Jobs

Posted by Xqars

What do you want to do for a living? At the moment I want to be a lawyer but that will probably change in years.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Well, I'm getting a science degree, but in what, I'm not entirely sure.

Posted by billards

Im going for a Criminal Justice degree because I want to become a police officer.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

No clue. Thus, I vote "other".

Posted by Boner

The jobs I would be most interested in obtaining at the moment are of the blow or hand variety. But, those usually tend to cost money rather than bring it in.

As for a career, I have a good chance of landing a job as an instructor at my school some day. I am a union sheet metal worker (currently a 5th year apprentice). I competed on a national level last year and did pretty well. Once I am done with school, I will be making about $36 an hour. Instructors make just a little more than that per hour. The money is great, don't get me wrong. But, I'd really like to teach. My fellow classmates tell me I'd make a good instructor. It seems I have a knack for making things easy for others to understand.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Professional musician. nothing could ever make my life more complete.
[/bigsurprise!!]

Posted by Ch

I would like to be some buisness owner, baseball player, or a musician.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Independantly wealthy, plz

Posted by Skitzo Control

Computer Graphics Engineering, or stand-up comedy.

Posted by Sean Fury

I'm going for something in the writing area. As in books.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Sean Fury: I'm going for something in the writing area. As in books.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/metalvox/livejournal.gif[/IMG]

Posted by Altinure

i'm getting my phd in synthetic organic chemistry, and i'd like to either be an organic chemistry professor or be a lead pharmaceutical chemist. either i would be happy in. from a financial standpoint, professors only make around $90,000 per year and pharm. chemists can make up to $300,000, so working industry would be better.

all in all, i selected 'scientist.'

Posted by Killer Jordo

A lawyer. Either criminal justive, accident, or divorce. That is what I want to be

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I want to write stories. Maybe for games maybe for books. I don't know. I just want to write.

I also want to be a musician but I'm not blind to the real world so I don't have high hopes for that.

Posted by Random

I want to be a Pilot. More or less a Mercenary. I want to fly the Latest Greatest MIG Fighter Jet. Mainly because it'd be cheaper to get a hold of than anything the U.S. or Western Allies have, seeing that Russia is economically poor, so i'd probably get a fighter jet 1/4 the price of western powers. Good Old Migs.. Oh yea anywho I'd like to be a mercenary and kill people for cash.. ^_^

Posted by MapMan

Currently Geographic Information Systems Analyst / Developer for 911 agencies
I make outdoor recreational maps as well. Mainly ATV maps.

Posted by Boner

Pit should mow lawns.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Opeth: Pit should mow lawns.

That was downright mean.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Angelwing: Well, I'm getting a science degree, but in what, I'm not entirely sure.

I have a suggestion. Look into quantum physics. It's a very very interesting subject to get into. You'll learn things that just blow your mind away. If anything, I would say that is about as interesting science can get. That is the good stuff as I would put it. It descirbes how the universe and nature really functions and how some things are just plain strange. If you don't want to major in it, take maybe one course or read a few books on it if you haven't already. I simply can't get enough of that stuff. It just astounds me the things I learn.

Anyway with that said I guess I don't have to mention what I want to be. That pretty much covers it.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Thanks. I may end up taking a course, or at least looking into it, but I'm more of a biology lover, so I'll most likely never major in it. But it's great that you know exactly what you want to do.

Posted by Altinure

Quoting Mystic Hero: I have a suggestion. Look into quantum physics. It's a very very interesting subject to get into. You'll learn things that just blow your mind away. If anything, I would say that is about as interesting science can get. That is the good stuff as I would put it. It descirbes how the universe and nature really functions and how some things are just plain strange. If you don't want to major in it, take maybe one course or read a few books on it if you haven't already. I simply can't get enough of that stuff. It just astounds me the things I learn.

Anyway with that said I guess I don't have to mention what I want to be. That pretty much covers it.

you can't major in quantum physics aka thermodynamics and kinetics and structures of matter. it's way too specific for undergraduate study. chemistry majors require two semesters of it, and physics usually requires it as well. you can get your phd in physical chemistry, which is quantum mechanics, and you can also specialize in it for physics phd as well.

quantum mechanics is not "the study about how the universe and nature really function and how some things are just plain strange." it's the study of the physics of atoms. it's the study of electron orbital, electron clouds, resonance, electron delocalization, the energy of bonding, sub-subatomic particles, like quarks, etc.

it's usually considered the hardest branch of chemistry as most of it now is based on theory, so it's hard to visualize because the atomic world is so much different than this world.

i'd highly recommend you actually make it through general chemistry I and II, organic chemistry I and II, analytical chemistry I, inorganic chemistry I, and biochemistry I, calculus I, II, and III, linear algebra I and II, calculus-based physics I, II, and III, and ordinary differential equations first before you devote your life to physical chemistry, as it's usually the last two chemitsry classes taken in a chemistry major.

even if you go the physics route, you'll still have classes on dynamics, optics, mechanics, etc. before you get to physical chemistry.

Posted by Klarth

at this rate I won't be able to afford college, but if by some miracle I get a scholarship to a good place like oxford, I'd prolly take psychology or graphical design.

I'll wind up being a software engineer, though. I know it.

Posted by NES Queen

always wanted to do something with science/medicine, and now i am. go me for fulfilling my childhood dreams.

*yay*

Posted by 007 ninja

I want to be a doctor when i grow up i'm twelve and I want to be a doctor.

Posted by Arwon

It's really depressing to see the sum total of potential meaningful paths in this world reduced to seven poll options. How about "fulfilled, satisfiedk, nonevil human being"?

I've got this vague notion of getting into journalism, but I keep thinking I should be planning my career to be useful to me in a post-apocalyptic Mad Max type society, since society as we know it (and thus "success" and "career paths" as we know them) is probably doomed due to resource crises and such. I suspect that journalists will be among the first people locked up and/or shot when shortages and resource-wars make the government turn into heavy-handed rationing-obsessed authoritarians trying to keep a lid on the food riots.

Think carefully about which side of the barricades you want to be on when that day comes, kids.

Posted by Fate

Dude, it's just a job choice. Don't get all psychological and ****. You may as well suggest "feminist" and "president's lapdog," if you want to get specific.

I want to be a computer animator.

Posted by mis0

Although my current curriculum is aime at teaching me basic law so I can detectorzise you, recently I've been very inspired by what I think might be a good way to make cars affordable and less expensive, as well as running on alternative fuels. I'm seriously considering swithcing to business classes and continuing on in my graphic design classes so I can design and build cars.

I'm not really sure yet, though.

Posted by ExoXile

I'm a bricklayer.

Posted by Arwon

Fate:

I'm a friggin Arts student, it's what we do. (:

And really, I think the fact that I'm convinced the world's gonna get pretty ****ty pretty soon does have an enormous bearing on potential career path choices. I mean, if there's no bloody electricity then how're you gonna be a computer animator?

Posted by Azusa

For now, I want nothing more than a career as a physicist. But someday I want to own my own comic book shop, when I have the means. That is happiness for me.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Arwon: I mean, if there's no bloody electricity then how're you gonna be a computer animator?

That's just it. The world changes with time and technology. I could write. I could draw. I could bricklay. I could do anything. I just chose computer animation.

Posted by Porcupine

Professional Musician. I should probably have a backup plan if that doesn't work out, though...

Posted by -Shadow-

Professional Musician. This could range from being in a successful band, or being a studio musician. I'll probably give lessons at a music store while I'm working on the two big goals to rake in some cash.

Posted by inequity

I'll probobly be a director for some crappy sitcom. Just, something with cameras.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting -Shadow-: Professional Musician. This could range from being in a successful band, or being a studio musician. I'll probably give lessons at a music store while I'm working on the two big goals to rake in some cash.

That, literally, is what im doing right now :cool:

Posted by netman

I'd love to be an actor for a living, and as a tech support agent for cingular wireless im well on my way!!

:(