caring about mine

once again, i'm calling you on being a hypocrite (to which several people agree), not debating your opinions.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting rivercitytecmo: once again, i'm calling you on being a hypocrite (to which several people agree), not debating your opinions.

Once again, I have forgotten its relevance in the light of my previous statement.

Posted by thug2777

THE PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T WIN AMERICAN IDOL

Posted by Y3kMISFIT

Quoting thug2777: THE PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T WIN AMERICAN IDOL

Dude WIlliam Hung didn't win and he has tons of money and prolly porks hot babes every night, who cares if your voice sucks. It's what you do with it.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Y3kMISFIT: and prolly porks hot babes every night

I'm pretty doubtful of that.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

man Richoad. . . seeing you in this thread after that haymaker of a crack that netman made. . . it's like watching a kid that got his *** kicked come back to school the next day. You just want to make fun of him :(

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: man Richoad. . . seeing you in this thread after that haymaker of a crack that netman made. . . it's like watching a kid that got his *** kicked come back to school the next day. You just want to make fun of him :(

Make fun of who?

As if their posts had any relevance to the thread topic in the first place.

Posted by William

There's WAY too many bad vocalists, but the one that annoys me the most, is Tom Delonge from Blink 182.