Bands You're Looking Into

Posted by Shin-Ra

The concept is simple, post the bands you are currently interested in hearing, don't have enough material by, just don't know where to start, or anything similar. Some members may have very well heard the said bands, so they could easily offer up some advice. This can also be used as a "wishlist" thread, if you so wish.

Graveland. I heard a 17 minute behemoth of a song once, and loved every bit of it. Everything about it screamed epic and the ending was a huge kick in the ass, meeting every expectation I had for this band. I'd like to hear more, particularly their early material such as Celtic Winter.

Xasthur. This is one of the bands I'm having difficulty getting into. The production isn't the ear splitting Nattens Madrigal (Ulver) raw, but rather a very distant sound reminiscent of the early Burzum demos. Speaking of which, this band is very similar to Burzum, but without that ambient element and more of an epic approach to their music. The vocals still hold somewhat true to what Varg had to offer. I've gotten ahold of A Gate Through Bloodstained Mirrors, Telepathic With The Deceased, and To Violate the Oblivious. I need to give all this a few spins, I suppose, to find some standout tracks to ease myself in with.

Behemoth. Not their Death Metal material, I have all that (except Satanica) and it's good and all, but oh my is their older stuff great. I listened to Storming Near the Baltic and was simply blown away. There's some great acoustic integration into the harder parts, which has a nice contrast, making each sound more effective. I'm interested in this older material from And the Forests Dream Eternally to Grom.

Nokturnal Mortum. Words cannot express how breath-takingly gorgeous and unique Goat Horns was. The ambient and Ukranian folk elements fit in amazingly well, and the opening track acting as a pre-summary of the whole album was a very nice touch, and unique to this genre to say the least. I hear NeChrist is supposed to be quite good, as well as their other material, and I'm most certainly interested in hearing it.

Also, any bands that draw inspiration from nature and use this in their music. Whether it's lyrical, musical, or anything close to this. Tiamat's Wildhoney, Agalloch, Nest, Opera IX's early material, and others are perfect examples. I'm not too interested in progish wankering when it comes to this sort of music, so keep those recommendations to a minimum on this particular entry. The "Pagan Black Metal" type music sounds promising, Behemoth was a huge influence on this and a Blutaar cd I got ahold of was decent.

Posted by Klarth

Raintime, Strapping Young Lad, Santana, early Arcturus, Spock's Beard and I'm still trying to find a copy of that Agalloch/Nest split.

Just more of the usual.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I was looking into Symphony X, but after getting The Divine Wings of Tragedy, I have to say that I no longer have any intrest in them; the CD was extremely lukewarm. I was expecting a lot more.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Looking into a jam band I found completely by accident called New Monsoon. They're pretty ****ed good. Got a live concert by them thinking I was downloading String Cheese Incident. :)

Posted by Shin-Ra

Richaod, make your post here again so I can recommend specific tracks/albums, since I knew most of the bands mentioned. I was going to get around to it, but we got hacked or whatever. :mad:

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin-Ra: Richaod, make your post here again so I can recommend specific tracks/albums, since I knew most of the bands mentioned. I was going to get around to it, but we got hacked or whatever. :mad:

Whee. *looks through iTunes/shared folder*

Already heard and interested in: Agalloch, Akira Yamaoka (yes I did download some Silent Hill stuff), Anathema (no recommendations needed), Bathory (Hammerheart and the song Vinterblot), Cacophony, Candlemass, Cathedral, Dark Tranquillity, Emperor, Epica, Finntroll, Iced Earth, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Joe Satriani, Katatonia (only Viva Emptiness so far), Kyuss, Mercyful Fate, Mortiis, Orphaned Land, Queensryche, Satyricon, Sinergy, Venom, Vintersorg, Voivod, Wintersun

I think you'd know of a few. :)

Haven't listened to yet but interested: Amorphis, Arcturus, Burzum, Ensiferum, Fates Warning, Grip Inc., Lumsk, Marillion, Primus, Swans, Testament, Type O Negative, Yes

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Richaod: Epica

hmmm. I heard they have a new CD. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Would anyone recommend it over their last one?

I'm still interested in adding trance and techno bands into my musical list. The small number of artist I have heard hasn't been enough to peak my interest, so I believe I have been procrastinating the search. Or maybe my search for an interesting message and concept overpowers it. It is difficult to get certain elements of lyrical content from techno music.

Most of the material I am currently looking into is material I possess and simply haven't had time to fully indulge myself in. I've ordered more CDs this summer than any other time in my life. So much beautiful, interesting music and not enough time to study them. I'd like to really listen to Leaves' Eyes more, among many others. I plan on catching myself up when I take my vacation after summer term ends. Driving time offers up musical opportunities. You wouldn't believe the number of CDs I have gotten this summer that I have not listened to yet.

Posted by ZEN

I'm looking into 'Apocalyptica' right now. I read some of the comments posted about them earlier and picked up their self-titled album. It getting plenty of play time too (loving the distorted cello sound). I haven't heard any of their previous material though (or any of the Metallica covers) so there's work to do.

Quoting Dexter: I'm still interested in adding trance and techno bands into my musical list.

Same here. I'm trying to find Techno acts that have a "progressive" nature to them. Not sure if that genre even exists.
(If not, I'm going to invent it.)
There is one group from the mid 90's called Messiah that I really enjoy. I would like to find more stuff with that kind of sound.

Techno has never really been a strong point for good "lyrical content" unfortunately, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be. I just have yet to discover it.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Quoting ZEN: I'm trying to find Techno acts that have a "progressive" nature to them.

Tangerine Dream, Ashra, and Manuel G

Posted by Shin-Ra

Alright, here we go. I don't know how much you've heard of each band, so uh disregard what you've already heard:

Agalloch - Their absolute best song, in my opinion, is "In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion". In fact, all of The Mantle is excellent stuff, definitely worth checking out (it's one of my favorites, actually). This band introduced me to Pantheism, not necessarily through "shaping my mind" but to the term itself. All of the music on this cd is very nature oriented, and the song mentioned earlier is a near 15 minute epic full of powerful transitions and overall fabulous musicianship. If you like this album, look into Ulver's Bergtatt. It reminds me of Agalloch with Opeth leads.

Akira Yamaoka - The Silent Hill 4 soundtrack is the best in my opinion. The songs are a lot longer and the vocals are a lot better on this release. The lyrics are still quite lacking, which is ok since most songs are instrumental anyway.

Bathory - Black Metal material: "Call from the Grave", "Massacre" (*** yes), "A Fine Day to Die"; Viking: "Twilight of the ***s", "Hammerheart" (the song), "Ring of Gold". I can't narrow down specific albums, as they're all great *ignores thrash era*

Candlemass - I only have Nightfall. Check out "Mourners Lament" if you haven't done so yet, great song. I love this old Doom Metal, it reminds me of early Bathory's material for the aura it creates. Gloomy, almost comic book horror feeling, I suppose.

Cathedral - I picked up The Carnival Bizarre for something like $2.00 at a used cd place. I didn't care for it, honestly. Netman seemed to like it though.

Emperor - Oh lord, In the Nightside Eclipse is the best thing this band ever, ever made. The rest of their material after this gets progressively worse, all leading to the big shitpile that is Peccatum, who reminds me of Prometheus era Emperor with a horrible female singer. Check out ItNE though, that and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk are both good keyboard laden BM pieces.

Finntroll - I like Visor Om Slutet the most because I'm incredibly lame. It reminds me of the local cajun/country blend of music that's ever so present around here, so I love it. The album's completely acoustic, really fun with the polka music, has troll sounds (!), and follows the daily life of... a... troll. Why on earth do I listen to the band?

Iced Earth - Never cared for the group too much. I like "A Question of Heaven" from Dark Saga the most. Even though that whole album is pretty silly and forced, I still enjoy it. Night of the Stormrider was another good release by the band, but I haven't ventured too far from this other than two of their other albums that I hate with a passion (Something Wicked This Way Comes and the Glorious Burden were pretty awful, imo)

Katatonia - I love Saw You Drown and Brave Murder Day. The first for taking a less is more philosophy into their music and the latter for the same reason as well as dragging Mikael Akerfeldt in to do his best vocal work in his career. "Brave", "Dispossession", "Day", "Saw You Drown", "Nightmares by the Sea", an especially "Without ***" are my favorites by the group (excluding Viva Emptiness which is an excellent release, but you've already heard it). Great band.

Mortiis - I really, really want to hear their early ambient material, but so far I've only gone back to The Smell of Rain which is a pretty good release considering the guy's background. Compare it to bands such as NIN, would prove Mortiis to be craptastic imo. "Parasite ***", "Way too Wicked", "Everyone Leaves", "Monolith", and "Spirit In A Vacuum" (stupid name, cool song).

Satyricon - Stay away from Volcano. Download "Black Lava" (hi vamp, I finally listened to it and liked it!) and pretend you have the whole album, it'll make you happier (except substitute "you" for "me" and I wouldn't regret buying this cd). Check out The Shadowthrone and Dark Medieval Times if you like raw, folk influenced Black Metal at its finest.

Vintersorg - I personally love Odemarkens Son. It's a primarily acoustic, folk inspired album in the vein of Ulver's first two releases, but not most certainly not a clone. I recommend "Svaltvinter" and "Trollbunden" especially.

Amorphis - I've had Tales From the Thousand Lakes for the longest time, but haven't listened to it much for some reason. I remember liking it on my first listen, too. This is all I've heard from the group, but it's decent. It's very deathy in vocals but melodic in instrumentation, so you might like it.

Arcturus - I dislike their new material, immensely. Good news though, I seem to be the only one who does, so go for it. If you ask me, I think the best thing they did was that Aspera Hiems Symphonia/Constellation/My Angel combination rerelease.

Burzum - Haha. I want to hear your reaction after listening to Burzum, as that's always wonderfully fun. Try "Spell of Destruction", "Det Som en Gang Var" and "Tomhet" first, then tell us how you liked it.

Lumsk - Try out the songs "Dunker" and "Langt Nord I Trolleboten". I didn't care for their newest release too much, so if you're looking for albums I'd recommend Aasmund Fregdegjaevar.

Type O Negative - October Rust is my favorite, followed closely by Bloody Kisses. "Green Man" is a really cool, natural song; "My Girlfriends Girlfriend" is just funny; "Christian Woman" and "Bloody in Fire" are both cool songs (there's a remix of "Blood and Fire" and Napalm Death's "Twist the Knife (slowly)" on the Mortal Kombat soundtrack actually. *sigh* My first exposure to this stuff).

In conclusion, TL;DR

Posted by thelaststand

black dahlia murder, into the moat, through the eyes of the dead/knife trade, i just got their new cd's and they're all awesome if your into metal/hardcore stuff check them out

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting thelaststand: black dahlia murder

I saw a horrible music video by those guys, consisting of everything from idiotic headbanging to playing their instruments in a graveyard. Terrible stuff. BUT I saw them in concert with Behemoth, King Diamond, and Nile; and they had a fanastic show! They were totally different live than they were in the video, as they actually looked sinister and played very, very well (as opposed to what I thought of the video/song). I've been meaning to check out more music by these guys, and I'm sure I will oneday, but I think it'll be a download.

Posted by Apocalypse

Future Leaders of the World. They sang that song "Let Me Out" that was big a few months ago. I bought their CD and I really liked it. I got a few demos that were just sick.

Posted by Klarth

Looking into Empyrium, Camel, Yes and Machinae Supremacy right about now.

Posted by Feverus

Well, im going to a concert that has All That Remains, 3 Inches of Blood, 6 Feet Under, and another group that i forget...

Posted by Porcupine

Amazing.

Right now I'm looking into Catch 22, Streetlight Manifesto and Queensr

Posted by MetalVox~55

Nevermore and Fear Factory. Thank you, Gigantour![spoiler]Thanks Garret for the Nevermore cd I <3 it[/spoiler]

Posted by NegativeTrend

Quoting Klarth: Looking into Empyrium, Camel, Yes and Machinae Supremacy right about now.

If you ever want to hear any Yes or Camel hit me up on AIM. I have all of the classic Yes albums with all bonus tracks and every Camel album except thier newest and one of thier live records.

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Has anyone heard of the band Bayside? I've only heard one song by them but they have two cds. So do they have a large fan base or something and no one talks about them or something?

Posted by The Punisher

Im listing to a lot of Wintersun, Black Dahlia Murder, Vintersorg, and Pig Destroyer.

Posted by Klarth

Dude, that's great. Wintersun are totally great and all. And if you like them you'll like Ensiferum a lot!

Posted by The Punisher

Ok, thanks for the rep dude, and I will check them out. Beyond the Dark Sun has to be one of the greatest songs ive listend to in a long time. Wintersun do rock it hardcore like cobain and a shotgun.

Posted by Azusa

Dream Theater. A lot of people I know swear by them, but I haven't really heard anything of theirs, apart from "The Dance of Eternity". And the only reason I've heard that song is because it was in the soundtrack of a Dragonball Z movie I used to watch when I was twelve. I'm not sure if that makes them more or less of a credible band, but I still would like to hear something from them, for curiosity's sake.

Posted by The Punisher

Pirate Music, make LARS MAD lol. Thats how I find a lot of music, if i like the artist i buy the cd.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I'm currently interested in:

Primordial - Holy hell. I command all fans of blackened Doom to check out The Gathering Wilderness right away. The title track is soooo damn good too (the lyrics are amazing). I'm still getting into the whole album.

Neofolk in general - I'm basically reading Agalloch interviews and downloading what either of the John's recommend. Darkwood's a great one.

Quoting The Punisher: Ok, thanks for the rep dude, and I will check them out. Beyond the Dark Sun has to be one of the greatest songs ive listend to in a long time. Wintersun do rock it hardcore like cobain and a shotgun.

Get with me on AIM or Soulseek and I'll hook you up with some Ensiferum or Folk, Viking, whatever stuff.

I like a quote I saw once. It was something to the effect of "Kurt Cobain is my hero because he killed Kurt Cobain". It made me smile.

Posted by Richaod

In particular, DragonForce, Iced Earth, Opeth, Borknagar, Dark Tranquillity and Arcturus.

Posted by The Punisher

Procupine Tree are a good band to check out as well as Circle of Dead Children if your into Grindcore.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Meshuggah & Mercenary.

I figured i'd give Mesh a chance, and Merc was forced upon me.

Posted by The Punisher

Meshuggah arent one of my personal favorites. OOOh Check out Six Feet Under brutal death metal.

Posted by Caryatid

Opeth and Iced Earth.

Posted by Axis

I just went out and bought my first In Flames album tonight "Soundtrack To Your Escape". It was the only one they had and didn't want to go out empty handed so I went ahead and bought it. Another band that my friend is trying to get me into is Iced Earth. I saw a bunch of their cd's for sale and almost picked one up. So far I'm enjoying Soundtrack To Your Escape. I'll definitely start collecting cds from them.

Posted by Azusa

I was trying to find some music from a band called "Analog Brain" a little earlier. But they are so obscure that apparently even Limewire hasn't heard of them. :/

By the way, thank you for the Dream Theater, Sabredog. Much appreciated. :*

Posted by The Punisher

Check out My Space, people who dont even have bands have band pages their. So try and look for Analog Brain on there.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Axis: I just went out and bought my first In Flames album tonight "Soundtrack To Your Escape".

...sigh.

The Jester Race is their most popular. Personally, I find it (apart from Moonshield) sort of weird and inconsistent; I prefer Whoracle and Colony. Their most recent two albums are... comparatively weak.

Just trying to help/educate about popular opinion.

Posted by The Punisher

Ive read, never actualy listend to the album, but read that it wasnt there best. So I havent been motivated to buy it, if I do buy one of their albums it will be Moonsheild, becuase ive read a lot of good stuff on it.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting The Punisher: Ive read, never actualy listend to the album, but read that it wasnt there best. So I havent been motivated to buy it, if I do buy one of their albums it will be The Jester's Race, becuase ive read a lot of good stuff on it.

fixed

Posted by The Punisher

lol. So I take it thats their best album. Ill probaly buy it sometime tonight or tommrow. Depends on if my lazyness subsides.

Posted by MetalVox~55

This thread needs more Evergrey.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I've heard a couple songs by Sonata Arctica that I enjoyed, and I've been meaning to get more, just haven't gotten around to it.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting MetalVox~55: This thread needs more Evergrey.

I'm interested, but I don't really know much about them.

that's your cue.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Richaod: ...sigh.

The Jester Race is their most popular. Personally, I find it (apart from Moonshield) sort of weird and inconsistent; I prefer Whoracle and Colony. Their most recent two albums are... comparatively weak.

Just trying to help/educate about popular opinion.

Alright, thanks. I've been having a hard time finding their albums. Like I've said I've only been finding Colony and Soundtrack To Your Escape. When I go to Best Buy Wednesday I'll be sure to get Whoracle/The Jester Race....if they have it.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Dragonforce and Opeth, awesome instruments bot not digging the vocals for either of them.

Posted by Subtle Minority

Most definately Spoken, or From First To Last. But .. Gatsby's American Dream is great. Although these are great bands, I still think that the band Vampire Slayer was speaking of, Bayside, is one super great band. It's so hard for me to stay with one band, seeing as how there is so many awesome bands that have even yet to be discovered. The more, the better.

Posted by The Punisher

Unforuntatly I am not a big fan of Emo music. Never liked it, and I never plan on liking it. But you should check out Procupine Tree, there not emo but there awsome. lol.

Posted by Klarth

Porcupine Tree are awesomely awesome. I'm considering ordering Paatos' "Kallocain" album merely because it has Steve Wilson on vocals, but I should probably check out more PT first.

And, uh, I recommend Office of Strategic Influence to The Punisher as they sound a lot like Porcupine Tree!

Posted by The Punisher

Sounds cool. Ill definatly check them out.