SC III comes only for the PS2

Posted by Mystic Hero

Feel free to delete this if it has already been posted.

Anyway, that's right. The new Soul Calibur III will only be featured on the PS2. Aparently what I have seen from this game looks to me to be far better than the last one. The graphics look most impressive. And they have a new feature that lets you create your own custom character. From the looks of it SC III looks pretty amazing. What ticks me off is those of us that don't own the PS2 won't be able to get our hands on this game and try it out for ourselves. It's a shame that most of the good games come out for the PS2 and they leave the other systems without good games such as that one.:(

I know SC II was a big disapointment, at least to me, but I do admit this game looks fantastic compared to the last and all I want to do is try it out. If I happen to find in the future that I like it, it's going to suck because I won't be able to buy it.

Posted by Random

I think it's a huge mistake. Namco I think wanted to Lose money on the deal. They could have had more fans and more money being on multiple consoles. Oh well.. I don't plan on buying another PS2 for it.

Posted by Pit

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Namco I think wanted to Lose money on the deal.

This statement makes no sense.

Posted by Random

-_-' I was being sarcastic.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

It makes absolutely no sense at all. Not only was the ps2 version of Soul Calibur II riddled with frame-dropping when played by someone with any amount of skill at the game, but the GAMECUBE version outsold it. Yes, it was because Link was in it, but who cares? Put Link and Ganondorf in 3 and it would outsell the ps2 version, too.

The greatest outrage of all is that the game won't be released in arcades because of this deal. I blame sony for all the evils in the industry (except for the whole Tetris thing, but that was a long time ago), and this time is no different. It's a pity Namco bowed to their insipid marketing ploys.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Sony must have given them a bundle of cash to make it an exclusive.

Either way, I hated the PS2 version of SCII... so as much as I want a new SC, I'm not anticipating it.

Quoted post: I know SC II was a big disapointment, at least to me

Compared to SCI, anything would have been a disappointment. Though, SCII was still a great game.

Posted by Bebop

A SC III thread is already in the PS2 board, plue it's odd news.

Still, I don't quite understand it either.

Posted by muffla

well the way namco might see it is that the ps3 is gonna sell the most copies and it will have backwards compatablility. so i will sell manny copies one the ps2 then when the ps3 comes out manny people will pick that up as their first game
probly not but this is what sneaked it way into my brain

but still it would be smarter to put it on gc and xb

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting muffla: well the way namco might see it is that the ps3 is gonna sell the most copies and it will have backwards compatablility. so i will sell manny copies one the ps2 then when the ps3 comes out manny people will pick that up as their first game
probly not but this is what sneaked it way into my brain

but still it would be smarter to put it on gc and xb

That makes absolutely no sense at all. PS3 has nothing to do with what I just said. And how do you know PS3 will sell the most copies? You never know what the future holds buddy. And another thing, who says SC III will be bought most as a first game choice on the PS3 than any of the other new games that come out for it at that time? People with a PS2 already will want to check the game out when it comes out and not wait until the PS3 comes out just to buy it. That makes no sense. Why wait for the new system to come out to buy the game when you could just buy it for your PS2?

Posted by Drewboy64

He's saying that if the PS3 has backwards compatability, then people would buy SC III for the PS2 even if that had the third one, because they could play it.

Anyway, I hate Namco unless they make a Gamecube version. I mean, why would they choose the worst system out to make this game?

Posted by Random

Yes it doesn't seem to make sense. I'm sure the PS2 version sold more due to the fact that there are more PS2 owners, than cube or box owners. But they'd be losing money not to launch it on other consoles. And they'd be losing fan support during the same time. Don't quite know why their doing it. Hopefully they can change it.

Posted by Drewboy64

I hope it's like RE4, where they made another version for the ps2. I really want to play this game, and I want to use Tira and make my own characters.

Quoted post: I'm sure the PS2 version sold more due to the fact that there are more PS2 owners, than cube or box owners.

The GC version sold the most, if I remember correctly. Which is a reason a lot of people think this is a dumb move.

Quoted post: well the way namco might see it is that the ps3 is gonna sell the most copies and it will have backwards compatablility.

All next-gen consoles are backwards compatible.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Drewboy64:
Anyway, I hate Namco unless they make a Gamecube version. I mean, why would they choose the worst system out to make this game?

They siad something to do with the graphics on SC III look so good that it is close to that of the PS3 version or some bull **** like that. So they wanted the PS2 to have the game since it has powerful graphics, but I think the other systems have just as good graphics as PS2 especially X-Box. It's gay the way they only make it for one sytem.

Quoted post: but I think the other systems have just as good graphics as PS2 especially X-Box.

It's a proven fact that both GC and XB are more powerful than the PS2. Thus, both are capable of better graphics.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I was really looking forward to SC III but not know. I think Sony did pay them large amounts of cash to make the game for the PS2 only. Namco seems to be making dumb moves lately though. Maybe they just thought they would make more money with a PS2 only game since more people own a PS2.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Drewboy64: Anyway, I hate Namco unless they make a Gamecube version. I mean, why would they choose the worst system out to make this game?

Because maybe some people think that the PS2 is the best system, you bias prick.

*Waits for October 25-26*

Posted by CRONOfrog9

Quoting Shade: Because maybe some people think that the PS2 is the best system, you bias prick.

*Waits for October 25-26*

lol
hes a fanboy, ignore him.

Posted by Random

I just don't see why Namco decided to have it for only one console. It's a money losing decision that they'll probably regret. No.. They probably won't lose money but they won't be making as much money. It seems rather dumb but it's their decision I guess.

Quoted post: Because maybe some people think that the PS2 is the best system, you bias prick.

It's by far the best when it coems to console race, but he may mean that it's the worst when it comes to specs. SC has always been a beautiful game (or as beautiful as it could be), and if it wants to continue with that, it would only make sense to send it to a more graphically capable console.

Either way, I'll still be getting it, unless they somehow blow it.

Posted by Random

They'd have to really make the game super awesome for me to even give it a second chance. I'm not going to purchase a PS2 anytime soon.

Posted by loony636

Soul Calibur 2 was good, but kinda short. Also you could get past most battles by button-bashing (although there were moves you could learn that could beat button-bashers). Soul Calibur 3, I don't know. It was a mistake by Namco to only make it for PS2, since I think that Xbox and the Gamecube are increasing in popularity and will soon overtake the PS2. However good it might be, I don't think I would go out and buy a PS2 just to play it.

Quoted post: Soul Calibur 2 was good, but kinda short.

... It was a fighter... what do you expect? The replayability comes from the vs. mode. Just like every fighter.

Quoted post:
since I think that Xbox and the Gamecube are increasing in popularity and will soon overtake the PS2

You would think incorrect. Neither comes anywhere close to the PS2. Not to mention the fact that ever console is now on it's last legs. So there's no chance of any of them catching up.

Posted by Sorrow

This is such A stupid move. Hopefully namco will change it's mind

Posted by Random

Quoting Vampiro: You would think incorrect. Neither comes anywhere close to the PS2. Not to mention the fact that ever console is now on it's last legs. So there's no chance of any of them catching up.

Though this much is true, Sales for both the Xbox and Gamecube have been selling far more than the PS2 as of late. Of course most people have or had a PS2 by now that will get one, but many have converted. I being someone who used to be huge into Sony, now go toward Microsoft. I'm not saying the whole world or even the U.S. is like that by any means, but I know many who used to have PS2's that sold them for cubes or xbox's. It would be a mistake not to release it on other consoles.

Quoted post: Though this much is true, Sales for both the Xbox and Gamecube have been selling far more than the PS2 as of late. Of course most people have or had a PS2 by now that will get one, but many have converted. I being someone who used to be huge into Sony, now go toward Microsoft. I'm not saying the whole world or even the U.S. is like that by any means, but I know many who used to have PS2's that sold them for cubes or xbox's. It would be a mistake not to release it on other consoles.

I'm not denying that it wouldn't be a bad move, but if they had to choose one console that will garuntee them many sales, the PS2 would be that console. If there's more PS2 owners, then there's a higer chance of more sales.
Either way, the PS2 still outsells both the XB and GC greatly, even if both are doing well lately, it's far too late, like I said.