Opeth ~ Ghost Reveries

Posted by MetalVox~55

Well, new album is out, and oh how sexy it is. Express your sentiments about the new Opeth album! :)

Posted by Shin-Ra

It's definantly a different kind of Opeth. The older stuff has a very dark, swampy feel to it (especially Still Life), but this one goes for more of a proggish riff-based style. Still, "The Grand Conjuration" is their darkest work despite going about things differently (and the music video isn't half bad). Personally, I enjoy the album and have the vinyl reserved (set to come in on the 13th) and look forward to actually owning this fine work. Oh, and did that first little "break down" with clean vocals on "Ghost of Perdition" remind anyone of "Weak and Powerless" by A Perfect Circle? I know Mikael's a fan of Maynard's works, but c'mon.

Favorite tracks: "The Grand Conjuration", "Reveries/ Harlequin Forest", and "Ghost of Perdition". I also like the opening riff on "The Baying of the Hounds" quite a bit.

On an unrelated note:
[url=http://opethtacos.ytmnd.com/]Tacos of the Earth[/url]
[url=http://dedlybadgers.ytmnd.com/]Deadly Badgers[/url]

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: It's definantly a different kind of Opeth. The older stuff has a very dark, swampy feel to it (especially Still Life), but this one goes for more of a proggish riff-based style.

The lyrics are by far the darkest.

Anyways, I've had plenty of time to reflect on this album, and I can't say I was disappointed. At first I was afraid that RR would somehow **** it up, but they didn't seem to. Opeth is still as heavey as ever, but it had a lot more soft parts to it, and thankfully, Mikael has a beautiful voice.

Either way, excellent album. Though it's not my favourite Opeth album, it still manages to be better than half the **** out there.

Kinda makes me want to write a review.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Vampiro: Kinda makes me want to write a review.

I see what you did there.

Posted by Richaod

Pretty good. I've had it for quite a while since it's been leaked.

I'd have to say that The Grand Conjuration isn't really the best song on the album, not as far as it's been made out to be. The album is definitely more interesting than Blackwater Park, which felt a bit... obvious at times compared to their other stuff.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Alright, it's cool for bands I like to become successfull, especially those as talented as Opeth. However, this banner made me pretty damn sad.

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/The_Watchtower_90/opethbanner4gx.jpg[/IMG]

"The hottest new metal sensation since Slipknot"

Ok *****es, Opeth is not a new metal sensation. For those who did not know this, I'd like to clear this up. And comparing Opeth, a band that actually makes a somewhat artistic statement with their style (see: Still Life) and fabulous concept albums (see: Still Life) to a band with no direction other than playing metal (or call it what you will) is just ridiculous. Next thing you know RoadRunner will be playing off Obituary as being the 'newest thing in Death Metal'! Non-musician owned record labels irritate me.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I've never agreed more.

Posted by Klarth

And they approved this banner?

Needless to say I think I'll pick this one up.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: And they approved this banner?

That's what I was wondering...

This is bull****. The worst thing to happen to metal in a long, long time. I was actually suprised RR didn't ruin their music, but now I see they want to ruin their image instead. Good job guys!

Posted by Klarth

I predict a sharp fall in any Opeth sales related to releases following Ghost Reveries.

Either that or a huuuge rise as they gradually become Slipkorn and appeal to depressed twelve-year-old latchkey kids nationwide.