New Rule for IM's board

Posted by Hyper

I could have sworn this was already a rule, but I suppose not. I propose that there should be a new rule in the Instant Messages board stating that you must have consent from the other party(ies) involved in a chatlog before posting it. This can help to keep unwanted information from being leaked as well as protecting everyone's rights to privacy. Of course, everyone wouldn't have to explicitely say "HEY DONT POST THIS" 100% of the time; rather, if a person requests it to not be posted, their request must be honored. If requested after it has already been posted, the poster should have to edit out or delete the post. Failure to comply would result in chatlog removal and a warning against the poster.

Again, I could have SWORN this was already a rule, but after checking I saw that it wasn't.

Posted by coromoro

Consent should be obvious to everyone already, but I guess it isn't. :( Make it a rule, I say! :cool:

Posted by Pit

That's completely ****ing retarded. If you want to post something offensive that's humorous, you need consent? OBviously the other person isn't going to agree to the terms.

oooh, unwanted information. It was bound to happen anyways, especially amongst the members of a forum.

I mean, considering that the rule is that it has to be funny anyways.

EDIT: And not for nothing, why the sudden interest? You didn't care before, why now?

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Pit: EDIT: And not for nothing, why the sudden interest? You didn't care before, why now?

Because I didn't realize that it wasn't a rule. Props to Judge for bringing it to my attention:

h7per (12:11:26 AM): I recall a certain chat where you did get angy
h7per (12:11:35 AM): (Then posted it without my consent, pft)
The Amala (12:11:44 AM): I don't need any consent
h7per (12:11:47 AM): Yes, you do
h7per (12:11:49 AM): its in the rules :)
The Amala (12:11:53 AM): bull**** :)
h7per (12:11:57 AM): need a quote?
The Amala signed off at 12:11:57 AM.

I PM'd him, explained my error and informed him that I was going to make this poll.

To the rest of your post: I'm sure most members won't request the log to not be posted if it's that funny anyway. It'd only be remembered and used when they really cared.

Posted by Fate

It's tact. Consent, plz.

Posted by Ant

meh.

Posted by Alastor

I'm for it.

Posted by Ant

Wait a minute...Hyper, did you ask permission to use that conversation between the two of you on this board?

Posted by Hyper

under the current rules I don't have to *oscar*

besides, even if it was already a rule (thereby making this thread nonexistent in the first place), it'd still be ok to post that, because he didn't request it to not be posted. nice try though :)

Posted by Crono

Sounds like a decent rule...and if we can't abide by that, at least edit out the name of the other person and context alluding to who it is before you post it without consent. Much easier than havin someone ***** at you for posting something without askin them.

Posted by sabre

I think it's being suggested the other way around. If someone doesn't want you posting something, they complain and it has to be deleted.

Posted by Kodachi

I think that rule would just end up causing problems. Besides, humiliating conversations are just so funny.

Posted by Fate

Not if you were the target. I think you would change your tone.

Posted by Speedfreak

The rule I set was you had to have permission if it was particularly embarrassing or private. Stuff like bra size or something I'll let slide because no one really cares.

Posted by Kodachi

Quoting Fate: Not if you were the target. I think you would change your tone.

I'll just have to not say something humiliating in private, then.

I just know someone will post them anyway to pick on some idiot in the future. It will be hilarious, and people won't want to take it down. I just think we're putting up a rule that we're definitely going to break.

Posted by Fate

That's why we're moderators. We set the example and let almost nothing get past.

Posted by Kodachi

That was a joke, right? :cool2:

Posted by Klarth

I think the keyword there was "almost".

Posted by Jesse Smith

But it'z no fun to post IM messages that the other person will allow posted! We want ones that cause wars, remember!! :D:D:D:D:D:D