A successful Revolution?

Posted by obryen

Speculation is king with all we know about the little console of wonder. So, to further the reign, will the Revolution be on par with the American or the French?

Posted by Boner

What on G0d's green Earth are you talking about?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

As in lose the war, or win it?

I think they'll be on par with the French. I may be wrong, but I see a repeat. Though, the 360 may come out on top this time. Either way, the Rev will lose.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

I sleep during History class, so I have no idea how to answer to your question, really.

Posted by Klarth

If this is a joke it failed miserably.

I think it's more on par with the revolution of the sun around Jupiter.

Posted by obryen

It's an attempt at a half-joke, actually. I don't mean war, just the changeup of a political system, and whether or not it's successful. In this case it's a changeup of an industry, which is, itself, a system. A system that produces systems. Yeah! Anyway. Yeah, it's a failed attempt at a half-joke, but you can probably figure it out if you think long and hard about it.

I think you overestimated everyone's intelligence.

Posted by Axis

For me there is no way to tell where Revolution is in the next-generation console race. Right now I just see it as PS3-360 because that's the only one we know a ton of info about. So when we get more information on the Revolution, I might be able to answer this.

Posted by BlackOps

The revolution has no chance. Sorry, Nintendo fans, but that's just my opinion. Look at Gamecube compared to PS2 and Xbox. It's pathetic! Do you think people will buy the Revolution after their bad experience with the cube?

Quoted post: Do you think people will buy the Revolution after their bad experience with the cube?

People bought the Xbox with no prior experience whatsoever. It just depends if Nintendo makes the Rev enticing.

Posted by obryen

I don't know about pathetic. If you're talking about sales, it's beating Xbox into kibble in Japan, whereas it's merely lagging behind the others in the States. But yeah, now I'm getting off topic. I don't think the disappointment that some people had in the Gamecube will affect sales too horribly, at least not for too long. Enough people will buy the console at launch to ensure that, whatever its quality, the gaming public in general will be exposed to it. If it actually is a good console, it should catch on.

Posted by BlackOps

Well, the reason people bought the Xbox was because it was made by Microsoft. Based on prior knowledge and experience, they knew it was a good company. Yes, that's what they thought for the Gamecube when it came out, but not anymore. Does anyone see my point?

Posted by Axis

Quoting BlackOps: Well, the reason people bought the Xbox was because it was made by Microsoft. Based on prior knowledge and experience, they knew it was a good company. Yes, that's what they thought for the Gamecube when it came out, but not anymore. Does anyone see my point?

I think you under estimate the Nintendo fanbase.

Posted by BlackOps

I know there's a lot of them, but even some of them haven't said many good things about the Gamecube. I haven't once met anyone who wants the Revolution.

Posted by obryen

Hey, we're having a little back-and-forth. People bought the Xbox because they thought Microsoft was a good company? While I don't know if that's the case, I certainly hope it's not true, considering all the crap Microsoft put out before the Xbox. You also said that you've met no one who wants the Revolution. Check the poll on this site, the Revolution is actually leading.
http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=4447
But about your Gamecube point:
There were several reasons people didn't buy a Gamecube. Part of it was due to many people's disappointment in the N64 and love for the PSX. The late release date also adversely affected sales. Finally, and probably most importantly in the long run, there ended up being very little online play for the Cube. The Xbox didn't do too well in the beginning, so if people had faith in it because they had faith in Microsoft, they didn't show it. It slowly caught on with Halo. The Cube mainly sold to Nintendo diehards, as well as people who liked SSBM.
The Revolution may be different, in that it has online play, it has DVD movie playback, and maybe this new Revolutionary feature will be good. I don't know. Now I've gotten really really off topic and I'm going to stop arguing before somebody gets hurt.

Posted by Random

Quoting BlackOps: I know there's a lot of them, but even some of them haven't said many good things about the Gamecube. I haven't once met anyone who wants the Revolution.

Listen.. The Gamecube wasn't so bad. I do realize how poorly in sales it did overall compared to the Xbox and PS2. But it made the most money. It didn't have to sell the most to make the most money. Granted there are a lot of Biased fans out there, there are Millions which Prefer the best in Games. If Nintendo Comes out with all these huge titles that are extravegant then it could change around.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting BlackOps: The revolution has no chance. Sorry, Nintendo fans, but that's just my opinion. Look at Gamecube compared to PS2 and Xbox. It's pathetic! Do you think people will buy the Revolution after their bad experience with the cube?

Cube is selling as much as Xbox, it'll probably overtake it in it's final days. Besides that, opinions of a company can change instantly. Remember how Nintendo OWNED the market in the SNES era then lost it extremely quickly to Sony?

Posted by Random

Quoting Speedfreak: Cube is selling as much as Xbox, it'll probably overtake it in it's final days. Besides that, opinions of a company can change instantly. Remember how Nintendo OWNED the market in the SNES era then lost it extremely quickly to Sony?

Selling as much as the Xbox now probably monthly not overall. Not really even close. The Chance of Nintendo Catching up is slim to none. It'll catch up to the Xbox in sales when the 360 is out and nobody bothers to purchase Xbox's anymore. Oh and when Twilight Princess Comes out. The Cubes a few millions behind, and well catching up against a console that will be no more soon does make sense. But mainly because Microsoft has another console to be released.

Posted by Axis

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Selling as much as the Xbox now probably monthly not overall. Not really even close. The Chance of Nintendo Catching up is slim to none. It'll catch up to the Xbox in sales when the 360 is out and nobody bothers to purchase Xbox's anymore. Oh and when Twilight Princess Comes out. The Cubes a few millions behind, and well catching up against a console that will be no more soon does make sense. But mainly because Microsoft has another console to be released.

Last time I heard the Xbox was selling 22 million and the Gamecube was selling 21 million.

Posted by Random

You can't believe online sales reports. Example last I saw the Xbox had 25 Million and the Gamecube 19 million. So it gets us no where. But there aren't the Cube sales that there are Xbox Sales. The Gamecube may outsell the Xbox like I said when the 360 is out. I mean already you don't hear of Xbox sales exactly going through the roof. Everyone and their brother who supports microsoft is saving up for a 360 and probably not purchasing an xbox at this point in time. I'm not saying nobody will. The Cube may outsell the Xbox just later on when Zelda is out and the 360 is out. At that point then yes the Gamecube will most likely outsell the Xbox. But its clear it was last in the race.

But to get back to my point that I tried to make yesterday when I was partially asleep, is that it doesn't matter what the older console did in sales. The Revolution has awesome idea's in Gaming. Being able to play older games. People want a console with great games, not a console with 10,000 games and only a few good ones. The Revolution may outsell the 360 or PS3. I doubt it will personally, but never underestimate Nintendo. That Miyamoto is one intelligent man I tell you hwhat.

Posted by obryen

Yeah, that is the clencher for me when it comes to Nintendo. The others have a greater selection and more generalized controllers that work well for multi-console ports, but I find myself losing interest in most of their games after a play or two. In the case of Nintendo, I'm still playing those old first party and Nintendo exclusive games. I think there actually is something to the strange controller designs that adds to that. They don't work for as many things as the more standard controllers such as the PSX Dual Shock, but what they do work for, they work for in ways that couldn't be captured by something more generic.

For example, think about Goldeneye on the N64. For the left hand, there was movement control on top and the fire trigger on the bottom. Simple. Then on the right, there were all the C buttons to worry about and the two face buttons, along with the right shoulder button. All that thrown together sounds like a bad idea, except that those were more rarely used buttons, with the face buttons as weapon select, the C buttons as crouching and strafing, and the R button as aim toggle. This way, you could focus most of your attention on the simpler controls of the left hand, and only from time to time have to worry about the right. No jumping back and forth constantly between a mess of jammed together buttons.

Another example, this time on Gamecube, is Wind Waker. Obviously the controls were ported from the Ocarina of Time controls on the N64, but there was a subtle redesign mixed in. In Ocarina, the face buttons controlled slashing and actions, and the C buttons, which were off to the side, controlled sub-items. The evolution of this onto the Gamecube assigned sword to the small B button, action to the big A button, and sub items to the Y and X buttons surrounding the A button, as well as the Z button on the shoulder.
Here comes the point. The problem with assigning the sword to a button of equal value as action is that the sword is essentially just another item. You use it quite a bit, so it needs some special button to separate it from the rest of the items, but it is still just an item. On the Gamecube, the action button acts as a central hub for the surrounding item buttons, so that your thumb rests on action, rather than overlapping action and sword. Having the third item button off on the shoulder gave that an extra sub-class, allowing you to assign it items you didn't need to pull out at a moment's notice, like the sail. Also, having the item buttons around a central hub rather than all jammed together made it easier to snap to the one you needed to use.

This was really long, but I hope you get my point. Nintendo has already revolutioned the way we play games, if in small ways that we don't tend to notice. This time they're just making it more obvious.

Posted by Speedfreak

Bottom line is you're implying Nintendo isn't as successfuly as Microsoft, based on their sales figures. Well any ******* could sell as much items as Xbox if they aren't trying to earn a profit. But it really says something when Nintendo sells on par with Microsoft AND makes more of a profit than Sony and MS put together.

Posted by BlackOps

Quoting Speedfreak: But it really says something when Nintendo sells on par with Microsoft AND makes more of a profit than Sony and MS put together.
Is that true?

Posted by obryen

Nintendo makes more of a profit than Sony and Microsoft's video game sales put together. It nearly matches Sony's profits overall, including their various electronics sales, but of course its profit won't match Microsoft's overall, considering that they own three planets and an asteroid belt and have their sites set on the sun.

Posted by Random

What he says is true. He doesn't mean the Gamecube sales are as high as the Xbox or PS2 sales. Nintendo Sales all in all. Look at the GBA SP or the GBA Selling Millions upon Millions of Sales. And Nintendo has made the most money overall, it's the cheapest but yet htey make the most per console sale.

Posted by obryen

So what do y'all think now? Successful or not?

Posted by Drewboy64

I think the 360 will do the best in America (even though it doesn't seem like the best at all), but I really don't care. All that matters is that I buy a Revolution.

Quoted post: So what do y'all think now? Successful or not?

Successful. How succesful is another question.

I have a feeling it will do better than the GC did, but not better than the 360.

Posted by Spaz

The fanbase Nintendo has built is beyond repute, and the way I've seen things, everyone will end up having one or the other. I see a light of hope, but Xbox seems to be persuading with Halo and it's large amounts of FPS. There's plenty of games that Nintendo throws on its system that the Xbox doesn't have. I have more FPS for Xbox than I have any other genre.

Nintendo has pretty much sealed the deal with the unveiling of their controller, I want their console first.

I'll get the others later haha.