Defects on the DS

Posted by ExoXile

Hiya, well mine has a dead pixel.
And i've got a minor scratch from nothing at all really, would be Another Code: Two memories (Trace memory).

I think it's pretty crappy the DS gets scratches so early for so little.
Don't get me wrong, i love me DS.
Just naming some Defects, which could be better.

So, anyone else with defects?

Posted by Mystic Hero

Ok first off, almost all DS's have dead pixels when you get them. No DS is perfect and doesn't have at least one dead pixel. And you can always wash the scratches off the touch screen with a cloth or wet paper towel, or so I heard this works well.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I have a pixel that gets stuck on reds. Its only noticeable when the screen goes black. Otherwise, it's perfectly fine.

Posted by Mystic Hero

They are random actually. I have a about six. Three on the top and three ont he bottom. They come in many colors from blue, red, gree, yellow, white, and so forth. It's just a natural part of the system. There is no real way to get rid of 100% of them.

Posted by Drewboy64

If you have dead pixels, just get a new one from Nintendo. As for the scratch, you should have just been more careful, but most scratches are unnoticeable when playing agame.

Quoting Mystic Hero: Ok first off, almost all DS's have dead pixels when you get them. No DS is perfect and doesn't have at least one dead pixel. And you can always wash the scratches off the touch screen with a cloth or wet paper towel, or so I heard this works well.

How is that supposed to work?

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Vampiro: I have a pixel that gets stuck on reds. Its only noticeable when the screen goes black. Otherwise, it's perfectly fine.

Doesn't that mean... it's a warm pixel? lol.
Well, mine is pretty much SMACK in the center of the T-screen :( (white one)

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting Mystic Hero: No DS is perfect and doesn't have at least one dead pixel. And you can always wash the scratches off the touch screen with a cloth or wet paper towel, or so I heard this works well.

Your right, you can. My "scratches" on the touch pad rub off easily.

Posted by verystrait42

i must have been lucky because my DS dosen't have any dead pixels

Posted by Speedfreak

They're not scratches, they're just lines in the dust/grease everyday use will accumulate made by the stylus.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Mystic Hero: Ok first off, almost all DS's have dead pixels when you get them. No DS is perfect and doesn't have at least one dead pixel. And you can always wash the scratches off the touch screen with a cloth or wet paper towel, or so I heard this works well.

Well mine's got a S-C-R-A-T-C-H.
And no, it doesn't come of with a we cloth.

And i know numerous people with a Dead Pixel Free DS's.

Posted by Drewboy64

yeah, lots of people dont have dead pixels. But nevertheless, just call nintendo's customer service or something to trade it in for another. I wish there was a way to get rid of my scratches.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Well I don't havv any permanent scratches. Scratches made by the stylus really shouldn't be all that permanent. What do you do to that touch screen anyway use a needle to touch the screen? But seriously, just try cleaning it off with some cleaning implaments. If water doesn't work try Windex, I heard that can sometimes work. Otherwise I have no other advise for you. The pixels you have to kind of get used to. If you have a dead pixel free DS then you are one of the lucky ones. I for one have about six or more dead pixels, all of which I am used to seeing now so they don't bother rme much.

Posted by Arczu

Scratches made by the stylus (that are permanent) must mean that you may have been pressing the screen too hard. Probably not, but it can be a reason. I don't have any dead pixels either, and I bought this one used.

Posted by The Punisher

Mine has a few scrathces on the touch screen, but nothing that isnt noticable. As for dead pixels I dont have any on my DS. I must have got realy lucky when I bought it.

Posted by dylananisa

lots of dead pixles in mine and in my psp:(:(:(

Posted by Zeta

I've got 1 dead pixel on the bottom of my DS's top screen, but its only noticable when I play GBA games.

Posted by Drewboy64

"scratches" made by the stylus that can be washed off are just waxy lines, get it right. And if you have dead pixels, just trade it in for another one.

Posted by The Punisher

I didnt have a thumbstrap with mine, its not realy a defect, just kinda sucked. So I became hell on wheels with the stylus.

Posted by dylananisa

YAY 4 HELL ON WHEELS!!!!!

Posted by Bebop

One dead pixel but thats about it.

But a mate of mine used his thumbstrap old skool and his touch screen is covered in scratches and blurry.

Posted by ExoXile

I also noticed now when i was playing Castlevania: DS.

My bat died (when it was fully charged) in just 3h and 41m :(

Buy a new one, that should fix it.

Posted by The Punisher

Quoting ExoXile: I also noticed now when i was playing Castlevania: DS.

My bat died (when it was fully charged) in just 3h and 41m :(

Yeah I would strongly suggest sending it back to Nintendo. Hopefuly you can get a new one. My DS lasts forever.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Vampiro: Buy a new one, that should fix it.

Shouldn't the warranty be enugh?

Quoted post: Shouldn't the warranty be enugh?

Probably, but a replacement battery isn't much. Plus, warranties are a pain in the ***.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Vampiro: Probably, but a replacement battery isn't much. Plus, warranties are a pain in the ***.

I have a dead pixel too.. or a green one.

Shouldn't that be enugh to get a new one?

Quoted post: I have a dead pixel too.. or a green one.

Shouldn't that be enugh to get a new one?

Oh right, the pixel. Yeah, send it back to Nintendo.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Vampiro: Oh right, the pixel. Yeah, send it back to Nintendo.

I've sent an Email to'em.
But i have yet to get a response :(

Posted by Drewboy64

Did you email Nintendo of America? And I think you could just call customer services or something, but my DS has no defects (other then the scratches i gave it like an idiot), so I'm not sure.

Posted by ExoXile

Heh, no i mailed Swedens... Nintendo "SomeThing"
And i'll probably get an answer in short.... i've got bad luck :(

How did you get your scratch?
I got mine from just playing MP: Hunters [1st hunt].

Posted by Drewboy64

well i have unnoticable scratches (when I'm playing) on the touch screen, but the paint is scratched. No too badly, but pretty bad nonetheless. I just dropped it too many times, but good thing the DS is durable.

Posted by ExoXile

Hehe, i haven't droped mine a single time :D

My scratch is only visable in daylight/bright light.
Still, annoying.

Posted by The Punisher

You might not get an e-mail back, so I would suggest calling NOS or NOA where ever you live. Good luck getting it repaired.

Posted by ExoXile

Yeah, they suggested me to send it with a copy of the receipt.
And they should "See" what they could do.

So... I guess i have no choice but to do it.

Posted by Robb4248

I have NO dead pixles... i bought it right whn it came out... hmm... wonder why? But i agree, SCARTCHES EASILY!

Posted by FullMetal

Your right it does scratch easily but I still like it.

Posted by CS Ryan

Mine actually has no dead pixels at all but every once in a while when I put in a GBA game, it says "There is no GBA Game Pak inserted." and "There is a DS Option Pak inserted."

Posted by ExoXile

I sent my NDS to Nintendo with a dead pixel.
And i got it back, with a new... BRIGHTER, dead/hot?/green/pixel! :(

Posted by Drewboy64

I guess you're just pretty unlucky then...

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=somewhat117]Mine actually has no dead pixels at all but every once in a while when I put in a GBA game, it says "There is no GBA Game Pak inserted." and "There is a DS Option Pak inserted."

If you put a Monster Brain in, you can make it say that.

Im lucky enough not to have any dead pixels on my DS, but I did notice one little annoyance. If you use the thumbstrap often, the "Nintendo" letters start to fall of the side. This just makes it look wierd. However, I'm planing to use the one included with Mario Kart DS when I get it.

If you want a mint condition DS, DO NOT play Wario Ware: Touched. Your touch screen will get scratched up faster than a fish stick at a cat festival.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Drewboy64: I guess you're just pretty unlucky then...

So you don't think i can send it back, again?

Quoted post: So you don't think i can send it back, again?

Yes, the whole point of sending it back the first time was so they would fix the problem. They didn't, so send it back.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Vampiro: Yes, the whole point of sending it back the first time was so they would fix the problem. They didn't, so send it back.

I will then :)

Hmmmm, why didn't they check the darn thing before they sent it back? :(

Quoted post: Hmmmm, why didn't they check the darn thing before they sent it back?

That's a very good question. Unless they did check it, just not properly.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Vampiro: That's a very good question. Unless they did check it, just not properly.

The pixel doesn't show up before a game starts, or a black screen.

And since the NDS "startup"-"BIOS" is all white they could have missed it.
The pixel is pretty far to the left so it might have been hard to notice...
But when a game starts the first thing you see is that darn pixel :(

Posted by DrewC

yeah mine scratched easy too )= i took a nice chunk out of the paint just below the top screen in the right corner where the lid should cover it, and the lid is ALWAYS covering it, so i cant figure out how this happened )=

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

The first one I had had a pixel that would show everything except red. I only noticed it after I was waiting in the bus stop and got fairly far in WW:Touched. Well, I wasn't pleased, went back and got another - and it's dead pixel free!

Posted by Linko_16

Mine's free of dead pixels, and isn't scratched at all. If you scratch the screen just from everyday play, you're probably using it way too hard. Try a softer stroke, and increase sensitivity if necessary.

Quoted post: The first one I had had a pixel that would show everything except red.

And mine shows nothing but red.

coincidence?!

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Linko_16: and increase sensitivity if necessary.

And how does one do that?

Tap more lightly while calibrating?

(And mine's pixel-free now too!)[spoiler]
....................[/spoiler]|

I don't think he means that, I think it's more something you do yourself. I also took it to mean the word 'pressure'.

As in, if you're pressing it really lightly and it's not working, you might want to press it ever so slightly harder - but still less hard than you were before.

Posted by ExoXile

That's what I usually do! (Aside from the first time I played First Hunt)

And now that i've compared my touch screen with two of my friends, I must say mine look a heck lot better.

But that sould be because I usually refrain from using the stylus and the touch screen at all.
Cept when I play through a game for the first time.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting ExoXile: And how does one do that?

Tap more lightly while calibrating?

My bad... I could've sworn there was an option to adjust sensitivity, but I guess not. Try Wing's advice instead.

Quoting Linko_16: My bad... I could've sworn there was an option to adjust sensitivity, but I guess not. Try Wing's advice instead.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/willeth/aposwp.jpg[/IMG]

You heard the man.

lol wing

the earth is doomed

Quoted post: And now that i've compared my touch screen with two of my friends, I must say mine look a heck lot better.

So does mine, and I own "Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan". Mind you, I use a screen protector because of that game. But still.

Posted by ExoXile

I used a screen protector at first, but the image got "blurry" and the stylus got worn out!

So I don't, anymore :D

Quoted post: I used a screen protector at first, but the image got "blurry" and the stylus got worn out!

Really? I haven't had that problem yet, nor have I heard of it.

Hm, I'll watch out for it though.

I never used a screen protector. I never saw the point on a clamshell device.

Posted by maian

Heh, I've had mine since launch month, and I still have no dead pixels whatsoever. I have a few barely noticeable scratches (They look like fake scratches, but they're not. Just really small..)

However, I get problems with my shoulder buttons. I think this is from playing Mario and Luigi (GBA) too much. >_> They work half the time, the other half, they...don't.

Quoted post: I never used a screen protector. I never saw the point on a clamshell device.

Play Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan on a higher difficulty. You'll see the point.

Posted by ExoXile

I've seen the point, still.
Would you use the stylus you've used on the screen protector on the actual screen?

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Wings: [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/willeth/aposwp.jpg[/IMG]

You heard the man.

I did a double take when I first typed that, but said to myself in a half-second, "No, putting the apostrophe after the 's' would mean there'd be more than one of him." I guess ruling out one possible solution without giving it more than two seconds of thought meant I had it right the first time.

Quoted post: "No, putting the apostrophe after the 's' would mean there'd be more than one of him."

That's quite the logic you got there.

l, if my name was 'Wing' that would be the case. But, yeah. Apostrophation needs to be taught correctly.

Posted by junior senior

Wing?

Posted by Linko_16

Wing's -> belongs to one guy named Wing -> Wrong

Wings' -> belongs to many people named Wings -> Wrong

Wings's -> belongs to one guy named Wings -> CORRECT!!

Get off my back about it. It was a quick mistake. :(

Quoted post: Wings' -> belongs to many people named Wings -> Wrong

Unless that persons name is Wings.

It's like "This is Jesus' shoe".

Yeah. Wings' can also be "belongs to Wings".

The rule is basically that ay modern name ending in S, the name requires a second one:

"Wings's post"
"Bridget Jones's Diary"

If it ends with an S that sounds like a Z, you have an exception:

The bridges' construction (when talking about multiple bridges)
Moses' burning bush

With words from the ancient world (and Jesus), it also isn't required:

Pythagoras' theorem
Achilles' heel

Yeah. So in this case, the correct one is Wings's, although Wings' would not be wrong - because, annoyingly, schools of thought differ on the subject. I had a huge argument with one of my lecturers about it, and in the end we were both able to produce sources that proved us right. Not only that, but American usage tends to vary from English - The New York Post, famously, has its own grammar structure that differs oddly from everybody else. :)

The thing is, though, I'm not from the past or anything. :P