Noob Questions

Posted by Xqars

Hi, Im' thinking of buying a PS2 since the PS3 is coming out and so the PS2 will become cheaper. But I had a few questions to ask before purchasing one. My first one is when you buy a Network Adaptor for online play do you need to pay Sony a fee every once in awhile to stay online (Like the $50 fee every year for Xbox Live). My second one is why do people say PS2's online system is weaker than Xbox Live. And my final question is is there a thing you can purchase to make it so your PS2 can support 4 people at a time instead of just 2. Oh, and what's this HDD thing? These are probably really stupid questions but I'm a stupid person when it comes to online play. I really appreciate those of you who take the time to answer my questions. Thx!!!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: My first one is when you buy a Network Adaptor for online play do you need to pay Sony a fee every once in awhile to stay online (Like the $50 fee every year for Xbox Live).

I can't remember exactly, so if anyone knows better, they may correct me. Anyways, I don't believe you're charged a monthly fee by Sony. It just depends on if the developer wants to charge.

Quoted post: My second one is why do people say PS2's online system is weaker than Xbox Live.

Because, IMO, it is. It never seemed to work as well as Live did for me. Not to mention the games that were feature on it weren't as good as many of the Xbox's. And since I own both, multiplatform games that were online went straight to my Xbox, since they tend to play better and look better. Live just has better support and seems far more comfortable to use.

Quoted post:
And my final question is is there a thing you can purchase to make it so your PS2 can support 4 people at a time instead of just 2.

Multitap. You can buy it at any game store.

Quoted post: Oh, and what's this HDD thing?

Stands for "Hard Disk Drive". Basically a hard-drive. Something feature in both the Xbox and 360. We haven't seen a real use for it quite yet in the gaming world. But Microsoft promises to change that.

Posted by Xqars

K, thx Vampiro.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Vampiro: I can't remember exactly, so if anyone knows better, they may correct me. Anyways, I don't believe you're charged a monthly fee by Sony. It just depends on if the developer wants to charge.

Yeah, thats about right. There is no fee form sony, but the developers some times charge one, for instance, FF11.

Quoting Vampiro: Because, IMO, it is. It never seemed to work as well as Live did for me. Not to mention the games that were feature on it weren't as good as many of the Xbox's. And since I own both, multiplatform games that were online went straight to my Xbox, since they tend to play better and look better. Live just has better support and seems far more comfortable to use.

It's not so much the actual online system, but rather the complete lack of games that use it. So far pretty much only FF11, NFS:U, SOCOM, and a few others even use it, and even then, not all that well.

Quoting Vampiro: Stands for "Hard Disk Drive". Basically a hard-drive. Something feature in both the Xbox and 360. We haven't seen a real use for it quite yet in the gaming world. But Microsoft promises to change that.

The only game I know of that uses the harddrive is FF11. Its pretty much a waste of money, but it comes bundled with the game, so its not that bad. Ont he opther hand, if your playing FF11 on the ps2, you need to buy hte keyboard, so thats another $20 gone.

Posted by Nickd009

No you are not charged for online play unless you are using aol they charge for some reason, im not sure why.u

Posted by Xqars

OK thx. I'm planning on buying one. So do you guys recommend any really good games for the PS2? Also, what's the best Final Fantasy on the PS2, best shooter, and is there any Star Wars the beats Battlefront?

Posted by Early Demise

Star Wars Battlefront to me is so far unbeatable on the PS2. Also there is no monthly fee except for a few certain games which, what they are I am not exactly sure of. Kingdom hearts was a great game. I highly recommend it. NFL 2K5 was a great football game. I really love playing Marvel Vs Capcom 2. That's about it.

Posted by Xqars

OK, I have just 3 final questions before buying a PS2. The first one is, what are the differences between the original PS2 and the new slimmer PS2. I read that the newer PS2 has a port or something bulit inside but can't use a HDD or something. My second question is has anyone heard of a PS2 price drop? I heard some news awhile ago that the PS2 would drop to 99 bucks but that apperantly was a rumor. My third and final question is which is cheaper, the original or new design. Thx for all the help.

Posted by Random

Don't purchase a PS2 yet. Save some money. Around the holidays (sometime before/after) PS2 prices are to drop to $99.99. Just don't know exactly when. Get some money for christmas and purchase one then.

Posted by Foxworthy12

First off, It is basiclly an internet connection, so if I'm not mistaken, you do have to pay a monthly-yearly fee to stay online despite the adapter cost.

Second off, they say that because PS2 doesnt have a huge launch game like xbox has Halo. We have a wide variety of games so odds are there are going to be less people on that specific game.

Third off, you can purchase a splitter (if u want to call it that) and you plug it into on controllerport so it can hold up to 4 controllers. If you ever look ont he back of a PS2 game you can often find games that support 4 players.