This G0dless Endeavor - Nevermore

Posted by Richaod

Okay, I was at first slow to get this. Despite all the hype and positive reviews, which usually are the main factors in getting me to listen to an album, I was somewhat doubtful at first. I already had Dead Heart, In A Dead World, which didn't really hook me in at all. It was likeable, but it gave me the image of Nevermore as somewhat formulaic, riff-based and overly solo-oriented.

Anyway, now I have their new album, and it's as tr00 as tr00 metal can be. I tend to scorn that style of music (whether it's Manowar or kvlt black metal), but I can't really say this at all about This G0dless Endeavor. It's one of the heaviest albums that's been released in a while (others being Character by Dark Tranquillity, Alien by Strapping Young Lad, and Candlemass' self-titled... okay, that's quite a few), which certainly can't be a bad thing.

Generally, the songs are about five minutes in length, and all very tightly and solidly packed. There aren't any long, meandering sections of music, and as usual when you get such generally popular and extremely consistent albums, the only thing that can be criticised is that the songs are all a bit similar. That just means there's more good material to go around though. I've practically just listened to the whole album through, and I can't say I'm bored. The subgenres of the album are a bit less blurred than usual with new metal releases; you could call it general metal, but with quite a thrash influence, some melodic death moments and power-metallish (but far better, in a non-annoying way) drumming.

This would actually be quite a good album to introduce nu-metal fans to some good tr00 metal. That's not saying that This G0dless Endeavor is anything like nu-metal, but the solos and the heaviness just can't be overlooked by anyone. I can't really see why a Slipknot fan couldn't get into this sort of stuff; I mean, I started from even lower on the musical "ladder".

Okay, whatever. Good album, not as overrated as I thought it'd be, extremely heavy, get it now.

Posted by Shin-Ra

It was nothing special, I like "Born" and that's about it. Dreaming Neon Black was, in my mind, easily their best work. Emotional, powerful and presenting a very lifelike situation.

Quoting Richaod: Anyway, now I have their new album, and it's as tr00 as tr00 metal can be. I tend to scorn that style of music (whether it's Manowar or kvlt black metal)

Hahahaha, you ****ing retard.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin-Ra: It was nothing special, I like "Born" and that's about it. Dreaming Neon Black was, in my mind, easily their best work. Emotional, powerful and presenting a very lifelike situation.
I keep hearing that Dead Heart, In A Dead World was. I can't really agree.

[quote=Shin-Ra]Hahahaha, you ****ing retard.

lol, association

Well, it's more the whole "tr00 metal" mentality that's a bit... weird. It's pretty clear that if kvlt black metalheads had their way, all music would be like Mayhem/Burzum and would sound exactly the same.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Richaod:
Well, it's more the whole "tr00 metal" mentality that's a bit... weird. It's pretty clear that if kvlt black metalheads had their way, all music would be like Mayhem/Burzum and would sound exactly the same.

If people were trying to model band members out of guys like Varg, then they'd be familiar with his little saying about 'if you can't make original, unique black metal; then you have no place making it'. So don't even start that, or use a different example that don't contradict themselves or contain horrible bands (looking at the Mayhem).

And if they were tr00ly kvlt, then they'd never listen to Mayhem. Even Burzum would be pushing it. Plus, kvlt kids are retarded. Really though man, what black metal have you heard? I'm just curious, since you apparently "scorn" it.

[quote]I keep hearing that Dead Heart, In A Dead World was
That album's... ok, I guess. "Insignificant" and "Believe in Nothing" are the only tracks I'd recommend to anyone. The rest seems like it's being hard, for the sake of being hard. Very mediocre in my opinion. But hey, Dreaming Neon Black has to do with the singer's fiance getting sucked into a drug cult and killing herself. Now that's some entertaining ****.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I like this album alot. I probably like more than i should, due to seeing them play half of this album live.

Posted by Klarth

Garbles just burned it for me like two days ago and I haven't got around to listening to it.

I already have Sentient 6 and it's pretty rad!

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Awesome cd. I still like Enemies Of Reality a bit more though.

Posted by Megatron

For some reason when it comes to Nevermore I'll really dig their new album for a few months and then never want to listen to it again.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Megatron: For some reason when it comes to Nevermore I'll really dig their new album for a few months and then never want to listen to it again.

Yeah, there isn't really that element of longevity where you can just listen to the stuff on repeat, over and over again.

It's still a good album though.

Posted by Dexter

I found it lyrically intriguing but musically boring, much like Enemies of Reality. Dreaming Neon Black and Dead Heart is still my Favorite material from them.

I would like to go into this topic deeper and share more of my thoughts, but I have been served a terribly low amount of leisure time lately. Don't worry, friends, I will return to my regular life in about a week.