Something America needs to do.

Posted by Fate

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/04/news_6130334.html]China to ban minors from violent games[/url]

If America did this, it would be beneficial to gamers everywhere that play online. People like Mrs. Clinton would finally shut up about teenage violence related to video games and older gamers can game in peace-- without annoying kids.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Eh, it's a step in the right direction. It's not going to garuntee anything of course. But definitely something America should think about.

Posted by Fate

Any help to get the media out of video games is good.

Quoted post: Any help to get the media out of video games is good.

Truth. Though, I have a feeling American parents are going to still keep it up, They're going to be relentless until M-rated games finally stop getting made (or something worse distracts them).

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Fate: Any help to get the media out of video games is good.

Amen, sister, amen.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Personally, I think that anyone citing a video game as a reason for their real-life violence should face the consequences contained within the game they referrence. Say they gun down a school full of people citing grand theft auto as the source of their evil. What happens if you do that in the game? A crapload of cops show up and blast the ever-living **** out of you. Therefore, death by firing squad should be the penalty. If you base your own morality off of a fantasy world, you should be treated as you would in that fantasy world for your transgressions.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Prince Shondranai]Personally, I think that anyone citing a video game as a reason for their real-life violence should face the consequences contained within the game they referrence. Say they gun down a school full of people citing grand theft auto as the source of their evil. What happens if you do that in the game? A crapload of cops show up and blast the ever-living **** out of you. Therefore, death by firing squad should be the penalty. If you base your own morality off of a fantasy world, you should be treated as you would in that fantasy world for your transgressions.

I agree with you 120%. I dont think the game should be blamed for the major stupidity of someone who goes and copies a game (like Grand Theft Auto) and starts gunning down people. By rights its the persons fault for being such an idiot as to killing tons of people. Its common sense for goodness sake. Video games are not to blam, its mainly the parents for allowing their children to play. But its not just children that copy games and kill people, its also imature stupid idots.

I find it quite stupid that people blame video games, when there is violence in movies, music, and other stuff. (But people are still batteling against gangster rap).

There is no right to say that video games caused someone to kill or do something really stupid. By rights it was the person who commited the crime and not the video game he recently played. Its mainly imature people who play video games and copy what they see. That goes for both young and old people. Older people can be quite imature too.

Yeah I think im getting a little off topic.

Anyways back to the point at hand. I dont really mind it that you have to be 18 to play gory games online. (if that ever happens in the US) I have never played my PS2 online yet so I dont really care all to much. But If the fact that you have to put your credit card no or whatever to verify your age? I hate that idea. Im to scared about people who steal others Identities, so I would never play online unless it was a E, or T rated game. But if it keeps kids off of M rated games, then I guess thats good.

But whatever our pathetic president or governments do, I dont really give a ****.

Posted by Necrololicon

Quoting Crazy K: I
Anyways back to the point at hand. I dont really mind it that you have to be 18 to play gory games online. (if that ever happens in the US) I have never played my PS2 online yet so I dont really care all to much. But If the fact that you have to put your credit card no or whatever to verify your age? I hate that idea. Im to scared about people who steal others Identities, so I would never play online unless it was a E, or T rated game. But if it keeps kids off of M rated games, then I guess thats good.

That is already in effect, more or less- MMORPGs have to pretty much be paid with a credit/debit/whatever card. Gaming cards exist but tend to be hard to find.

Identity theft isn't much of a problem at all, unless you're buying from a shady website that isn't using a secure server.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

In all fairness there are alot of exceedingly stupid and obnoctious "adults" playing online, if not more than stupid obnoctious children.

Being 18 or older only proves you've been lucky enough to live for 18 or more years, nothing else. Knowledge and intelligence come with experience, Wisdom is the result of properly combining the two. Any one who believes that age alone intitles a person to respect and makes one mature they are all sadly mistaken.

The real big issue is that people in general are just stupid and obnoctious and to be a decent person requires time and effort, more time and effort than which the vast majority of our wretched species is willing to devote to any one such cause.

So really, stupid people should be banded from playing "highly suggestive or violent games", because their grip on the delicate concept of reality is so slight they were prone to violence or suggestion in the first place by any media, video games, TV, peer or just plain on their own.

I think you missed the point a bit.

Posted by Fate

Yeah, just a little. :|

The point of the article was to prevent children from seeing killing violence, taking the blame away from video games. My view was that the amount of Halo 2 players that are adults are smart enough to know that lagging out and quitting mid-game on Team matches is not cool. It would considerably lessen frustration.

Posted by Random

Quoting Fate: [url=http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/04/news_6130334.html]China to ban minors from violent games[/url]

If America did this, it would be beneficial to gamers everywhere that play online. People like Mrs. Clinton would finally shut up about teenage violence related to video games and older gamers can game in peace-- without annoying kids.

y'know whats really funny is uh.. Mrs Clinton is Hardcore Liberal. And well you'd expect Liberals to be ok with things like "Hot Coffee." And yet she's acting conservatively. Does anyone else see something wrong with this? I think it's just political power she has thats she's abusing so she can have conservative votes too. Honestly..

Posted by Speedfreak

Right, lets prevent videogames from becoming mainstream.

AdTheLad998: got an ants nest?
AdTheLad998: NUKE YOUR FUCKING YARD

Oh, better idea, eliminate the medias ignorance of videogames. It's crazy, but it just might work!

And while we're at it, get the videogame industry to use the same rating system as movies FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

Posted by Fate

Bah, if you want to get technical, I meant negative coverage by the media. :|

Posted by Skitzo Control

Quoting Speedfreak: Right, lets prevent videogames from becoming mainstream.

Oh, better idea, eliminate the medias ignorance of videogames. It's crazy, but it just might work!

And while we're at it, get the videogame industry to use the same rating system as movies FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

Of course Fate meant that videogames shouldn't be in media and stay out of the limelight! What ever else could she mean?!

If minors were not allowed to play certain mature games, I don't think I would mind much. I wouldn't have to log on to play Rainbow Six on Xbox Live and get some screaming kid, or, even worse, the same screaming kid in Halo 2.

Posted by The Dark Harmonixer

I think that is a pretty good idea, anything that means peace of mind for gamers is good, I think it's a pretty good idea.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Fate: Bah, if you want to get technical, I meant negative coverage by the media. :|

I thought about that, really. But the way you phrased it really didn't suggest it to me. Anyway, it was more directed at the people going crazy over your statement. I get ticked off at people cheering the obvious/utterly wrong.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Personally, I think that anyone citing a video game as a reason for their real-life violence should face the consequences contained within the game they referrence. Say they gun down a school full of people citing grand theft auto as the source of their evil. What happens if you do that in the game? A crapload of cops show up and blast the ever-living **** out of you. Therefore, death by firing squad should be the penalty. If you base your own morality off of a fantasy world, you should be treated as you would in that fantasy world for your transgressions.

[COLOR=Yellow]Judge: How does the defendant plea?

Lawyer: Not guilty your honor. You see, my client was simply reenacting events witnessed in a video game. It is clearly fault of the game creators, they should be held responsible for including such violent material in their products.

*Judge looks directly at kid being accused*

Judge: So, your excuse for beating up a 7 yr old girl almost to death is that a video game prompted you to?

Kid: Um, yeah

Judge: What's the name of the game?

Kid: Mortal Kombat

Judge: Kid, how old are you?

Kid: 15

Judge: Why were you playing an M rated game in the first place?

Kid: Umm. . .

Lawyer: Your honor, my client was not aware of the graphic material included in the game before the purchase.

Judge: Yeah, sure, ok. I've heard enough. This kid isn't old enough to even be playing the game, but he sure is old enough to know that beating up a minor and blaming a video game for it is stupid. Therefore i sentence him to death by Scorpion's Spear. Date of execution: Right now.

*Scorpion rises from audience*

Scorpion: My pleasure, GET OVER HERE!!

Kid: Ugh *dies*[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

I honeslty don't understand why stopping minors playing mature games hasnt happened before. In England theirs an age certificate rating on games just like films. A 10 year old wont be able to purchase the 18 rated GTA so why is it America lets it happen? Just pure stupidity.

Posted by Illyria110

Most people don't care I suppose. That's why it happens.

Posted by Fate

Aioros wins the thread. Flawless victory.

Quoting Bebop: I honeslty don't understand why stopping minors playing mature games hasnt happened before. In England theirs an age certificate rating on games just like films. A 10 year old wont be able to purchase the 18 rated GTA so why is it America lets it happen? Just pure stupidity.

I think that's the main problem that gamers are facing with the media. Did you hear about that lawsuit against Take Two (or RS, I forget)? I think a grandmother bought the game for her grandson thinking it was okay for him, but then she "saw the sex scene" and was traumatized by it, as if beating a hooker with a baseball bat wasn't bad enough!

Bascially, it's the adults at fault here. Retailers aren't allowed to sell M-rated games to kids under seventeen, so it's kind of easy to see where they get their games from.

Posted by Klarth

I don't get it. If they're only preventing them from playing violent mmo's or online FPSes or what have you, how is that any different from killing NPC's? You're not doing any physical damage to anyone in playing a pvp game online, so it really shouldn't make any difference.

Far as I'm concerned, it's a silly implementation I don't care about because I don't play anything online, but if they're gonna carry this out, they should at least ban children from playing any game involving killing. whatever

Quoted post: I don't get it. If they're only preventing them from playing violent mmo's or online FPSes or what have you, how is that any different from killing NPC's? You're not doing any physical damage to anyone in playing a pvp game online, so it really shouldn't make any difference.

Far as I'm concerned, it's a silly implementation I don't care about because I don't play anything online, but if they're gonna carry this out, they should at least ban children from playing any game involving killing. whatever

It's very difficult to do what you stated there in your last setence. What they are trying to do is take a step in the right direction. You're right though, it may be a little silly, but it's really all they can do. And even this isn't a garuntee.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: y'know whats really funny is uh.. Mrs Clinton is Hardcore Liberal. And well you'd expect Liberals to be ok with things like "Hot Coffee." And yet she's acting conservatively.

1. She's a complete and blant media whore

2. She's trying to get conservatives on her side in the case that she ever runs for an office again.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I think that it should just be assumed by the courts that M-rated video games are not being sold to minors without parental permission, regardless of how often M-rated games slip through the system. That's someone else's job to worry about, not the court's after-the-fact. Studies should continue, and penalties should be administered to stores that sell the games to minors, but at no point during a trial for a crime should any blame be pointed at a store for selling the game to someone they shouldn't have. Parents should be held responsible long before any retaillers.

Posted by project101

Thats not totally true the media in the games is good poblicidy (or how ever you spell it please tell me) cuase if kids here that it has lots of violence or what ever they will go buy the game unfortanatly thats also in a way its bad attention the company may not want

Posted by loathing

Nothing long-term will happen in regards to this whole fiasco. Videogames are our generation's rock and roll music. People will posture and shout for reform, some more labels will get slapped on the back of your games, and life will continue on as always.

Posted by Poco

This kinda would be a blow to people like me who play PvP in Guild Wars. It said online games and stuff where the objective is killing to be 18, but I'd rather keep the 13 year old Monk who's a good team player then the 22 year old guy who calls you a "fag" afte ryou mess up. I'm not sure if this would effect MMORPG's, and don't mean to sound stupid if it does.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Parents should be held responsible long before any retaillers.

Exactly. If there is any way a minor can get past a law restricting them, parents come into play here. If they have let them play M-rated games in the past what is the difference if they still let them play after the law? It doesn't seem like they cared about teh game enough to look into it before and set restrictions themselves. If a minor can't get a game at the store, he can always ask his parents to go and buy it for him. Therefore, even though the store retailer would think he is selling the game to an adult, in reality the adult is just serving as a someone to get the game for the minor. This is how this law will be very hard to control on what kids play.

[quote]This kinda would be a blow to people like me who play PvP in Guild Wars. It said online games and stuff where the objective is killing to be 18, but I'd rather keep the 13 year old Monk who's a good team player then the 22 year old guy who calls you a "fag" afte ryou mess up. I'm not sure if this would effect MMORPG's, and don't mean to sound stupid if it does.

Indeed, I've faced many situations like this on GW. The older guy wouldn't follow directions much and just yell at you because he thinks he knows what he is doing. In turn he gets your team pwned. Or he would just yell at you if you die on accident. Yeah, like that is encouraging. And I don't think this law would affect any T MMO's. The law states for mature games to be restricted to minors. T games are for, well teenagers like most of us here. So the law can't hurt T games. And people have to accept that killing is in most games and you just have to deal with it. You can't get away from death it's everywhere. The media promotes this the most if anything.

Posted by Random

I remember my days of buying Mature Games when I was like 10. There was never really a problem. Even now I don't get carded or anything. May I just look old I don't know... Anytime a friend wants chew or something and he doesn't have his ID I go in and end up not getting carded. But back to the subject I remember buying those games well before I was 17.

Whats really the difference between M and A? 1 whole year. OMFG You GREW UP SO F*CKING MUCH IN 1 YEAR. WHOOPTEEDOO..

And yes being in retailing, we had to pull all of our San Andreas Games for PC/Xbox/PS2 and had to get them relabled.

Posted by Fate

A ban on anyone under eighteen playing violent online games is a good thing. This isn't even about the rating system.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Fate: A ban on anyone under eighteen playing violent online games is a good thing. This isn't even about the rating system.

[COLOR=Yellow]ESRB needs to fix it's rating system before a ban like that is implemented. The thought of a 15 yr old not being able to buy Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil 4 is ridiculous. The system they have now is flawed and we all know it.

I agree though that it should be illegal to play violent games (or M rated games) online before you turn 18.[/COLOR]

Posted by Draxamus

Oh yeah, China's a reeeeeal good example of how America should be SARCASM! Man Fate, you turn 17 and suddenly you're ready to cut off everyone younger than you. When did YOU start playing violent games? Me, I've been playing games that could be considered violent since the 80s. I'm just as surprised as anyone else that I haven't gone out on some murderous rampage yet. While we're at it, we better get a rating system for books, and ban minors from reading books deemed innappropriate for them BY THE GRAND COUNCIL OF MORALITY. They had us read "The Outsiders" in grade school, a book filled with adult situations, murder, and sexual tension! Shit, that book alone must have increased violent crimes here by at least 30%.

All sarcasm aside, I don't think "adults" give minors enough credit. I'm almost 19, but not too long ago I was a minor too. I could handle violence on TV, and in books, and in video games--sex too. I could grasp it, and it didn't warp my mind. The people who become warped and deranged are the people who live sheltered lives. You keep your kid locked away from reality, and when he has to go out into it, he's gonna crack.

Let's keep the rating system, but ditch the state-imposed parenting. Let the parents do their own job.

Posted by Fate

It's not that I turned eighteen all of a sudden that has me thinking this way. It's only a ban on violent video games online, which I think is a good idea to keep the media out of online-game lawsuits with deaths and ****. I can say I was pretty mature at that age, too, but if I could benefit in the future by having violent online video games banned to minors, I wouldn't argue. :/

I don't want to shelter anyone. I just want the media out of our faces.

Posted by Draxamus

The media is is out to exploit everything, and so are politicians. If not with video games, then with something else. You give in and you just hand over all the power.

Posted by Necrololicon

Quoting SomebodyRandom: I remember my days of buying Mature Games when I was like 10. There was never really a problem. Even now I don't get carded or anything. May I just look old I don't know... Anytime a friend wants chew or something and he doesn't have his ID I go in and end up not getting carded. But back to the subject I remember buying those games well before I was 17.

Whats really the difference between M and A? 1 whole year. OMFG You GREW UP SO F*CKING MUCH IN 1 YEAR. WHOOPTEEDOO..

And yes being in retailing, we had to pull all of our San Andreas Games for PC/Xbox/PS2 and had to get them relabled.

Uhh, the difference is Walmart and almost all non video game specific retailers won't sell AO games, and they account for 80% of the profit. Casual gamers don't always seek out a Gamestop or EB- they might head to Walmart to pick up that new game they heard about, and if it's not being sold there, they might not get it. Especially if that person is 15 or 16 and the parent hears why it's not being sold at the local Walmart/Target/Wherever.

Following China's example is one of the worst things to do. Look what they've done to their internet- Google and Yahoo have brought forth lawsuits to even be allowed to function there. China has its own "section" of the internet, which we can't really access, and none of them can access outside of that section. I don't want my internet to be restricted to my country, run by my government, and solely created by big businesses and politicians.

Posted by Arczu

I can only see this problem getting way out of hand in the future.

Sure, it can be annoying when from time to time, you have to put up with some 14 year old who can't stop eating the microphone, but I think there would be a severe uproar if this happened in America.

Quoted post: Uhh, the difference is Walmart and almost all non video game specific retailers won't sell AO games, and they account for 80% of the profit. Casual gamers don't always seek out a Gamestop or EB- they might head to Walmart to pick up that new game they heard about, and if it's not being sold there, they might not get it. Especially if that person is 15 or 16 and the parent hears why it's not being sold at the local Walmart/Target/Wherever.

Indeed, and that's a very bad thing for any developer/publisher. Because if Walmart doesn't sell it (since they tend to outsell and other store when to comes to video games), they lose a lot of money.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Necrololicon: I don't want my internet to be restricted to my country, run by my government, and solely created by big businesses and politicians.

Not the internet, just online gaming with violent video games. :/

Posted by Kal

Yeah, it would be better to play games with out all the little kids being immature and stuff, but then again, it could hurt the gaming industrie, for people may not register just because they have to show ID and such.

If their willing to pay a monthly fee, I doubt proving their age would top them.