The only pathetic Zelda games

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

I know this is probably a worthless thread, but my friends and I were talking. One of my friends asked: Has there been ANY bad Zelda games. After a little research, I have found the only bad Zelda games.
1. Link: Faces of Evil (Philips CD-i, 1993)
2. Zelda's Adventure (Philips CD-i, 1995)
3. Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon (Philips CD-i, 1993)

Any I missed?

Posted by Linko_16

That pretty much covers it.

Posted by Dexter

You forgot the one where you get all those cosplay masks.

Quoting Dexter: You forgot the one where you get all those cosplay masks.

Majora's Mask?

Posted by Last Fog

No sh1t?

Posted by Dexter

That's the one.

I've never played the ones you mentioned.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

MM pathetic? Hardly.

Quoting Dexter: That's the one.

I've never played the ones you mentioned.

MM is great.

The ones I mentioned are ones you should NEVER EVER play. I played it at my friends house. I'll have bad dreams for months.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting The_Essence_Vortex: MM is great.

The ones I mentioned are ones you should NEVER EVER play. I played it at my friends house. I'll have bad dreams for months.

Your friend has a CD-i? Sweet!

Posted by Pit

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: MM pathetic? Hardly.

Agreed. Sure Dex, it didn't have a captivating story like Ocarina of Time (which btw seemed like a mojore rehash of LttP story even though it wasn't) but it was, gameplay wise and dungeon wise, possibly the best Zelda game to date. Better than Windwaker I must say. Dungeons were great, fun sidequests, and lengthy.

Posted by inequity

In my opinion, I didnt enjoy the oracle series for the gameboy color. Nothing about that made me want to keep playing.

Posted by Megatron

Majora's Mask is the best Zelda ever.

And yes, all of the CD-i ones were pathetic. Actually, they were beyond that.

Quoting Megatron: Majora's Mask is the best Zelda ever.

And yes, all of the CD-i ones were pathetic. Actually, they were beyond that.

I agree and disagree on the MM thing. Some parts of MM I REALLY didn't like (mainly the time limit thing, even with the backwards Song of Time it was a pain), but there were some parts I REALLY liked. I like LTTP and OoT better.

Yes, they were. Some of friends think the CD-i ones were okay. Apparently, some of my friends are morons.

Posted by Map42892

my cousin Charlie has a CD-i, and i LOVE playing the zelda games, mainly cause i pee my pants watching how stupid and cheesy it is.

Posted by SonicBlu

I never saw the CD-i Zelda games, but it sounds as if I wouldn't even want to line my birdcage with them.

Majora's Mask has its issues, but all in all a great attempt for a change of pace. :)

Posted by Poco

Zelda's Adventure was decent. The others were edutainment.

Posted by Alaster

majoras mask doesnt suk i like it. its not the best zelda game but it doesnt desere to be called bad

Posted by Alaster

desereve*

Posted by Alaster

and did you put the second zelda in there ? because that one suked

Posted by psp

Majoras Mask doesnt suck, its just hard. And i agree with The_Essence_Vortex, i didnt like the time limit thiong either. the best zelda is OoT

Quoted post: Majoras Mask doesnt suck, its just hard.

Unless you try to find all faries in every temple, it's not that hard.

Posted by Ant

I found them all...I don't remember it being that hard still.

The gameplay was great and fun. The only thing lacking was the story. Although it was somewhat interesting, it made for a very good sidestory to the whole LoZ adventure.

But from what I've heard of the CD-I games...Sounds like fun :)

Posted by Pit

Yeah, I don't even know why people dislike MM so much. If anything, it's the most unique Zelda game there. The dungeons were just great, although 4, they were long, in comparison to those in OoT. The music was great and was just unique. How each character can do their part to help solve a dungeon was amazing.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Bad Zelda games:

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
The Windwaker

And of course the CD-i games.

Posted by brownoystercult

Ocarina of Time was bad? Not at all. That and Majora's Mask were probaly the best Zelda games out there..

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Uchiha Itachi: Ocarina of Time was bad? Not at all. That and Majora's Mask were probaly the best Zelda games out there..

I guess that's the consensus.

But I really didn't like any of the 3-D Zelda games. Zelda games aren't supposed to be 3-D. They're supposed to be all aerial view, like Zelda I, LTTP, LA, OoS, OoA, and probably a few others.

Anyway, it's my belief that they ruined an excellent franchise when they made OoT. LTTP and LA were two of the greatest games ever made.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it"

The Zelda games were already outstanding and freaking great. By changing them, they only made them worse. They weren't "broke". There was no need to "fix" them by changing them.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Fei-on Castor: I guess that's the consensus.

But I really didn't like any of the 3-D Zelda games. Zelda games aren't supposed to be 3-D. They're supposed to be all aerial view, like Zelda I, LTTP, LA, OoS, OoA, and probably a few others.

Anyway, it's my belief that they ruined an excellent franchise when they made OoT. LTTP and LA were two of the greatest games ever made.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it"

The Zelda games were already outstanding and freaking great. By changing them, they only made them worse. They weren't "broke". There was no need to "fix" them by changing them.

Which is why Ocarina of Time is in the top ten best games of all time, got perfect ratings everywhere, and took the Zelda series to a whole new direction by using the same formula but only making it better, right?

That's like saying they ruined Mario because he went 3D and that was, again, another game that got oustanding reviews.

Seriously, the only people who don't like the new Zelda games from what I've seen are guys who haven't even bothered to play it or people who just say "It's meant to be in 2D, so I will dislike this game". Times change, get used to it. Every game has gone a massive change and still remained it's elements. Prince of Persia is one, Mario is another, and Metroid is another. They've all retained the same exact formula. Maybe if you haven't judged it from the beginning and mentally set yourself to dislike it, maybe you'd enjoy.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I was more excited than anyone to hear that OOT was coming out, and that it would be in 3-D. I couldn't wait because I loved the old Zelda games so much, and I thought "wow, a Zelda game in 3-D!!! This will be awesome"

That's what I thought till I played it.

The game couldn't hold my attention. It was just no fun at all for me personally.

Final Fantasy X got good reviews, and everyone likes it, but I think it's a disgrace to the series.

Quoted post: The game couldn't hold my attention. It was just no fun at all for me personally.

You just have poor taste in games :(

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Vampiro: You just have poor taste in games :(

Taste can't be disputed. If nothing else was relative, taste would be. I don't have poor taste. I just don't care for that particular game, and I don't know why. I wish I loved it so I could talk about it with everyone. I loved Mario 64, Final Fantasy 7, and Megaman 8, so I don't mind when series go a different way. In my opinion, they didn't make the transition well.

As well, I guess that I was wrong about Zelda games not supposed to be 3-D and all that. I guess they could make a good 3-D Zelda game, but I don't feel that they have yet.

Ocarina wasn't awful. But "good" certainly wouldn't describe the game.

I've played worse...

Quoted post: In my opinion, they didn't make the transition well.

Quoted post: But "good" certainly wouldn't describe the game.

Quoted post: I guess they could make a good 3-D Zelda game, but I don't feel that they have yet.

Your opinion on video games is now void.

Seriously though, I can usually understand where someone is coming from, but in this case, I can't. It's the same exact series, same set up, same everything really, jus tin 3-D and more depth to it. That's all. To say OoT is bad is to say the rest are since they are all basically the same.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Vampiro: Your opinion on video games is now void.
What? Because I don't like a game that people generally like? I've met a lot of people who don't like OoT, and love the old ones.

[quote]
Seriously though, I can usually understand where someone is coming from, but in this case, I can't. It's the same exact series, same set up, same everything really, jus tin 3-D and more depth to it. That's all. To say OoT is bad is to say the rest are since they are all basically the same.

They are not at all the same. It's a game with swords, and items that you equip in a sub-menu. Other than that, I really don't see the connection (outside of names and places).

I absolutely loved Zelda, LA, LTTP, and the oracles games were okay, but I never could enjoy OoT, despite how much I wanted to. I played it and played it, but it never hooked me like the other games did. I couldn't tell you why.

Posted by Chronic

Quoting Fei-on Castor: But I really didn't like any of the 3-D Zelda games. Zelda games aren't supposed to be 3-D. They're supposed to be all aerial view, like Zelda I, LTTP, LA, OoS, OoA, and probably a few others.

So your saying Zelda:TP is gunna suck?

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Chronic: So your saying Zelda:TP is gunna suck?

[quote=Fei-on Castor]As well, I guess that I was wrong about Zelda games not supposed to be 3-D and all that. I guess they could make a good 3-D Zelda game, but I don't feel that they have yet.

Nope, that's not what I'm saying.

Posted by Chronic

Opps I think I should have read ahead befor I posted.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Fei-on Castor:

They are not at all the same. It's a game with swords, and items that you equip in a sub-menu. Other than that, I really don't see the connection (outside of names and places).

Actually, they are. It's the same exact formula seen in any other Zelda game. You basically start off as a hero, wield a sword and save Zelda. You travel through a vast overworld solving puzzles, getting new items, and using those items to beat the bosses and to solve puzzles. There's ton of sidequests which reward you in getting heart pieces or rupees or other items. Only difference that I see from OoT or any new Zelda game is the means of transportation. Rather than him traveling on foot, he now has a horse (OoT, TP, and MM) or a boat (WW).

Like I said previously, although you said you looked forward to this game, the only people that I ever hear about disliking the new games are NES enthusiasts. They're used to the games in only being 2D and when a series goes through a major change, the dislike it. In this case, the major change was it being 3D. Other than that, all in all, it's still a Zelda game. Same story to be expected, dungeons, overworld, music, everything is Zelda in a 3d environment.

Quoted post: I loved Mario 64, Final Fantasy 7, and Megaman 8, so I don't mind when series go a different way

Okay, not going to say anything on Mario 64, since you enjoyed it, but on FF7 and Megaman 8 you can't really compare those transitions to the one like Zelda. FF7 featuered many elements found in past RPG's like over the top view. It wasn't a major change except it was the "deepest RPG" as some may call it in terms of the story. It still used the same turn based styled battle engine seen in previous Square games, same in dungeons. Graphically, it was advanced for it's time, but the transition isn't as major as some games like 2D Mario to Mario 64 or 2D Metroid to Metroid Prime. And with Megaman 8, it's just a 2D Megaman game, like the last ones, with prettier graphics. Just as linear and hard as the others and featured some cool new things, but nothing "unheard of". A better comparison to the megaman series would be 2D Megaman to the Legend series.

Posted by Madame Flurrie

I'm one of the few who loves Zelda 2, even though it is unbelievably hard. The orignal Zelda, however, I've never been able to get into. Not saying it's bad, I simply cannot pass even the first dungeon. :(

The CD-I games... well, I believe there's a reason why few people have heard of them, and even less have actually played them. ;) Though it is a shame that the few adventures that Zelda herself had were so lackluster.

Posted by Pit

I enjoyed Zelda II. Hell, me and Vampiro talk on AIM how Nintendo should create a new game that follows it's footsteps. I want another Zelda like that... which 3rd party support from Konami.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I own and have finished all 3 of them. They're not unplayable, as most people would have you believe. They're just really, really bad. If the CD-i had had a useable controller, Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil might have been almost enjoyable. Zelda's Adventure had its own brand of hit detection and control problems, though.

Posted by speedemon35

Quoting Fei-on Castor: Bad Zelda games:

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
The Windwaker

And of course the CD-i games.

Sorry but OOT, MM and WW are some of the best games ever. Sure they're different but they are still amazing. OOT is still the most amazing game they ever made in terms of playing and adventure.

Posted by ShadowMario

If i may suggest somtin! I gave LTTP 10 out of 5

Posted by ShadowMario

I loved this game.Best game ever! Too bad that my super nintendo broke

Posted by ShadowMario

Posted by FerreTrip

I saw the intros to all three CD-i games. Just like the cartoon I heard about, the fact they made Link a hatable character was enough to make me puke. Ugh. Also, they looked like they SUCKED MONKEY, anyway.

The Oracle games are prolly two of the best handheld Zelda games on the market. I beat them both. It was awesome. And I loved the fact that the rooms aren't contained in one simple screen: it was expanded, which made life harder and easier at the same time. It rocked.

MM. Kicks. ***. End. Of. Discussion.

Posted by verystrait42

u wouldnt want to play the cd-i zelda games! they are worth $80-100 each!!!