Rings

Posted by Arczu

Now look, I think these golden things are being overlooked.

For one, exactly what the heck are these things? In just about every Sonic game, the exist, and of course they proctect Sonic and co. from being knocked out in one hit... but where exactly did they come from?

They are scattered all over the stages, and they are commonly seen in lines, or certain curves indicating a direction. In an old sonic series, sonic harnessed the power of one ring (that rose out of some mystical lake) that Roder would provide to him to use a powerful spinning ring attack. In Sonic X, he used one in order to initiate the light speed attack.

In Sonic 1, 3, S&K/3, Giant rings transports characters to a special stage, and in Sonic's 3D Blast, you place flickies into them to complete the stage. I would like to wonder if there will ever be an explanation of these things. Maybe an explanation isin't required.

I originally thought about this going through SADX. In Sonic's first stage, there are a set of 3 or more rings every 4-5 feet!

I wish you wouldn't drop all your rings every time you took at hit, but then the big collectors would live for a long time then.

Posted by CS Ryan

Actually, the game Sonic Triple Trouble for Game Gear is different. I believe you lose 30 rings when you get hit, I need to play it again.

Posted by ProtomanV2

I have been wondering where the rings came form myself. I wish that they allowed you to do a light speed attack in all the games say when you collected a certain number of them.

And somewhat, I wish every Sonic game only had you lose 30 rings on a hit.

Also they should allow you to try and pick up every ring you lost. In the Gamecube versions for example, you only get to recover 20 rings unless you had less then that.

:sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic:

Posted by CS Ryan

It's hard to find the Game Gear game (I have it) but it's also on Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Gems Collection.

Posted by Arczu

How about this for a change: use the rings to preform special abilities.

Seriously, in most of the Sonic games, their biggest use tends to be to sit there in a counter. Why not use some special abilites or something at the cost of some of those rings? I end up with hundreds of them at the end of the stages, and tacking off 20 or 40 to do things wouldn't seem like a bad idea.

Posted by CS Ryan

You can do that in Sonic Adventure 2 in multiplayer.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Seriously, in most of the Sonic games, their biggest use tends to be to sit there in a counter. Why not use some special abilites or something at the cost of some of those rings? I end up with hundreds of them at the end of the stages, and tacking off 20 or 40 to do things wouldn't seem like a bad idea.

Think of the rings like a shield. The protect Sonic from death. So... technically, they already perform a special ability. Plus, they also allow from some replayability, since you want to try and collect as many as possible.

Posted by CS Ryan

In the final boss battle in Sonic Heroes, Super Sonic can do the light speed attack at a cost of a few rings(not sure how many).

Posted by Arczu

Yeah... but quite frankly, even then it's pretty much useless + a waste (Though it MAY add quite a bit to your Blast meter for striking the metal mass, I'm not sure)

The multiplayer's SA2:B abilites are there, true, but not in 1 player mode, rather the computer uses their ability whever they want (but you can atcually dodge them). I just feel that the games would be more enjoyable if the rings were used for more than protection, points, or currency.

If anything, they should keep the checkpoint bonuses. Crossing those checkpoints with 80-89 rings was always good for a nice boost.

Posted by CS Ryan

True.

Posted by Psi_Agent_X

I think the ring were created to give the chaos emeralds their ultimate powers.

Posted by CS Ryan

Rings are almost useless now in Shadow the Hedgehog. You lose about 10 each time you get hit, and you only get a life if you pass a checkpoint with 100+ rings.

Posted by Linko_16

Not what I'd call useless. Sometimes you can build up to an amount that can't possibly be cut down, but when you're starved for rings, they're just as precious as they've always been.

Posted by fig roll

I think that you should have different colour rings that do different things, like a red one would kill you, and a blue one gives you more speed.
you could even have bronze, silver and gold rings hidden in levels to find to win bonus prizes.
as for the giant rings that take you to the special stages, you should have different coloured ones to have different levels of hardness or different special stages compleatly.
Just a thought for you. :amy: :sonic:

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I grew up reading the English Fleetway comic, Sonic the Comic, and it answered it as follows:

Rings are an intrusion of excess Chaos energy from the Chaos Emeralds. Seeing as the Emeralds are an infinite source of power, the energy they produce has to go somewhere - it manifests as golden rings.
Super Sonic needs fifty rings to build up enough Chaos energy to come to being, for example.

Rings can be manipulated to have certain powers. Chaotix, for example, carry the 'link rings' - two rings that are bound together, similar to magnetism. Computer programs of infinite size can be downloaded to them. And, of course, the large ones act as portals to other worlds.

Posted by Alex_DX

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Lime"]Ring are very important in avery sonic game at the last boss you need rings[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Posted by Arczu

Quoting Wings: Rings are an intrusion of excess Chaos energy from the Chaos Emeralds. Seeing as the Emeralds are an infinite source of power, the energy they produce has to go somewhere - it manifests as golden rings.
Really... that's actually very logical. Not to mention that Super Sonic consumes rings to keep his form. I never got to read the comics, so I guess that's all the stuff I would be missing.

Okay, the Link rings I kinda recall abit. I saw them in 1 particular game which I know not the name of. Sonic and tails were running through a stage, and all the while holding onto a single ring which both were linked together. ANy body know?

So they have power, but my question is, how come we cannot really use the rings unless the chaos emerals are involved? Even if preforming a small action during the stage that could require you hold a certain amount would be nice (as in the advance series, the more rings you had, the less time it took to enter boost mode).

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Wings: I grew up reading the English Fleetway comic, Sonic the Comic, and it answered it as follows:

Rings are an intrusion of excess Chaos energy from the Chaos Emeralds. Seeing as the Emeralds are an infinite source of power, the energy they produce has to go somewhere - it manifests as golden rings.
Super Sonic needs fifty rings to build up enough Chaos energy to come to being, for example.

Rings can be manipulated to have certain powers. Chaotix, for example, carry the 'link rings' - two rings that are bound together, similar to magnetism. Computer programs of infinite size can be downloaded to them. And, of course, the large ones act as portals to other worlds.

I lived in the USA for most of my childhood, and read the Dark Horse comic until I was nine. It gave a slightly different viewpoint in that (by the way I remember it) three "elders" created the rings, and once an individual collects one cumulative million of the things (guess who manages this?), they enter a special zone and learn about the rings. The whole thing was totally trippy with a sea of chaos emeralds, and rings in the sky, and etc etc etc.

The link rings game was Knuckles Chaotix, for Game Gear, insofar as I can remember.

I didn't realise there was a Dark Horse Sonic comic... I thought the American ones were Archie?

Posted by Klarth

...Yes. You're right. It's been seven years since I've seen one, sue me. >:O

And, iirc, Knuckles Chaotix was on the Genesis/Megadrive 32X.

You're right, it was the 32X add-on. Darn.