No, Raptor didn't hack it...this time!!!!

Posted by Jesse Smith

No, no one hacked it!!! I crashed it!!!!!!! I simply did a

chmod -R 666 *

in telnet which changes the permission, but it changed the permission of the whole server instead of just a site, giving it a curse!! Causing the server to have a kernel attack!!!!

Posted by Alastor

Don't know exactly what the problem is, but everyone's avatars seem to have been replaced with "(username)'s Avatar". The only people whose avatars I can see are mine and The Hammer's. What's the problem there?

Edit: I can see Chronic's avatar, too.
Edit 2: And Shade's, Angelwing's, and Roinkz's.

Posted by brownoystercult

I can't see your avatar.

Posted by Jesse Smith

That's because they were deleted with the server restore. Re-upload it. There not part of the database.

Posted by Alastor

Ah, alright. I see yours now, Jesse. Anyone see mine?

Posted by verystrait42

yea

Posted by Proto Man

Test...

EDIT: Darnit, I have to re-load my avatar. maybe I will do something different than what I had.

Posted by Supermario

Was the crash a test?

Or were you trying to change something on the board and it messed up?

Posted by sabre

Oh. wonderful.

At least I haven't missed anything the day I was away.

Posted by Shade

I can't see most people's avatars. They're there, but there's an X on the box and it says "Sabredog's Avatar."

I can however, see Jesse's and Dan's.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Supermario: Was the crash a test?

Or were you trying to change something on the board and it messed up?

I was chmoding a site. (Permission of files.) I ended up chmoding the whole server to 666 giving it a curse!!!!

I got almost all the major sites up now. Working on one last content site now, then got 18 affiliate sites left.

No, I don't freak out when it crashes, I just get to work geting it all back up asap. Since when it crashes/gets hacked, there's nothing you can do about it except get it all back-up. Judging by some AIM messages last night, there are a lot of people who freak out more than I do when it crashes!!!!!! Gah, one person was all freaked out about his rep! And no, it wasn't Dexter!!! I wanted to say 'F the rep'!!!!! I think it was the n00bie who always liked to TYPE IN CAPS, has or had a blog, and got banned.

Posted by Arczu

So VGChat went down because of some sort of error? Man... this just keeps getting weirder and wierder.

I wish that server wasn't so fragile...

Posted by NegativeTrend

It isn't fragile Jesse just broke it because he didn't know what he was doing.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Jesse Smith: I wanted to say 'F the rep'!!!!!

Ha Ha, I think that's the closest to Jesse swearing I have ever seen.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

CHMOD is the permission settings on a file. A series of 3 numbers that determands what type of viewers can do what.

First Number (666) = Owner's Permissions
Second Number (666) = Group's Permissions
Third Number (666) = Public's Permissions

Each number (1-7) allows a certain permission or combination of permissions (Read, Write, and Execute).

1 = Execute
2 = Write
3 = Write and Execute
4 = Read
5 = Read and Execute
6 = Read and Write
7 = Read and Write and Execute

Not complicated, but we all know Jesse. :cool:

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Protoman: Ha Ha, I think that's the closest to Jesse swearing I have ever seen.

GRRR!!!!! Everythings down and this ****** is all freaked out about his effing rep!!!!!!!!! GRRRRR!!!!!!

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

*Sigh*

These crashes/hacks are getting tiresome

Posted by loony636

What? Two in a year is tiresome?

Posted by Poison

Quoting loony636: What? Two in a year is tiresome?

...Said by the guy with the "Magic Mushroom" signature.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Welcome to VGChat, where you never know what you'll see when you come!! :D:D:D:D This is no normal site!!! :D:D:D:D

Posted by Slade

Quoting Poison: ...Said by the guy with the "Magic Mushroom" signature.

That mushroom alone tends to make me ignore everything he says.

Hey, I missed out, didn't even realize VGC was down. Schnaps...

Posted by Proto Man

Makes me wonder if half the people on this site are on mushrooms.

Anyhow Jesse is right about this place not being normal... read my sig for normal.

Posted by Klarth

VGC's been hacked plenty of times before you arrived, loongoon.

so, at least I have an explanation for where my avatar went, giving me an op to change it. Although I couldn't care less about VGC being hacked while I'm away.

Posted by mis0

Not being here everyday confuses poor little me.

Jesse) So you messed with the permissions through Telnet to crash part of the site on purpose? I'll remember this incase I ever get bored and decide to hax0r you guys.
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Posted by Screenname

Jesse your lying raptor did it!

Posted by The Judge

*you're

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Jesse Smith: Judging by some AIM messages last night, there are a lot of people who freak out more than I do when it crashes!!!!!! Gah, one person was all freaked out about his rep! And no, it wasn't Dexter!!! I wanted to say 'F the rep'!!!!! I think it was the n00bie who always liked to TYPE IN CAPS, has or had a blog, and got banned.

Now I remember who it waz, since he just PMd me. It was 007 ninja!! He'z da official rep freak!!!!

Posted by Jesse Smith

Gah! I could of avoided the whole mess if I had simply loged into telnet as the site admin instead of the server root. I uploaded the files as zip through ftp because it's much faster to upload four ziped files than around 35,000 press releases (168 megs)!!! Then I had to unzip the files in telnet and thats where the permission chaos started!!! Instead I unziped them ahile I was in telnet as root. Simply changing the file permission wouldn't fix it, as I found out them!!! If I had simply unzip it after changing to the site admin it would of been the same as uploading them on ftp so i would then be able to update the file/delete the file through ftp instead of not being able to touch the file through ftp. Oh well, you always learn stuff when you have crashes!!!!! I unziped all my big sites the wrong way, under root!!! Luckly I don't update most of them!!!! Was it worth the crash to learn that???!!! No!!!!!

Posted by The Judge

Double Posting and quoting yourself? You've degraded.

Posted by Jesse Smith

GRRR!!!!! Remember, I'm on crack!!!! I'm messed up!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Posted by mis0

CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Wait, what?

I always miss the hacks/crashes :(

Posted by Poison

Quoting Vampiro: Wait, what?

You're always lucky.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Vampiro: Wait, what?

Grrr!!! Maybe if you never left then we would never have them!!!! :(:(:(

Posted by Screenname

Uh why was I banned?

Posted by The Judge

So now you're blaming Vampiro's away-time for the crash?

Posted by Slade

Remember kids: Crack is wack.

Posted by Linko_16

[quote=Jesse Smith]

Is this the username hack or do I need to edit my password?

I guess I will anyway. :/

Posted by NegativeTrend

Quoting Linko_16: Is this the username hack or do I need to edit my password?

I guess I will anyway. :/

Hack.