My ps2 doesn't work any more....

Posted by Ronin

It stopped playing ps2 discs and dvds......i don't know whats wrong with it.

Posted by Crazy K

Disc Read Error. You need to get it fixed.

It might need to be cleaned. but i believe you have the Disc Read Error. they did a thing on how to fix it on X-play so go to there website.

Posted by Ronin

well thats just it i think that if i mess with it i void the warranty and that would suck cuz i might screw it up more.

Posted by Crazy K

Well you could call a sony hotline and ask how much it costs to get one fixed. I still need to call em about my PS2. Its nearly dead, but it can still play ESPN NFL 2K5.

Posted by Ronin

Yeah mine plays FFX for some reason...

Posted by bobdole1286

my PS2,GC, and Xbox have all broken...my PS2 just broke this weekend.i cried...

Posted by Darkelf

[COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]OK. Mine has broken. I repair broken PS2s. Take off the feet and take out all the screws. Be very gentle not to take that flat wire out because it is a pain to get back in (if u do this, u will know.) Unscrew the whole cd rom thing, which should be on top. Firstly, blow out all dust and crap. Look at the top of cd rom thing. You will see a white circular, movable disk that spins the cd. Take a sharp knife and make grooves in this from center to outside like every 5 to ten millimeters (to overdue it). Put it back together and U should have a working ps2. I have fixed a few of them and it has always worked. The reason why they stop working is because the circular white thing smooths itself out and it can't grab the disks. Write back to me telling me if it worked.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Posted by Ronin

that sounds like a good idea, but could you be a little more specific because im not too good with ps2 handling.....

Posted by Darkelf

OK. Underneath the PS2, there are black sqaures. Pull them off and unscrew the screws. There are some on the back too. The whole casing should come off. Be careful, because there is a wire attaching the casing to the actual console. Just rest the casing near you in a safe spot. Now you should be looking at a square cd-rom. Take out the screws and it should come right off. There is a white circular thing, which spins the disk. It will probably be smooth. Take a knife and cut grooves into it, center to outside, maybe 5 grooves all the way around. Now put it all back together reversing the process and you should have a working PS2.

Posted by Ronin

were there already grooves there that i could cut along?

Posted by Crazy K

I dont think thats the problem. The Lens probably needs cleaning. What you do is do what Darkelf said and if you get to the lens in that process clean it with rubbing achohol, also its better if you get a can of compressed air to get out all the dust. blowing it out will only take the dust left lying around. It wont take the dust that is stuck to the fan and the vents.

So get a can of compressed air.

Posted by eriksson22

Quoting bobdole1286: my PS2,GC, and Xbox have all broken...my PS2 just broke this weekend.i cried...

..... You don't have much luck with video game systems do you? I would recommend not firing a gun into your console when you lose a game...that tends to have negative effects on its long-term performance. :)

Posted by Ronin

ok so i have the cd-rom in my hand, so do i cut the grooves in like a starshape thingy?

Posted by Darkelf

[COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]It won't let me copy and paste a pic so i will do this the best i can.

Your white spinner should kinda look like this. Round with a circle at the middle. Cut from the cirlce at the middle to the outside. Make them maybe a millimeter deep. Just make 5 or 6 grooves spacing them out around the spinner[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Posted by Ronin

ok ill do that.

Posted by Darkelf

Tell me if it worked for you after. If it doesn't work, then it must be an internal (wiring) or maybe a short circuit. It worked for me and a lot of my friends. Hope it works for you.

Posted by Ronin

well i think it'll work because when i try to play games it makes clicking noises, like maybe it's trying to catch the disc but it can't.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Darkelf]Tell me if it worked for you after. If it doesn't work, then it must be an internal (wiring) or maybe a short circuit. It worked for me and a lot of my friends. Hope it works for you.

Probably not. Its probably the disc read error. Your lens it probably to dirty or dusty. Also you might have too much dust in your system so get a vacume and clean it out.

Posted by Nemesis

Quoting Crazy K: Probably not. Its probably the disc read error. Your lens it probably to dirty or dusty. Also you might have too much dust in your system so get a vacume and clean it out.

NO IT WASN'T! (jp) Mine did the same thing and I took it apart and tried to find the problem. I figured that it wasn't spinning right with my psychic powers, but I didn't think of cutting that white thingy to add grip. I am thinking that the grip wears and tht clicking it it trying to get balanced, because thats all the white thing does, is just float on top of the disc. When you spin at like 20,00 RPM, that white thing can be like a stabilizer with its weight(I feel smart). I lost a PS2 to that problem....

RIP
[IMG]http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/mobile/column/ps2/2000/03/14/ps2.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Crazy K

No I dont really think so. The PS2 is probably filled with dust and is covbering the lens, see it could mainly be the Lens and its all dirty. Why does the DVD games work for my PS2 wile the PS2 (Blue Format), CD (music), DVD (Movies) and PS1 games all dont work. Its because the lens is not capable of reading them certain Discs, but since DVD games are so well built and so easier to read it works much better for the DVD Games instead of the rest.

If you can hear the cd spinning there is nothing wrong with that spinning weal thing.
Its probably the lens (if you can hear the CD or game spinning) that is dusty or dirty.

Also I have no .... clue what your trying to say. To fix the Disc read error all you need to do is clean the Lens with Rubbing Alcohol, you dont have to cut anything.

Wherever you got that info from well it was pretty .... bad my friend.

Posted by Prince Redon

That is what happend to my friends. When he dusted the lens it worked like a charm...I would try Crazy K's idea, what else can you do?

Posted by Ronin

my problem is is that my parents will get really ....ed off if i break it even more so i really need a good approach to this.

Posted by Fiindil

Drop it out of a window and claim the evil badgers made you do it, then get a new one.

Posted by Crazy K

I fixed my PS2 today. I took it apart and I cleaned the Lens with a cotton Swab. It works like the day I opened it on Christmas day. I did not use Rubbing alcohol either.

Posted by Darkelf

Ok. I worked at a mall that fixed PS2's when they got disk read errors. That is how they fixed them, and they all worked after. I have fixed many of them and they have always worked. While your in there, it also wouldn't hurt to take crazy k idea and dust the lense though. It may save you trouble in the future.

Posted by Ronin

ok so i should do both?

Posted by Scorpion

Well if you can't fix it you might want to get a new PSTwo, luckily they are same price as a normal PS2. If you were to get it this problem probably wouldn't happen in the future since you place the disks on a spinner(like the PS1) and also you can see the laser so if there was dust on it you wouldn't have to take the PSTwo apart to clean it.

My PS2 broke a few months ago and I was so sad, I couldn't fix it so I had to get the PSTwo and as I said it is great.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Karl Kroenen]Well if you can't fix it you might want to get a new PSTwo, luckily they are same price as a normal PS2. If you were to get it this problem probably wouldn't happen in the future since you place the disks on a spinner(like the PS1) and also you can see the laser so if there was dust on it you wouldn't have to take the PSTwo apart to clean it.

My PS2 broke a few months ago and I was so sad, I couldn't fix it so I had to get the PSTwo and as I said it is great.

But some people cant aford to go out and buy a brand new PS2 when you can just fix it for free and not waste 150 bucks. or something. If you break it wile fixing it then get a new one. But really it aint that hard to fix the DRE. Just take off the 10 screw covers, and open in back to front. There will then be a wire that is for the power button and open button. Take the white tape off of it so you can have enough room to put your top part of the PS2 out of the way.

Danger: dont cut the wire or rip it.

Then blow some of the dust out.

unscrew the black thing that is right above the Disc tray. Then you can see the Lens, all I did was use a cotton swab to get the dust off, no rubbing alcohol or whatever.

So there is what I did. Im thinking about fixing other peoples PS2's for like 20 bucks a pop.

Posted by Prince Redon

Quoting Ronin: my problem is is that my parents will get really ....ed off if i break it even more so i really need a good approach to this.

[COLOR=deepskyblue]
Just unscrew the top, find the lenses, and clean them. Just be careful and it isn't hard at all. Just do not pull of force anything.

Don't worry my friend fixed his the same way, and he had never fixed one before...He had a webpage...I will get in contact with him and see if I can find it, but their was a webpage that told exactly how to do it...
[/COLOR]

Posted by Ronin

awesome thanx!

Posted by a person with nothing

send it to sony they do it for free. all you have to do is pay for shipping and handling

Posted by Crazy K

yeah but if its just the Lens thats causing the problem then do it manually. Its a lot better then paying like 10 bucks (has to be sent with a fragile sign on it and has to have much more stamps, and requires a lot of shipping around).

I would rather risk it and fix it myself. but if it aint the lens that is causing the problems then send it to sony to get it fixed.

Posted by Ronin

ok so i got in there and i cleaned the laser.......but it still doesn't work.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

What did you clean the lens with? When I clean lens', I usually use rubbing alcohol.

Posted by Crazy K

Yeah you might need to use rubbing alcohol. But All I had to do was use a plain cotton swab and it worked like new. But you might have smudges and stuff on your lens.

Posted by White2912

if ur lense is dirty or w/e y dont u just buy a cleaning disc????
i got one for my PC n it got lil hairs on it, so when u put it in the drive it auto runs it, rotating the disc and therefore cleaning the lense.
so much easier than taking the whole thing apart!!!
however thinking about it i cant member where i got it but any gd computer shop shud sell them. well they do here in the southwest of lil ol england.
but again thinking about it it may not work on the PS2, i havent tried it cos i dont need 2 so cant prove if it acually worked.

Posted by Crazy K

No dude lens cleaners dont work for PS2's. You have to clean it manually or get it fixed.

Posted by Ronin

i used a cotton swab and it does the same thing that it did before: DRE

Posted by Crazy K

If that does not work try Rubbing Alcohol.

Posted by Al Borland

Cleaning the lens didn't work for me. I've tried it mutliple times and have not had any sucess. There are other strategies to getting a working ps2. One I know of is to buy a new ps2 , put the old one in the box, and return it. I doubt that would work at most stores because I'm sure they check serial numbers but it probably works at WalMart. Another is to find somebody to sell it to, then just buy a new one with the money from that.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Al Borland]Another is to find somebody to sell it to, then just buy a new one with the money from that.

Well thats acutually a bad Idea. You should sell it for cheaper since you use it quite a bit, 179 bucks for an old PS2 is kinda bad. People who would want to buy it probably wont. The best thing to probably do is send it to sony to get it fixed. But Wal-mart requires receipts to have items returned, so just bringing it back to wal-mart wont work.

I hate the fact that if my PS2 was messed up and I could not get it fixed then I would have to buy a new one, I aint the richest person and my family is in debt so I could never aford a PS2 just like that. And Thats why I fixed mine. Its works like new.

Posted by Al Borland

How would bringing it back to wal mart not work? Do they not hand out receipts at Walmart? You buy a new system and put your old system in the box then return in for a refund. Unless they check serial numbers, then the plan should work. I sold my old ps2, which also didn't work, to a kid for 100 bucks.

Posted by Map42892

you ever return a broken game to blockbuster? drop it in the hole and zoom right out o' that place.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Al Borland]How would bringing it back to wal mart not work? Do they not hand out receipts at Walmart? You buy a new system and put your old system in the box then return in for a refund. Unless they check serial numbers, then the plan should work. I sold my old ps2, which also didn't work, to a kid for 100 bucks.

Oh I did not understand what you ment, I thought you meant like returning your old system. Anyways it is a good idea to put your old recked PS2 into the new Ps2's box so you can return it. I never tried it before, but maybe I should if my PS2 starts to mess up again later on in life.

[Quote]you ever return a broken game to blockbuster? drop it in the hole and zoom right out o' that place.

If your a member of Blockbuster, it wont matter if you return it broken they still would know who had that game last and make you pay the amount of the game. So yeah either way if you break a game your pretty much screwed because they have your phone number, your mail Address (I think), your name and **** like that.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

They have your everything in blockbuster, especially credit card number.

As for the whole return a PS2 thing. It's almost retarded if you actually put your PS2 like that in the box. Keep your old PS2 case, and take out the insides carefully. Put the new insides in your old case and vice versa. Return the PS2 with a new case and old insides. Serial numbers shouldn't matter then, and a buttload safer.

Posted by Crazy K

Yeah but a lot of people wont be able to take there hole PS2 apart and Exchange it with the other PS2. Some people fear they will break it.

Posted by Ronin

Ok i tried rubbing alcohol. Didn't work. Must be a problem with the alignment or something.

Posted by Crazy K

Maybe. Or it could be dust. Try Blowing into it to get out all the loose dust. And then do the Disc alinment thing.

Posted by Ronin

hmmmmm, i don't understand, nothings working? do you think the laser in the ps2 is like offset or something?

Posted by Prince Redon

Quoting Al Borland: Cleaning the lens didn't work for me. I've tried it mutliple times and have not had any sucess. There are other strategies to getting a working ps2. One I know of is to buy a new ps2 , put the old one in the box, and return it. I doubt that would work at most stores because I'm sure they check serial numbers but it probably works at WalMart. Another is to find somebody to sell it to, then just buy a new one with the money from that.

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]
That is why it's good to have friends that work at Wal-Mart. I know a girl that works at Wal-Mart, so if I ever have this trouble I will just take it to her, and get her to return it for me!:cool:
[/COLOR]

Posted by Crazy K

Thats also risking that womens job.