Final Fantasy

Posted by Xqars

What's the all time best Final Fantasy of all the consoles? I haven't played very many of them so I can't really say. I've played Final Fantasy X and one other FF that I can't remember the name of.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Heh. You're really not qualified to speak on the subject in my opinion, but I'm also a huge fan of the earlier ones.

Final Fantasy 6 is the best of the numbered series, I believe. The storyline was engrossing, with an effective gameplay setup that was quite addictive. All in all, a great game.

If you count it, I'd say Final Fantasy Tactics is/was the best, but some don't count it because it's not part of the numbered series... To count FFT, you'd have to count FF:MQ, FFL 1-3, FFA, and FFX-2 (which was a joke...).

Maybe move this to RPG board? I don't know...

Posted by Klarth

I liked Final Fantasy V.

I'm playing VII right now, and it's fun. Mystic Quest has a high turd factor, though.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

As I said in another topic not too long ago, I like Tactics best. I've enjoyed just about all of the spin-offs more than anything in the main series.

Posted by Xqars

Quoting Fei-on: Heh. You're really not qualified to speak on the subject in my opinion

That's why I said I can't really say. My uncle and some of my friends like the series so I thought I'd like to start playing some. So I decided to ask some people which ones they liked.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

FFVIII, VII, Tactics, and X. I haven't played much of the older ones, but III seems to be pretty good. Don't bother with X-2.

Posted by maian

III/VI.

No contest.

Posted by KMFDM

FinalFantasy VIII is the best to me. Not alot of people like the story but i did, and Squall is just so cool.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

V, III, VI, Tactics.

Posted by Dark

VIII and X were interesting and my favorites.

Posted by boomstick

Tactics, easily, but as far as the numbered series, hmmmm, can't really think of one off the top of my head that I really enjoyed that much

Posted by Zeta

Final Fantasy VI.
Kefka+Ultros=Awesomeness.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Zeta: Final Fantasy VI.
Kefka+Ultros=Awesomeness.

YEEEEEEEEEOUCH! SEAFOOD SOUP!

Posted by ExoXile

VI,VII,VIII.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Quoting Vampiro: V, III, VI, Tactics.

I agree.

Posted by Xqars

Just for PS2?

Posted by Xenos

V, VI, IX were mines. I enjoyed the old retro movement of the FFs moreso than the modern. I don't want to look at DDXII though! :(

Quoted post: Just for PS2?

Seeing as how there's been only three FF games for the PS2, and many people have already tossed out names that don't even belong to a Sony console... I'd say no.

Posted by Pikamon

The Good:

I liked most of the FF games. My favorite was IX. The card game was one of the only fun minigames in any FF game (Blitzball can die), it had a great storyline, the characters were amazingly put together (Vivi and Steiner were my favorites because of their development), and the ending was kick ***. The only downside was how you learned magic.

FF7 was definately up there as well. It wasn't my favorite, but it was still one of the best. The magic-learning system was probably my favorite feature. Yes, I place it above the game's storyline. The main downside to this one was the ending. I didn't like that part very much.

FFTactics was amazing. It truly was a masterpiece in entertainment. I commend Square for making such a unique game, and making it work so well. This thing is packed with sidequests (TONS of missions you can do at pubs, too), extra characters, a deep storyline, and an amazing battle system which, in my opinion, has yet to be matched.

FFX was good. It had some really cool features, like the sphere-grid, improved battle system, graphics, and the use of voice-acting (albiet, the acting sucked something horrible at certain times). The downside was that the game's story wasn't as deep as some of the past titles (it was still pretty good, though), the characters weren't as memoriable as they could have been (the only character I really liked all that much was Auron. He was just bad-*** altogether), and I really thought the story should have ended at the end of this game.

As far as pre-playstation games go, I really enjoyed FF6. It was great. The characters were cool, the story was cool, the magic-learning system, while flawed, was fun, and it had a lot of fun sidequests the likes of which you just couldn't find in RPGs back then. Oh, and the music was pretty amazing too, considering this was on the SNES.

FFV was really cool because of the battle system. It wasn't as deep as the later titles, but it was definately unique. It set the stage for games like FFTactics, and that alone should be enough to play it. The main downside, of course, was the fact that you basically started out with all of your characters, and there weren't any other ones (you got four for the entire game).

The Bad:

FFX-2 shouldn't even be considered a FF game, in my opinion. It was completly different in every way. The story sucked (it seemed forced), the characters were rediculously unrealistic, and so on. The only thing it had going for it was the class system, which wasn't all that original when you consider it came from FF5 and then FFTactics. I honestly can't believe they chose FFX to make a sequel for. I would have picked FF7 or FF6 to make a sequel from before FFX. X was good, but I honestly don't think it deserved a sequel. I played X-2 the whole way through, only to be dissapointed. The normal ending is retarded, and the second one is almost as bad. It's pathetic that you have to beat every percentage of the game just to unlock the "expected" ending (the third one). I mean, come on. I played this thing to see Tidus come back, not watch Yuna sail off on a ship happy as hell even though her ultimate goal was never acheived. Eh, maybe that's just me.

The Other Stuff:

FF8 wasn't my favorite RPG, but it wasn't my most hated, either. The storyline was a little hard to follow at certain parts, and some parts were just like "...ok...why?" I really didn't like the whole "hey! we were all friends when we were kids, but then we couldn't remember until just now." I understand the reasoning behind that, but still, it seems like they tried to stretch that a little too far. The depth of the juntion system was a plus, though. No other FF game has anything like it, that's for sure, but for those RPG-players out there who have less patience, you'd probably throw the controller down. It wasn't exactly a pick up and play kind of game, like FFX or FFVI. A lot of people liked it though, and that's fine. It was a decent game, but it wasn't my cup of tea, so to speak.

FF1-4

FF 1 and 2 were really basic, as one sould expect. They were great back in their day, but if you were to play them now (and you'd never played them before), you'd probably just get bored. Square tried to re-release them, but I don't think that plan worked out too well. If you must play them, play FF1 first. The only reason I say that is because there is a grave in the elf town where "Link" is burried. I love seeing that grave while playing this game on my playstation ;)

FF3 hasn't been released in America yet. It's getting re-released on the Nintendo DS with 3-d graphics and other improvements. I don't know what to expect from this one.

FF4 was actually pretty good. I never beat it, but I do remember playing it. This one is also getting re-released on the GBA sometime soon. I think it's before Christmas sometime.

FF Chronicles. This game was HORRIBLE. Some people liked it, but if you're a FF fan, don't expect this to be anything remotely similar to any FF game you've ever tried. It only carries the FF name (I hate it when they do this crap). It gets really repetitive, and you HAVE to buy a GBA and the chord just to play with another person---a retarded concept. I can't believe they're making a sequel to this.

FFXI was strange. I guess the easiest way to explain this one would be to say to picture Everquest with better graphics, less depth, and more storyline. I didn't really enjoy it because, when I played it, there were a lot of Japanese people playing it. I hate playing an online game and not being able to join up with someone because of the language barrier. Also, most of your time is spent just getting experience. You sit in one spot, killing enemies over and over and over for hours upon hours, hoping to level up just once. This isn't the case when you first start up, but you definately start to notice it later on. The upside, however, would have to be the quests. They're a lot more fun to do than other games. They're more cinimatic, I guess, and the rewards are fair. Personally, though, I would get Everquest II before this one. EQ2 is just so much better on so many levels, from what I've seen. I don't play any online computer games, but if I did, I wouldn't play FFXI.

Anyway, that's my take on the FF series, more or less. If you dissagree, tough. Those are my opinions.

Posted by Lord of Spam

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/TheSwami.jpg[/IMG]

I used to be a much bigger fan of 7, but Ive kind of gotten tired of hearing about it.

Tactics is an AWESOME game, as long as you dont pay attention to the story, which was kinda flat. The battles were spectacular. Well worth playing through.

Posted by Link_1987

my alltime favorite sony game is FF7 and its my second favortite game (OOT is first) and i started playing it again about a week ago because i got the guide b4 i had beat the game i didnt havethe guide i still did everything including beat the american monsters but ive got to say that X was good too

Posted by Lord of Spam

Wow, that was a HUGE run on sentence, and yet stillyou didnt make a valid point. Congratulations.

Posted by Link_1987

ya srry i do that every once in a while, i was never good at english in high school and i was running on 4 hours sleep. but ill reword it, FFVII best X second. happy??

Posted by Random

Final Fantasy VII and Tactics by far. By leaps and bounds. There were other good Final Fantasy games, but those two were by far the best.

I thought Final Fantasy X was pretty poor, X-2 Sucked, Final Fantasy XI Seems pretty kewl, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals was a laughing joke.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Tactics is the only one that doesnt fail major time.

(I'm only refering to the American ones here, for reference.)

Posted by Klarth

I've decided that VII is crap.

Quoted post: I've decided that VII is crap.

Took you this long, eh?

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Klarth: I've decided that VII is crap.

You can't really say that after playing the PC version of it. :(
Even I, think the PC version suck PeN0r.

Why? It's exactly the same storyline, although depending on your computer, it can be a ****ty experience.

Though personally, I enjoy the game.

Posted by Zeta

I was never able to figure out the ****ing Materia system. For that FFVII is my second least favorite game in the series, although I only got to the end of the 1st disk.

Posted by Pikamon

Quoting Zeta: I was never able to figure out the ****ing Materia system. For that FFVII is my second least favorite game in the series, although I only got to the end of the 1st disk.

Really? I thought it was extremely easy to figure out. Did you at least listen to the tutorials?

Yeah, it is easy, and one of my favourite aspects of the battle system, in fact.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Angelwing: Why?

I just disslike it, but i guess all people have diffrent thoughts about that.
I don't like any other PC game either, for that matter.
(As for FFVII, the grapics are diffrent, the music is diffrent, the gamepley is diffrent. Yes the storyline's exactly the same but everything else isn't.)

Quoted post: Yes the storyline's exactly the same

Which is a shame.

Quoting ExoXile:
(As for FFVII, the grapics are diffrent, the music is diffrent, the gamepley is diffrent. Yes the storyline's exactly the same but everything else isn't.)

The graphics are a little sharper/slightly better in the PC version. But yeah, I forgot the music is just in midi format. It's not different MUSIC, just different quality. And in different, I mean ****ty.

Music does play a very important part in almost every video game. At least, to me, it does. So yeah, the PS version IS better, but if he didn't like the storyline in the first place (as that's what I'm guessing majesty is basing his dislike on) it won't matter which version he plays.

Quoted post: But yeah, I forgot the music is just in midi forma

Isn't FFVII music MIDI on to PSX version also? Just a more "advanced" type? Like what you would hear now compared to Super Mario. Both are MIDI, one just sounds better and more realistic than the other.

Posted by Acheron

Heh, this topic again? I'll say again what I've said dozens of times.

V and Tactics (and, to a lesser extent, Tactics Advance) are my favorites. I have not played VI, but it looks very good as well. X-2 is the worst, of course, and is followed rather closely by VIII.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I'm suprised at how little hate X gets.

I mean, c'mon, it SUCKED. Seriously, Tidus=Meg Ryan. Just look at pictures of the two of them back to back. The likeness is remarkable. Not to mention that the battle system sucked too.

The battle system was, quick, easy, and effficient. Sure, it could have been elaborated on, but it wasn't terrible. The sphere grid is neat. People have told me they've had trouble understanding it, which I can't get for the life of me, as it's so straightforward. Being able to switch between party members in a battle ruled.

And Vamp: Yeah, it was more advanced midi, although I'm not sure how exactly. I said that the pc version was just midi. I guess I should have been more specific.

Posted by Legend Saber

Quoting Zeta: I was never able to figure out the ****ing Materia system. For that FFVII is my second least favorite game in the series, although I only got to the end of the 1st disk.

What's hard to understand? You equip materia, you use magic. Take it off, you don't use magic. Is it really that complex?

Anyway, Final Fantasy VII is the best in the series, by far. Tactics is a distant (though still great) second, and all the others, especially X and X-2, are complete crap. And yes, I have played/beaten many of the older FFs, such as VI and V. I don't like those much either, though VI was fun for a while.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Legend Saber: What's hard to understand? You equip materia, you use magic. Take it off, you don't use magic. Is it really that complex?

Anyway, Final Fantasy VII is the best in the series, by far. Tactics is a distant (though still great) second, and all the others, especially X and X-2, are complete crap. And yes, I have played/beaten many of the older FFs, such as VI and V. I don't like those much either, though VI was fun for a while.

SADSADSADSADSADSAD

Posted by Pikamon

Quoting Angelwing: The battle system was, quick, easy, and effficient. Sure, it could have been elaborated on, but it wasn't terrible. The sphere grid is neat. People have told me they've had trouble understanding it, which I can't get for the life of me, as it's so straightforward. Being able to switch between party members in a battle ruled.

Yeah, I don't know why anyone hates X. I mean, yeah, it didn't have a world map, and it had some half-assed voice acting, but it was still a fun game. The Sphere grid system was probably my second most favorite magic system, next to the materia system, and it allowed for a great deal of customization, espescially in the International version. You could even upgrade your aeons with new spells and stronger stats, and you could shorten the aeon cutscenes, too.