Death of Pokemon

Posted by Death-By-Minnow

This actualy isn't an anti-Pokemon thread... I just noticed they seem to be declining in popularity even among kids. As odd as this may sound, I still turn to the little (and big) creatures of destruction when I'm bored enough. I never did buy the new games... or even the ones before those, but I do play Gold/Silver occasionaly. I'd like to know if there's anyone else around my age or older willing to swallow their pride and admit they play too.

I would ask for people who believe Pokemon is gay to refrain from saying so in here, I'm assuming most of you do anyway.

EDIT: sorry about putting it in the wrong place, I kinda missed this one.

Posted by Last Fog

It's about time. Pokemon outlived most other fads. I never did like the series. I was in 4th grade I believe (wow, it's been that long?) when the hype started, and everyone in my school was sucked in. I couldn't care less. Same thing with power rangers. I hated that crap.

EDIT: this should be in the regular pokemon board, not battle. please move it, someone.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I don't know... I think with the onslaught of the DS, Pearl and Diamond will really give a kick-start to the franchise again, because so many new gamers are becoming attracted to the wonderful little machine... and with a touch-screen interface, it's going to be more pick-up-and-play than ever.

I wonder if maybe I should swallow my pride in the real world and just try buying one of 'em... Man that'd be so embarrasing though, the general opinion seems to be that playing Pokemon at my age is gay. I'd have to make it look like I was buying someone a present... How pathetic eh?

Posted by sabre

www.amazon.com

Works wonders for buying stuff without anyone noticing. The new games would be worth checking out, imo. Though, I may be biased seeing as they were the only ones I went into without doing extensive research on first, meaning that they came as far more of a surprise and an adventure.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I wonder if maybe I should swallow my pride in the real world and just try buying one of 'em... Man that'd be so embarrasing though, the general opinion seems to be that playing Pokemon at my age is gay. I'd have to make it look like I was buying someone a present... How pathetic eh?

I'm nineteen and I look like the last person to evey buy a Pok

Posted by sabre

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: They are actually pretty good RPGs, and definitely worth the minimal humiliation you may go through.

Agreed. Though trainer battles are often easy, (if pokemon centres are distant, though, like in the case of caves, or against gym leaders they can be quite challenging. I've whited out more than once, let's just say) it's nice and open-ended, and adding that to the huge catch everything side quest means that it's replayable as hell.

Posted by booyah719

I actually hated pokemon when I first saw it, then got involved when I saw how cool the cards and most of the pokemon looked. I've bought up to Gold/Silver, and I guess a little more with Pokemon Stadium 2, although that added a lot of flexibility to it.

If pearl/diamond, (is it?) on the DS looks good, I would certainly consider buying it (without a second thought as to what anyone thinks, sort of like buying condoms). It's a RPG base, although Red/Blue will probably be the best for being the games to revolutionize the whole series.

Well... yeah I guess you're right. I just get easily humiliated over stupid things in public. I think I'll get one sometime soon then.

Posted by VicE

Why should anyone get embarassed over buying a game? If someone's willing to judge you based on what video games you play then they're the stupid ones, not you.

As for the original topic, while I don't think the series is ever going to regain the popularity it once had, and all the spinoffs and merchandise will eventually fade away, the games themselves aren't going anywhere for a long time. The new games still sell like crazy, and I'm sure Pearl and Diamond will give the series a nice little boost in popularity as well.

Personally I like Pokemon better as being just a game series - none of those toys or promotional tie ins and things like that. Too many people see those things and pass the whole franchise off as another lame kiddy fad, when it's actually an excellent game series in its own right.

And for the record, I'm 21, still a fan of the games (none of the other stuff though), and don't give two craps about what anyone else thinks of me for that. So THERE. :P

You're very much right, I'm just a wierdo who gets embarrassed easily. No prob though, I'm gonna get one soon, as soon as I get some money.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

[QUOTE=booyah719]I would certainly consider buying Pok

Posted by The Blaziken Master

Pok

Posted by Xtacy

I first played Pokemon when I was 19 and since then I've been hooked. I'm ashamed to admit that sometimes I would lie to my college friends so I could go home and play it......I didn't tell anybody of course, but I still find it fun to play Fire Red, even at age 24......still don't tell anybody...and also Ruby and Sapphire sucked heavily

Posted by dark_zero

pokemon rules most of the kids at my school hate pokemon and I don't
give a rat's **** what anyone says

Posted by Shade

The thing is, many people who find pokemon to kiddy, are the people who automatically think of Pikachu when pokemon comes up. The thing is, they're actually very good games. And I feel no humiliation walking into EBX and asking for Pokemon Ruby. Though I do hate the anime and card game.

Posted by dark_zero

I'm with you

Posted by giminius

It's about time pokemon got some respect for depth. Perhaps it's the anime that ruins the game's perception.

Posted by Bendehur2008

that may be it just like dule monster or the card game it getting old to even the the new show xd is geting old just like pokemon.

Posted by D.J Cat

I just recently got to borrow Ruby of my friend, and its one of the best things gaming wise I've done in ages probably since deciding to play SSBM more advanced.

Anyway I liked the cartoon back in grade 6, and was interested in the games but never had them. I got to borrow Pokemon Stadium on N64 a bit and found that quite fun.

And now years later, the cartoon is on again, a few seasons advanced and its the reason I'm getting up in the icy cold weather early (7ish ) in the morning.
And the game is rediculously good, as I always imagined and knew it would be. Superb.

Most people I kow don't like it or at the least will pretend not to like it.
I don't care for such shennanigans, I know I like it and if anyone has a problem with it they should tell me. Cause what are they going to do about it?
Pathetic people.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I played Red and Blue. That was it for me. They all seem the same now anyway.

Posted by Klarth

Liked Red/Blue, loved Gold/Silver, disliked Ruby/Sapphire, haven't played Fire Red/Leaf Green, looking forward to Diamond/Pearl.

Posted by jake from da vgchat

ur thread title has nothing 2 do with wot any1 is on about!!:p

Posted by muffla

I want to like the game, because i always have i dnt care what other people think. but about half way thru pearl i got bored and moved on. now im playing halo 3 , but want to get ether battle revolution for the wii (or maybe jsut rent it?) or orange box

Posted by Heatblast

I am 19 years old, have played Pokemon since it first came out, and plan to keep playing it for as long as it continues to be the BEST video games series ever. While the video games are certainly the best aspect of Pokemon, I very much enjoy the TV show as well. It is neat to actually see the often one dimensional Pokemon on the DS in all their glory on the show. Plus, the battles rock!

People can call it a kids game. I really don't care. All I know is that I enjoy it very much and that is good enough for me. Diamond and Pearl brought so much to the francise, especially online trading and battling. Pokemon may never attain its original glory, but neither will many other enduring video game titles. For example, Mario will never be as popular as is was when it first came out, and yet, the Mario games just still keep on coming! Just because Pokemon isn't as popular as it once was doesn't mean that it is dead by any means. I believe sales records prove that.

Posted by CrystalPain

Only played Reb, Blue and Yellow after that i stoped my pokemon legacy lol

Posted by Echo

I'm 19 now, and I got Blue version on release. I never got G/S/C, but I got Ruby soon after release. Still haven't gotten Diamond or Pearl, but I probably will eventually.

I still love Pokemon. I just beat the Elite 4 again in Red version (on an emulator, since my copy is at my parent's house), which I've been playing lately. I'm probably gonna go back and get everything I can (without trading of course, since I'm emulating), since I still have yet to get a full Pokedex (just don't usually have the dedication).

The great thing about the video games is that they are very accessible. I played for years before I ever heard of EVs or really cared too much about stats, and I just played with Pokemon that I thought were cool. The type system is easy to pick up and understand for even the youngest of players, but advanced players can still get their more "hardcore" fill with EV training, breeding, and the thought behind building a great team with great movesets. It truly has something for every RPG gamer of any age or commitment level.

Posted by ZOSO

sure the cartoon sucks and all, but the games really arent bad RPG's. they just went WAY to overboard with all the different versions. but i always play blue.

Posted by scylla

I agree the cartoons do suck, but then again nintendo has made at least what... 500+ pokemon cartoons? It still seems to be a regular show on the cartoon network. As for the games, it's all the same thing.... catch em all, the only difference is different pokemon each time around but basically the same story plot every time. Either way I think that the pokemon franchise won't die until the cartoons do, which will probably be another 10-20 years down the road. And right now, I'm in the middle of beating Pokemon Emerald.

Posted by CheeseCakeRocks1696

Please don't kill me, but I am quite a fan of the anime AND the games, but I have to admit, the cards suck.
And I have a feeling Pokemon is going to last a LOONG time - say, 5 or 10 more years? But, thinking about it, Mario's been around for nearly 30 years now, and Pokemon is just under Mario in the popularity charts, and Pokemon's nearly 20 years old, so I don't think we'll be seeing Pokemon go down for quite a while.

Posted by David M. Awesome

Pokemon rocks your face.

Posted by Breakman

pokemon ain't dying anytime soon

though it's not in its prime at the moment, and may never be the utter craze it once was, it STILL has an ongoing animated series, trading card game and more merchandise than probably every other nintendo property combined

very few Nintendo franchises are in their prime right now anywya, but aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and keep supplying us with quality games--even Kid Icarus may be making a comeback soon, and that stuff was COMPLETELY DEAD FOR 20 YEARS. I don't think Nintendo likes giving up on properties that *MIGHT* have *SOME* slight profit, and Pokemon is, I'd say, easily their most profitable franchise of all right now.

Come on, Diamond/Pearl 3rd-Game-Like-Yellow-Crystal-And-Emerald, and *CROSSES FINGERS FOR GOLD/SILVER REMAKE SINCE THEY WERE THE BEST*.

I'm still waiting on a *true* console, 3D Pokemon game, though. Just like the Gameboy ones, but, you know, on a console,and in 3D. I guess it sort of defeats the point that Pokemon's supposed to be so portable and interactive, but with wifi and the Wii's miniature stature and easy portability, they might as well try it.

Posted by jake from da vgchat

Quoting jake from da vgchat: ur thread title has nothing 2 do with wot any1 is on about!!:p

when the hell did i post this??

Posted by #061402

Quoting jake from da vgchat: when the hell did i post this??

10-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Posted by pokedude222

Pokemon is very good and it will be popular until there is a game better than pokemon. I suggest that the pokemon company should make a game where you can move pokemon as characters and use their moves. NOT LIKE MYSTERY DUNGEON!

Posted by final kaoss

They already have for nearly a dozen or more handheld pokemon games.

Posted by mz.jeanpiere

Quoting :

all i got is pokemon pearl and i am about to get the new pokemon game that is comein put and i am new to this place s help me out on here what do i talk about on here?

Posted by pokedude222

well i am getting pokemon platinum too. and this website and thread is "why pokemon sucks" but it is not really that. what u do here is chat and.... well that's pretty much all u do here!

Posted by riolumaster

Works wonders for buying stuff without anyone noticing. The new games would be worth checking out, imo. Though, I may be biased seeing as they were the only ones I went into without doing extensive research on first, meaning that they came as far more of a surprise and an adventure.[/font][/color]

agree