Advanced/Super/Japanese DI

Posted by Cyphus

I know how to "japanese DI" or "super DI"/ "Advanced DI" or however u want to call it.

I practice it on Final Destination against Samus's fully charged shots and its a good idea too, until you grasp the whole concept.
My record is living 5 in a row...........starting at 250%. mwuahahah.

Just go to Training, pick a character like peach and stand a good distance from Samus on FD. Let her charge up her Shot and fire it. In first learning to timing, DUCK while it is coming then press UP as it hits you.(though ducking is not neccessary, nor realistically effective...it helps you learn the 2nd half of it, pressing Up, easier)
Don't get me wrong...its very hard to do...and even harder to do in a real fight, but ken has it mastered.(u'll know when u do it right because you fly away upward but slower and sort of.."air break". If you bounce on the ground and live..u only CCed it...and didn't do it correctly)

I'm sure everyone's done it on accident sometime or another. basically apon getting hit you press down then hold up. It sound simple..but the timing has to be FRAME-PERFECT.(and no this is Not crouch cancelling...but you can do it while CCing by holding down then pressing Up.
its usually effective to survive an attack at high damage when you make a mistake(mistime an LC or shuffle or roll into an attack, etc)
So in its true form its just pressing Down then Up quickly but in frame percision during the time when you are being attack.

So in the long run it just looks like the attack only put out half the power. Ken did it in the tournament several times. He even used it to survive UpThrow to Rests from Jigs as Fox!(and i'm talking the FIRST rest..not repeated weakened ones)

All in all, as awesome as Advanced DI is...it is still only useful in a situation where you know you're about to get hit. And most of Those situations there are simply better options than taking the hit(shieding, rolling, sidestepping, WDing, clashing, or just simply CCing). So you'd have to learn to have it down as a reflex for those rare moments that the hit is inevitable, you can see it coming, but u can't do anything...like right when you pull yourself back up on the stage and their attack is about to meet you, or if you sidestep to early.

I really haven't had much success w/ the technique is real matches, yet....and i don't think i'll continue trying to learn it, since i have more important things i'm currently working on.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

.... this game... never stops to not amaze me

ns, I'll... try to start this >,>

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Jesus Christ, this is harder than learning wavedash, when, it should be ten times easier.

I'll try tomorrow when I'm not tired. Though I'm amazed it's such a simple manoeuver.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I had this on my mind playing this today

K I have issues playing this game because the nail on my middle finger on my right hand needs to be 1/4th the size of my nail for me to play at my full.

ANYWAY

I was playing my brother today, and I noticed I tried doing that thing, it was in my head for some reason, and I noticed I did it like you said, and out of the many tries, one by accident worked.

It was pretty weird, XD

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I was playing my brother today, and I noticed I tried doing that thing, it was in my head for some reason, and I noticed I did it like you said, and out of the many tries, one by accident worked.

Yeah, I've had it happen once before. Though, I never meant for it to happen. Too bad I can't do it when I actually try.

Posted by Arczu

I would still like to see a graphical demonstration. I'm not sure if I even pulled this trick off before. If the timing has to be on a frame with the game, then it's pretty darn critical to learn it that way..

Posted by Mystic Hero

I'm sure I have done it before. I kind of see what you are talking about. Indeed, it is very hard to do and at the same time veryu useful as Cyphus stated above. On rare occassions I would do teh technique and it would save me from an instant KO, it's a shame though that it is tough to master seeing as it is very handy when you know the next attack that will hit you will surely make a KO.

Posted by DarkBlade

[COLOR=black]AHA! Its been clearly reconized of how this Japan DI works aswell other things like Why you didnt tech when you clearly pressed L at the techable moment![/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Smashboards has just reliesed information that tells how this works. The guides abit hard to follow for those who done know the Terminology. Like Foxes ADA means Foxes A.rial D.own A.ttack and stuff. Note, This is NOT by any means credible by myself. I simple want to help every1 understand.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]This information belongs to Doraki at Smashboards. Lord HDL, and Omni Also say to have informed the people of this but not in a guide so complete[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]Enjoy! I know I did, drooling over this Grand Guide.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][SIZE=1]"G.G. guys G.G."[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]:-D [/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Doraki's[/COLOR]
A Guide to DI, Smash DI, C-stick DI, Teching and Crouch Cancelling
[SIZE=2]Introduction :[/SIZE]

The most important part of this guide is explaining in details how DI precisely works, how it is done and how it works with Teching.

DIing is basically anything you can do when you are taking a hit to affect your trajectory. (I'm not talking about Aerial Control, which has nothing to do with being hit)
DI can be divided in 3 parts : Smash DI (SDI), Automatic Smash DI (ASDI), and Regular DI (I'll keep it at DI)

[SIZE=2]Smash DI :[/SIZE]

When you take a hit, there are frames of hitlags where you're frozen and stay in place before being sent flying. The number of hitlag frames varies between 2-3 up to around 18 with Samus's Fully Charged Shot, or burner hits in BtT stages.

During those frame, you can move around using Smash DI.
If you smash the [URL="http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=1104587#"]Control Stick[/URL] in one direction, your character will move instantly in that direction. It doesn't go very far, but it can still save your life sometimes.

If the hit is techable, Smash DI can be used to move yourself into a wall or a ceiling and you'll either bounce back or tech.
However Smash DIing into the ground can't make you tech (it would clearly be broken)

Forbidden Smash DI :

If you are on the ground and are hit by a non-techable move that sends you horizontally or downwards, you won't be able to Smash DI up.
I call this Forbidden Smash DI. It would in fact be broken because you would take the hit airborne, you would land on the ground without any stun.
The developpers saw this and prevented that from happening.
Forbidden Smash DI makes sure you stay stunned on the ground when you're hit by Fox's Aerial Down A, Fox's shine or any other relatively weak hit nailing you into the ground.
(However I've seen [URL="http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=1104587#"]CPUs[/URL] breaking that rule in Adventure mode )

Multiple Smash DIing :

If you are fast with the control stick you can sometimes input several Smash DIs
This is basically what you do when you use the so-called "Quarter-circle DI".

In the Perfect Control [URL="http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=1104587#"]Video[/URL], there is a clip where a [URL="http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=1104587#"]Mario[/URL] on Jungle Japes takes a Charge Shot from the left, use Smash DI on each frame of hitlag alternating between down-left and up-left, and finally Smash DIs up into a ceiling and wall-tech-jumps there.

[SIZE=2]Regular DI :[/SIZE]

After the hitlag, your character starts flying from the hit.

Regular DI will influence your trajectory, it has been known for more than a year now.
DIing along the same line of the defaut trajectory doesn't affect it at all. What does work and what saves your life at high % is having a DI perpendicular to the defaut trajectory.

[SIZE=2]Automatic Smash DI :[/SIZE]

An Automatic Smash DI takes place there on the 1st frame after the hitlag.
It's automatic because you don't have to smash anything to do it, the game just reads the position of your control stick or C-stick on the last frame of hitlag.
The C-stick outprioritizes the control stick. You can hold 2 different directions, the game will use the C-stick for the ASDI : you can DI one way and ASDI another way.

The ASDI is exactly like Smash DI except that it goes less far, and you don't see it very well because you're sent flying at the same time.
On techable hits, it can make you tech on walls or ceiling just as well.
One very important thing is that you can tech on the floor as well if the ASDI makes you go down on that frame.
The instant ground techs on other moves than Fox's shine all come from this.

ASDI Down, the true Crouch Cancelling effect :

If you're grounded and take a move that sends you upwards but not very fast, ASDIing down'll make you go downwards on that frame. You'll then either tech if the hit is techable, or just land with no stun.

If you're grounded and take a move that sends you down, if it's untechable, Forbidden Smash DI applies and you'll stay stunned on the ground whatever you try to do (DI doesn't work in those cases, too.)
If it's techable, you'll see a green flash on the ground at the beginning of the hitlag and you'll be sent up. You can try to ASDI down that and you may bounce/tech that hit.

For example, Fox's Aerial Down A sends you downwards and is never techable.
Falco's Aerial Down A sends you downwards and becomes techable at low/middle %
Falco's Phantasm sends you up if you're grounded but sends you down when you're in the air, and it's always techable.
Fox's shine sends you horizontally when you're grounded.

[SIZE=2]DI on throws and phantom hits :[/SIZE]

Throws don't have any hitlag window, so only Regular DI can be used when you're thrown.
Phantom hits doesn't send you anywhere, but you can still use SDI or ASDI when you're taking a Phantom hit.
Phantom hits happen when your hitbox and the move's hitbox are tangent. A very bad idea is to SDI or ASDI into the hitbox of the move while it's still there, because you'll then take the hit like normal.

[SIZE=2]Crouch Cancelling :[/SIZE]

CCing is what happens when you're crouching while taking a hit.
It tremendously reduces the knockback of the move, reduces the hitlag, and the move is weakened so you must be at higher %age to tech it (or it makes the move completely untechable, like Fox's shine)

You have to be crouching to crouch cancel, if you're not crouching you're not crouch cancelling.

Usually you're DIing down with the control stick when you're CCing, which makes you ASDI down on the weakened move, thus makes you land right after the hitlag (or bounce on the ground if you're at high %age) :
CCing weakens the move and ASDI down makes you stay grounded.

[SIZE=2]Teching :[/SIZE]

Teching is simple : In order to tech a hit you have to press L in a 20-frame window before bouncing on a wall/floor/ceiling.
The tricky thing put in by the developpers is that pressing L during the hitlag of a move will prevent you from teching, except if it's the last frame of hitlag and you're bouncing on the next frame or if you're SDIing into the wall and pressing L on the same frame.
That's why in order to tech a hit while you're recovering or in order to ground tech you absolutely have to press L before being hit or have insane precision/reflex.

If you tech on a wall, you can perform a wall jump, with any character. You have to hold up or jump in the first few frames after the tech.

[SIZE=2]How to use DI :[/SIZE]

To escape from a combo, use proper Smash DI, ASDI and proper DI. Know what you can do, where you want to go, and how DI affects your trajectory.

To walltech more moves when you're recovering, Smash DI and ASDI towards the wall.

To survive from a powerful move, DI to the perpendicular of your trajectory and preferably upwards, while ASDIing towards the stage with the C-stick.

To ground-tech a hit, DI to the perpendicular of your trajectory and preferably down, while ASDIing down with the C-stick.

IMO CCing should only be used to Crouch Cancel Counter. Why be sent flying when you could shield instead ?