I need serious help

Posted by CRONOfrog9

My birthday is September 28, and my mom has told me i can have 1 of two options.

1.I get a psp for my birthday with a game, and the 360 core system for easter.
2.I get a game for my birthday, and the xbox 360 full system for christmas.

Frankly, I am not sure which one to choose so I am leaving it to you.

Posted by Random

Your better off with the 360 Full System. Not only does it put the Core System to shame but it's far better than a PSP. The PSP Isn't a bad idea but it really doesn't have many games or any good quality games as of yet, and the 360 has a decent launch list. Besides i've always preferred home console over hand held. Thats just my opinion but I voted..

Posted by celtic790

I'm trying to sell a like new PSP with NFL Street if you are interested.

Posted by Speedfreak

Perfect Dark > anything the PSP will ever have.

Posted by Al Borland

I bought a PSP, and you are better off with an Xbox 360. I'm not saying it was a waste of money because there are some goods games out plus all the cool emulators and junk, but right now I don't use it a lot because nothing good out yet. Virtua Tennis and GTA will definatly be awesome though. You should probably wait to make your final decision till the launch titles are announced.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Your second option is much better. Go with the Xbox 360 full system.

Posted by Scorpion

I think the PSP is really great an all, but it will never compare to a normal console. Plus the core 360 will suck compared to the Full version.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Second option sounds waaay better, trust me. Also, I hardly heard anything about PSP and Nintendo DS. The action on those platforms not the the hottest.

Just get a game now and then enjoy your Xmas with your Xbox360. :)

Posted by psp

Ya i agree with pretty much everyone else. Wait til next summer to get a psp. They may have a better list of games by then. But, there is a problem with getting a 360. Unless u already have it pre ordered, u wont be guaranteed one by christmas. Thats what i heard from my local gamestop, but they could be wrong.

P.S.- If you want, you can try that mountain dew Xbox 360 contest. I know its like 1 in 1000 to win, but u never know. Just go to [url]www.every10minutes.com[/url].

Posted by Mystic Hero

Get the 360 dude. That thing will be a wild Christmas gift.

Posted by Xqars

Go for the Xbox 360 because it'll be better for your own money if your mom buys a more expensive console. Plus the PSP doesn't have any A+ games at the moment in my opinion. Maybe a few 8.0 games but nothing to get excited over so I imagine you could wait awhile without it.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I sure am happy I have a job so I can get both! :D

Posted by Darkbackward

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that telling a person to buy an xbox 360 over a psp because of game quality is quite laughable. I mean given that the xbox 360 hasn't been launched yet, it seems somewhat childish to start saying how much better it is than the psp.

Frankly, I don't think I would ever buy an xbox 360, games like ut2k7, call of duty 2, the elder scrolls 4: oblivion will all be on the pc, and probably much better with mods.

Meanwhile the psp has alot of games and umds released for it already. You wouldn't have to take a chance on a game that may or may not be good. I can't exist without my friends telling me how good hot shots golf is, plus virtua tennis and grand theft auto lcs, all before the actual launch of the xbox 360.

Here are the gamerankings.
PSP
Lumines PSP 90.2%
Wipeout Pure PSP 88.9%
Ridge Racer PSP 87.8%
THUG 2 Remix PSP 83.9%
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee PSP 81.7%
MLB PSP 81.4%
Twisted Metal: Head-On PSP 81.3%

Xbox 360
No reviews available :(

Nah, If I was you I would either upgrade your computer or buy more psp stuff.

Posted by obryen

I hate to support the PSP because I'm a Nintendo-biased prick, but honestly I'd say go with the PSP, if only for GTA. Also, do the math. The PSP is, what, $200? The Xbox 360 full is only $100 more than the core. If you already have an original Xbox, then the backward compatibility shouldn't matter too much to you. That leaves the hard drive, the headset, the wireless controller, the remote control, the HD cables, and the ethernet cable. You can get an ethernet cable in a cracker jack box, and if you don't have HD TV, the HD cables won't make much difference. If you can put up with a wired controller, the only real difference is the hard drive and the headset. So. Do you want extra storage capacity for one console, or that same console without the storage capacity plus a PSP?

Or maybe you want all that other stuff too. I don't know.

Posted by BlackOps

I know it's just my opinion, but i've never been too fond with handhelds. I don't find them very exciting. If you agree, you would be a lot happier with a 360.

Posted by Darkbackward

It's still ignorant to suggest a system that hasn't been released with a system already released.

Since he posted he psp or xbox 360 he obviously considers the psp worthy and therefore good enough to be in the same class as 360, so he clearly doesn't prefer consoles to hand helds.

There are only two plausible answers, A. Buy a psp or B. Wait to see if the games on 360 are any good. Those are the only two answers, telling him to buy an xbox 360 just becuase is idiotic.

Posted by Random

First off it's probably best to have a home console over a handheld console any day. Very few people would disagree with me. Handhelds are fun to have don't get me wrong, but a Home Console is liable to last longer. There will be a much larger and probably much better quality in gaming for the 360 than the PSP. Sure the PSP is out and has a few decent titles but the 360 Launch titles themselves look awesome. They could all be crap, but it's Doubtful.

Secondly why buy a Portable Gaming Console for $250? Thats way expensive. The 360 is only $50 more if you buy the Core, and $150 more if you get the Package. By the package I mean, a wireless controller, wireless headset, 20 GB Detachable HD, and a DVD Remote, all for the low price of $100 extra dollars, plus a free 2 month XBL Gold Membership.

Where $250 for a PSP, just gets you a PSP. A PSP which isn't backwards compatibile or anything. Even if you purchased a 360 theres supposedly around 300 Games that are backwards compatible according to my Manager. And at least the better games like Halo, Halo 2, KOTOR, KOTOR 2, Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black, Jade Empire, Fable etc. So even if you can't afford any games for the 360, you can play those til yer able to purchase.

Posted by Crazy K

Well I aint to fond of Handheld systems. The only handheld system I got is a Gameboy advance and I won that from a contest. I rarely play it. But I find the price of the PSP outrageous. Your better off getting an Xbox 360 because well lets face it its only 50 or so dollars more then the PSP.

So yeah go for the Xbox 360.

Posted by obryen

But he himself isn't buying it, his mom is buying it. That's why I say he should get his mom to get him the PSP and the core system together. If he were to decide that he wanted both, it's a lot cheaper to get the extras for the full system than to get a PSP, and I doubt he'd bother getting all the extras anyway.

Posted by Random

But anyone who purchases a Core will be losing money than as if he purchased the Fully Loaded. The Core is $300, comes with a wired Controller and the plugs. Nothing else! You'd have to buy a HD or Memory Cards for it and your online Gaming would be obsolete without a head set that you'd have to purchase, you couldn't watch DVD's or have a wireless controller.

Ugh.. Lets go Shopping shall we?

Xbox Core=$299.99
360 Wireless Controller=$49.99
360 20 GB HD=$99.99
360 DVD Remote=$29.99
360 Headset=$19.99

Add em up that comes to (Without Taxes figured)-$499.95.

Now with the Fully Loaded you get all that for $399.99 Does that not sound Smart? Why waste money like that? Get a Fully Loaded now, and if you want the D*mn PSP, Purchase it someday down the road. Save yourself money and get the Fully Loaded. Lets Face it.. the Core Sucks.. Reminds me of the PS2 at launch. Crappy, expensive obsolete hardware, that you had to buy memory for.

Posted by obryen

I'm assuming the guy wants both the PSP and the 360, or else he wouldn't post this.
So, if you're going on finance, according to the prices you listed:
If he got the 360 full and no PSP, then decided to get himself a PSP later, he spends $250.
If he got the 360 core and the PSP, then decided to get all the extras for the core that came with the full, he'd spend $200. And he probably wouldn't bother to get all of them, as some of them he might not use very often. If he already has a DVD player, which he likely does, he might not bother with the DVD remote. Maybe he's content with the wired controller. It's up to him, but either way, he saves $50 of his own money.

Posted by Random

When you assume.. You make an (A_s_s) out of (U) and (ME) :-P I think it's either or both. I'm not saying he doesn't want both but money wise it's more intelligent to get the Fully Loaded 360. If you have stuff like the DVD player that you don't want, theres a thing called Trade-Ins that you get value out of them saving yourself and earning some money. It's still a smart idea. Besides why purchase a $99.99 HD with the Core? Thats rediculous. That alone is the Cost of the Fully Loaded. And who wants to use Memory Cards? Memory Cards Suck, especially if you can have a Detachable HD that holds way more space than a MC.

Posted by obryen

So that you don't have to scroll up, I'll retype my math right here. Keep in mind that his mom is buying this stuff. It's not his money, it's his mom's. It's being given to him. Free. I assume he wants both because he's obviously expressed interest in both.

If he gets the 360 Full, and decides he wants a PSP, he spends $250, as that's how much the PSP costs.

If he gets the 360 core and the PSP, and decides he wants all the stuff that comes with the 360 Full, he spends $200 according to the prices you listed.

His out of pocket expense, not his mom's, is less assuming he wants it all and goes for the PSP and 360 core. If he didn't want it all, he wouldn't have started this thread. The other advantage of not buying the Full is that he gets to pick and choose the bonuses that he really wants. I, for one, would not buy the DVD remote as I already have a DVD player and a computer and a PS2, all of which I can watch DVDs on. He might do the same. Even if he doesn't, he spends less.

See?

Posted by Random

Will his mom purchase out of her pocket the 20 GB Hard Drive? Because so far I don't see anything in your argument that even makes me think twice. If she pays for the $100 dollar HD and things like a headset after he already has the core and the PSP Then i'd agree. But otherwise thats $120 he won't have again.

Posted by obryen

I'm moving this to private.

Posted by Random

Listen Obryen I understand that his mom is going to pay for it. But if his mom gets him the "Core" he'd have to pay for the HD, and the Headset unless she's willing to buy that too. In which case would be already more expensive than the Fully Loaded. It seems logical to me. Besides the PSP hasn't really had much out thats all great and wonderful. It will eventually but it's due for a price drop around Holiday 05. It makes sense to purchase a Home Console for $400 which is $150 more than the PSP, and actually be able to play Xbox Games, than it would to purchase a PSP which you'd have to purchase games for.